PDA

View Full Version : Stainless or Chrome silicone mag springs?

jjc155
11-14-08, 09:25
I'm gonna get some 20rounders from Brownells for my work patrol rifle. They offer a choice between Stainless Steel or Chrome Silicone springs. Both are the same price if I remember right. They however do not go into the pro's/con's of each.

Rifle is used as my patrol rifle so it needs to be reliable so that is what I am looking for in the mags. It will be in and out of the car, all weather conditions and climates (im in Michigan so we have like 12 seasons and most of them suck, LOL). Dept policy is that we keep our mags 2 rounds short so they will never be "fully" loaded.

Anyone have opinions/experiences on which spring would be better for my situation? I am leaning towards the Stainless, but would like some extra thoughts due to the use of this rifle.

Thanks in advance,
J-

markm
11-14-08, 09:43
I stick to the mil spec stainless springs. Magpul tested a CS spring for the Pmag, but they didn't hold up nearly as well in the corrosion testing as stainless. It wasn't even close. They stuck with Stainless.

jjc155
11-14-08, 10:01
I stick to the mil spec stainless springs. Magpul tested a CS spring for the Pmag, but they didn't hold up nearly as well in the corrosion testing as stainless. It wasn't even close. They stuck with Stainless.

thanks that was my gut feeling just needed some confirmation.

J-

Cold Zero
11-14-08, 10:21
Does that mean that the ISMI chrome silicone springs are no better than the stainless steel springs?

markm
11-14-08, 10:32
Does that mean that the ISMI chrome silicone springs are no better than the stainless steel springs?

They're better in spring life for compressions. But they're less resistant to corrosion. (this is my understanding, and I'm not an engineer) I've never had to replace a Stainless spring due to exhaustion. Typically the whole mag is falling appart by that time.

The same goes for CS buffer springs. I don't mind at all changing my Mil spec spring out every 5k or so. I tried a CS spring and it only caused malfs. I'm forever sold on not messing with what ISN'T broke, MAMA! :cool:

Dave L.
11-14-08, 11:05
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are different grades of CS springs.
The CS spring C-Products uses (and probably Brownells) is not the same quality as the ISMI ones.
I personally think the ISMI CS springs are better than GI Stainless however, it's not worth $10 just for the spring.
That said, if I were to buy Brownells mags, I would get them with the GI Stainless ones. They have been going strong for a long time and Uncle Sam sees no reason to switch.

cathellsk
11-14-08, 20:58
Thanks for posting this question. I've been wondering about this too. I bought 20 Brownells 30rd. with the stainless springs the night of the election before they all sold out.

jjc155
11-15-08, 08:08
Thanks for posting this question. I've been wondering about this too. I bought 20 Brownells 30rd. with the stainless springs the night of the election before they all sold out.

Yeah I tried to order mine yesterday (i now shame on me for waiting) any pretty much all their mags are backordered.:mad: waiting to hear back from them when they think they will get more in.

J-