PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Bipod

lew.45
08-20-19, 21:20
I am interested in the Magpul Bipods. Have any of you used them? I am impressed with them on the shelf but I would really love to hear from some folks who have used them. Please respond if you have tried them. Thanks

Renegade04
08-20-19, 21:25
I bought and installed a M-LOK version several months ago. I was very pleased with how it looked and functioned. After my first range trip with it, I liked it even more. Works very well for me.

https://i.imgur.com/9XL0POO.jpg

dpb1776
08-20-19, 21:32
Is it a big improvement over a Harris bipod? I’m interested in one but haven’t broken my Harris yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turnburglar
08-20-19, 21:38
I just bought one a month ago, and first impressions are good. I just havent used it a ton to really say if its a proven piece of gear.

dpb1776
08-20-19, 21:39
Cool thank you for the info

bp7178
08-20-19, 23:46
Is it a big improvement over a Harris bipod? I’m interested in one but haven’t broken my Harris yet.

Yes. It is a Harris killer, but not an Atlas killer.

Keep in mind, Atlas is much more expensive so there's a sliding scale as to cost there.

prdubi
08-21-19, 00:53
Better than harris...

Its nice and well built.

Plus at least with the Magpul you know you are getting a quality product.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3 AE
08-21-19, 01:02
FYI, Some threads on the subject.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?181052-Magpul-Bipod

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?214990-Comparison-of-Magpul-bipod-and-Harris-BRM

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?214935-Magpul-bipod-M-LOK-vs-picatinny

Mrgunsngear
08-21-19, 07:00
I am interested in the Magpul Bipods. Have any of you used them? I am impressed with them on the shelf but I would really love to hear from some folks who have used them. Please respond if you have tried them. Thanks

My review FWIW:

https://youtu.be/fCKOlFfr0KU

markm
08-21-19, 11:34

Balancing the gun on an Ice pick tip is an improvement over a Harris bipod. I love my Atlas, but the Magpul isn't too far back in second place... followed by the KAC.

The Magpul succeeds in being useful without having to figure out what knobs/buttons do. It's intuitive.

maximus83
08-21-19, 16:23
Balancing the gun on an Ice pick tip is an improvement over a Harris bipod.

LOL, Harris is like the crusty old guy in the crowd. Mine still works, but I have an internal debate on whether I'd prefer to shoot with the Harris or have a root canal. :cool:

ETA, one word comes to mind when I think Harris: Sproing!

MontanaMarine
08-21-19, 17:41
Balancing the gun on an Ice pick tip is an improvement over a Harris bipod. I love my Atlas, but the Magpul isn't too far back in second place... followed by the KAC.

The Magpul succeeds in being useful without having to figure out what knobs/buttons do. It's intuitive.

I've been using Harris for 20 years, and I don't have any complaints with the 9-13 swivel/notched. But, I have been meaning to try one of the Magpul bipods, as I do have plenty of Magpul products and they all seem to shine.

Looks like some great endorsements here for the Magpul bipod, thanks for sharing.

10MMGary
08-21-19, 18:46
I've been using Harris for 20 years, and I don't have any complaints with the 9-13 swivel/notched. But, I have been meaning to try one of the Magpul bipods, as I do have plenty of Magpul products and they all seem to shine.

Looks like some great endorsements here for the Magpul bipod, thanks for sharing.

Pretty much the same experience here, from the mountains of Idaho to the sugar sand pine scrubs of central FL never had one issue with my two Harris Pods. I beat the hell out of both and they still do as intended.

Pappabear
08-21-19, 20:33
Harris is till a decent bipod, but Atlas blows it away. The Magpul falls in the middle. Decent lightweight bipod with mlok adapters and pic...... Most peeps that have one are ok with them.

PB

CPM
08-21-19, 20:45
Is the Atlas twice as good as the Magpul, thereby justifying the price? No.

maximus83
08-21-19, 20:48
Harris is till a decent bipod, but Atlas blows it away. The Magpul falls in the middle. Decent lightweight bipod with mlok adapters and pic...... Most peeps that have one are ok with them.

PB

All jesting aside, my Harris has actually been effective and reliable. My only complaint is it seems like they haven't updated the design or anything in forever. Sproing! I know, if it ain't broke....

Still, would be nice to try a new design, also maybe shed some weight. I'm gonna try the Magpul on my new Tikka 6.5 in an XLR chassis.

AZTECTrainingServices
08-21-19, 22:00
I have a tan rail one for sale. Packaging is a bit beat up but it’s new, never opened.

Slater
08-22-19, 06:43
It seems to be a testament to the design and construction of the Harris that, as old as the basic design is, it continues to compare favorably with much newer designs.

hotrodder636
08-22-19, 10:38
Has Magpul released a model that allows the legs to be angled forward? I remember reading somewhere they may have been working on that.

scottryan
08-22-19, 10:42
The legs have too much forward and aft play. I have hunted/shot with this bipod now for two years in the western US for mule deer, antelope, and elk with an SR-25 ACC.

