PDA

View Full Version : A reason we need magpul magazine caps

Uni-Vibe
08-18-19, 01:01
I put two gen. 3 thirties together with the magpul clamp. Loaded them up to 30 rounds. Stuck it in the gun and threw it into the trunk.

A few days later I looked again: the unused mag's top round had worked itself loose and was protruding. In a shoot-storm this could be a problem.

So I put the magazine cover on. Now no problem

MorphCross
08-18-19, 01:36
Another option: https://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazine-couplers-amp-holders/ar-15-m16-improved-redi-mag-prod27533.aspx

Or you could go the LAV route and use duck tape and cardboard to make your mag coupler. The flexibility keeps the rounds from jumping out under recoil.

mack7.62
08-18-19, 07:01
Or you could just run a D60 for your initial load out.

hk_shootr
08-18-19, 07:26
Many of the MagPul mags I have pop the cover off after a few days if left full.
I down load mags by two now, solved that issue

rebelram
08-18-19, 07:32
The top round of any mag can become dislodged depending on what it comes into contact with. That being said I have a couple loaded Lancers in my truck that haven't lost a round or had any rounds that moved. They are stored in a bag that doesn't move or bounce around in my truck.

Tx_Aggie
08-18-19, 08:17
Or you could use a Redi-mag to hold the second magazine instead of a mag coupler.

ETA, MorphCross beat me to it:

Another option: https://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazine-couplers-amp-holders/ar-15-m16-improved-redi-mag-prod27533.aspx

Or you could go the LAV route and use duck tape and cardboard to make your mag coupler. The flexibility keeps the rounds from jumping out under recoil.

Arik
08-18-19, 08:25
Or you could just secure the mag and not have it roll around in the trunk

Uni-Vibe
08-18-19, 15:41
It was plugged into the rifle.

Inkslinger
08-18-19, 15:46

Or skip that coupled together nonsense, this ain’t Nam.

Cokie
08-18-19, 16:00
I’ve noticed pmags have a tendency to let rounds cross or pop out more than GI mags or lancers

Uni-Vibe
08-18-19, 16:43

Until you have a flat tire in the middle of nowhere, and the gang of five decides you're easy meat

Wake27
08-18-19, 16:45
Until you have a flat tire in the middle of nowhere, and the gang of five decides you're easy meat

Well you still have six rounds each with the mag in the gun. That’s a pretty good ratio for rifle rounds. Also, as was said, D60.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inkslinger
08-18-19, 16:53
In that scenario, your CCW will probably serve you better, but...
https://www.skdtac.com/Ready-Tactical-AR15-Mag-Pouch-p/rdt.110.htm

Uni-Vibe
08-18-19, 17:43
In that scenario, your CCW will probably serve you better, but...
https://www.skdtac.com/Ready-Tactical-AR15-Mag-Pouch-p/rdt.110.htm

Even if I'm carrying the full size 9, how is that better than M4?

Inkslinger
08-18-19, 18:04
Even if I'm carrying the full size 9, how is that better than M4?

Are you going to change a tire with a carbine slug around you? Seems a bit dramatic no? A pistol in your pants is worth more than a rifle in your truck.

Pappabear
08-18-19, 18:48
M4 with it dowloaded two rounds, still GTG. CCW as back up.

PB

Five_Point_Five_Six
08-18-19, 20:18
If you're that worried about it, run a D60.

I'd like to see the 5 men that require 12 well placed rifle rounds each in order to be put down.

lordmorgul
08-18-19, 21:08
Survivor Systems stocks have a second mag pocket too. I’ve gone that route, but I’ll admit I have a couple mag couplers put together in a box, and I should try shooting them to see how that issue goes.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

tim808
08-18-19, 22:04
I don’t mean to spoil the fun with some reality but I read somewhere that most defensive shooting is 3 or less shots......and there were no cases where a mag change was needed

Obviously drug cartels were not included in the research :-)

I take it that bad guys generally reassess the risk/reward when the intended victim has bite

Still, 60 rd drums are sweet.

