PDA

View Full Version : bolt question

alkay
11-13-08, 22:43
I have read several articles stating that you should not mix bolts and carriers. If I break a bolt, Am I supposed to replace both parts? There's not room in the MIAD grip core to store a spare bolt carrier.:rolleyes: If I throw a new bolt in my old carrier, am I messing with the headspacing? Somebody has to clear this up for me, Please?

Iraqgunz
11-14-08, 00:48
Swapping bolts and bolt carriers means nothing. If you were to break a bolt then you simply get a new one. Some people will say that checking the headspace is unnecessary. I default to the TM and check the headspace any time I change the barrel or bolt or combination thereof in a weapon.

As far as carrying a spare bolt in your grip. Unless you are kicking in doors and shooting hajji I wouldn't be concerned about your bolt breaking. That's assuming that you bought a quality rifle/carbine, etc...I have only seen a few true bolt breakages and they were preceeded by full auto mag dumps, lack of lube and they weren't Colt guns.

I have read several articles stating that you should not mix bolts and carriers. If I break a bolt, Am I supposed to replace both parts? There's not room in the MIAD grip core to store a spare bolt carrier.:rolleyes: If I throw a new bolt in my old carrier, am I messing with the headspacing? Somebody has to clear this up for me, Please?

bkb0000
11-14-08, 01:09
the only time you might have an issue mixing any milspec parts is when swapping parts between rifles. AR parts wear and "mate" to a degree. new parts are good to go.