I have also taken this gun to Alaska as a bear protection gun. Have done numerous real world shots from rocks and other natural obstacles up and down valleys.

I feel I have to constantly slide my body forward to load the bipod because of this excessive leg play. I never feel like I am in a correct shooting position. Body feels constantly stretched while laying prone.

Also, twice a moderate landing on the deployed legs has caused them telescope back to the short position.

It is easy to deploy and adjust on the fly, unlike an Atlas. I really wanted the Magpul to replace my Harris bipods that are full of sharp edges and pinch points.

maximus83
08-22-19, 10:53
The legs have too much forward and aft play. I have hunted/shot with this bipod now for two years in the western US for mule deer, antelope, and elk with an SR-25 ACC.

I have also taken this gun to Alaska as a bear protection gun. Have done numerous real world shots from rocks and other natural obstacles up and down valleys.

I feel I have to constantly slide my body forward to load the bipod because of this excessive leg play. I never feel like I am in a correct shooting position. Body feels constantly stretched while laying prone.

Also, twice a moderate landing on the deployed legs has caused them telescope back to the short position.

It is easy to deploy and adjust on the fly, unlike an Atlas. I really wanted the Magpul to replace my Harris bipods that are full of sharp edges and pinch points.

Awwww....shoot. I literally had one in my cart at Primary Arms, this has me rethinking. I load my bipod hard and definitely would not appreciate the excessive leg play. One thing I can say about the Harris is it has always worked.....

P2000
08-22-19, 12:07
It seems to be a testament to the design and construction of the Harris that, as old as the basic design is, it continues to compare favorably with much newer designs.

Who uses Harris anymore...cheap people like me. I thought about trying other stuff out, but don't really feel my 15 year old Harris is holding me back. I might be wrong.
https://i.imgur.com/zirGPgu.jpg

scottryan
08-22-19, 13:46
Atlas bipods are not suitable for on the fly field shooting. They are too slow to deploy. They are for lying and wait type situations.

markm
08-22-19, 14:03
Atlas bipods are not suitable for on the fly field shooting. They are too slow to deploy. They are for lying and wait type situations.

Absolutely true. Atlas is a good long range pod.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-22-19, 15:05

My experience exactly. I think Pappabear got a damn good deal on my Atlas for this reason. I use a Harris now, it just makes sense for what I do.

My buddy is one of our SWAT snipers, and is a gun guy similar to myself. He uses a Magpul Bipod on his "quickset" rifle, as well as one on his AI AT 308. He has nothing but good things to say about them. As for me, I've been down that road with the Atlas and I'll just stick with the Harris.

tehpwnag3
08-22-19, 21:06
I'd love to try the Magpul but my Harris' just work.

lordmorgul
08-23-19, 23:15
I like mine. Have a Harris still on my bolt 308 but the Magpul works very nicely for the ARs. With there was a pic quick disconnect option from them, but I like both the Mlok and Pic rail options well enough to use them.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

maximus83
08-24-19, 01:17
I ordered one to try. I needed a second one anyway, gives a good opportunity to compare pros/cons with the Harris.

rhsth4
09-23-19, 17:53
I have a few and enjoy them. They do the job like they should. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190923/0dc5311165ab273322527759dfbd37b3.jpg

SteyrAUG
09-24-19, 01:12
Better than harris...

Its nice and well built.

Plus at least with the Magpul you know you are getting a quality product.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So what is wrong with Harris? I use them on most of my bolt guns with zero issues. Haven't really used a bipod on an AR yet.

Tx_Aggie
09-24-19, 09:29
So what is wrong with Harris? I use them on most of my bolt guns with zero issues. Haven't really used a bipod on an AR yet.

Nothing wrong with Harris. A Harris with Podlock is more rigid than the Magpul bipod, and less likely to break if you drop it with the legs extended:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i-Lo-4zICQ

TexasAggie2005
09-24-19, 12:23
Nothing wrong with Harris. A Harris with Podlock is more rigid than the Magpul bipod, and less likely to break if you drop it with the legs extended:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i-Lo-4zICQ

Pertinent comments in the comments of that video;

https://imgur.com/9J19jKV.jpg

markm
09-24-19, 14:57

My problem with the Harris is that I am SUPER picky about the pod being right. Otherwise it's a muther effing distraction from hell when I'm trying to make a shot. And almost every harris someone hands me is sloppy loose in some way, and it irritates the shit out of me. With the Magpul and the Atlas, I can just reach up and fix it for the knuckle head.... with the harris, you need to figure out what mods/patches/levers/gizmos they've added to try to make it a good pod. Wasting time trying to get some guy's pod right drives me insane.

DD_USMC
09-29-19, 15:10
I might consider a Magpul.......if...... my Harris Bipod BRM-S and LT706 QD Swivel Mount Combo ever fails or disappoints me.