PDA

View Full Version : Good AR15 scope?

wyn
08-17-19, 10:11
Hey guys I'm in need of some help picking out a good ar15 scope without spending too much money, and good info and choices?
Any suggestions?

markm
08-17-19, 10:52
Nightforce! Just kidding.

Primary arms has some LBGTQ/LPVO options that aren't bad. Pappabear has one that was around Two Hunnit.

just a scout
08-17-19, 11:05

Primary arms has some LBGTQ/LPVO options that aren't bad. Pappabear has one that was around Two Hunnit.

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

maximus83
08-17-19, 11:49
An upper budget limit would be helpful to know. Yeah P.A. is worth checking, also Vortex has a lot of options below $1k, Leupold patrol scope 3-9x with fire dot is solid, and Burris and Athlon have options below $500. I've not tried Athlon personally--and they have a range like Vortex--but I'm hearing good things about their optics.

Rogue556
08-17-19, 15:56

Primary arms has some LBGTQ/LPVO options that aren't bad. Pappabear has one that was around Two Hunnit.I'm a huge fan of their rainbow reticle option, personally. Total gay change....errr I mean game changer.

OP,

You'll really need to give us a little more info to get you in the right direction. What's your price range? What will you use it for? How much magnification do you see yourself needing? Is weight a concern? Etc..

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

The_War_Wagon
08-17-19, 19:50
What is your mission (objective) with this optic? What are you WANTING to accomplish?

MISSION drives the geartrain.

titsonritz
08-17-19, 19:59
Steiner P4Xi 1-4x24

trob_205
08-17-19, 20:18
Intended use? Price range? Hard to say without spending too much around here. Too much is very relative around here.

teksid
08-17-19, 22:00
Steiner P4Xi 1-4x24

I don’t even own one of these, but without any specifics by the OP I’d have to agree.

Prada
08-30-19, 11:47
Hey guys I'm in need of some help picking out a good ar15 scope without spending too much money, and good info and choices?
Any suggestions?

To be honest Vortex Optics Strikefire II is my favorite one for ar15. An excellent choice for the money. The reticle works great for holds. Visit this source https://www.outdoorsbest.com/best-ar-15-scope-optics/ to know more features about Vortex Optics Strikefire II.

RHINOWSO
08-30-19, 12:10
It won't impress the Tactical Tommy's or Scope Snobs (which I am), but Natchez has Burris MTAC 1-4x24 with PEPR Mounts for $241 - they are currently 10% off that, so for around $215 plus shipping you have a decent optic backed by Burris warranty - and they are made in the PI, not Chinatown. Burris is my go to for 22LR scopes and for the price, the glass has always looked good and the scopes worked well for range / plinking use. I also dropped one of my CZs with a Burris optic and some dust / debris showed up in the reticle - Burris took it back, cleaned, and repurged it free - works great again.

https://www.natchezss.com/burris-mtac-rifle-scope-1-4x24mm-illuminated-ballistic-ar-reticle-w-pepr-mount.html

MegademiC
08-30-19, 12:25
Any suggestions?

For what? You can get a 1-4 or a 7-35. All depends on what you want it to do.
Range-only gun? Duty rifle?

crosseyedshooter
08-30-19, 12:53
It won't impress the Tactical Tommy's or Scope Snobs (which I am), but Natchez has Burris MTAC 1-4x24 with PEPR Mounts for $241 - they are currently 10% off that, so for around $215 plus shipping you have a decent optic backed by Burris warranty - and they are made in the PI, not Chinatown. Burris is my go to for 22LR scopes and for the price, the glass has always looked good and the scopes worked well for range / plinking use. I also dropped one of my CZs with a Burris optic and some dust / debris showed up in the reticle - Burris took it back, cleaned, and repurged it free - works great again.

https://www.natchezss.com/burris-mtac-rifle-scope-1-4x24mm-illuminated-ballistic-ar-reticle-w-pepr-mount.html

That’s a fantastic deal! I used to own two MTAC 1-4x and thought they far out performed other “budget” optics. The Ballistic AR reticle is the one to get as it’s much more versatile than the older Ballistic CQ.

jsbhike
08-30-19, 14:49

That is a great deal on the scope. A possible caveat that can be largely ignored at that price and with Burris warranty is the mount which weighs a ton (I have handled)and have heard reports of them breaking near the lugs, but no other details on what was going on when the mount broke, if it was during a certain part of production run, how often it occurred, or if it is even still an issue.

I have a Steiner P4Xi and really like it, but the constantly increasing cost on those sure doesn't make it the most bang for the buck Choice it was a few years back.

Leupold VXR scopes are nice. Very light, short throw magnification lever, and good price if magnification above 1.0X isn't an issue. The Patrol models target knobs are way to easy to move unintentionally, but that can be mitigated.

Recently got a primary arms 4 to 14 with the acss HUD reticle and overall I really like it other than not too sure about the utility of the front focal plane once the magnification start getting toward the low end. I really like the acss reticle though along with other qualities the scope has and trying to find larger open areas to play with it more.

I have not had the chance to see one of these in person but the simple reticle with the illuminated Dot seems like a really good idea to me( although I think one of their Chevron aiming points and no vertical line would be better) and I am liking their extended mounts that are also shown on that page.
https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-1-4x24mm-illuminated-riflescope-pa14x

everready73
08-30-19, 20:03

They also have the XTR 2 1-4 and other variants for 400-600. It is a nice stop up in quality and durability. They are normally 800 or more

A few places have really good pricing (sub 300) on the Nikon blackforce 1-4 which surprised me when I looked through it. It is a steal at that price

RHINOWSO
08-31-19, 08:13
They also have the XTR 2 1-4 and other variants for 400-600. It is a nice stop up in quality and durability. They are normally 800 or more

A few places have really good pricing (sub 300) on the Nikon blackforce 1-4 which surprised me when I looked through it. It is a steal at that price
With all the budget 1-6/1-8 optics these days, I think the 1-4x market is feeling the pain. Even the better manufactured ones like Burris, Trijicon, etc.

everready73
08-31-19, 19:18
With all the budget 1-6/1-8 optics these days, I think the 1-4x market is feeling the pain. Even the better manufactured ones like Burris, Trijicon, etc.

I agree. And the Steiner P4XI owns what market share there is in 1x4 optics. I bet they out sale the trijicon 2-1 if not more in the since it came out

LMT/556
09-06-19, 15:29
Vortex 1x6, NXS 1x8 or the best NXS 2.5x10x32 discontinued but you can source used.

Sportsfame18
09-08-19, 07:15
Vortex razor 1-6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk