PDA

View Full Version : DPMS?

cavscoutEd
11-13-08, 07:48
Does anyone have any experience with DPMS lowers? thoughts, and or, opinions?

Thanks

markm
11-13-08, 07:58
I bet they're pretty decent. I just couldn't bring myself to own anything with "DPMS" on it..... even if it were filled up and dressed up with good parts otherwise.

My brother in law loves his. He's not real deep into the technical aspects of what makes an AR good or bad though.

Don Robison
11-13-08, 08:01
I bet they're pretty decent. I just couldn't bring myself to own anything with "DPMS" on it..... even if it were filled up and dressed up with good parts otherwise.

Same here

ckmark
11-13-08, 10:22
I personally have never had a problem with my DPMS Products. When the .308 lr came out I picked up one and liked it so much I purchased one of their carbines for a very reasonable price.... Even though I already own 2 colts. I guess you could say hit or miss, I've just never had a problem at all. Price saves you a few bucks imo.

jasonhgross
11-13-08, 11:02
I got one for $650, it has been very reliable with both .223 and my .22Lr kit, with all types of mags including mags that are not liked by my bushmaster.

csun_00
11-13-08, 11:23
I am sure not many will like what I say but... I have one with a Sabre upper. I really like it, there does not seem to be much difference, then again I have changed a lot of the original parts. The LPK is original but I have a magpul UBR and a MIAD, I like it a lot it serves my needs.

Charlie Golf
11-13-08, 11:48

My brother in law loves his. He's not real deep into the technical aspects of what makes an AR good or bad though.

Would you expand on that?

How come you couldn't bring yourself to buy something from DPMS?

What technical aspects of DPMS do you believe makes it "bad."

Not attacking, seriously curious because I can buy a DPMS lower today from a store a mile from my house if I wanted to but don't wanna waste money if there is something better I can get now for the coin ya' know what I'm saying? :)

Damascus
11-13-08, 15:26
Generally, the "specs" are just things that are preferred for combat rifles... things such as chrome lined barrels, chambers, and gas keys, mil-spec extension tubes, and non-MP tested components.. If someone could post a link to the "chart" as it's called on here, that will show you what DPMS rifles have compared to other companies. Keep in mind that chart is for base model rifles... on the high-end, DPMS makes a rifle called the Mark 12, with an 18" heavy barrel, which is one of the most accurate AR's I've ever witnessed on the range... but the price tag on one puts it up there with Colt, S&W, LMT, etc, and, well, you know the rest.
For a first AR, or a target/hunting rifle, DPMS would be fine.

cavscoutEd
11-13-08, 19:50
Thanks for the info guys. I know a guy that has a couple and is willing to part with one, so maybe i'll go ahead and buy it.
Ed

Don Robison
11-14-08, 05:25
Would you expand on that?

How come you couldn't bring yourself to buy something from DPMS?

What technical aspects of DPMS do you believe makes it "bad."

Not attacking, seriously curious because I can buy a DPMS lower today from a store a mile from my house if I wanted to but don't wanna waste money if there is something better I can get now for the coin ya' know what I'm saying? :)

Since I answered the same way.
They assemble with no standard and use substandard parts. The only worse LPKs I have seen have been in Oly Arms stuff. By time I finished replacing the LPK, BCG, barrel, RE and stock; I might as well spend the money on a rifle built correctly the first time.

Charlie Golf
11-14-08, 10:24
Since I answered the same way.
They assemble with no standard and use substandard parts. The only worse LPKs I have seen have been in Oly Arms stuff. By time I finished replacing the LPK, BCG, barrel, RE and stock; I might as well spend the money on a rifle built correctly the first time.

Okay, I think I gotcha. So strictly speaking it's not the stripped lowers you have an issue with but rather the internals that make up a complete lower?

I have read that DPMS, CMMG, and Double Star are all forged by the same manufacturer (LAR). Of course to the individual specs for each company but one would expect that quality of job should be relatively consistent across receivers that come out of the same place off the same machines with the same techs running them.

