PDA

View Full Version : My analysis of 40+ round mag options...

TED
08-30-19, 22:39
If you want a 40rd mag, Magpul is where its at. The end.

But, what if you want more than 40, in a mag, not a drum?

Options include, in order of appearance on the market...

Surefire 60rd quad stack, approx. 8 & 3/4 inches long, approx $100 to $125.

Torkmag 50rd double stack, unique design, 2 separate but cooperative springs, approx. 10 & 3/4 inches long, approx $30.

Schmeisser 60rd quad stack, approx., 9 & 3/4 inches long, approx $50.

The Magpul 40rd mag, just for comparison, is approx. 9 & 1/2 inches long and approx. $20.

Reliability...
Surefire has been 90% reliable but has had several failure to feed issues where the stack has gotten stuck.
Magpul 40rd has been 100%.
Torkmag 50rd has been 100% in several hundred rounds in AR's. NOTE: It will not work, at all, in an AUG NATO stock.
Schmeisser has been 100% but I only have 120 rounds through it thus far. So I only ran it twice. I just got it about 2 weeks ago.

Other thoughts...
I like the Schmeisser just as good as the Surfire and it is half the cost. I do have serious concerns about feed lip spread from being left loaded on both of these.

For me, the Torkmag at 50rds and $30 is the overwhelming winner. Unless, of course, you have a need for something shorter, for example you can go prone with the Surefire pretty well, being shorter than the Magpul 40 for example.

TED

utahjeepr
09-01-19, 12:19
While I admit to being curious about these extra capacity mags, 20 and 30 rounders are much more convenient, and as such I have tried none of the larger ones. Mag changes are easy. Dealing with extra weight /bulk does not seem to worth the trouble. YMMV.

Thanks for the comparison though.

FWIW, I run stick mags not drums in my AK and saiga 12 as well so maybe I'm just missing the boat.

Circle_10
09-01-19, 12:42
I don't know if those Bulgarian made IK-520 40 round AR mags are still out there on the market but back before the Pmag 40s came out I bought four of the Bulgarians. I didn't use them a whole lot but never ran into any issues with them. The feedback from others who used them also seemed to be positive overall from what I recall.

When the Pmag 40s came out later on I jumped on them and bought a whole bunch. However I find I basically never use them for anything these days. A lot of them are still in the wrapper.
That bit of extra length makes the 40s just a bit too long or too cumbersome for most of my purposes, I like having the option though.

RHINOWSO
09-01-19, 19:36
No reason to not use a Magpul D-60. Those things fracking rock and and are no longer than a regular 30rd mag.

I'd use a 30rd or the D-60 before using a 40rd anything.

Only place they lose on it price.

Send it...
09-01-19, 21:53
D60’s rock.

ViniVidivici
09-01-19, 23:07
I keep wantin' to try one o' those magpul 40s. Suppose I should before they screw us further here in WA.

uffdaphil
09-02-19, 02:00
I got a Torkmag 35 and 50. So far so good, but not enough reports of reliability to trust for a defense gun. Same with the Schmeisser. Too many reported issues with the Surefire for me. Sold my Magpul-60. Yeah it was cool, but too bulky to carry as a spare and way to slow to reload. The Magpul 40s are sweet, but awkward for bench shooting. So I’ll stick with 30s and 20s mostly at about a 80/20 ratio. Pretty much evenly split between Magpul, Lancer and USGI. Whatever I find the best deals on.

mack7.62
09-02-19, 05:55
Which of those mags do you see the military go fast guys using? Right, if I were in the market for a +40 the D-60 is the only way I would roll and learn to deal with the bulk.

Go to post 855 (how appropriate) and look closely at picture #1.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?203230-Geissele-URG-I-up-for-pre-order/page86

Then look at bottom of picture #2, can't say for sure but that kinda looks like a bandoleer of em. Helps if you save photos and rotate them to correct orientation and zoom in.

