PDA

View Full Version : Need help...got an irritating noise in my driver door!

Straight Shooter
08-31-19, 20:54
Gents, we cover a lot of topics here in GD...but mods if this aint kosher, 86 it. Here goes.
Got a 2014 Nissan Altima with 63000 miles.
Of late Ive got a whirring, grinding,gear type noise in the driver door, just loud enough to drive me batty.
Right under where my left arm rests while driving, sounds like. Thoughts..guesses..ideas on what & how to fix?
As for Nissan, Ive had two..no more.
Thanks for any help!

1_click_off
08-31-19, 21:22
Is there trim on the outside of the door? If so, check to see if it is coming loose.

Edit: or front mud flap

This is an odd one for sure.

Straight Shooter
08-31-19, 21:31
Is there trim on the outside of the door? If so, check to see if it is coming loose.

Edit: or front mud flap

This is an odd one for sure.

No, nothing like that. Its on the inside of the door, like it might be some kinda motor for the locks, window or mirror..something like that.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-31-19, 22:43
Start pulling fuses ?

1_click_off
09-01-19, 07:18
Do you have to be moving?

Does it happen with the radio on and or off? If the radio is on, it could be magnetic interference coming out the speaker.

1_click_off
09-01-19, 07:19
Might could also be a loose support that is rubbing.

Averageman
09-01-19, 08:30
Does the window work properly?
I would seriously consider that my motor for my widow might be making that noise, it certainly, as you describe it sound that way. The power windows on my 04 Colorado finally gave up. I took the trim off and zip locked them up in 2015.
If the little lever gets some built up crud, you'll be sending a signal to the motor.

tb-av
09-01-19, 12:44
Go to YouTube and find a video on how to remove the door panels.

Skyyr
09-01-19, 15:58
Check the seatbelt hub. Try holding it or whacking it while driving and see if that changes or stops the sound.

tb-av
09-01-19, 16:09
You are sure it's not this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vTK8CTQP38

SteyrAUG
09-01-19, 16:53
Go to YouTube and find a video on how to remove the door panels.

This.

tb-av
09-01-19, 17:20
Could it be an early symptom of this? This is really strange and it's the door latch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSalOCglgBM

Straight Shooter
09-01-19, 19:26
Thanks gents..to answer questions:
Its not the door lock, for sure.
Yes, car must be going 45mph or over...doesnt do it under 45, radio on or off doesnt matter.
I looked into, and actually did pull a fuse, but put it back as it was good & controls a bunch of other stuff too.
Ive seen the door panels removal vids..but what am I looking for to fix?
Also- my power mirrors dont work on driver side, barely a tad on passenger.
Id hate to pull the panel for nothing if I dont know what to look for or how to fix it, or cost.
Yes, windows & all else are fine.
More thoughts & ideas welcomed.

Straight Shooter
09-01-19, 19:28
Check the seatbelt hub. Try holding it or whacking it while driving and see if that changes or stops the sound.

Will do. You mean what the belt clicks into next to the seat, right?

tb-av
09-01-19, 20:57
If you took the panel off you could possibly see what the issue is. Or maybe touch things to see if they are hot, vibrate, etc...

I have seen guys get new guitars and get a buzzing and can't for the life of them figure out what it is. When it's just a thin washer on the tuning machines vibrating due to a loose nut.

Ok, you can rule out the speaker.

You can't rule out any loose nuts that mount anything though.

However when you say your windows don't work it sort of sounds like they are the issue. The motor could be running, or drawing a lot of current and screwing up the others as well.

Can you find the specific fuse for your windows? The fuse need not be blown out. In fact it won't be.

Check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAos-qlYUos You can skip to the very end.... He was teaching how to find a parasitic draw that drains a battery. What happened was a draw for 1 second every 10 seconds or so. Motor was stuck. So you could have a similar type situation.

The 45 mph thing is kinda odd. I can't think of what might in the door that is speed related other than the mirror, maybe a loose fitting... but why it show up where you rest your arm would make no sense.

Kinda hard to do but try to press and pull on anything and everything. Any panels, fittings, switches, roll the window down and see if you can tell if it changes. If you can still hear it with the window down touch the mirror.

Have you got electronic hearing protection? If so put those on and crank them up. Maybe you can locate the source to a better degree. Driving 45 and trying to listen to the door is not the easiest thing though.

The fact your windows are already out of whack though, that would be my first place to look. The easiest way to remove them from the equation is by their fuse. Pull it and drive down the Interstate.

Straight Shooter
09-02-19, 08:52
If you took the panel off you could possibly see what the issue is. Or maybe touch things to see if they are hot, vibrate, etc...

I have seen guys get new guitars and get a buzzing and can't for the life of them figure out what it is. When it's just a thin washer on the tuning machines vibrating due to a loose nut.

