PDA

View Full Version : Bipod or sand bag?

NYH1
08-16-19, 19:40
Just wondering what you guys/gals prefer shooting with while on a bench, a bipod or a sandbag?

I went to the range today to see how well my Remington 700 Classic 280 Rem. shot 140 gr. Federal Fusion's. It was zeroed with Remington 140 gr. Core-Lokt's.

With both loads I was shooting 2 to 2 1/2 inch groups shooting off my sandbags (w/small rear bag), which is extremely bad for this rifle. Then I put my short bipod on it and my groups were just a tad under an inch with the Fusion's. I never thought there'd be that much of a difference between a bipod and sandbags.

NYH1.

Pappabear
08-16-19, 20:39
My preference is bipod up front and sandbag on the rear, in the prone. I can do so on a bench but prefer prone. YMMV

PB

gunnerblue
08-16-19, 21:33
From the bench, for pure accuracy testing, sandbags front and rear. Once load development is done, bipod front and squeeze bag/pack rear for practice

NYH1
08-16-19, 23:14
I probably should've went into more detail regarding my rifle. As mentioned, it's a Remington 700 Classic. It came in a nice wood stock. Not wanting to mess the stock up and having had good luck with Bell and Carlson stocks (M40 stocks), I got a B&C Alaskan Sporter stock for this rifle. The new stock makes it a lot lighter then I'm used to and it's quite a bit narrower towards the front of the stock.

When I got the new stock I bedded it from the rear tang to a little over an inch or so in front of the recoil lug. I free floated the barrel too, stock comes with pressure point bumps/tabs in the front of the stock. It still has the factory older style Remington trigger that I adjusted down to ±3 lbs. pull years ago. After switching stocks, I've had issues shooting it off a bench with sandbags.

Obviously this isn't a precision rifle, it's a hunting rifle. However, I like my hunting bolt action rifles to shoot MOA or better. This one always did. Guess I'll just have to use the bipod at the range.

Thanks, NYH1.

Vegas
08-17-19, 02:48
My preference is bipod up front and sandbag on the rear, in the prone. I can do so on a bench but prefer prone. YMMV

PB

That's my preference also. Legs with adjustment to get level if prone.

matemike
08-17-19, 06:49
for my 308 chassis rifle
I prefer sand bag on front and squeeze bag on rear when shooting from a bench
Bipod on front and squeeze bag on rear when shooting prone

for my 7mag hunting rifle just a sand bag on front from a bench. Trying to make practice as much like being in a deer stand as possible.

ST911
08-17-19, 08:32
Bipod up front, squeeze or large bag rest in the rear.

maximus83
08-17-19, 10:52

PB

Also what I've been using, Harris bp up front, bag in the rear. Looking for a better bag so if anybody has suggestions, glad to hear them.

markm
08-17-19, 10:55
I hate EVERYTHING off the bench. I can never get comfortable.

Watrdawg
08-17-19, 14:42
When on a bench I like using a Caldwell shooting rest up front and a rear bag for my hunting rifles.

NYH1
08-17-19, 22:44
I hate EVERYTHING off the bench. I can never get comfortable.
I'm just the opposite. After back surgery it's harder for me to shoot in the prone position then from a bench. I try it more and more so maybe that'll change.

NYH1.

maximus83
08-21-19, 10:18
Don't have a pic handy but here's the Triad rear bag I use. It's not perfect but good for easily changing your elevation:

https://triadtactical.com/triad-tapered-rear-bag/