Here's the thing I have a hard time wrapping my head around, buying product X because it's $ while Y is $$ then spending $$$$ to prove to myself it's just as good/reliable as Y.

Circle_10
09-02-19, 06:25
The fact you can get like five or six Pmag 40s for the price of one D60 is significant. The D60's overall length is much less obtrusive though, however it does still present some challenges in carrying spares.
I have two D60's that, like my 40rounders, don't get a lot of use.

For the 40 rounders, I've found that two of them fit in a Galil mag pouch relatively well.

mack7.62
09-02-19, 07:03
Yeah the D-60 is a niche item for civvies's, but in use I don't see much need for carrying spares, one in the gun and 30's after that.

RHINOWSO
09-02-19, 07:52
Yeah the D-60 is a niche item for civvies's, but in use I don't see much need for carrying spares, one in the gun and 30's after that.
Yup, first mag in the rifle then just 30s after that.

Spare 40s look to be a bitch as well, but then again I think they suck all around.

Ned Christiansen
09-02-19, 08:10
Could not find actual US distribution of the Schmeisser, tried to contact them, and crickets. Nothing says "not a real company and we don't have any of the stuff on our site" like not answering an inquiry from someone with money burning a hole in their pocket. Where did you get it?

edit: searched again and found them easily. Guess my inquiry to them predated their stuff actually being here.

Todd.K
09-02-19, 12:33
I only see the need for one plus sized mag. It's not for the range or for everyday use.

It's useful when you may grab a carbine but not have or not have time for your gear.

ALCOAR
09-02-19, 12:37
The ATI mags looks promising. Got a few to test out. Apparently there is some reports of problems using steel in them which won't effect me.

Great looking mag for $50, and the D60 is just wayyyyy to much for what you get.

https://i.imgur.com/wRDBtkv.jpg

great thread!

Firefly
09-02-19, 12:53
Schmeisser has a good name on Krauttube.

I kinda like my Surefire. Don’t have a D60. Would probably get this or another Surefire

jack crab
09-02-19, 16:06
Could not find actual US distribution of the Schmeisser, tried to contact them, and crickets. Nothing says "not a real company and we don't have any of the stuff on our site" like not answering an inquiry from someone with money burning a hole in their pocket. Where did you get it?

edit: searched again and found them easily. Guess my inquiry to them predated their stuff actually being here.

Brownells ran them in their recent product video. They had them in stock last I checked.

Diamondback
09-02-19, 16:36

Palmetto stocks 'em too, they're on Labor Day Sale for five bucks off or so.

JoshNC
09-02-19, 23:24
No reason to not use a Magpul D-60. Those things fracking rock and and are no longer than a regular 30rd mag.

I'd use a 30rd or the D-60 before using a 40rd anything.

Only place they lose on it price.

They are great but are not fun to load. Especially coming from Beta mags, which are easy to load.

tehpwnag3
09-03-19, 09:34
I have a few Magpul 40's and like them. They are stupid long though.

Any mag that isn't 100% reliable gets thrown away. IDGAF if it cost $125.

TomMcC
09-03-19, 20:55
I use Magpul 40's with 5 round extensions all the time in 3gun. They're cheap and work great...not one problem.

JediGuy
09-03-19, 21:01
I use Magpul 40's with 5 round extensions all the time in 3gun. They're cheap and work great...not one problem.

Only Strike Industries product I use...

TomMcC
09-03-19, 21:27
Only Strike Industries product I use...

Yep, that's what I use also. They cost $12, match the mag and work just peachy. I couldnt swallow the $40 for the super zoot aluminum ones, as nice as they are. SI gets bagged on pretty hard, but some of their stuff works well.

Diamondback
09-03-19, 22:14

I *was* gonna adopt Concealed Concepts' combo +5 extension/coupler system for the 40's on the Briefcase Monster back when it carried a Shockwave Blade, but they discontinued 'em on me after my order was placed.

