PDA

View Full Version : My dilema

kaltblitz
11-13-08, 14:21
So here is the deal:

I've carried a Glock 21 as my duty pistol at work for the last 2.5 years. I bought it new and threw on a pair of Trijicon sights and a Surefire X200 and it has functioned 100%. I used it in a Kyle Lamb VTAC pistol class last spring and put over 1400 rounds through it in two days without cleaning or lubing it just to see how it performed and it didn't even hiccup once on me. The gun has been my constant companion at work and has never let me down once. The fact that I shoot it well (no problem with consistant head shots at 25 yds) I consider an added bonus.

I grew up shooting 1911's. I always thought it was the platform I was most comfortable with. I've shot high-end guns and basic unmodified Colts. Since becoming a police officer I've wanted to carry a 1911 and have been an advocate for them. This summer I found out my department would begin letting patrol officers who attend a 8 hour course carry the 1911 on duty. I was one of the first to sign up. I bought an older Kimber Custom Classic (pre Series II) and had it worked over by a smith to my spec. The gun is damned accurate and good looking to boot.

At my department the 1911 is considered a status symbol. The majority of our SWAT guys (something I'm working towards) carry 1911's and it is just considered the "shooter's" gun. I've been carrying my Kimber now for three weeks at work. I made the decision last week that it needs a light rail. I bought a 6280 to hold it with the light attached and plan to send it to Dawson in the next few weeks for one of their rails.

Since I'm not carrying my G21 with me at work I finally am getting around to make a couple modifications I've been planning on for some time. I sent the frame out yesterday to our own Gentle Ben for his grip reduction. I ordered a set of Sevingy sights with a Tritium front earlier this week for the slide. I can't wait to get it back and try it out with the new sights and grip.

So here is the dilema. I have two pistols that I like a lot. Both of which I'm proud to carry at work. I'm in the cool group now with the Kimber, but I can honestly say I miss my Glock. I plan to carry the Glock when the Kimber is back getting the light rail on it, but what then?

How the hell do I choose which gun to carry?

gringop
11-13-08, 15:36
Which pistol is the most reliable, accurate, holds more rounds and you already have gear for?

Go with that one.

Forget about status symbols. Only kids care about being in the cool group.

Gringop

Oscar 319
11-13-08, 18:52
I was born and raised on 1911's and Hi-powers. There is nothing that feels better in my hand than a 5"1911.

I always was jealous of the departments that allowed the carry of 1911's. I could not. For over 8 years I carried the SW6906 that was issued to me in 1996. I was an admitted Glock hater. Funny thing is, I could out shoot guys with the tricked out .45's with my DA/SA 3.5" barrel 9mm these same folks teased me about.

Then I hired on with another department. A department with a liberal policy that included 1911's cocked and locked...SWEET, Wilson Combat, here I come! Or was it.

From an analitical point of view (stopped being cool) I started looking at things.

I was prepared to spend well over $1000 on a sweet 1911. "What's my life worth honey"? I looked at the wear and tear on my beloved trusty 6906. Most of the time it was concealed. Police work is rough on a gun. This new gun would be for uniformed patrol. I could already hear myself crying the first time I bashed it on a door frame.

What about a back up gun? Did I want to carry a 3.5 inch 1911 as back up (not reliable) . I could always carry the standard J frame.

Round capacity? Shot placement is everything, but imagine being caught in a Columbine type scenario with out your long gun, only what's on your belt.

I could go on. I won't. I humbled my bad-ass self and choose the Glock 22 for several reasons.

Platform- My duty gun eats the same diet as my back up (27) and off-duty/plain clothes (23). Same mags, sights, trigger...same. It is by far the most prevelant duty weapon in my neck of the woods (around 85%). Accessories and parts are easy to come by.

It's a tool- Face it, Glocks are ugly, but they work. I wont cry over a scratch on the Glock. It builds character.

As much as I love the .45, the Glock's did not do it for me. If you like yours, and it has proven reliable, stick with it. Don't worry about the cool kids.

If the funds were available, I would seriously consider swithing to the MP45 platform, which has impressed me. But I am too invested in my damn Glock's!

ToddG
11-13-08, 22:00
How the hell do I choose which gun to carry?

If your partner had to choose, and he shot his Glock as well as you shoot your Glock, and he shot his 1911 as well as you shoot your 1911 ... which would you tell him to carry?

I'd like to parrot the "screw status symbol" line but let's face it, we're all type-+p+ personalities and having cool gear is cool. But, at least to me, it's even more cool to use your ordinary gear to out-shoot the guys with their cool gear.

What can you do with your Glock that you can't do with your 1911?
What can you do with your 1911 that you can't do with your Glock?
Which of those things is more important to your goal of prevailing in a fight?

SingleStacker45
11-13-08, 22:19
FIrst pick reliability and based on a good bit of shooting with your duty ammo. Whichever gun will run 500 ronds without a hiccup is where you want to be. Next Accuracy. Which one can hold the tightest offhand groups at 25 yards. All else is fluff. I have both guns and have carried both extensively and I still have a hard time choosing. I think the GLock 21 I have is a bit more reliable and I don't worry about something happening to it as much since it is very easy and cheap to replace. My kimber has alot of custom work done to it and I shutter to think what it would cost to replace it.(like four G21's)

Mule

joe138
11-13-08, 23:05
At my dept. we were allowed to carry 1911's for approx. 2 years until a new chief. I switched from the issued Glock to my Wilson Combat. It was hard on the gun, but oh well, thats what it was for. The thing that got me to thinking was when a fellow officer was involved in a shooting. His issued Glock was gone for several months to the state lab, and he didn't even fire a shot. That concerned me far more than the dings. Anyway it was not long after that we were all back into Glocks.

JonInWA
11-14-08, 07:52
There really is no bad news here-you've got two guns that you like, a caliber that you like, and it sounds like you have all the gear that you need for both.

Here's an interesting thought: I've read that despite having the high-speed, low drag Kimber SISs, more than one member of the SIS unit itself chose to remain with the Glock 21.

I'd make your determination on which gun works the best for YOU, which gun do YOU shoot the best with, which gun do YOU have the most confidence in, which gun will hold up the best in the environment(s) to which you'll be using/exposing it to, and you should also factor in maintenance/frequency of repair-and can YOU do the maintenance, or if it's required to be sent to others to perform, what will you use/have at your disposal in the interim. Another factor to consider is which gun is the most comfortable to use-both in terms of grip and in terms of daily carriability, day in and day out?

Unless there's a HUGE difference in equipment quality/performance/availability/personal skill in use required, I've tended to find that one's "coolness" ultimately devolves not from one's equipment per se, but from how you are with how you handle yourself, and others-its a software issue, not a hardware one...Having "the best _____(insert gun/equipment/toy appropriate for the moment)" is fleeting-inevitably, someone or something else with supplant it (whatever the "it" of the moment is); I think what's more important is how YOU are, and being as proficient as possible with what equipment you have at your disposal.

You'll find some excellent discussion of both 1911 and Glock platforms (and the pros and cons regarding both the Kimber and Glock 21 specifically) on this forum here and I'd also recommend going over to the 10-8 forum and look at The Custom 1911 and the Fighting Guns (which is where Glock discussions are placed) categories of thread discussions.

From a purely personal standpoint, I have several 1911s, including a Nighthawk Talon II made EXACTLY as I wanted-and while I personally am competant and accurate with my 1911 platforms (and enjoy them tremendously), on a daily basis, what I'm most likely to carry is either my Glock 19, 17, or 21...

Best, Jon

Bachelorjack
11-14-08, 23:36
If I had to carry a 1911 in harms way it would not be a kimber. Nor would it be a $1k 1911. I would rather carry a taurus than a $1k 1911. Stick with the glock until you can afford to buy a proper 1911.

By that I mean a 1911 with the reliability of that glock.

SuicideHz
11-15-08, 00:12
Carry the Glock since you are so proficient with it. Period. It's all about being most comfortable and trusting what you carry- you seem to have both with the Glock.

Take the 1911 with when training and you can "show off" with it to show you have a 1911 and shoot well with it. Give it some practice time and let everyone know you are equally as good with the 1911 as you are with the Glock.

Maybe after some time, you will want to carry the 1911- by then you will probably feel just as secure and competent with it and can decide for yourself at that point.

Gentle Ben
11-20-08, 16:38
First, thanks for your business. ;)

Second, I'm finishing up your G21 right now, and should have it on the way back to you tomorrow. :cool:

Third, as much as I love 1911s, I haven't found one yet that's as reliable and uncomplaining as a Glock, so that decided the issue for me. :D