PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about rolling your own prints.

saywhen11
08-13-19, 09:23
Can't find the answer via google.

When rolling your own prints for the ATF, on the bottom blocks of the card where you place your 4 fingers at a time, do you need to capture an impression of your entire finger that will fit on the card or just your finger tips?

A few pics as example, I realize the fingerprint card may not be the correct one.

This one shows that much of the finger was captured:
https://www.blackanklemunitions.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/fingerprintcard.jpg

This one shows just fingertips
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/7KVNa1Tcxq8/maxresdefault.jpg

Which is correct?

BigWaylon
08-13-19, 11:12
Mine are only the fingertips.

ST911
08-13-19, 11:14
Go get fingerprinted by a competent legal authority trained to do so.

Alex V
08-13-19, 11:43
Every time I have gotten fingerprinted by a "competent legal authority trained to do so" they placed my hand as you see in the first photo. 45 degree angle to the card with as much of each finger as possible in the box. When I did my own prints on the advice of those here, I did the same. ATF got them yesterday, we shall see if I did a good enough job.

BigWaylon
08-13-19, 13:03
Mine are only the fingertips.
And FWIW...100% approval rate so far, both paper and EForms.

ETA: almost forgot...had a buddy stop by a couple months ago to roll his the same way (just fingertips), and he had no problem getting is Type 06 FFL approved using that method.

eodinert
08-16-19, 03:22
I've rolled all of my own, and most of them have looked like shit. They accept them just the same. I'm fairly certain they do nothing with them when they receive them. Paying someone to roll them is a waste of time and money.

Bret
08-16-19, 08:51
Every time I have gotten fingerprinted by a "competent legal authority trained to do so" they placed my hand as you see in the first photo. 45 degree angle to the card with as much of each finger as possible in the box. When I did my own prints on the advice of those here, I did the same. ATF got them yesterday, we shall see if I did a good enough job.
+1 I now do them myself in the same manner as shown in the first picture and have never had a rejection.

Pappabear
08-16-19, 09:38
finger tips have worked for me, many oh many o times.

PB

saywhen11
08-17-19, 07:41
Thanks all for the insight