For my state, my understanding is we can’t legally store guns or weapons in a vehicle. I have garden tools in my van. So I either use that or the van itself :-(

Concealed carry is also not allowed

No cool stories when you take out BG’s with a soccer mom van no matter how you try to spin it

Arik
08-18-19, 22:09
I don’t mean to spoil the fun with some reality but I read somewhere that most defensive shooting is 3 or less shots......and there were no cases where a mag change was needed

Obviously drug cartels were not included in the research :-)

I take it that bad guys generally reassess the risk/reward when the intended victim has bite

Still, 60 rd drums are sweet.

For my state, my understanding is we can’t legally store guns or weapons in a vehicle. I have garden tools in my van. So I either use that or the van itself :-(

Concealed carry is also not allowed

No cool stories when you take out BG’s with a soccer mom van no matter how you try to spin itHere you can't have loaded rifle or mags together. Regardless, if anything my handgun is always on me whereas my rifle would be many feet away

Uni-Vibe
08-18-19, 23:25
If you're that worried about it, run a D60.

I'd like to see the 5 men that require 12 well placed rifle rounds each in order to be put down.

On the real two way shooting range, the gang doesnt just stand there and let you tap 'em with 12 rounds apiece, well placed or otherwise. In such situations you can fire a lot of ammo. Google Sherman Street Shootout.

MountainRaven
08-18-19, 23:55

So the person who is going to be on overwatch with your rifle while you're fixing your flat isn't going to be able to take the time to address the random round working its way forward in the magazine?

tim808
08-19-19, 03:42
Univibe,
The Sherman and 71st area looks economically challenged. It could have been an invasion at a dealers house.

If I really thought 60 rounds are needed on my AR, I’d view it as a flag to move to a better place.

If moving isn’t an option I’d skip the mag coupler and get the D60 for your truck gun

Luckily I live in a decent area because all I have is the van and garden tools to fight off a car jacking

556Cliff
08-19-19, 10:10
I must ask if these were early Gen 3 Pmags or newer Gen 3 Pmags? Because the newer Gen 3 Pmags have two anti transposition tabs that are supposed to prevent the first/top round from nosing up and crossing over.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/M3-Pmags-Date-of-Feedlip-Changes-/124-291966/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/PMAG-Gen-3-How-to-tell-if-it-s-a-pre-transpositioning-update-version-/124-290021/

Five_Point_Five_Six
08-19-19, 10:26
On the real two way shooting range, the gang doesnt just stand there and let you tap 'em with 12 rounds apiece, well placed or otherwise. In such situations you can fire a lot of ammo. Google Sherman Street Shootout.

I didn't realize you were a veteran of multiple street wars. Good work on Sherman Street. *thumbs up*

Zirk208
08-19-19, 17:50
Is this a real discussion? Debating the merits of a mag coupler to deal with roving street gangs preying on disabled motorists caught in the open while changing a tire? Is this a real "two way shooting range" discussion?

John W
08-19-19, 18:05

I don’t mean to spoil the fun with some reality but I read somewhere that most defensive shooting is 3 or less shots......and there were no cases where a mag change was needed.

Multiple msm sources report Dayton shooter was on all sorts of drugs and officers put him down with 24 rounds. He tried to get back up twice.

Source: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2019/08/15/coroner-release-more-autopsy-information-dayton-shooting/2018778001/

Determined attackers, on drugs, can be a lot to handle. Plan and prepare accordingly.. or just rock your 1911 and hope for the best.

This thread has strayed far from the topic which is mags coming out of a secondary mag. Solutions have been posted. Think we are good here.

MountainRaven
08-19-19, 18:16
Multiple msm sources report Dayton shooter was on all sorts of drugs and officers put him down with 24 rounds. He tried to get back up twice.

Source: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2019/08/15/coroner-release-more-autopsy-information-dayton-shooting/2018778001/

Determined attackers, on drugs, can be a lot to handle. Plan and prepare accordingly.. or just rock your 1911 and hope for the best.

This thread has strayed far from the topic which is mags coming out of a secondary mag. Solutions have been posted. Think we are good here.

So if 24 rifle rounds didn't stop him, what do you expect to do with a handgun?

Gonna EDC a 9mm Glock with a 33-rounder in it? Cuz you're still not near parity in wounding potential.

Never mind that those 24 rounds are rounds that hit the PODS anywhere - likely to include grazes. The real interesting thing(s) will be how many of those 24 rounds hit anything important and how many of them were redundant (three bullets through the heart won't get you anything after the first bullet had turned the heart into hamburger).

