PDA

View Full Version : Geissele G2S Creep?

MichaelW
09-02-19, 09:47
Hey all, could not find a thread discussing this topic.

I recently installed a G2S in a Colt lower and noticed that I have a slight bit of creep before the trigger breaks the second stage.

For some context, I have an SSA-E that breaks very clean (my favorite trigger) and 2x Larue MBT-2S that also break very clean.

I emailed Geissele and they offered to have me send it back in for them to take a look, but before I do I just wanted to get a gut check to see if my expectations are in line.

I've got about 350 rounds through the trigger and it "seems" like its getting better.

The occurence is not consistent, about 1 out of 5 pulls I get the creep and it seems to happen more when I shoot from reset.

Just for giggles, I removed it from the gun, cleaned it real well, re-lubed the pins and re-installed it. Still happens.

It's not like a BAD creep, maybe 2mm it's but enough for me to notice it and be annoyed when making more precise shots.

Anyone else with a G2S experience this? Is it just normal for this trigger?

Thanks in advance.

M-

SomeOtherGuy
09-02-19, 10:13
This is normal IME. I have a couple G2S and also the predecessor S2S. Apart from the D-clip retaining method you also get a lower standard of sear grinding - still VERY high, but not SSA and up high. Mine have smoothed out a lot after a couple hundred pulls. I also installed a S2S for a friend which has basically an SSA pull from the start.

If you like Geissele but don't want to pay $240 (FYI, sale this weekend, haven't checked what triggers are today) I think this is your trade off. If you don't have a strong brand preference, Larue's MBT-2S for $87 is a really compelling alternative.

MichaelW
09-02-19, 11:41
This is normal IME. I have a couple G2S and also the predecessor S2S. Apart from the D-clip retaining method you also get a lower standard of sear grinding - still VERY high, but not SSA and up high. Mine have smoothed out a lot after a couple hundred pulls. I also installed a S2S for a friend which has basically an SSA pull from the start.

If you like Geissele but don't want to pay $240 (FYI, sale this weekend, haven't checked what triggers are today) I think this is your trade off. If you don't have a strong brand preference, Larue's MBT-2S for $87 is a really compelling alternative.

Thanks for the confirmation, this is what I suspected. Maybe I bought into all the "No different than the SSA" hype.

FWIW (see above) I do have a couple of Larue MBT-2S triggers. I got one at $87 then another when they went down to $80.
Kinda of a no-brainer for me going forward. At that price it's phenomenally good trigger. (and no creep, breaks very clean)

Happy Labor Day (and Happy Dorian Day for those of you down in FL like me:)

lysander
09-02-19, 11:59
The few G2S triggers I have don't have any creep, and never did.

lordmorgul
09-02-19, 12:59
I have three of them and they all feel the same, but I’ve never felt an SSA-E so won’t comment on comparison.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

SomeOtherGuy
09-02-19, 20:31
FWIW (see above) I do have a couple of Larue MBT-2S triggers. I got one at $87 then another when they went down to $80. Kinda of a no-brainer for me going forward. At that price it's phenomenally good trigger. (and no creep, breaks very clean)

Yeah I missed that note somehow, oops. I find the value of the MBT-2S astounding. I used to own something like 10-12 Geissele triggers. I still have 6 or so of them. I had the SSA-E and SD-E at various times but found the second stage too light for my purposes. Some people think the Larue is heavy-ish but I don't, I find it and the SSA/G2S perfect. I don't find any real functional difference between the MBT and SSA. The SSA has a more robust disconnector attachment, but it's made from a casting (albeit a very high quality casting) vs. Larue's S7 steel plates. Since both companies are known for making consistently high quality products I don't see any strong reason to favor one over the other, except price.

AndyLate
09-04-19, 07:26
My G2S had excess creep in one lower receiver. It is fine/nice/clean in other lowers and is permanently installed in my LMT SPM14.

I recommend letting Giessele take care of you and exchange it. Tolerance stacking is real and the next trigger will probably be great in that rifle.

Andy

opngrnd
09-04-19, 07:45
I sent an SSA-E back for warranty and they replaced it. The sear engagement was minimal. I would prefer to err very heavily on the side of safety.

MichaelW
09-22-19, 05:49
Update:

I decided to send my G2S back into Geissele after all, got it back this week and installed it yesterday, it's MUCH better.
Very predictable break now without the weird creep I was getting every 4th or 5th pull.

