PDA

View Full Version : Billy Waugh

WillBrink
08-31-19, 08:53
Look up tough SOB, his picture is there I think. At 71 was hunting bin Laden in Afghanistan for the CIA and his career, what's not classified, makes Rambo and the rest look like pussies . Anyone read his book?

https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/billy-waugh-special-forces-cia

His site:

http://billywaugh.net/

RobertTheTexan
08-31-19, 09:52
Interesting guy. But man, I have never in my life seen so many commercials in a 2-minute video. Regardless I'll check out his book.

just a scout
08-31-19, 10:27
Friend of a friend. True bad ass and a nice guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Det-Sog
08-31-19, 10:42
Same age as my dad. That really puts things in perspective. My dad is an old Korea War Marine. I wouldn’t mess with him either.

WillBrink
08-31-19, 11:08
Same age as my dad. That really puts things in perspective. My dad is an old Korea War Marine. I wouldn’t mess with him either.

71, he was still not just on the job, but in the thick of it face shooting bad guys. WTF?! Just glad he's on our side.

As I say in my fiction series a few times, and something I know as a fact, when you think you're a bad ass, there's always someone tougher, meaner, stronger, or just luckier and that guy proves it. :dirol:

WillBrink
08-31-19, 11:10
Friend of a friend. True bad ass and a nice guy

Says he lives in northern FL, so likely not that far from me. I'd be happy to extend comped access to the museum, personal tour, etc if you want to have that forwarded via channels.

chuckman
08-31-19, 14:04

Same age as your dad? And your dad was in Korea? How old was he in Korea?

I have a friend who was in Special Forces at the school house, this guy came to give a presentation, my friend happened to be walking to the parking lot when he pulled in. He didn't know him from Adam, he thought he was just this old guy coming to visit the old stomping grounds. Later when he was in Waugh's presentation he felt like an ass.

murphy j
08-31-19, 15:59
Friend of mine served with him in Vietnam. I read his book years ago and asked my friend about him. His response was "He's still alive? He'd do hairy shit that I wouldn't, and I did a lot of pretty hairy stuff for fun." Sadly my friend passed in 2014.

flenna
08-31-19, 16:55
Thanks for the information, I just downloaded Billy Waugh’s book on Kindle Unlimited.

lowprone
08-31-19, 17:24
America produces some interesting individuals, Yes !

Det-Sog
08-31-19, 19:52
Same age as your dad? And your dad was in Korea? How old was he in Korea?]

From the article:

Waugh was born in 1929

My dad will be 90 in just a few weeks. Born in 1929 also.

Someone in the article is not doing their math correctly if Mr. Waugh was born in 1929.

jsbhike
08-31-19, 20:43
From the article:

Someone in the article is not doing their math correctly if Mr. Waugh was born in 1929.

71 mention was 2001+/-

ABNAK
08-31-19, 20:47
From the article:

The article (from 2015) says he was 85 at the time....could have been getting ready to turn 86 later that year, so the math would be correct in that regard. He would have been 71 or 72 around the post-9-11 times.

Hard core old bastard! I've read of him about his Vietnam MACV SOG exploits. He was the SGM of CCN (Command and Control North) out of Da Nang. He is mentioned several times in John Plaster's books about SOG.

chuckman
08-31-19, 20:51
From the article:

Yup, got it. That makes sense.

jsbhike
08-31-19, 20:52
Looked his wiki up, born Dec. 1, 1929. Was in Afghanistan October to December 2001 so he turned 72 before heading back here.

Thought I had heard the name before and after checking the book I thought he was mentioned in I figured out I read about him in 1999-2000.

Diamondback
08-31-19, 21:54
71, he was still not just on the job, but in the thick of it face shooting bad guys. WTF?! Just glad he's on our side.

As I say in my fiction series a few times, and something I know as a fact, when you think you're a bad ass, there's always someone tougher, meaner, stronger, or just luckier and that guy proves it. :dirol:
Truth, brother, I had to do this same thing with The Ex's ex when I was watching over her--he had all the cards in his favor except for pure cussed "if it's my time I'm going down and I'll drag you kicking and screaming through the gates of Hell with me" ornery.

Even if he wasn't UDT/SEAL, maybe Mr. Waugh deserves a little space of his own in the museum as a local hero probably not likely to be recognized many other places. Hats off to him, we all can only hope to be a fraction as tough or active when we reach his age. (Some of us a smaller fraction than others... LOL)