PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about giving Glock another go.

M&P45
08-26-19, 07:09
A few years ago I picked up a Gen 4 G17. I had never owned a Glock before. Everytime I picked one up it just didn't feel comfortable to me but I felt like I was missing out on something. My experiences with my particular gen 4 caused me lose interest in Glocks. Several RSA swaps and an extracter swap and I continued to have pretty erratic ejection including routine brass to the face. The trigger was wasn't great despite adding a - connector but I loved the reset. I had issues with the grip angle that I could have trained away but eventually sold it off for something that worked better for me. Despite the flaws the pistol was very accurate.

Recently I went to the range with a buddy who carries a 21SF for work. He had his previous Gen3 19 duty pistol and his CCW 30SF. Both of those pistols blew me away. They were very easy to point, accurate, and shot very flat allowing for very accurate double taps. The triggers were also much better than my Gen4. They were stock but with many thousands of rounds through them.

My question is what is different about these pistols compared to my Gen 4 17 that made them point more naturally for me? Is the location of the hump different on the smaller frames guns? Is it all in my head? I'm totally jonesing for a 19 now. Should I be looking for a well broken in Gen 3 or a new Gen 5? I handled a new Gen 5 yesterday and like the trigger pull right out of the box. The grip cutout seemed like it could get annoying but the dealer has some FS and MOS coming in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

08-26-19, 07:27
The G19 hump is up higher than the G17, and feels more natural to me. To the point that I use my 19’s in competition and carry and no longer own any 17’s. Logically, you would expect grips to be shortened from the bottom on compact and subcompact models, but thats not how Glock does it, so the G19 feels very different from the 17, especially on the models with finger grooves.

I prefer Gen 4 and thats all I have anymore, except for my 42 and 43. The Gen 3 have chunkier grips, but if you have larger hands, the Gen 4 and 5 can be thickened up with the backstraps. Gen 4 and 5 have better grip texture than the gen 3. The Gen 5 is said to have a better trigger, but whatever. All my Glocks have stock triggers and I shoot them adequately.

The more you shoot a G19 monogamously, the harder it is to remember why you hate them.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-26-19, 08:07
I would probably look towards a gen 5. The ejection issues seem to be largely worked out. I have had a cutout and now have a non cutout and it is definitely better during draw practice not to have the ridge. I shoot mine well by conventional standards but not as well as my other guns. I do agree with the above poster that the Glock is best shot as a sole gun, because it’s ergonomic idiosyncrasies lead to it being a sort of an either/or proposition.

For me the greatest thing about Glock is the fact that holsters and accessories are usually tailored around it. That isn’t a big a deal as it used to be since most places have a Kydex guy these days, but it is nice to be able to Amazon everything if you in a hurry.

tacticaldesire
08-26-19, 08:42
Definitely go for the Gen 5. I've had BTF issues with a few of the later Gen 3's but the Gen 5s have been rock solid. Get the G19 FS model.

lsllc
08-26-19, 08:42
I’ve got three Gen 5 guns but I still shoot the Gen 3 guns better—I think it’s largely the trigger.

Everything about the Gen 5 besides the trigger is better, to include integral magwell flaring, improved finish, lack of finger grooves, ambi slide release, improved sight options, forward serrations from the factory, and allegedly more reliable. They certainly eject more consistently than previous generations.

What gripes me about the Gen 5 is that everybody goes on about the “increased accuracy” but I’m not seeing any improvement. Perhaps a decline due to the trigger. I can bench a Gen 5 next to a Gen 3 and it seems the Gen 3s are as or more accurate.

I too shoot a 19 better than 17. A 19 Gen 3 with a Raven Freya suits me well. The 4th generation Glocks have been the very worst in my opinion. The trigger varies from the Gen 3 due to a nub on the trigger bar under constant friction through the trigger bar. The interchange backstraps also required a slight geometry change: enter the dot connector, which, consequently, makes Gen 3 guns awesome.

That said, I think either Glock works for you or it doesn’t. No reason to keep wanting to retry them. People give Glock too much awe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RKB Armory
08-26-19, 09:03
I, also, find it difficult to stay away from Glock even though I like other pistols better. For instance, I am currently exploring the options for adding an SRO to my M&P M2.0 and it's like I'm having to re-invent the wheel. With Glock, there are so many options.

tacticaldesire
08-26-19, 09:05
I’ve got three Gen 5 guns but I still shoot the Gen 3 guns better—I think it’s largely the trigger.

