PDA

View Full Version : Annihilation (Review)

WillBrink
08-12-19, 09:10
I was not expecting much from this one, buy someone recommend it, so checked it out. Glad I did. This movie really gets under your skin, more SF horror than SF, and is quite graphic in spots, hence the R rating. It's generally well constructed, and visually impressive. A few spots require a solid suspension of disbelief, but all in all, delivers where it needs to. They hint at the significance of the all female team, but don't really spell it out. I'm told the book did a better job of that aspect. It's far from a perfect movie, but it works overall and is genuinely creepy in spots. B+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89OP78l9oF0

mack7.62
08-12-19, 09:23
Will,
Where did you watch this? Streaming service or ?

glocktogo
08-12-19, 09:27
Same here, I enjoyed it for the most part.

WillBrink
08-12-19, 09:55
Will,
Where did you watch this? Streaming service or ?

Was free with Amazon Prime.

austinN4
08-12-19, 11:10
It is available on NetFlix. I thought it was boring and only gave it a 2 out of 5.

Edited to add: Alex Garland, Director also directed Ex Machina, which I really liked.

WickedWillis
08-12-19, 12:11
The bear might be one of the most underrated movie monsters in recent memory. Legitimately scary.

Alex V
08-12-19, 12:27
I'm on the fence about this movie. I watched it some time ago and thought it has some awesome spots, just something about it prevents it from being great for me. I can't quite put my finger on it though. The ambiguity of the ending was excellent!

I am told the book did a better job, as is so often the case.

MountainRaven
08-12-19, 13:23
I'm on the fence about this movie. I watched it some time ago and thought it has some awesome spots, just something about it prevents it from being great for me. I can't quite put my finger on it though. The ambiguity of the ending was excellent!

The book also had a couple of sequels to help flesh out the story a little more, too.

Sequels that I think were planned to be made, but the studio releasing the movie apparently didn't have any idea what to do with it and basically torpedoed its chances of making any money and therefore sequels. (One review I read suggested that the studio apparently didn't understand the movie's intended audience: They released the movie in theaters in the US and on streaming in the EU - forgetting that American moviegoers typically want to see movies like it in their own homes, while Europeans prefer to see them in theaters.)

WillBrink
08-12-19, 13:36
The bear might be one of the most underrated movie monsters in recent memory. Legitimately scary.

That scene comes mind when i said "This movie really gets under your skin." Legit creepy.

WillBrink
08-12-19, 13:39

It's not a great movie, but it is a good movie.

donlapalma
08-12-19, 17:52
I really enjoyed this movie. There was a good amount of wonder and suspense for me. Liked it enough to watch more than once.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-12-19, 18:53
What is the secret about the all girl team?

Please, please, please be what I think it is ;)

I thought it was ok overall. Visually stunning. Freaky. Talk about ‘going native’.....

HardToHandle
08-12-19, 19:45
Thought provoking movie. I had the same reaction as Alex described above, lots of potential but they didn’t close the deal.

The bear and swimming pool were freaky. The ending scene really has/had potential.
The lighthouse scene was pretty underwhelming and lasted forever. Less than compelling.
All the military aspects were BS. The operator husband was a fail from the start and that cheese turned me off.
Overall plot pacing was screwy - seems like screenplay was trying to be a chick empowerment flick, horror movie and 2001, A Space Odyssey all at the same time. If they had focused on one theme, it would have been more coherent.

That said, still a movie that is worth a few hours to watch if you like sci-fi. The ending is a decent payoff for sticking through it.

HardToHandle
08-12-19, 19:52
Also appreciate Will’s movie reviews. I don’t always agree, but appreciate someone making entertainment recommendations these days.

If it wasn’t for this site, I wouldn’t have watched the Highwaymen.

sundance435
08-12-19, 21:18

I thought the same (didn’t read the books), but it was still a good movie. Creepy, yet oddly beautiful, too.

CRAMBONE
08-12-19, 22:31
That scene comes mind when i said "This movie really gets under your skin." Legit creepy.

The bear scene in the house and the girl turning into a plant gave me the hebe gebes! I thought it was a decent movie overall.

WillBrink
08-13-19, 08:43
What is the secret about the all girl team?

Please, please, please be what I think it is ;)

I thought it was ok overall. Visually stunning. Freaky. Talk about ‘going native’.....

It's sorta explained in the movie as she does ask about it and got a response, at least enough so as at least let you move forward and enjoy the movie. I suspect the books go deeper into the why of it.

It was like " we sent all men and they never came back and we sent mixed teams and they never came back, so I'm going to try an all female team this time" to paraphrase. You don't remember that scene?