PDA

View Full Version : Charging Handle Question

txbonds
11-13-08, 07:12
Can changing out a charging handle help smooth out the action when you pull the charging handle?

I've felt the action on other guns where it felt much more smooth. My upper, while nice and relatively new with only about 200rds through it (supposedly) shows quite a bit of paint loss on the charging handle. And, I can feel what I'd call rubbing or friction when pulling it.

To lay ground work, if you haven't seen my other post, my rifle contains the following:

Mega upper/lower
Noveske barrel, bolt carrier group
chrome silicone action spring & H buffer

My charging handle, appears to be just the most basic cheap aluminum variety. No markings to determine the brand.

I was planning to go back and apply grease to my action spring, as I read it will help control some of the noise from the spring, and I figured it might smooth the action a little too.

What else should I look at? The upper appears like new with hardly any wear. Could the charging handle be the sole culprit? Would a nicer one make a difference? Do you grease or lube a charging handle at all? etc......

Thanks for any pointers. This is my first AR (not first gun), so no prior experience to fall back on here for what works best.

markm
11-13-08, 07:41
If the gun works, Don't mess with it.

Yes! some of my charging handles are slicker in finish. Some are gritty.

DON'T be putting shit on your recoil spring. The noise is normal.... Ignore it or get used to it.

Don't get hung up on this "feelings" crap. Focus on marksmanship, weapons manipulation, etc. It's important that you get rid of this "feelings" instinct....

Otherwise you'll end up being one of those fruit balls who posts on the internet that the Glock doesn't Feel right in your hand! :eek::p

txbonds
11-13-08, 07:51
Otherwise you'll end up being one of those fruit balls who posts on the internet that the Glock doesn't Feel right in your hand! :eek::p

A Glock doesn't feel right in my hand compared to my Steyr M-A1. :eek:

But I get what you are saying.

On the grease on the action spring thing, it was recommended in the AR-15 Assembly Guide book, so that's where I got it from, but didn't do it. The book also recommends blue locktite on the buffer tube threads also, but didn't do that either. Just properly tightened the castle nut and will stake it eventually.

Iraqgunz
11-13-08, 10:14
I have not read the guide that you are referring to. However, anyone that advocates putting Loc-Tite on the lower receiver extension, castle nut, or barrel threads is an idiot and I would disregard anything else that they say.

Putting grease on your spring is also idiotic advice and will more than likely lead to more issues. As demigod stated forget that spring sound. If it is really that bothersome get another rifle.

A Glock doesn't feel right in my hand compared to my Steyr M-A1. :eek:

But I get what you are saying.

On the grease on the action spring thing, it was recommended in the AR-15 Assembly Guide book, so that's where I got it from, but didn't do it. The book also recommends blue locktite on the buffer tube threads also, but didn't do that either. Just properly tightened the castle nut and will stake it eventually.

txbonds
11-13-08, 10:31
I have not read the guide that you are referring to. However, anyone that advocates putting Loc-Tite on the lower receiver extension, castle nut, or barrel threads is an idiot and I would disregard anything else that they say.

Putting grease on your spring is also idiotic advice and will more than likely lead to more issues. As demigod stated forget that spring sound. If it is really that bothersome get another rifle.

Thanks, I read it in this book:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=559952

It suggested locktite on barrel thread and buffer thread, neither of which I did as I'd already read elsewhere that it was a bad idea.