Everything about the Gen 5 besides the trigger is better, to include integral magwell flaring, improved finish, lack of finger grooves, ambi slide release, improved sight options, forward serrations from the factory, and allegedly more reliable. They certainly eject more consistently than previous generations.

What gripes me about the Gen 5 is that everybody goes on about the “increased accuracy” but I’m not seeing any improvement. Perhaps a decline due to the trigger. I can bench a Gen 5 next to a Gen 3 and it seems the Gen 3s are as or more accurate.

I too shoot a 19 better than 17. A 19 Gen 3 with a Raven Freya suits me well. The 4th generation Glocks have been the very worst in my opinion. The trigger varies from the Gen 3 due to a nub on the trigger bar under constant friction through the trigger bar. The interchange backstraps also required a slight geometry change: enter the dot connector, which, consequently, makes Gen 3 guns awesome.

That said, I think either Glock works for you or it doesn’t. No reason to keep wanting to retry them. People give Glock too much awe.

What don't you like about the trigger? The consensus has been pretty much unanimous that the Gen 5 trigger is much improved over previous generations.

Hop
08-26-19, 09:07
I didn't like the feel of most Glock pistols until I tried a 19x with an Agency trigger & the medium backstrap. That put my finger in the right place with the right "length of pull".

I've since picked up a 2nd slide & had it cut for an RMR.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190713/53de62ec4139d25f106a6b4549574814.jpg

lsllc
08-26-19, 09:09
It feels perceptibly heavier. It now has the “rolling break” like everything else after decades of Glock-apologists telling us that Glock triggers were superior for their defined wall.

Gauging the new trigger it maxes at a similar weight to previous generations but it’s as if you apply that about or pressure through more travel. I get better B8s and better scores on drills/action shooting with the old triggers.

hotrodder636
08-26-19, 09:33
Years ago I had shot some Gen 2 and Gen 3 Glocks. After those experiences I put them on the back burner and never thought about getting a Glock. Fast forward 10ish years and I shot a Gen 4/19. I was thoroughly surprised. I picked it up fro 300 with only 50 rounds through it, 15 of which were from me. I enjoyed that pistol until I traded it for a NIB HK USPc 45. Last year I picked up a Gen5/34 MOS—again am thoroughly enjoying this Glock. Trigger feels fine to me, better than my previous Gen 4. I enjoy the Gen 5 so much I am really wanting a G5/19 MOS or FS model now.

ramairthree
08-26-19, 09:45
A few years ago I picked up a Gen 4 G17. I had never owned a Glock before. Everytime I picked one up it just didn't feel comfortable to me but I felt like I was missing out on something. My experiences with my particular gen 4 caused me lose interest in Glocks. Several RSA swaps and an extracter swap and I continued to have pretty erratic ejection including routine brass to the face. The trigger was wasn't great despite adding a - connector but I loved the reset. I had issues with the grip angle that I could have trained away but eventually sold it off for something that worked better for me. Despite the flaws the pistol was very accurate.

Recently I went to the range with a buddy who carries a 21SF for work. He had his previous Gen3 19 duty pistol and his CCW 30SF. Both of those pistols blew me away. They were very easy to point, accurate, and shot very flat allowing for very accurate double taps. The triggers were also much better than my Gen4. They were stock but with many thousands of rounds through them.

My question is what is different about these pistols compared to my Gen 4 17 that made them point more naturally for me? Is the location of the hump different on the smaller frames guns? Is it all in my head? I'm totally jonesing for a 19 now. Should I be looking for a well broken in Gen 3 or a new Gen 5? I handled a new Gen 5 yesterday and like the trigger pull right out of the box. The grip cutout seemed like it could get annoying but the dealer has some FS and MOS coming in.

The grip angle is part of it.
Glock was an engineer and an expert in polymer with no firearms experience.
Unlike a classic hammer fired gun, the typical striker fired gun will have a trigger pull axis very angled toward the bore axis instead of parallel with it. This ends up being very non natural to most.

As You said, you can get used to it and trained to it.

The grip angle and “pointability” are cons that many tolerate based on the overall pros.

If the 1911 guns are a flat head screwdriver, the classic DA/SA’s are Phillips head. Glock is your Allen head. No matter how many Torx, Robertson’s, doubles, etc. come on the market-
Those three are going to be around a long time.

MegademiC
08-26-19, 09:54
I would go gen5 for all the reasons mentioned.
I had some trouble getting a good trigger press down, so I cut a backstrap in half (with the beaver tail) and shot that for some time. Oddly enough, i can swap between that and a bare grip with no issue now.

I still dont ‘like’ the feel, but I can use them well, and they are drama-free, unlike the other 2 pistols I have owned.

My experience with the increased accuracy of the gen5 is that its barely noticable. I think the trigger will make more difference than mechanical accuracy- I find the gen 5 trigger easier to shoot accurately, but I also pull through the entire press each shot, every shot.

The magwell flare is nice, and helps reloads just enough to be quantifiable.

Wake27
08-26-19, 10:23
Gen 5 is a significant improvement. The G45 has all of the best features right now and once the FS/non-cutout 19s hit dealers, they will as well. Very hard to go wrong with those.

M&P45
08-26-19, 11:07
Thanks for the replies. A local range has a Gen 5 19 I can rent. I'll give that a go before I buy one. The trigger on the Gen 5 that I handled in the store had a very noticeable wall followed by a short crisp pull. That's what I'm used to with my M&P's, P10c, and PPQ. My Gen 4 had no perceptible wall and as such it flet very alien to me. It felt more like a Kahr trigger which I also don't get along with.

MegademiC
08-26-19, 12:27
With my gen 5, i noticed if I just use oil, the wall develops pretty quickly (the trigger pull changes with round count).
If I use grease on the fcg and striker safety, the wall remains almost nonexistent for hundreds of rounds, and more consistent (smoother pull).

lsllc
08-26-19, 12:37
With my gen 5, i noticed if I just use oil, the wall develops pretty quickly (the trigger pull changes with round count).
If I use grease on the fcg and striker safety, the wall remains almost nonexistent for hundreds of rounds, and more consistent (smoother pull).

I have noticed the same. The trigger gets quite terrible as time goes on.

RWH24
08-26-19, 13:17
I love my first Glock ownership with Gen 5's, 19X, 45 and 19MOS I swapped the slide over onto the G45 frame when I picked up an RMR06.
Went back to LGS and handled a G21 Gen 4 used but LNIB. Cheaper than new, didn't have to use a Blue Label purchase on it.
Even with the large frame it feels very good in my hand.
My first Glock experience was G17 Gen 1 or 2. Didn't like the FEEL so I never messed with another until the 5's
Still an M&P, Sig P series and 1911 kind of guy.

noonesshowmonkey
08-26-19, 13:23
These threads crack me up.

"Grip angle", "accurate enough", "pointability"...

This is #BoomerCentral up in hurrr.

Nobody gives a crap if you want to try out a Glock. You either carry what you want--This is 'Murica--or you are issued a weapon (which is probably a Glock) and have to carry what they tell you.

Carrying just about anything but a Glock is a fashion statement, akin to wearing a fedora in mixed company.

There isn't that much philosophical navel gazing to be had here. Do you want DA/SA? Then don't get a Glock. Do you want a striker gun? If so, get a Glock. Gen 5s fixed literally everything that was ever even marginal about the weapon system.

But muh Springfield XD fits muh hand bettuh. Yawn. The early 20th century called, and they want their SAO grip safety back. Etc.

Ron3
08-26-19, 14:09
"No one gives a crap..."

Then writes four paragraph response.

lsllc
08-26-19, 14:31
These threads crack me up.

"Grip angle", "accurate enough", "pointability"...

This is #BoomerCentral up in hurrr.

Nobody gives a crap if you want to try out a Glock. You either carry what you want--This is 'Murica--or you are issued a weapon (which is probably a Glock) and have to carry what they tell you.

Carrying just about anything but a Glock is a fashion statement, akin to wearing a fedora in mixed company.

There isn't that much philosophical navel gazing to be had here. Do you want DA/SA? Then don't get a Glock. Do you want a striker gun? If so, get a Glock. Gen 5s fixed literally everything that was ever even marginal about the weapon system.

But muh Springfield XD fits muh hand bettuh. Yawn. The early 20th century called, and they want their SAO grip safety back. Etc.

These tough-guy overly-dramatic responses crack me up.

People live in their own special little world and they never get out of it.

jpmuscle
08-26-19, 14:45
"No one gives a crap..."

Then writes four paragraph response.

These tough-guy overly-dramatic responses crack me up.

People live in their own special little world and they never get out of it.

Simmer down boomers

lsllc
08-26-19, 15:07
Simmer down boomers

Not a boomer, but thanks for playing defense for the show monkey.

Marine Corporal
08-26-19, 15:31
The gun that felt the best in my hand hands down was a 1911. It was also the one that I shot the worst. The worst feeling gun in my hand was the ugly Glock. Incidentally, it happened to be the one that I shot the best. Food for thought. Is it the grip angle? Maybe. I don’t know. All I know that as a point and shoot during rapid fire when you aren’t really doing the deliberate, slow trigger squeeze until a surprise shot goes off, it has been the most accurate for me with the sights automatically going to where they are supposed to be naturally. With other guns, after the shot goes off, I would have to either dip down or up slightly to be on target again.

08-26-19, 15:38
Thanks for the replies. A local range has a Gen 5 19 I can rent. I'll give that a go before I buy one. The trigger on the Gen 5 that I handled in the store had a very noticeable wall followed by a short crisp pull. That's what I'm used to with my M&P's, P10c, and PPQ. My Gen 4 had no perceptible wall and as such it flet very alien to me. It felt more like a Kahr trigger which I also don't get along with.

If you go for a Gen 5 Glock 19, go for one without the grip cutout. I’ve seen several people complaining about it. I tried one with the cutout and didn’t like it.

opngrnd
08-26-19, 21:16
I concur with 1168. I have tried several times to go with the G17 between the 3rd, 4th, and 5th Generation. I keep running the G19 for Glocks.

Firefly
08-26-19, 21:46
OMFG while I stand in vociferous opposition to absolutely everything noonesshowmonkey believes in ethos-wise: he is dead damn right here. You all are like women with shoes.

Buy a Glock and get a life!

08-26-19, 22:13
OMFG while I stand in vociferous opposition to absolutely everything noonesshowmonkey believes in ethos-wise: he is dead damn right here. You all are like women with shoes.

Buy a Glock and get a life!

Or, buy 5,000 rounds of ammo for whatever you have and expend it in competition and measured, logged training, plus dry fire over 3-6 months and level up as a shooter, assuming the gun is mechanically reliable, durable, and accurate enough. Many are. (Cough...Beretta DA/SA)

I switched back to Glocks for employment reasons. It is a merely adequate weapon, but as I said before, the more you shoot a G19 exclusively, the harder it is to remember why you hate it.

Dot Torture will cure your ills.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-26-19, 22:26

Well, except for the trigger which seems to be a new problem. I bought an early Gen 5 and the trigger turned to crap around 2k. I dumped it (and I didn't care for the cutout). I am enjoying my new Gen 5 Mos 19 but I am keeping the innards extra clean this time since other folks who are heavy shooters are experiencing the same problem.

I have noticed that although it does eject to the right (which is an improvement over some Gen 3s I had) mine has this weird habit of barely ejecting the last round out of the mag (with both mags) so the case sort of dances on top of the slide for the last shot. I am going to start watching for this because I think it is a product of the ejection port cutout.

26 Inf
08-26-19, 23:24
Well, except for the trigger which seems to be a new problem. I bought an early Gen 5 and the trigger turned to crap around 2k. I dumped it (and I didn't care for the cutout). I am enjoying my new Gen 5 Mos 19 but I am keeping the innards extra clean this time since other folks who are heavy shooters are experiencing the same problem.

I have noticed that although it does eject to the right (which is an improvement over some Gen 3s I had) mine has this weird habit of barely ejecting the last round out of the mag (with both mags) so the case sort of dances on top of the slide for the last shot. I am going to start watching for this because I think it is a product of the ejection port cutout.

You only have two mags? (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Other than the slide outrunning the magazine on the first 40's railed for WML's we never saw the problems the internet experienced with the Glocks to nearly the extent as the internet.

I think one of the primary reasons was our use of 124 and 147 grain rounds and our emphasis on basic fundamentals. I've helped train thousands of new officers armed with Glocks. My observations are that the officers who consistently had problems with the pistol functioning properly were fundamentally weak shooters. Most of them improved with patient coaching, not parts replacements.

I have laid Glocks (heck, most everything police officers use) on pieces of carpet and fired them remotely using handicap squeezers, I've fired them holding them by the trigger guard, I've fired them using just my thumb and trigger finger to grip the pistol. They function, yet shooters make them malfunction through some combination of weak grip, retreating from recoil, etc.

(NOTE: when doing what I describe above the magazine must be empty - to check lock back function - or loaded with action proving dummies - to check feeding. Do not load any live rounds into the magazines while doing such experiments/demonstrations.)

IMHO, Glock has done an excellent job in responding to complaints from the field, warranted or not, with either upgrade kits or changes to subsequent models.

Often people want to blame the firearm before they look to themselves as the source of problems.

By the same token, instructors are sometimes guilty of being dogmatic in our belief that it is always the shooter. Admittedly, that has bit me in the ass before.

Long story short, in such matters get someone of known competence to shoot the pistol.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-26-19, 23:57
[QUOTE][You only have two mags? (Sorry, couldn't resist)
/QUOTE]

Haha. I have a few more. I just wanted to make clear it wasn’t a single mag exhibiting the weirdness. I’ve been shooting Glocks since around 1991 and know them every which way. The gen 5 seems to be the best yet, and they do seem to have made the gun eject largely like other, less grip sensitive, designs.

I suspect they will be able to fix the degrading triggers more easily. It is probably a materials issue but I’m just guessing.

Uni-Vibe
08-26-19, 23:59
Why force it? M&P, VP9, etc do what Glock does, for people who don't like Glock. Try 'em out.

lsllc
08-27-19, 07:24
[QUOTE][You only have two mags? (Sorry, couldn't resist)
/QUOTE]

Haha. I have a few more. I just wanted to make clear it wasn’t a single mag exhibiting the weirdness. I’ve been shooting Glocks since around 1991 and know them every which way. The gen 5 seems to be the best yet, and they do seem to have made the gun eject largely like other, less grip sensitive, designs.

I suspect they will be able to fix the degrading triggers more easily. It is probably a materials issue but I’m just guessing.

It seems to me to occur around 3,000 rounds. It’s not that big of a deal really to clean your gun every 2500-3000 rounds. I’ve been strongly considering getting the trigger bars NP3 Coates or swap them for an aftermarket trigger that already comes coated.

hotrodder636
08-27-19, 09:17
I have not had any issues with my G34/5 trigger but I am only around 1500 rounds so far.

I don’t have quite the same opinion as Firefly or Euro, but I do think everyone should at least try a G19 or have one in their safe. I don’t think it is the end all pistol but they do have their place. Not my favorite shooters but I will pretty much always own a Glock from here on out.

Adrenaline_6
08-27-19, 11:29
Seriously...this is like Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge.

Sure back in the day the Chevy small block was the cheaper go fast alternative, and the aftermarket support was the best, but in now way shape or form was it "better" then a Ford or Dodge. They were all fast when done right and is that way to this day...and I am a Chevy guy because I owned a 69 Z-28 RS...but to say Mustangs/Cuda's suck because "muh Chevy was better because I did it cheaper and I can buy more stuff for it" is just pure stupidity.

Glock is perfectly fine if that's what you like and it works for you...if not, than it isn't. There are a few choices out there that do it just as good and for some people, in some areas...better. Deal with it.

26 Inf
08-27-19, 12:05
[QUOTE=Greg Bell;2763726]

It seems to me to occur around 3,000 rounds. It’s not that big of a deal really to clean your gun every 2500-3000 rounds. I’ve been strongly considering getting the trigger bars NP3 Coates or swap them for an aftermarket trigger that already comes coated.

I'm just making a point in general, not directing this to you, lsllc, just wanting to point something out to the Pat Rogers Filthy Fourteen fans.

Yes, the range/competition pistols I shoot daily, go extended periods between cleanings. But, if it is carried or used for HD it gets cleaned before it is carried.

Let me make this clear, I think you are courting disaster if you don't clean your carry pistol after a heavy practice session.

Pistols not functioning smoothly after firing several thousand rounds without cleaning are not flawed designs, any machine needs PM.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-27-19, 12:47
Keeping your gun clean is good advice. And I am basically treating my current G19 like a 1911 to try to stave off trigger degradation. Still, it is definitely a step down from the old days when you could just squirt some rem oil in the your Glock and hit it with some paper towels. Fortunately, swapping out trigger bars in Glocks is easy so I guess I can do it every 3-5k like a spring change.

noonesshowmonkey
08-27-19, 13:09
Or, buy 5,000 rounds of ammo for whatever you have and expend it in competition and measured, logged training, plus dry fire over 3-6 months and level up as a shooter, assuming the gun is mechanically reliable, durable, and accurate enough. Many are. (Cough...Beretta DA/SA)

I switched back to Glocks for employment reasons. It is a merely adequate weapon, but as I said before, the more you shoot a G19 exclusively, the harder it is to remember why you hate it.

Dot Torture will cure your ills.

This is wisdom.

A person that spends 10k rounds through a S&W 5906 is going to be a better shooter than someone who collects 10 different pistols, matches their carry piece to their purse & pumps, or "thinks about returning to" the most issued handgun in the world.

noonesshowmonkey
08-27-19, 13:10
Well, except for the trigger which seems to be a new problem. I bought an early Gen 5 and the trigger turned to crap around 2k.

I'm into the third case of ammo on mine, but I'll keep a lookout for the trigger break getting mushy. I swapped in an NP3 (-) connector, which may alter that wear pattern a bit.

Firefly
08-27-19, 13:20
lol complaining about triggers in the current year.

I was young and given a heavy gun with a heavy DAO trigger and told to make it go. 300s every year.

Glocks have the most forgiving triggers of all.

lsllc
08-27-19, 13:28
Glocks have the most forgiving triggers of all.

You really did drink the kool-aide, didn’t you?

Eurodriver
08-27-19, 13:35
Deleted for posterity.

M&P45
08-27-19, 14:35
Lol at the cunty little bitches in this thread. I never cease to be amazed by the overwhelming self importance that some people feel. I don't post much. Probably because I have enough of an actual life for me to not have the time to be a keyboard commando. There was a time when people came to this site to escape the douschebaggery of Arfcom but from this thread it appears that the antisocial, ****witts banned from there have found a happy home here.

tacticaldesire
08-27-19, 14:35
You really did drink the kool-aide, didn’t you?

I'm assuming he's coming from a world similar to mine, where you are either given or told what to carry and to do work.

However to play along, I have 3,000 rounds through my G45 and have noticed absolutely no degradation in the trigger.

noonesshowmonkey
08-27-19, 14:45
I'm assuming he's coming from a world similar to mine, where you are either given or told what to carry and to do work.

I think it's hilarious that this thread avoids this fact. Everyone is so cozy with the idea that the AR15 needs to be treated as a "tool for serious use", and there's endless cloning threads about making a civilian rifle like issued weapons.

And yet, the same no nonsense attitude doesn't extend to the pistol sub forum.

At least the 1911 forum metastasized into its own thing...

What would this thread look like if someone were penning a shiboleth about returning to the AR15 from a world of mini14s and AKs?

CALLING 7N6. CALLING 7N6.

The short answer is that you can look around the Other Rifles sub forum and see legions of users shitting on AKMs, M1As, and a slew of other rifles. They constantly point out a series of winning traits about the AR15: manual of arms, customizability, affordability, availability in the US market, accuracy, reliability...

Wait, was I just describing a Glock?!

Eurodriver
08-27-19, 15:01
Lol at the cunty little bitches in this thread. I never cease to be amazed by the overwhelming self importance that some people feel. I don't post much. Probably because I have enough of an actual life for me to not have the time to be a keyboard commando. There was a time when people came to this site to escape the douschebaggery of Arfcom but from this thread it appears that the antisocial, ****witts banned from there have found a happy home here.

A+ rant! I like your style.

lsllc
08-27-19, 15:37
I think it's hilarious that this thread avoids this fact. Everyone is so cozy with the idea that the AR15 needs to be treated as a "tool for serious use", and there's endless cloning threads about making a civilian rifle like issued weapons.

And yet, the same no nonsense attitude doesn't extend to the pistol sub forum.

Wait, was I just describing a Glock?!

No, wouldn’t that be the P320?

Firefly
08-27-19, 15:54

However to play along, I have 3,000 rounds through my G45 and have noticed absolutely no degradation in the trigger.

Pretty much. The Smith Gen 3 autos replaced the Wheelguns of the previous era. I had no bias as I started out super young and was not allowed to have a choice until much much later. All the high speed guys were well on the Glock train as the sidearm came very much tertiary to training, fitness, and skills.

By this time, I had been through other handguns too over the years driven by either that particular function or whatever and I just made it work until I got where I had a choice and just stuck with a Glock.

Most pistols are pretty much fashion statements these days.
There are pistols I think are fun or amusing or fill a niche but a Glock really does, as it was was solely designed for, check off all boxes one would need for a serious working pistol.

Whether you shoot someone with a $300 Glock or a $1000 Beretta or a $5000 STI won’t matter much to the bullet nor its target.

I can see that eulogy now, “Here lies Thuggy Jones. He was shot by a $2000 Custom gun with a really great trigger y’all. How about that? At least he wasn’t shot by some Glock with a spongy trigger. Amen”

And most of the criticisms tend to reflect more on the end user than the pistol itself.

There was a time when a mere autopistol was hit or miss and required a lot of attention. There is a reason people were still using Model 19s or Model 64s well into the early 90s.

And now we have a pistol that can be totally stripped down to its most minute detail with a simple punch/glock tool.

A lot of Autopistols before 2005 needed an entire toolkit.

Unless you have stock in gun companies; why do you care what other people use?

If I was told to play Hiro Oonada on a jungle isle for 20 years because the SS Minnow shipwrecked then yes. I want a Glock 19.

This is so not hard.

AKDoug
08-27-19, 15:58
Deleted for posterity.

Dammit Euro I was getting ready to quote you. Michael Jordan was right, BTW. I really don't care what other people shoot, but when I see someone at the range every week with a new pistol trying to cure their inadequacies in their fundamentals, it kills me.

Any-hoo.. y'all keep buying Gen5's. I love Gen4's and the prices have plummeted.

lsllc
08-27-19, 16:11
Again, you guys missed the boat. Glock should not be default. No pistol should. It should be “buy something quality and train yourself silly”.

Firefly
08-27-19, 16:14
Again, you guys missed the boat. Glock should not be default. No pistol should. It should be “buy something quality and train yourself silly”.

So why are you here arguing about it and not at the range or out innaghetto or innaboonies putting in work with your much better gun?

Firefly
08-27-19, 16:14
Dammit Euro I was getting ready to quote you. Michael Jordan was right, BTW. I really don't care what other people shoot, but when I see someone at the range every week with a new pistol trying to cure their inadequacies in their fundamentals, it kills me.

Any-hoo.. y'all keep buying Gen5's. I love Gen4's and the prices have plummeted.

I just want a gen 5 because I dislike forced finger grooves. Anything else is just gravy

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-27-19, 16:56
Allright guys. Everybody kiss and make up and let’s keep our posts on target and try to offer constructive points.

lsllc
08-27-19, 17:16
So why are you here arguing about it and not at the range or out innaghetto or innaboonies putting in work with your much better gun?

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

You’re a funny guy. I’ve been to the range this week twice already and going again tomorrow. I’ve dry fired three hours this week.

I put three hundred rounds through a Glock this week and 600 through another pistol.

Why are you here to always push Glock, if it’s so good a pistol, shouldn’t it always stand on its own merits?

jpmuscle
08-27-19, 17:25
It does stand on its own merits.

It is literally the most ubiquitous and utilitarian platform out there. It checks the box for literally every critical performance metric we expect and require of a secondary weapon system if not an outright primary weapon in general.

Its a Glock world and for good reason.

lsllc
08-27-19, 17:37
A Glock world in that 60% of domestic LE used them according to Glocks previous marketing?

A Glock world in that our big military uses Sig? Beretta before that?

I believe I’ve read before that more CZ75s are issued world-wife than Glocks.

I guess dudes like Chuck Pressburg, Mike Pannone, Pat Mac, Frank Proctor, etc are all just out of the loop for choosing to use something else when no longer being told what to use?

Didn’t even Vickers say he prefers the VP9 and only shoots Glock when students are running them?

Some guys need to realize there is a whole world outside their bubble and people are doing work with other pistols before Glock and long after Glock the same will happen.

Firefly
08-27-19, 19:11
I'm not Larry Vickers nor anybody else. I'm me. I just shoot my Glock. I hit what I shoot. I probably could do same or better (or worse) but I have Glock kit and since I'm not rich and all; I guess I will somehow have to survive another 40 years with a Glock.

Mr. Vickers may well drive a Ford Raptor or a Lambo and wear Tommy Hilfiger, but that doesn't mean I'm going to.

Glock long surpassed CZ75s years ago. Here is where you need to do more homework.....

CZ75 was COPIED then issued. Israel, Italy, Egypt, Switzerland and pretty much any other country that could make guns (US too for a few years) has made a copy of the CZ 75. It was essentially a Browning High Power 2.0. But that was years ago. There were up until maybe 8 or 9 years ago Dutch police issuing out Walther P5s. But in all countries that matter, where people go shoot people, to include Red China and the Russians.....they all use Glock. Use ARs too. Anybody with a real choice gets a Glock and an AR.

It's just a gun. Not a religion.

I don't know what point you are trying to make, if any, by name checking gun people and tossing out who buys what in so many quantities.

I mean....nobody really cares. Glock is simply the No. 2 pencil of the handgun world. If you want to be the cool kid and get a mechanical pencil then have at it.

If you want, you can show me on the doll where Glock touched you and I will go cuss out Gaston Glock personally for you.

Otherwise you are just coming off as obtuse. I know several people here personal whom you have besmirched and can verify that they have done or are currently doing real things in life and they picked glock as their personal gun for same reason I did.....

Shit just works. It hits IPSCs at 50yds. Its not fussy and magazines are plentiful. Some people got their first formal training on a Beretta and got good with it and appreciate it for what it is. That's fine. They also use a Glock.

I just dont care enough about guns anymore to really want to be the beta tester for some companies' Glock cover band.

If my G19 dies, I'll get it fixed.

I mean there's more to life.

lsllc
08-27-19, 19:33
More to life, like spreading the religion of Gaston on the internet [emoji23]

Firefly
08-27-19, 19:42
More to life, like spreading the religion of Gaston on the internet [emoji23]

Wow......I wasted my time punching the tar baby. Guess what? You win. You sure showed me.
Lesson learned.

Henny
08-27-19, 19:53

Interesting. I’ve found the Gen 5 finish to be about the worst yet and the trigger about the best. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

This is my G19.5 MOS 2 months after I got it. I’ve used the same holster that I carried my G19.4 in for years. The Gen 4 still looks great.

https://i.imgur.com/343ybA4.jpg

I have a little over 1k rounds through this pistol and it is my EDC gun, that yes, I do carry every day. It shoots well and the RMR is a godsend for my aging eyes.

jpmuscle
08-27-19, 20:05
A Glock world in that 60% of domestic LE used them according to Glocks previous marketing?

A Glock world in that our big military uses Sig? Beretta before that?

I believe I’ve read before that more CZ75s are issued world-wife than Glocks.

I guess dudes like Chuck Pressburg, Mike Pannone, Pat Mac, Frank Proctor, etc are all just out of the loop for choosing to use something else when no longer being told what to use?

Didn’t even Vickers say he prefers the VP9 and only shoots Glock when students are running them?

Some guys need to realize there is a whole world outside their bubble and people are doing work with other pistols before Glock and long after Glock the same will happen.

Tell us where the Glock touched you

lsllc
08-27-19, 20:25
Tell us where the Glock touched you

Nowhere. I’m just not an idiot fan boy that can’t see outside my own box. I have more Glocks than any other pistol. Yet the performance on the Glocks just isn’t there relative to others. I see it all the time when new shooters inherently have trouble shooting Glocks. You’d have me tell them forgo the gun that works better because “muh Glocks!”

Don’t worry, I know where Glock touched you...

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-27-19, 20:42
Closed thread. The arfcom boatlift continues