PDA

View Full Version : Did the El Paso Wal-mart have a "no guns" policy?

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-10-19, 09:20
I am curious. Does anyone actually know if the El Paso Wal-mart had a no gun policy posted? I hear this but I can't find it.

TexHill
08-10-19, 10:03
Wal-Marts in Texas allow licensed handgun owners to carry inside the stores. By state law, the carrying of all of other firearms - long guns - is a felony because of the sale of beer and wine on the premises.

Wake27
08-10-19, 11:33
Someone somewhere made the point that a lot of the victims were Mexicans, so it stands to reason that a lot of the people inside were as well, and therefore the percentage of people that could be carrying would be pretty small. I don’t know how true it is but it’d make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpmuscle
08-10-19, 12:41
Wal-Marts in Texas allow licensed handgun owners to carry inside the stores. By state law, the carrying of all of other firearms - long guns - is a felony because of the sale of beer and wine on the premises.

For as much as people want to rah rah Muh Texas they have a lot of stupid gun laws

Renegade
08-10-19, 12:57
By state law, the carrying of all of other firearms - long guns - is a felony because of the sale of beer and wine on the premises.

Can you cite that law? 46.02 only applies to handguns, and the other prohibitions only apply if the place is 51%.

Doc Safari
08-10-19, 13:03

I'm guessing by that Texas allows concealed carry in any establishment that sells alcohol?

TexHill
08-10-19, 13:07
Here are the signs that are posted at the entrance to any store in Texas that sells beer and wine, but gets less than 51% of its revenue from alcohol. There is no license to carry a long gun in Texas - Constitutional carry - so it's illegal to carry one where alcohol is sold.

https://i.imgur.com/me9ZxM3.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/mCg6Wa6.jpg

Renegade
08-10-19, 13:16
Here are the signs that are posted at the entrance to any store in Texas that sells beer and wine, but gets less than 51% of its revenue from alcohol. There is no license to carry a long gun in Texas - Constitutional carry - so it's illegal to carry one where alcohol is sold.

I am familiar with the signs.

What I cannot find is a LAW that backs them up and enforces them. As far as I can tell, those signs are no more enforceable than a gunbusters sign.

TexHill
08-10-19, 13:16
I'm guessing by that Texas allows concealed carry in any establishment that sells alcohol?

In Texas, all firearms are prohibited inside a business that gets 51% or more of its revenue from the sale of alcohol.

fledge
08-10-19, 13:34
Someone somewhere made the point that a lot of the victims were Mexicans, so it stands to reason that a lot of the people inside were as well, and therefore the percentage of people that could be carrying would be pretty small. I don’t know how true it is but it’d make sense.

I’ve heard this point as well. Because we don’t protect human rights of illegal immigrants, they are defenseless and an easier target.

AndyLate
08-11-19, 21:38

The hotel I stayed at the last two times I was in El Paso for work was fairly close to the Walmart where the shooting was. Every time I went to that Walmart, more than half the cars in the parking lot had Mexican plates. Other shoppers there were likely military families living on base, probably not carrying.

Andy

jsbhike
08-11-19, 22:15
Wasn't his manifesto the one that mentioned he was picking an easy target? Most obviously choose easy, but seems like he stated as such.