PDA

View Full Version : NRA Instructor Course

Dedicatedpro
11-13-08, 09:47
AAI (www.dedicated-professionals.com) will be hosting an instructor development course for those who are interested in becoming a NRA Certified Instructor in pistol, rifle, shotgun and Range Safety Officer.

The prerequisite to being able to attend this course is that you have to be able to provide documentation of training in each of the disciplines from a reputable instructor/firm (email adler@dedicated-professionals.com) for clarification.

The cost is $325 for all 4 disciplines and will be held on Saturday, December 20th by a NRA certified counselor. This is a limited seat course that will be held in Lake City, Florida and payment must be made by December 1st in order for the home study materials to be sent to each participant prior to the classroom/range portion.

This course will then enable participants to go forth and pass instruction on to the masses enabling those who wish to obtain their CCW licenses and promote responsible firearms ownership and support the 2nd ammendment.

For more info email adler@dedicated-professionals.com (adler@dedicated-professionals.com)

Unitl Next Time ... Take Care and Stay Aware!

shuwtist
11-21-08, 18:19
NRA policy and procedure is all courses have a minimum time requirement, and must be conducted face to face. This course would need to be 51 hours long, and if I am not mistaken, would be impossible to do in ONE day. It doesn't matter what prior qualifications an instructor candidate has - whether they are an olympic trap shooter, USMC sniper, LEO, it doesn't matter. The course is 51 hours long for these disciplines! Let me break it down -

Basic Instructor Training - 6 hours
Pistol Discipline - 11 hours
Rifle Discipline - 14 hours
Shotgun Discipline - 11 hours
Range Safety Officer - 9 hours

If the "NRA Counselor" has an explanation on how this can be conducted in ONE day, please have him contact me. NRA Training Department will be on the look-out for any instructor applications being submitted from this course, and will not process them.

Sincerely

John Howard
NRA National Instructor Trainer
NRA Education & Training

Dedicatedpro
11-21-08, 21:14
NRA policy and procedure is all courses have a minimum time requirement, and must be conducted face to face. This course would need to be 51 hours long, and if I am not mistaken, would be impossible to do in ONE day. It doesn't matter what prior qualifications an instructor candidate has - whether they are an olympic trap shooter, USMC sniper, LEO, it doesn't matter. The course is 51 hours long for these disciplines! Let me break it down -

Basic Instructor Training - 6 hours
Pistol Discipline - 11 hours
Rifle Discipline - 14 hours
Shotgun Discipline - 11 hours
Range Safety Officer - 9 hours

If the "NRA Counselor" has an explanation on how this can be conducted in ONE day, please have him contact me. NRA Training Department will be on the look-out for any instructor applications being submitted from this course, and will not process them.

Sincerely

John Howard
NRA National Instructor Trainer
NRA Education & Training

Myself and the counselor that I am hosting to conduct this course were contacted by a NRA representative regarding this thread due to some hurt feelings by existing NRA Instructors. In consulting with one another, we thought that the prerequisites that I listed would have more than sufficed for the required timeframes (upwards of 60 hours of combined advanced training in the listed disciplines along with 2 weeks of homestudy and preparation and roughly 12 hours of presentation on the practical application day totaling approximately 72 hours), but have been advised by NRA that it is not acceptable. Hence we will conduct the advertised course on two consecutive weekends (December 12-14 and 19-21) in the required topics.

I will be contacting those who have registered to discuss this matter with them.

Sorry for any inconvenience that this posting might have caused.

shuwtist
11-21-08, 23:36
Myself and the counselor that I am hosting to conduct this course were contacted by a NRA representative regarding this thread due to some hurt feelings by existing NRA Instructors. In consulting with one another, we thought that the prerequisites that I listed would have more than sufficed for the required timeframes (upwards of 60 hours of combined advanced training in the listed disciplines along with 2 weeks of homestudy and preparation and roughly 12 hours of presentation on the practical application day totaling approximately 72 hours), but have been advised by NRA that it is not acceptable. Hence we will conduct the advertised course on two consecutive weekends (December 12-14 and 19-21) in the required topics.

I will be contacting those who have registered to discuss this matter with them.

Sorry for any inconvenience that this posting might have caused.

Please work with NRA Training Department to "fix" this.

CarlosDJackal
11-26-08, 14:07
I just came across this thread and I want to thank John and whoever brought up this issue with him and the NRA for enforcing the standards.

When I took the NRA Instructor Certification in pistol more than 7 years ago, it started at 5PM on a Friday and did not finish until Sunday evening. It was grueling and mentally taxing. But I have found that even though some people might spit at the term "the NRA way"; I have been able to take the lessons I learned in that course and apply it to other aspects of my life.

This includes attending and completing the following classes: Simunitions Instructor and Safety Course (by FX) and the Patrol Response to Active Shooters (by the NTOA). I have also used the lessons I learned to prepare for and conduct training for my Soldiers in such topics as: React to Direct Fire while Mounted, OPSEC, SAEDA, and others. On the Law Enforcement side, I have used my experience to help train my fellow LEOs in Basic and Intermediate Pistol to include assisting in the DCJS Mandated 40-hour Pistol class earlier this year.

IMHO, by trying to cut this class down to just one day that so-called NRA Certified Counselor is doing his students, their future students, and the Shooting Sports a great dis-service. And he or she is doing it by charging a lot of money for it to boot!! I didn't pay nearly that amount for my Pistol Instructor Certification courses (I am now certified to teach Basic Pistol, FIRST Steps, Home Firearms Safety, and Personal Protection in the Home as well as being a Range Safety Officer (I am also one of the club designated RSOs).

One of the individual who attended the same Instructor Course I was in is now a certified LE Instructor and he told me just how helpful being a Certified NRA Instructor was when he attended the DCJS General Instructors Course and the follow-on courses. Anyone who wants to become an NRA Instructor should never settle for these unapproved "short versions". This class may not teach you to become a Master Class shooter, but it will teach you to be a Good Instructor. JM2CW.