Ok, you can rule out the speaker.

You can't rule out any loose nuts that mount anything though.

However when you say your windows don't work it sort of sounds like they are the issue. The motor could be running, or drawing a lot of current and screwing up the others as well.

Can you find the specific fuse for your windows? The fuse need not be blown out. In fact it won't be.

Check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAos-qlYUos You can skip to the very end.... He was teaching how to find a parasitic draw that drains a battery. What happened was a draw for 1 second every 10 seconds or so. Motor was stuck. So you could have a similar type situation.

The 45 mph thing is kinda odd. I can't think of what might in the door that is speed related other than the mirror, maybe a loose fitting... but why it show up where you rest your arm would make no sense.

Kinda hard to do but try to press and pull on anything and everything. Any panels, fittings, switches, roll the window down and see if you can tell if it changes. If you can still hear it with the window down touch the mirror.

Have you got electronic hearing protection? If so put those on and crank them up. Maybe you can locate the source to a better degree. Driving 45 and trying to listen to the door is not the easiest thing though.

The fact your windows are already out of whack though, that would be my first place to look. The easiest way to remove them from the equation is by their fuse. Pull it and drive down the Interstate.

Thanks for the reply, brother.
The windows are fine, no prob.
And after seeing the fuse diagram, the power mirror fuse controls too much other stuff to pull it out, Im afraid Id jack up something else.
So..at this point the dreaded trip to the dealership for a diagnosis. Not letting them fix it, mind you.
Just tell me what/where it is & Ill try myself.

tb-av
09-02-19, 09:01
The windows are fine, no prob.

Also- my power windows dont work on driver side, barely a tad on passenger.

???? I thought you said they didn't work?

At any rate, pulling a fuse is no different than turning a switch off. All you want to see is if the noise goes away. If it does, then it's a motor trying to run on the window regulator or the mirror.

Straight Shooter
09-02-19, 09:28
???? I thought you said they didn't work?

At any rate, pulling a fuse is no different than turning a switch off. All you want to see is if the noise goes away. If it does, then it's a motor trying to run on the window regulator or the mirror.

Shoot, my bad brother...meant mirrors. Didnt know I had mis-spoke.

Averageman
09-02-19, 09:34

I've taken plenty of those door panels off, it's really not difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qztuEucrNBc
Inside is a X or Z shaped frame a motor some wire, two pulleys and an electric motor.
That's a lot of stuff that can make noises at speed.
Honestly when my motor gave out I just pushed the windows all the way up and zip tied the frame to hold it in place. it had 250,000 miles on it and was given to my Son.

Skyyr
09-02-19, 11:31
Will do. You mean what the belt clicks into next to the seat, right?

No, the part where it attaches and dispenses from the frame. There is usually a hub over it and it many times has springs and such that can rattle.

1_click_off
09-02-19, 13:31
Since it doesn’t appear until 45mph, it has me wondering if it is a weatherstripping issue and wind noise from a leak around the door or the plastic liner between the door panel and door.

What happens if you crack or roll a window down going down the road, or turn the AC from recycle to fresh air? Does if change anything then?

tb-av
09-02-19, 14:10
This ????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH9yWWmpJUU

tb-av
09-02-19, 17:31
You could always put a gallon freezer baggie over your mirror and tape any seams with masking tape. Then wrap the baggie with masking tape.

That would rule out wind on the mirror. Or at least drastically change the profile.

Also take a close look at all your door trim. Top to bottom. Be sure you don't have a little piece that is torn or cracked and it get's to buzzing at speed.

The speed + noise where your arm rests makes no sense to me.

hotrodder636
09-02-19, 19:31
Tagged to hear solution

Straight Shooter
09-02-19, 20:42
Since it doesn’t appear until 45mph, it has me wondering if it is a weatherstripping issue and wind noise from a leak around the door or the plastic liner between the door panel and door.

What happens if you crack or roll a window down going down the road, or turn the AC from recycle to fresh air? Does if change anything then?

This ????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH9yWWmpJUU

Not a weatherstripping problem, all good there. And, its not the outside mirror...Im gonna have to take it to be looked at..during the work week I cant fool with it at all.

223to45
09-02-19, 20:48
Since it is only 45 and above, does it change if you rock the car back and forth, shifting weight to left and right. You said grinding, maybe wheel bearings, maybe just reverberating through door?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Adrenaline_6
09-02-19, 20:58
Sounds like my 2012 Pathfinder. It happens at about 45 mph if engine is under light load. The harmonics must be just right at that speed. It is definitely something vibrating though. I have grew to ignore it and my brain has just filtered it out. It is my wife's car so if she didn't care about it when I told her to take it and get the dealership to check it then I don't drive it enough to bother me either and it doesn't affect function so...whateves.