Heres what they did:

"To recap you RMA we paired a new trigger body and hammer to ensure a smooth take up and the carrot like break profile of the G2S. I will have your trigger brought down to shipping and on its way back to you shortly."

Thanks all who commented.

AndyLate
09-22-19, 06:18
Update:

I decided to send my G2S back into Geissele after all, got it back this week and installed it yesterday, it's MUCH better.
Very predictable break now without the weird creep I was getting every 4th or 5th pull.

Excellent, and thank you for the update.

Andy

OldState
09-22-19, 08:01
Update:

Heres what they did:

"To recap you RMA we paired a new trigger body and hammer to ensure a smooth take up and the carrot like break profile of the G2S. I will have your trigger brought down to shipping and on its way back to you shortly."

Thanks all who commented.

Good to hear. There are way too many people here that tell others to basically “just deal with it” regarding all types of issues as long as the gun functions. That’s BS.
Hey I have a GS2-E and it has a very crisp break identical to my SD-E. You don’t spend the money on a Geissele to get a trigger with creep....you buy one to NOT have that. I expected them to take care of you and I’m glad to hear they did.

Packrat1947
10-11-19, 11:43
I know this thread is getting old, but I thought I would add my 2 cents. My SSA-E model is giving me "doubles" quite often. If this happens one more time, I'm going to remove it and go back to the LaRue trigger. Judging from these posts, Geissele's QC has gone down quite a bit (hit or miss).

lordmorgul
10-11-19, 12:43
I know this thread is getting old, but I thought I would add my 2 cents. My SSA-E model is giving me "doubles" quite often. If this happens one more time, I'm going to remove it and go back to the LaRue trigger. Judging from these posts, Geissele's QC has gone down quite a bit (hit or miss).

Have you checked the tolerances of your lower trigger pin holes? It could be tolerance stackup that the Larue tolerates.

Did you use their trigger pins or another set? Check diameters.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

opngrnd
10-11-19, 14:06
Contact them to check sear engagement.

Packrat1947
10-11-19, 20:23
The trigger worked fine for the first 100 shots or so. Now it is failing a couple of times on a 10 rnd mag. I've had Jewells, Millazzo-Kreigers, LaRue MBT-2S, and a few other good triggers. This one has an issue for sure. I may send it back or just throw it away. I'm just shooting off a bench and am following through OK. So it is not a bump stock type issue.59088 This is two groups of "doubles" at 56 yds in the backyard today. I just quit then.

opngrnd
10-11-19, 20:43
I sent a SSA-E back in and had it replaced. It had gained half a pound of pull weight. I thought I had a double with it, so I pulled it and sent it back in.

Packrat1947
10-11-19, 22:03
Thanks taekwondopreacher. I will send it back for evaluation. If I just used my single-shot adapter, I wouldn't have an issue. 59090

26 Inf
10-12-19, 01:51

I really like my MBT's, they are my go to triggers, I really like my Geissele SD-E, but at the different price points I'll take the MBT's.

Having said that, my experiences with Geissele have lead me to believe that they go above and beyond to make sure their products perform like they should and to keep you happy.

Call them, tell them your trigger is doubling and see what they say, I'll bet you'll get an RMA to send it back to them.

Good luck.

AndyLate
10-12-19, 06:52

Send your trigger back to the manufacturer and allow them to replace it. They will probably send you one that is on the high (or low) side of their acceptable tolerances to work with your rifle.

Alternatively - send it back, sell the unused replacement on the EE, and then buy a cassette trigger.

Keeping a trigger that is known to be problematic brings too much risk when the mitigation requires only a free e-mail.

Andy

Packrat1947
10-12-19, 11:17
Thanks 26, I will call them Monday. They always have a setup at Camp Perry each year. But that is still a long way off.

.223Pound
10-12-19, 17:43
I bought a second SSA-E during BF this year. I have both another SSA-E and SSA for comparison. My new SSA-E feels the same as the SSA pull-wise with perceptible creep in the second stage break. I used the included grease on the Sears and moly grease on the pins, same as my other two. I dry fired it about 100 times. I will regrease and reinstall everything and dry fire some more. I hope it ends up better as my first SSA-E is perfect. If not, I know Geissele will make it right.