PDA

View Full Version : Who shoots 50 BMG?

Dave L.
11-13-08, 13:11
Hey guys, I'm thinking about joining the 50 cal world.
What do you own and how do you like it?
TIA,
Dave

andre3k
11-13-08, 13:30
I own an AR-50 and love it. Better plan on reloading and buying all the surplus components that you can buy now. Primers and mil-surp bullets are what I would focus on.

Dave L.
11-14-08, 06:21
I own an AR-50 and love it. Better plan on reloading and buying all the surplus components that you can buy now. Primers and mil-surp bullets are what I would focus on.

The AR-50, although very economical, is a little heavier than what I want.
I'm looking at a Barrett M99; although it may not be as accurate as the AR-50, its about the size I'm looking for. I have heard of it shooting 11-12" groups at 1000 yards with hand loads and that's good enough for me.

What size groups are you getting out of your AR-50?

Robb Jensen
11-14-08, 06:42
My wife owns an ArmaLite AR50 and really likes it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/Bonnieshooting50.jpg

30 cal slut
11-14-08, 08:08
barrett guy here. :cool:

Dave L.
11-14-08, 08:17
barrett guy here. :cool:

What do you have? How do you like it?

SCL
11-14-08, 15:11
I have owned and shot a .50BMG on some platform since 1994. Started out with a Barrett 90 (father to the current M95 mag fed bolt action), and have had Barrett M82A1 and an EDM Omni as well. Finally settled on the EDM Windrunner and wouldn't get any other .50 on the market.

The Windrunner is sub MOA accurate with match ammo (if the shooter does his part), breaks down to an easily transportable size, feeds froma 5 round magazine, and Bill Ritchie (owner of EDM Arms) is a real class act and strong supported ot the .50 community. For me, this gun represents the overall best in breed of the .50's. It has more ammo on tap than single shot shellholder or bolt actions, is in the same accuracy class as a McMillian bolt gun but breaks down and is a lot easier to transport, and you can convert calibers in about minite or two to go from 50BMG to .408CT or .338LM. The guns are U.S. designed and built and backed by a great president who is a long time FCSA shooter and supporter.

Just my .02 YMMV.

SCL

30 cal slut
11-14-08, 15:24
What do you have? How do you like it?

Mod 99 (single shot).

When I'm not shooting it, I use it as a bench press bar.

Love it, but I'm not shooting it to its fullest potential.

Scattergun
11-14-08, 15:32
I have a AMAC and like it a lot..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/allproblemsolved/AMAC/AMACright800x600.jpg

Dave L.
11-14-08, 15:46
I have owned and shot a .50BMG on some platform since 1994. Started out with a Barrett 90 (father to the current M95 mag fed bolt action), and have had Barrett M82A1 and an EDM Omni as well. Finally settled on the EDM Windrunner and wouldn't get any other .50 on the market.

The Windrunner is sub MOA accurate with match ammo (if the shooter does his part), breaks down to an easily transportable size, feeds froma 5 round magazine, and Bill Ritchie (owner of EDM Arms) is a real class act and strong supported ot the .50 community. For me, this gun represents the overall best in breed of the .50's. It has more ammo on tap than single shot shellholder or bolt actions, is in the same accuracy class as a McMillian bolt gun but breaks down and is a lot easier to transport, and you can convert calibers in about minite or two to go from 50BMG to .408CT or .338LM. The guns are U.S. designed and built and backed by a great president who is a long time FCSA shooter and supporter.

Just my .02 YMMV.

SCL

I hear you. Windrunner was my first choice. I can afford it, but I don't know if I want to. I'm thinking Barrett 99 (29" barrel) with a Nightforce 5.5-22X50 to start out. That leaves me a few G's to buy some other stuff NObama will probably ban.

twodollarbill
11-14-08, 21:28
Fifty's are GREAT!!!
I'm lucky enough to own a chunk of land to fully enjoy my 50 cal.,
but our only open county gun range bans these big boys.
If you ever get a chance to take one praire dog shooting in South Dakota....Do It.

Dave L.
11-15-08, 10:25
Fifty's are GREAT!!!
I'm lucky enough to own a chunk of land to fully enjoy my 50 cal.,
but our only open county gun range bans these big boys.
If you ever get a chance to take one praire dog shooting in South Dakota....Do It.

Yes, I also have land. If my neighbor would let me use part of his field I could possibly have a 700 yard shot.
I called Sniper's Hide and ordered a Barrett M99 CQ- Should be in stock in about 2-3 weeks.
I'm ordering 50 API rounds first thing.

