PDA

View Full Version : What Rail

GRIMSHAW
08-08-19, 19:57
How can I add this tripod to my heat shield with no rail??

mark5pt56
08-08-19, 20:04
No, you need a rail. It appears you have a bipod? You would need to affix a short section of rail to the hand guards like you have on the right side of the whatever it is. If it's a grippd or copy thereof, read and read again the next sentence.

It's your gun but maybe you need to rethink what you are "slappin" on it? The cheapest option is a Magpul hand guard set with a rail added and a vertical grip if that's what you are after.

For what it's worth and maybe I'm wrong but "M4" hand guards should have the heat shields glued in--I do do see any of that on yours.

boss_hawg
08-08-19, 21:50
You can buy a picatinny rail section that installs between the heat guard and the inside of the hand guard. A couple of places sell them. They are not too difficult to install but you have to pry the heat shield out, install the pic section, and reinstall the heat shield. This will allow you to mount that pic bipod onto the picatinny rail.

boss_hawg
08-08-19, 22:00
Something like this should work

https://www.gggaz.com/ar-15-m16-under-forearm-integrated-rail-ufir.html

tehpwnag3
08-09-19, 08:01
Those gizmos work ok, but IME the handguards wiggle and flex quite a bit, and loosen more over time. At a minimum I would recommend a good set of drop-in aluminum rails or go all in on a free float rail system.

matemike
08-09-19, 08:57
Those gizmos work ok, but IME the handguards wiggle and flex quite a bit, and loosen more over time. At a minimum I would recommend a good set of drop-in aluminum rails or go all in on a free float rail system.

I recommend this. ^

Why do you want the bipod on your rifle? Is this your first accessory? If so, I expect you'll want more and more. In that case get a real rail for your AR. Either the drop in kind that uses the delta ring or one from centurion that uses the delta ring nut but not the spring loaded ring.

If you are adamant about keeping the heat shields I will suggest one of those bipods that has a 90 degree bar that extends up and is suppose to hook into a sling mount on a bolt action rifle. That bar can be fitted into one of the holes on the heat shield and snugs up pretty well for light use.

everready73
08-09-19, 09:13
I would just buy on of the Magpul handguards with mlock and add a rail section to mount the bipod. They are only like 20-30 bucks and probably the easiest solution

Merle
08-09-19, 09:26
For what it's worth and maybe I'm wrong but "M4" hand guards should have the heat shields glued in--I do do see any of that on yours.

From what I've seen the clip in under molded in tabs. The handguards he posted a picture are from the G&R Tactical website and appear to be Colt M4 double heat shield hand gaurds.

OP; I'd forgo the "chow hall kickstand". They get sand and other crap in them and get seized up. Take others advice and get a vertical grip from Magpul, BCM, etc.

Pappabear
08-09-19, 10:29
Save your money and buy a real free float handguard. Soon after your bipod you will want a light ....people here will tell you buy once cry once. Buy a decent rail so you can add accessories as needed.

PB

GH41
08-09-19, 14:08
Save your money and buy a real free float handguard. Soon after your bipod you will want a light ....people here will tell you buy once cry once. Buy a decent rail so you can add accessories as needed.

PB

Exactly! What purpose does a bipod serve on a handguard that isn't floated anyway??

556BlackRifle
08-09-19, 17:49

PB

+2 Just get a free float handguard. When you load your bipod, you're going to affect POI. Worst yet, every time you change surfaces, (dirt, cement, gravel, barricade, rocks, etc.) depending on the amount of pressure when preloading, the amount of POI shift could vary greatly.