PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever take a MAC flight?

Averageman
08-26-19, 17:57
It used to be you could hop a flight if they were heading that way, is that still a thing?

ABNAK
08-26-19, 18:38
Took one back in early '85 on a C-141 from Howard AFB, Panama, to McDill AFB in Tampa. Was $10 apiece for my ex and I. Rode in those fold-down seats we used when jumping.

TheChunkNorris
08-26-19, 18:58
You mean an AMC flight? Think you can just sign up at the ADAG or the equivalent.

Co-gnARR
08-26-19, 20:31
I was scheduled for a flight then day of departure I was told my plane was not available. It was three days before I was able to get a flight. If you are retired, with out a fixed itinerary it seems like a cool way to hop around the globe. Active duty guys with precious little leave on the books, not so much. One other thing- especially when leaving from a humid area, don’t sit below the air vents.

Corse
08-26-19, 20:31
You can still sign up to fly space-a.

https://www.amc.af.mil/Home/AMC-Travel-Site/AMC-Space-Available-Travel-Page/

soulezoo
08-26-19, 20:48
Don't be one of those "ORF's" we flight crew hated...
That's all I ask.

Corse
08-26-19, 21:39
Don't be one of those "ORF's" we flight crew hated...
That's all I ask.

That was the best part of AFSOC, no space-a.

jpmuscle
08-26-19, 21:44
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190827/331ec82f99b6da4389ff920cbb034c92.jpg

I can feel the cold just thinking about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-26-19, 23:38
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190827/331ec82f99b6da4389ff920cbb034c92.jpg

I can feel the cold just thinking about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MMM, lay flat seats....

ThirdWatcher
08-27-19, 07:26
Funny, best sleep I ever got was on a C-130 (sleeping on top of a jeep trailer full of duffle bags). Next thing I knew the Crew Chief woke me up when it was time to land.

26 Inf
08-27-19, 13:24
Are you going one way? Getting back is sometimes problematic unless you return on the aircraft that brought you.

Grand58742
08-27-19, 20:38
Are you going one way? Getting back is sometimes problematic unless you return on the aircraft that brought you.

This. Always have a plan B (and money) for getting back to where you came from, i.e. a civilian flight. Some locations are easier to possibly catch another flight (Ramstein AB for example) coming back stateside, but they might not be taking you exactly where you wanted to go. Also, you do get dropped off in the middle of an active base that may very well not be connected to a civilian airport.

I have known folks who used Space A travel to get to and from some cool spots for vacation and saved a butt-ton of money that normally would have been spent on a flight. I also know some who got stranded and paid a butt-ton of money on last minute tickets for a commercial flight because the Space A didn't come available.

It's like filing your taxes, really cool when it works in your favor and you get a return, but it really sucks when you end up paying.

Food for thought.

Averageman
08-30-19, 15:09
I'm looking to go to the Philippines.
I was thinking of working my way West from Texas and catching a MAC to Hawaii.
Then a ticket from Hawaii to Davos PI.

26 Inf
08-30-19, 19:23
I'm looking to go to the Philippines.
I was thinking of working my way West from Texas and catching a MAC to Hawaii.
Then a ticket from Hawaii to Davos PI.

Just on a whim I ran flights from DFW and HNL to DVO. Looked like it would be cheaper to fly out of DFW at first glance - without knowing specific dates, etc.

26 Inf
08-30-19, 19:30
This. Always have a plan B (and money) for getting back to where you came from, i.e. a civilian flight. Some locations are easier to possibly catch another flight (Ramstein AB for example) coming back stateside, but they might not be taking you exactly where you wanted to go. Also, you do get dropped off in the middle of an active base that may very well not be connected to a civilian airport.

I have known folks who used Space A travel to get to and from some cool spots for vacation and saved a butt-ton of money that normally would have been spent on a flight. I also know some who got stranded and paid a butt-ton of money on last minute tickets for a commercial flight because the Space A didn't come available.

It's like filing your taxes, really cool when it works in your favor and you get a return, but it really sucks when you end up paying.

Food for thought.

Not only Space A. We used JAATT missions to get to and from winter training sites and to annual training - we'd jump into the site and then back home. I had a platoon at Ft McCoy and when I sent the JM in from the field into the air field to coordinate, found out the mission had been scrubbed. So here we were with 23 troops (a PFDR platoon is small) no vehicles, and 650 miles from home. We didn't have enough MRE's to ruck it, finally got the Chinook outfit to fly us back.