Surf
11-15-08, 16:32
I shoot an M82A1 and a suppressed Robar RC50. I like both of them but they shoot very differently. The Barrett is more of a longer lasting recoil metallic spring scrambling your brain type of feel and the Robar bolt is a quick, stout kick. I prefer the suppressor on the Robar over the muzzle brake. The Robar has much better accuracy at a 1MOA as opposed to the Barrett. I enjoy both of them for what each of them are.

700 yards is just stretching the legs on the .308. The .50BMG will barely feel challenging at this distance. Ideally, you really need more distance to truely appreciate this round.

Jager
11-25-08, 18:35
I've owned a Barrett 82A1 for a couple years now. If I could only have one, it was my choice because I prefer firepower to accuracy. Although the 82A1 does hold 1.25 MOA groups with HSM 750 AMAX. I chose the NightForce 5.5-22x56mm NXS with NP-R1 reticle. I have never regreted the purchase, and there is not a fifty I'd rather have. Don't get me wrong, there are others I would like to own also.

ZDL
11-26-08, 04:32
whats the story on this thing?

Littlelebowski
12-02-08, 20:18
Looks sort of like the French issue .50. Hecate, I think. Sort like an EDM Arms Windrunner too.

Dave L.
12-03-08, 05:53
I ordered a Barrett M99 CQ from Sniper Country PX yesterday and I called NightForce and ordered the NXS 5.5-22X50 Zero Stop.
I decided on the weapon based on intended use and money. I don't have too many places when I can make 1000 yard plus shots. I didn't get the M95 because I don't think having a detachable magazine should cost another 2K+.
Some day I'll have my EDM Windrunner, the Barrett will work for now.

30 cal slut
12-03-08, 06:31
I didn't get the M95 because I don't think having a detachable magazine should cost another 2K+.

I came to the same conclusion. That, and the added extra weight if you have to lug that thing around.

The obvious practical disadvantage of the M99 being no quick follow-up shots (not an issue in my case). But that in turn, forces me to concentrate on the first shot all the more.

Dave L.
12-05-08, 14:29
I came to the same conclusion. That, and the added extra weight if you have to lug that thing around.

The obvious practical disadvantage of the M99 being no quick follow-up shots (not an issue in my case). But that in turn, forces me to concentrate on the first shot all the more.

UPDATED. I found a Barrett M99 at Atlantic Firearms. I'm more concerned with accuracy than having a mag-fed gun. I read about the M95 having the upper receiver being held in place by pins; if or when they come loose can cause the scope to jump. I ordered the M99. My Nightforce 5.5-20X50 Zero Stop just shipped and i have Badger Max-50 rings waiting for me at home. I'll post pics and hopefully have some type of range report in about a month.
I also bought 20 API, 10 APIT, and 20 Solid Brass Tuned Match rounds today:cool:

Dave L.
12-09-08, 12:34
Anyone have any experience with the M99 CQ?

Iraqgunz
12-09-08, 14:59
Speaking of .50 caliber fun. Does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge on the SHF/ R50 or the UltraMag50 drop on upper? I have been wanting to get a .50 and either of these seem like a good economical choice.

http://www.safetyharborfirearms.com/UltraMag_50/ultramag_50.html

http://www.safetyharborfirearms.com/SHF_R50_/shf_r50_.html

Dave L.
12-09-08, 15:05
Speaking of .50 caliber fun. Does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge on the SHF/ R50 or the UltraMag50 drop on upper? I have been wanting to get a .50 and either of these seem like a good economical choice.

http://www.safetyharborfirearms.com/UltraMag_50/ultramag_50.html

http://www.safetyharborfirearms.com/SHF_R50_/shf_r50_.html

I think your links are F*ed up- otherwise this British internet connection sucks.

Iraqgunz
12-09-08, 15:38
Dave,

Most assuredly it is your gay British internet provider. They probably put a gun filter on their network. :D

I think your links are F*ed up- otherwise this British internet connection sucks.

Dave L.
12-09-08, 15:42
Dave,

Most assuredly it is your gay British internet provider. They probably put a gun filter on their network. :D

Google UK is pushing me over the edge:D

Dave L.
12-15-08, 15:49
My Barrett M99 CQ (29" fluted barrel) was delivered today. I also have Badger Max-50 rings and a NightForce 5.5-22X50 ZS waiting.
I have 20 API, 20 APIT, 10 Barrett Ball, 10 Hornady A-Max, 20 lathe tuned solid brass rounds ready to see what shoots the best.
When I get home in 3 weeks I'll post pics and hopefully have some good groups.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/laninga66/DSC01263.jpg

QuietShootr
12-15-08, 22:06
I have an 82A1CQ. It runs like a raped ape, but it's not the most accurate rifle I've ever fired. I have thought about trading it to someone for a 99 and cash out to go get another LMT MRP or something.

It's about a 2.5MOA gun on the average. (total 113 rounds fired).

CAFGU
06-28-16, 10:30
What do you guys think about the dessert tacticals?

fallenromeo
06-29-16, 12:18
What do you guys think about the dessert tacticals?

I believe you are referring to Desert Tech? Specifically the HTI if you are in this thread about .50 cal?

I have no trigger time behind the HTI, but the SRS has been out longer and has a pretty decent reputation. Use the search function and you will find several threads surrounding Desert Tech (formerly Desert tactical arms). Just make sure you spell "desert" correctly, or you will just bring up all the forum threads regarding fine sugary treats.

CAFGU
06-29-16, 22:46
I believe you are referring to Desert Tech? Specifically the HTI if you are in this thread about .50 cal?

I have no trigger time behind the HTI, but the SRS has been out longer and has a pretty decent reputation. Use the search function and you will find several threads surrounding Desert Tech (formerly Desert tactical arms). Just make sure you spell "desert" correctly, or you will just bring up all the forum threads regarding fine sugary treats.

Oh yes desert tech, sorry bout that fallen romeo. Thanks for the correction

Sensei
07-28-16, 01:03
Barrett M107A1. I've had it about a year and fired maybe 100 rounds through it. My stamp for the QDL suppressor came through a couple weeks ago, so I'll put some more rounds through it in the next couple of weeks.

With cheap AE ammo it shoots about 2 MOA. I could probably get that down to 1.5 MOA with better ammo or tuned loads. A better trigger would also help as mine is just north of 5 pounds. I'm happy to test my theory if anyone has some spare MK211 API laying around.

Handgunner
07-28-16, 05:24
Barrett M107A1. I've had it about a year and fired maybe 100 rounds through it. My stamp for the QDL suppressor came through a couple weeks ago, so I'll put some more rounds through it in the next couple of weeks.

With cheap AE ammo it shoots about 2 MOA. I could probably get that down to 1.5 MOA with better ammo or tuned loads. A better trigger would also help as mine is just north of 5 pounds. I'm happy to test my theory if anyone has some spare MK211 API laying around.

I'm guessing the 29"? I would like to see the 20" out in the wild.

Eurodriver
07-28-16, 08:26

You mean this?

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_5140_zpskgxjw8yf.jpg

Really handy setup, but the muzzle blast *sucks the air from your brain*. I've been looking at getting a 29" model from Safety Harbor 50 cals for AR lower receivers but unsure if it is worth it. I can't justify a $10k 50bmg setup when my buddies spend $800 on ammo in one day.

FWIW, even the 20" is boringly accurate even at 1000 yards.

Sensei
07-28-16, 09:41

Correct, 29" version. When I add the QDL suppressor it becomes outrageously long.

You mean this?

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_5140_zpskgxjw8yf.jpg

Really handy setup, but the muzzle blast *sucks the air from your brain*. I've been looking at getting a 29" model from Safety Harbor 50 cals for AR lower receivers but unsure if it is worth it. I can't justify a $10k 50bmg setup when my buddies spend $800 on ammo in one day.

FWIW, even the 20" is boringly accurate even at 1000 yards.

That appears to be a M82A1CQ. I think that Handgunner is referring to the M107A1CQ. The M107A1 family is improved over the M82A1/M107 to be lighter, has an updated bolt, improved brake, and is capable of being suppressed. It was released just a couple of years ago. The CQ versions are out there but I've not seen the one yet.

Eurodriver
07-28-16, 10:14
Didn't know that. Thanks. They looked identical to me, minus the brake.

Handgunner
07-28-16, 11:04
Correct, 29" version. When I add the QDL suppressor it becomes outrageously long.

That appears to be a M82A1CQ. I think that Handgunner is referring to the M107A1CQ. The M107A1 family is improved over the M82A1/M107 to be lighter, has an updated bolt, improved brake, and is capable of being suppressed. It was released just a couple of years ago. The CQ versions are out there but I've not seen the one yet.

Yep, m107a1 cqb40680

cowboybart
10-03-16, 15:43
I have an RMC shellholder type single shot. I went with a 36" LW barrel and like it. It is not a carry thru the woods gun. Going from memory it is 34 lbs before the Nightforce. Recoil is like a 12 ga with heavy 2.75" loads.

Pappabear
10-06-16, 20:46
I shot the Mac Tac 50 this last weekend. Trigger was heavy as it should be. The concussion was impressive. I would love to shoot one with a can. Because that Gun rocked our little 300 win mag world. It's just outrageous.

I tried to shoot my steel at a 1,000 but we ran out of match AMAX ammo and was slinging trash. But I wanted to see that steel tumble.

I would shoot a 50 before I bought one.

PB

tom12.7
10-08-16, 20:03
I've shot 50 BMG rifles for 25+ years, I might be able to help out if there's some questions.