I would imagine that the only deciding factor then would be price. And yes, I have seen DPMS lowers (stripped) for significantly more than CMMG or Double Star although the DPMS were readily available. What's that saying..."A Receiver in the hand is worth two in..." :D

Damascus
11-14-08, 13:34
I've owned a couple DPMS carbines in the past, and although I sold them, they never gave me any trouble... but if I were in the market right now to buy a cheaper rifle, I'd consider Bushmaster over DPMS, or I'd save up another couple hundred and just buy a base model S&W or LMT..
I've not owned a Double Star, but I've seen several at the range and the shop, and they all appear to be very well made rifles... I think you should give them a look see as well.
Good luck! As long as you stay away from Vulcan/Hesse and Olympic Arms, you should be fine.

Don Robison
11-14-08, 13:50
Okay, I think I gotcha. So strictly speaking it's not the stripped lowers you have an issue with but rather the internals that make up a complete lower?

I have read that DPMS, CMMG, and Double Star are all forged by the same manufacturer (LAR). Of course to the individual specs for each company but one would expect that quality of job should be relatively consistent across receivers that come out of the same place off the same machines with the same techs running them.

I would imagine that the only deciding factor then would be price. And yes, I have seen DPMS lowers (stripped) for significantly more than CMMG or Double Star although the DPMS were readily available. What's that saying..."A Receiver in the hand is worth two in..." :D

Yep, you got me. It's primarily the assembly and parts selection that turn me off.
Me not buying their stripped lowers is simply a matter of principle. Lately I've been using Spikes and Cav Arms lowers for builds. I was finding them in the $75-80 price range while the local shops were trying to get $200+ for a stripped DPMS. It's probably the least critical part of the build as long as all of the holes are in spec.
I use LMT or CMT internals and LMT uppers or when I can find them Bravo Company uppers always with LMT BCGs. Occasionally I will build an upper for a precision rig. I'm down to three lowers and I'm thinking one of them may become a DMR type just because.
I've went the cheap(cheap being both cost and quality) route in the past and it never pays off and never turns out to be what you wanted. It usually ends in disappointment and more money being laid out.

YMMV
Don

rodinal220
11-14-08, 15:13
DPMS lowers are GTG.I have used plenty of them and find no issues.They do not make them and if you do some research, most of the forged lowers are made by 4 manufactures for the industry.

I have used Eagle,Armalite,Essential Arms cast and forged,RGuns TRR,DPMS,OLY milled.The only one that was a POS was the OLY,not dimensionally correct in many ways,purple-black color,needed extensive fitting to work.

In a recent group buy I did, one out of the ten Essential Arms forged lowers needed the receiver extension threads chased with a tap.But otherwise I have had good luck with them.

Buy the lower with the best price,from a known "quality" vendor,the markings that appeal to you and have the best color match to your upper.Color match moot if you are coating.

Avoid anything Hesse/Vulcan.

Don Robison
11-14-08, 15:26
I have used Eagle,Armalite,Essential Arms cast and forged,RGuns TRR,DPMS,OLY milled.The only one that was a POS was the OLY,not dimensionally correct in many ways,purple-black color,needed extensive fitting to work.

A blast from the past, my first AR was built on an Essential Arms cast lower. Back before Luth(DPMS) essentially forced them out of business.
FWIW, it's still running after 22 years, 1000's of rounds and 3 uppers. I keep it more for sentimental value.

C4IGrant
11-14-08, 15:38
Lowers are generally all the same so I wouldn't worry to much about them (especially in this political climate).

C4

twodollarbill
11-14-08, 20:50
My DPMS has never failed me.....Seriously!!!

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg117/twodollarbill/DSC05103.jpg

Jim_M
11-14-08, 21:22
My first post. Hello. My first lower (bought yesterday) is a DPMS. I'm a devoted USPSA shooter and DPMS is a big supporter of the games. Showing my appreciation. Can't wait to finish it.

Jim