It's apples and oranges, anyway, since your rifle is still going to be sitting in the trunk by the time the 32-some seconds have elapsed from when the shooting started to when the turd was put down.

flenna
08-19-19, 18:56
Is this a real discussion? Debating the merits of a mag coupler to deal with roving street gangs preying on disabled motorists caught in the open while changing a tire? Is this a real "two way shooting range" discussion?

Uh, yes?:confused:

MegademiC
08-19-19, 22:24
Use okay mags?
I keep the cover on loaded pmags- cant say if its needed or not.
If i wanted a loaded-long-term mag without a cover, it would be okay, nhtms or whatever, or d&h.
Pmag has a 40rd mag as well. Pick whichever option fells good, but all will work fine IME.

DaBigBR
08-20-19, 10:29
We're about four posts from duct taping plates to bare skin to catch rounds while the supermodel girlfriend assembles the takedown rifle.

turnburglar
08-20-19, 16:12
"So what do you say punk.... are you feeeling lucky? In all this excitement I lost track if I fired 58, or 59 rounds.... maybe one popped out during storage... Are you feeling lucky?"

tehpwnag3
08-20-19, 16:44
First, this thread got hilarious real quick. I'm not talking about someone's idea of preparedness or what the best solution to OP's problem is, but some of the responses were very funny. Anyways...

I used to have this problem until I noticed that some of the flash in the dust cover notches needed to be removed. I used the tip of a pocket knife. Now they all stay closed (too well, in some cases) with 30.

Many of the MagPul mags I have pop the cover off after a few days if left full.
I down load mags by two now, solved that issue

I agree with this, as I've ditched the couplers a few years ago for the very same reason as OP along with not liking the extra weight. The Redi-mag is good but, again, I just don't like the extra weight. To each his own.

tehpwnag3
08-20-19, 16:52
IME, without a dust cover, the rounds start moving forward and fall out. If you don't have good anti-tilt it can go south real quick (besides losing rounds as you fire). I've even had coupled GI mags do this. Now, the duct-taped upside-down 'Nam method actually works if you don't mind having a two foot mag hanging out from under your carbine. I don't, so I don't.

Survivor Systems stocks have a second mag pocket too. I’ve gone that route, but I’ll admit I have a couple mag couplers put together in a box, and I should try shooting them to see how that issue goes.

flenna
08-20-19, 17:05
"So what do you say punk.... are you feeeling lucky? In all this excitement I lost track if I fired 58, or 59 rounds.... maybe one popped out during storage... Are you feeling lucky?"

:lol::lol:

replacement
09-23-19, 20:06
We're about four posts from duct taping plates to bare skin to catch rounds while the supermodel girlfriend assembles the takedown rifle.

Thank you I needed that laugh honestly did a lot crap in my life right now! Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pag23
09-23-19, 21:09

No fair that the guy used an AK clone....that is blasphemous on this site...lol

pag23
09-23-19, 21:10

Sounds like a scene from Range 15 sequel....

SteyrAUG
09-24-19, 01:09

Excellent.

Most excellent.

I could see changing a tire, trunk is open with more or less immediate access to trunk gun. But could honestly NGAF is secondary mag has a popped round or not. IF, and that is a big IF, something so dramatic happens that I can not alter the motivation of my attacker (s) with the first 30 rounds out of my carbine then the least of the problems I'm going to have is snatching a loose round out of a coupled magazine before I insert a mag of 29 rounds.

AndyLate
09-24-19, 06:20
I use covers on the few loaded Pmags I keep inside the closet mounted "safe" in my bedroom because they were free and Magpul says they take the pressure off the feed lips.

I also use them when I stick an extra 5rd Pmag 10 in my pocket when hunting, etc.

Andy

TopJeff
09-24-19, 07:23
Very humorous read!

HMsailor
09-24-19, 21:36
never happened to me. sounds like a defective pmag.

TomPenguin5145
09-25-19, 16:34

The "Shermin Street Shootout" was not random. It was a targeted attack as admitted by the "victim", which leads me to believe this "homeowner" wasn't just some guy who works 9 to 5 in a normal job to support his family and minding his own business.

I am not saying to not be prepared but the reality of the situation is if you steer clear of personal level involvement with criminal elements, you change of suffering at there hands goes WAY down. Most violent crime are criminals attacking their own...that and domestic violence.