PDA

View Full Version : Elcan 1.5 x 6, for 7.62

RIDE
08-17-19, 22:12
For those that have run them, what are your opinions?

I’m considering one for my SCAR 17s.

My intended purposes;

10 - 800 yds

I’ll run it suppressed at times, maybe always.

Potentially as an HD tool.

I’m also considering the 1x4 version, but like the idea of the 6 for longer distance shooting.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RetroRevolver77
08-18-19, 09:34
Delete.

MountainRaven
08-18-19, 14:00
I think it's fine if you want to build a clone rifle, but otherwise there are better options available for the money, size, and weight (check the optics sub-forum).

RIDE
08-18-19, 17:48
Thanks for the info... not interested in cloning anything really. Just want an optic that can handle the abuse the scar 17 can give to optics... something “scar rated”.

JoshNC
08-18-19, 17:55
Nightforce ATACR 1-8 is what you seek in a LPVO. It’s very capable out to 800-900 yds.

RIDE
08-18-19, 18:09
Nightforce ATACR 1-8 is what you seek in a LPVO. It’s very capable out to 800-900 yds.

Thank you! It’s high on the list.

Pappabear
08-18-19, 18:28
My Buddy Pablo has one in the 1-4 variety on his Scar and he bangs to 1,000 yards. So go for it if you must. id prefer the Nightforce in NX8 or ATACR myself.

PB

RIDE
08-19-19, 12:27
My Buddy Pablo has one in the 1-4 variety on his Scar and he bangs to 1,000 yards. So go for it if you must. id prefer the Nightforce in NX8 or ATACR myself.

PB

Well... after reading some reviews and the true 1x ability, and finding a good deal on it, I bought the NF ATACR 1-8. It is on its way now. Any mount suggestions?

JoshNC
08-19-19, 19:25
Well... after reading some reviews and the true 1x ability, and finding a good deal on it, I bought the NF ATACR 1-8. It is on its way now. Any mount suggestions?

Congratulations. You will love the ATACR.

Unless you plan to place your cocking handle on the right side, mounts like Geissele, Nightforce, and others with nuts that extent off the left side will be points for your knuckles to impact when cocking your rifle. I like both Geissele and NF on Stoner pattern rifles. On the scar those bolts are a potential hazard.

Spuhr or another similar option with flush recessed mounting screws make for better SCAR optic mounts if you plan to use the cocking handle on the left.

RIDE
08-20-19, 20:04
Congratulations. You will love the ATACR.

Unless you plan to place your cocking handle on the right side, mounts like Geissele, Nightforce, and others with nuts that extent off the left side will be points for your knuckles to impact when cocking your rifle. I like both Geissele and NF on Stoner pattern rifles. On the scar those bolts are a potential hazard.

Spuhr or another similar option with flush recessed mounting screws make for better SCAR optic mounts if you plan to use the cocking handle on the left.

Thanks!! It arrives tomorrow. I ordered the ADM Delta QD mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ramairthree
08-21-19, 01:57
They are the kind of scope that is great is someone is buying it for you.

For a personal purchase at that price point...

JoshNC
08-21-19, 09:29
They are the kind of scope that is great is someone is buying it for you.

For a personal purchase at that price point...

Buy once, cry once. Life is too short to shoot crappy optics.

RIDE
08-21-19, 19:58

This is the phrase I live by.
Buy the best and never have 2nd thoughts. If I were trying to stay within a budget, or concerned more about price than quality, I certainly wouldn’t have been considering the the Elcan, nor the ATACR (not that much more coin than the Elcan), or even the SCAR 17 for that matter.

What pushed the NF ATACR to the top for me was the true 1x and the variability.

Haven’t got the mount yet, but boy is that glass clear!!

ramairthree
08-22-19, 00:42

My point was look at other options at that pricepoint

JoshNC
08-22-19, 18:05
My point was look at other options at that pricepoint

The only other viable options IMO are:
Kahles K16i. Awesome glass, FOV, and weight. Less capable for wind holds. Very capable. I had one on a 308 gas gun. It now lives on a 5.56. As a 0-600yd optic it’s great.

Vortex razor hd2e. Very good glass. Useable reticle, but less capable for wind holds. Heavier than other option, even the E model.

Swaro z8i. No personal experience. Looks neat, but just doesn’t really entice me to try one.

Leupy mk8 cqbss. An awesome optic but very heavy, with a huge footprint. Not true 1x. Reticle not useable in 1x without illumination.

NF NX8. Awesome optic. Smaller and lighter than the ATACR. Tighter eyebox. Some peripheral distortion on 1x in some. Less capable reticle for wind holds.

S&B 1-8 Short Dot CC DFP. Awesome optic. Seriously. Mind blowing glass. Awesome turrets (not that one would dial with a 1-8). Reticle is very very good, far better than what was offered in the SFP and FFP SD CCs. Not quite as nice a reticle as the ATACR 1-8. It’s a long optic, very noticeably longer than the ATACR in side by side comparison. And you can almost buy two ATACR for the cost of one SD CC DFP.

recchavo
08-22-19, 18:26
Love my glass:

Nightforce ATACR 1-8x
Schmidt & Bender Dual CC 1-8x
Leupold CQBSS 1.1-8x with H27 reticle
Kahles K16i with SM1 reticlehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190822/69c7c05d4a7b674c6f7d51854b4290e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

recchavo
08-22-19, 19:09
The only other viable options IMO are:
Kahles K16i. Awesome glass, FOV, and weight. Less capable for wind holds. Very capable. I had one on a 308 gas gun. It now lives on a 5.56. As a 0-600yd optic it’s great.

Vortex razor hd2e. Very good glass. Useable reticle, but less capable for wind holds. Heavier than other option, even the E model.

Swaro z8i. No personal experience. Looks neat, but just doesn’t really entice me to try one.

Leupy mk8 cqbss. An awesome optic but very heavy, with a huge footprint. Not true 1x. Reticle not useable in 1x without illumination.

NF NX8. Awesome optic. Smaller and lighter than the ATACR. Tighter eyebox. Some peripheral distortion on 1x in some. Less capable reticle for wind holds.

S&B 1-8 Short Dot CC DFP. Awesome optic. Seriously. Mind blowing glass. Awesome turrets (not that one would dial with a 1-8). Reticle is very very good, far better than what was offered in the SFP and FFP SD CCs. Not quite as nice a reticle as the ATACR 1-8. It’s a long optic, very noticeably longer than the ATACR in side by side comparison. And you can almost buy two ATACR for the cost of one SD CC DFP.

Regarding the Leupold CQBSS your comment is only accurate with the TMR reticle...H27 is Aimpoint bright.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190823/f7b75a1e07a57695c1ddd57e1dd2168d.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk