PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Airsoft Training/guns

63Qcode
08-26-19, 11:26
I did a brief search on airsoft and looked at Travis Haley`s video on his airsoft training thoughts , but couldn`t find anything really current day .

I`m pretty much decided to give it a try to supplement my dry firing , but have zero experience on these guns . Talked to Sig the other day about their P226 air gun since a P229 Legion followed me home last week ..... remind me to never go to another Sig day where they let you fire all their guns .

What I don`t want to do is get something that will last a month or so . I would prefer to spend a little more and get a reliable product . Does anyone know anything about the Sig P226 air pistol ? I would prefer something that is as close as possible to my P01 and P229 in weight and feel etc .... and I understand the recoil would be pretty non existent on the air gun.

However , this will hopefully allow me to practice trigger control , grip etc . Also considering SIRT , but , again , have zero experience with that .

Any thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated .

HardToHandle
08-27-19, 03:08
SIG branded air guns? I would be pretty dubious on the quality.

Generally the more you spend on airsoft guns, the better the outcome. The Japanese gun gamers take airsoft very seriously and make superb guns. Expect to pay at 25-50% of the real gun.

I have a Tokyo Marui Glock 26, made mostly of plastic, which somehow has a very similar balance to my real G26. The recoil is much lower and different trigger feel - basically better trigger on the airsoft gun. It also fit in all my holsters. The use case for me was drawing and shooting in my basement... it took three years to find all the darn white BBs.

dwhitehorne
08-27-19, 14:01
We lost our Simunitions training location last Fall so I bought 15 P320 BB guns for In-service this year to have something non-marking. My biggest issue is the rear sights don't survive the drop test. Our final scenario is an officer rescue with the 180 pound dummy. I've had more than a few officers drop their holstered handguns when trying to run. Three rear sights have broken off in 15 weeks of In-service classes. I have to give Sig credit they replaced they immediately sent me new BB guns when I asked about the warranty. Other than that the pistols seem to work fine and they are fun. David

08-27-19, 14:27
I have the M9A1 airsoft gun from here:
https://store.kwausa.com/professional-training/

Its supposed to be designed specifically to be a training analog. They have a P226 model also. Mine has a small amount of recoil, zips through a cardboard IDPA target, functions reliably, fits in my holsters, and accepts Wilson and LTT grips made for the real gun. It also shoots to POA at the close ranges I’ve tried. I’ve mainly used it to practice first round from the holster on the beep, and moving safely/rapidly through mock courses of fire. Its louder than I expected. I’ll probably buy a Glock model at some point.

Firefly
08-27-19, 16:35
I know someone who cannot go to the range any longer physically and they bought the best Japanese replica of a Glock 17 to shoot at home with and it is honestly good therapy and practice

08-27-19, 18:08
I know someone who cannot go to the range any longer physically and they bought the best Japanese replica of a Glock 17 to shoot at home with and it is honestly good therapy and practice
Since I posted earlier, I learned that the brand I recommended doesn’t do a G19 in their training gun lineup.... what brand does your friend have?

Firefly
08-27-19, 18:48
Since I posted earlier, I learned that the brand I recommended doesn’t do a G19 in their training gun lineup.... what brand does your friend have?

He got a Tokyo Marui. I dunno if its "the best ever" but it felt pretty good to me. I was never into airsoft. But it feels pretty faithful. His uses that gas stuff

08-27-19, 19:05
He got a Tokyo Marui. I dunno if its "the best ever" but it felt pretty good to me. I was never into airsoft. But it feels pretty faithful. His uses that gas stuff

Thanks. I’ll start my research there.

Firefly
08-27-19, 19:16
Thanks. I’ll start my research there.

No prob. I'll ask him where he got his but he said either amazon or ebay. once I find out I'll help truffle one up for you.

Eurodriver
08-27-19, 19:49
TM makes great Electric guns but there is a better, all metal gas gun.

For the life of me though I can’t remember who makes it.

ETA: It’s KWC

CRAMBONE
08-27-19, 20:22
I’m interested in this also. I lost my free range and ammo when I left my last job in June.

Do they make biodegradable BBs yet?

zombiescometh
08-27-19, 20:55
Lots of options
https://www.airsoftgi.com/new_products.php
https://evike.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Striker6
08-27-19, 21:28
As mentioned in a previous response, KWA makes a good quality gas blow back pistol. Their 226 model is actually very nice and would serve as a good trainer option.

63Qcode
08-27-19, 21:33
Thanks for the replies/sources . I contacted KWA today and they have a "Sig " P226 which is close to my Sig P229 . Also looking for a CZ P01 . Would like to get as close as possible to the original gun as I currently carry the P01 ( Set up by CGW ) and am playing with the Sig to see which I shoot the best and then spend all my training time on that one .

I plan to use the airsoft guns to supplement my range time with live ammo ...... do a lot of dry firing , but looking for feedback from my sessions at home .

PrivateCitizen
08-28-19, 08:11
One of the best bits I've seen a while … regardless of what may be ones own personal bias it is a fun watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQDfwyUgtjg

I have a buddy who airsofts quit a bit and he pointed me to Evike.

The break up pistols by manufacturer. There is now even an official Glock model along with P226 & M9s:
https://www.evike.com/shop/21/839/

For pistols he says gas, rifles should be electric.

63Qcode
08-28-19, 08:53
I contacted evike the other day , but really didn`t have enough info to have the guy help me . Plan to get back with them later this week after sorting out the carb on one of my other toys .

I`m planning on using IDPA outlines mounted on several large pieces of Styrofoam as a backstop , which I`m hoping will trap the BB`s so they don`t go all over the garage ..... maybe 4 to 5" total thickness ?

Since my P229 is a SAO gun , I may also get a 1911 to work on safety manipulation as that should more closely resemble the SAO Sig .

Anyway , those are my first thoughts . Thanks guys .

P2Vaircrewman
08-28-19, 09:40
I bought a Uarex Glock 19 co2 BB pistol ($80) and built a BB trap for shooting in my garage. I recycle most of the BB I shoot. The trigger isn't exactly like a Glock but close, pull is about the same but reset is long. Accuracy at 20 feet is better than I expected. I use cheap paper plates as targets.
I use it for timed draw and fire. I allowed me to fix my issue of not always concentrating on grip and the front sight. I shoot about 200 BBs a session several times a week and it has really helped my shooting. Only down side is although it is close dimensionally to the Glock it won't fit some of my kydex holsters. I had a cheap IWB I had not been using so I reformed it the fit.

Rogue556
08-28-19, 13:01
I have a cheap spring operated airsoft pistol that I use for drawing from concealment. It's a S&W M&P clone of some sort, but fits in one of my spare VP9 holsters. I typically use my Pocket Pro 2 shot timer cliped to a camera tripod at eye level, arms length in front of me, and offset about two feet from my centerline on my strong side. With the Pocket Pro 2 sensitivity turned up, it picks up the "pop" and gives me draw times I can work with. Setup a 16"x20" carboard box with an old pillow inside and one end open, with a target taped/stapled to it. BB's peirce the paper, but stop against the pillow and pool at the bottom to keep from going everywhere.

I've got little ones at home, and using something other than a real firearm seems smart when they are home. I try to always get a few reps in afterword with the real pistol though if it's possibe to do so safely, that we the last reps I do are with the real thing.

Maybe I need to invest in a proper clone of my carry pistol that's true to size and weight.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Firefly
08-28-19, 14:58

http://armypanda.com/products/Army-Panda-Custom-G17-%283rd-Gen%29-CNC-Metal-Slide-Version.html

What my friend said he got. Euro may be more savvy with regard to a better or similar Glock airsoft but this is what my friend ordered

Diamondback
08-28-19, 15:30
I’m interested in this also. I lost my free range and ammo when I left my last job in June.

Do they make biodegradable BBs yet?

Supposedly, biodegradables have been around for fifteen years... I was using them when I was in college, and that was 15 years ago.

08-28-19, 16:02

http://armypanda.com/products/Army-Panda-Custom-G17-%283rd-Gen%29-CNC-Metal-Slide-Version.html

What my friend said he got. Euro may be more savvy with regard to a better or similar Glock airsoft but this is what my friend ordered
Thanks brother. I’ll look into that.

PrivateCitizen
08-28-19, 16:41
I just ordered the G19 Gen 3 and some bits from Amazon. With luck I'll get it out this weekend and report back. Feels silly, honestly. But, hey, if it works …

telecustom
08-30-19, 07:14
I just ordered the G19 Gen 3 and some bits from Amazon. With luck I'll get it out this weekend and report back. Feels silly, honestly. But, hey, if it works …

I’ve been using one for back yard training for over a month. I’m very happy with the feel and operation. It’s also nice because my kid can get some trigger time without driving to the range.