PDA

View Full Version : Serial number database?

snackgunner
08-27-19, 09:33
Isn't there a website where you can enter a guns serial number and check if the gun has been listed as stolen or maybe it lists the persons name who owns it? One or the other

I know someone showed me the website one time a while ago. It might have been just a website for guns stolen in Florida only

jsbhike
08-27-19, 09:43
Florida is the only one I recall seeing.

26 Inf
08-27-19, 13:04
Isn't there a website where you can enter a guns serial number and check if the gun has been listed as stolen or maybe it lists the persons name who owns it? One or the other

I know someone showed me the website one time a while ago. It might have been just a website for guns stolen in Florida only

NCIC, the LE database, has a file for serial numbers of stolen weapons and those that have been used in crimes.

When I was a young officer people would sometimes come to the station or approach an officer to run a weapon. The dispatcher would do it if asked. I'd imagine the rules against such use of the database were in place then, but it wasn't uncommon. In today's world things are much tighter.

As noted, states can make a 'registration' data base, but federal law prohibits the federal government from doing so.

jsbhike
08-27-19, 14:01
Florida was the first I recall seeing have a stolen list available for general use. I don't recall seeing anything else pop up since that time and not seeing others on search.

http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/restricted/PAS/StolenGun.jsf

See a few that claim to be free private data bases that look a lot a cross between free people searches (that require payment for narrowing down the results to anything truly useful) and straight up click bait.