PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Yankee Hill FH's

jmart
11-13-08, 20:36
Is there any performance difference between the original 4-slot model 28's and the newer, 5-slot 5C's?

Do you set up the 4-slot model with the ports at 1:30, 4:30, 7:30 and 10:30? If so, do you need to use a peel washer? How about the 5-slot model?

Lastly, is there anything about the design of either which precludes permanent attachment (blind pinning)? I'd be starting with a 16" barrel and then cutting it back, so I'm not worried about length of the FH. It would be up to the smith to ensure the end product measures the required 16.1" after pinning.

I've got a Vortex, but I hate the idea of pinning it since they run over $50, and if I ever wanted to remove it, I'd have to sacrifice it.

SuicideHz
11-13-08, 20:50
IIRC, the older 4 port phantoms supposedly worked a little better because they were symmetrical but the 5 port versions were made to keep the bottom closed and prevent the kicking up of dirt and sand.

Both styles are the most common FHs that people have permanently attached AFAIK.

It is up to the smith to make sure the end result is at minimum 16" but remember, you would be doing yourself a big favor by double checking before leaving with it. The best way to do this is insert a brass cleaning rod down the barrel on a closed bolt. wrap a piece of tape around the rod where it clears the FH. make sure you don't leave any gap at all! Then remove the rod and measure the distance. I've heard this is how the ATF does it when they need to...