3ACR_Scout
09-03-19, 22:26
Which of those mags do you see the military go fast guys using? Right, if I were in the market for a +40 the D-60 is the only way I would roll and learn to deal with the bulk.
When we trained with an SF direct action team a couple years ago, several of their guys were carrying PMAG 40s. When they moved into a support by fire position, they swapped their 30s out for a 40 to give themselves the extra rounds while they were in a relatively static position. They didn’t have any D60s, but I think those were just starting to show up in units, mostly personally purchased at that time.

TomMcC
09-03-19, 22:49
I *was* gonna adopt Concealed Concepts' combo +5 extension/coupler system for the 40's on the Briefcase Monster back when it carried a Shockwave Blade, but they discontinued 'em on me after my order was placed.

Trick looking but pricey.

Diamondback
09-04-19, 00:02
Trick looking but pricey.

True... I ordered when Odin Works was running a really good sale, which turned out to be "Final Clearance" and I was out past the tail end. They had to cancel it, but still honored the Free Shipping on my endplate that was the only other thing on the order...

RHINOWSO
09-05-19, 14:42
They are great but are not fun to load. Especially coming from Beta mags, which are easy to load.

Agreed, the D-60s have downsides; namely slow to load and pricey. But you can find them for $90-95 at times if you look around and wait.

For me they are the perfect first magazine in the rifle and I have a couple, to include one just to train with.

All my reloads are 30rds along with some 20rd mags for precision ARs (all Okay/NHMTG/PMAG M3).

I can see the utility for longer 40rd mags for gun gamers - just like heavier barrels and obnoxious brakes to make the gun not move when shooting, it doesn't always translate into reality.

tehpwnag3
09-05-19, 15:04
Going prone with a 40 (monopod style) is not my favorite thing to do.

I can see the utility for longer 40rd mags for gun gamers - just like heavier barrels and obnoxious brakes to make the gun not move when shooting, it doesn't always translate into reality.

Circle_10
09-05-19, 18:09
I've debated using one of my 40s as the mag I keep loaded in my HD gun, as I'm not likely to be going prone in the house, but those mags are just clunky enough that I usually don't even really do that. Plus if I'm going to take the carbine out of the house and put it in my Jeep (because my HD AR isn't *just* the house gun, it's basically my main general use AR) I end up swapping the 40 out for a 30 rounder (or sometimes *gasp* a 20 rounder) anyway, as the 40s are just clumsier in a vehicle don't allow the gun to sit properly in the behind-the-seat rifle carrier i have.

09-05-19, 18:54
I've debated using one of my 40s as the mag I keep loaded in my HD gun, as I'm not likely to be going prone in the house, but those mags are just clunky enough that I usually don't even really do that. Plus if I'm going to take the carbine out of the house and put it in my Jeep (because my HD AR isn't *just* the house gun, it's basically my main general use AR) I end up swapping the 40 out for a 30 rounder (or sometimes *gasp* a 20 rounder) anyway, as the 40s are just clumsier in a vehicle don't allow the gun to sit properly in the behind-the-seat rifle carrier i have.

I keep a 20 in my house gun, which is also my truck gun, my in the locker at my station gun, and my goto the range when I get off in the morning gun.

jpmuscle
09-05-19, 19:57
It’s funny how folks moved away from redimags since it came reason that adding an extra pound plus to a rifle was fools errand.

And yet here we are coming full circle again lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomMcC
09-05-19, 20:31
I only use my extended 40 pmags specifically for 3gun where it saves me a reload most of the time. The slight weight increase for a known time is worth the reload advantage for me. Other than that I almost always use single 30's or sometimes a 20.

kaltesherz
09-05-19, 20:58
I use Magpul 40's as the "starter mag" in my M4A1 at work, otherwise I just use lightly modded USGI mags. Their 40 rounders work 100% for me with live and blanks, in fact 99% of the time I'm using the original mag I picked up when they first came out. It gives me more BB's plus works as a great monopod in full kit (I'm 6'3 210 lbs so YMMV). Also the slightly heavier weight means they drop free easily. Huge fan, they just work.