PDA

View Full Version : Sig Sauer Awarded New Contract for 6.8 Weapons Systems.

kyjd75
09-03-19, 12:48
I received this press release from Sig Sauer today around noon.

SIG SAUER Selected by U.S. Army for Next Generation Weapons with New Ammunition Technology, Lightweight Machine Gun, Rifle, and Suppressors
Published Date: 09/03/2019

NEWINGTON, N.H., (September 3, 2019) – SIG SAUER, Inc. is proud to announce the official award of a contract by the U.S. Army in the down-select process for the Next Generation Squad Weapons (NGSW). The award encompasses the complete SIG SAUER system consisting of 6.8mm hybrid ammunition, a lightweight machine gun, rifle, and included suppressors. SIG SAUER will provide single-source manufacturing for ammunition, weapons, and suppressors allowing for less risk and increased capability for the U.S. Army.

“The U.S. Army is leading the world in the first significant upgrade to small arms in decades to meet the growing demands of soldiers on the battlefield. We are honored to have been selected for the Next Generation Squad Weapons program bringing increased lethality to the warfighter over the legacy weapons,” began Ron Cohen, President & CEO, SIG SAUER, Inc. “At the core of our submission is our newly developed, high-pressure, 6.8mm hybrid ammunition that is utilized in both weapons, and is a significant leap forward in ammunition innovation, design, and manufacturing.”

Here is link to the entire release: https://www.sigsauer.com/press-releases/sig-sauer-selected-by-u-s-army-for-next-generation-weapons-with-new-ammunition-technology-lightweight-machine-gun-rifle-and-suppressors/?utm_campaign=NextGenWeapons&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua

Love them or hate them, no one can deny that Sig Sauer is red hot and on quite a roll with government contracts.

WickedWillis
09-03-19, 12:51
It appears Sig continues to hammer out military contracts, this time in the form of the Next Generation Weapons with New Ammunition Technology, Lightweight Machine Gun, Rifle, and Suppressors for the US Army.

https://www.sigsauer.com/press-releases/sig-sauer-selected-by-u-s-army-for-next-generation-weapons-with-new-ammunition-technology-lightweight-machine-gun-rifle-and-suppressors/?utm_campaign=NextGenWeapons&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua

It's interesting to me that they are using yet another 6.8 series round, this time a 6.8mm "Hybrid"
The primary objectives set forth by the U.S. Army for the NGSW-AR was a weapon with the firepower and range of a machine gun, coupled with the precision and ergonomics of a rifle. The SIG SAUER NGSW-AR submission is an ultra-light, medium caliber machine gun with AR ergonomics, and chambered in 6.8mm hybrid ammunition. Features include quick detach magazines, side opening feed tray, increased available 1913 rail space for night vision and enablers, folding buttstock, and suppressor.

Additionally, the Prototype Project Opportunity Notice (PPON) requirements were inclusive of an NGSW-Rifle. The SIG SAUER NGSW-Rifle submission also chambered in 6.8mm hybrid, is lightweight and features a free-floating reinforced M-LOK™ handguard, side-charging handle, fully ambidextrous controls, folding buttstock, and suppressor.

Seems like a continuation of Sig's recent implements of "Complete weapon systems"

What are your guys' thoughts on this?

jpmuscle
09-03-19, 13:02
Lol wut???

Granted it’s a down select.

The single source provider for ammo is what gets me. Like who writes an RFP for that in the first place?

Maybe it’s a great platform? [emoji2373]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MountainRaven
09-03-19, 13:15
I'd bet in the next five to ten years, there will be an investigation that finds multiple people within the DoD and SiG Sauer who are guilty of doing unlawful things to get SiG these contracts.

Not that anyone will go to prison for it. Or probably even lose their jobs.

But that's all just a hunch.

WickedWillis
09-03-19, 13:29
Lol wut???

Granted it’s a down select.

The single source provider for ammo is what gets me. Like who writes an RFP for that in the first place?

Maybe it’s a great platform? [emoji2373]

That's the most surprising thing to me as well.

I'd bet in the next five to ten years, there will be an investigation that finds multiple people within the DoD and SiG Sauer who are guilty of doing unlawful things to get SiG these contracts.

Not that anyone will go to prison for it. Or probably even lose their jobs.

But that's all just a hunch.

After the price cutting on the M17 contract, I can't be shocked that they are in bed with someone

lsllc
09-03-19, 13:38
Looking at the release it sounds like they were selected (to continue the solicitation). They were not adopted. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong. It seems to me they move forward in solicitation.

jpmuscle
09-03-19, 13:52
Looking at the release it sounds like they were selected (to continue the solicitation). They were not adopted. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong. It seems to me they move forward in solicitation.

Yea it’s a down select so it’s in the running.

But if I were .mil I’d think the single ammo provider would be a hell of no go.

BPDKar98k
09-03-19, 14:20
What do you guys think the chances are this new solicitation won't get cancelled like the umpteen weapon upgrade programs that were inevitably shelved in years past?

RHINOWSO
09-03-19, 14:28
What do you guys think the chances are this new solicitation won't get cancelled like the umpteen weapon upgrade programs that were inevitably shelved in years past?
Odds are high, especially considering small arms seem to be one of the first things cut.

I think it'll depend who is in office after the 2020 election, honestly.

This selection is just to continue into the prototype stage, not a huge contract award.

Tspeis
09-03-19, 14:41
Dog and pony show. Sig didn't win, they moved on to the next part of the down select process along with two other companies. Personally, assuming the program doesn't go the way of OICW, my money is on Textron now that they've partnered with Heckler & Koch and Winchester.

Tspeis

the AR-15 Junkie
09-03-19, 14:57
I received this press release from Sig Sauer today around noon.

SIG SAUER Selected by U.S. Army for Next Generation Weapons with New Ammunition Technology, Lightweight Machine Gun, Rifle, and Suppressors
Published Date: 09/03/2019

NEWINGTON, N.H., (September 3, 2019) – SIG SAUER, Inc. is proud to announce the official award of a contract by the U.S. Army in the down-select process for the Next Generation Squad Weapons (NGSW). The award encompasses the complete SIG SAUER system consisting of 6.8mm hybrid ammunition, a lightweight machine gun, rifle, and included suppressors. SIG SAUER will provide single-source manufacturing for ammunition, weapons, and suppressors allowing for less risk and increased capability for the U.S. Army.

“The U.S. Army is leading the world in the first significant upgrade to small arms in decades to meet the growing demands of soldiers on the battlefield. We are honored to have been selected for the Next Generation Squad Weapons program bringing increased lethality to the warfighter over the legacy weapons,” began Ron Cohen, President & CEO, SIG SAUER, Inc. “At the core of our submission is our newly developed, high-pressure, 6.8mm hybrid ammunition that is utilized in both weapons, and is a significant leap forward in ammunition innovation, design, and manufacturing.”

Here is link to the entire release: https://www.sigsauer.com/press-releases/sig-sauer-selected-by-u-s-army-for-next-generation-weapons-with-new-ammunition-technology-lightweight-machine-gun-rifle-and-suppressors/?utm_campaign=NextGenWeapons&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua

Love them or hate them, no one can deny that Sig Sauer is red hot and on quite a roll with government contracts.

I recently purchased 2 Sigs, a 716 Gen 2 Patrol 308 and a MCX Virtus 300BO 9" pistol. Both are immaculate and shoot flawlessly, I am in the Love them camp. But when it comes to pistols, NO thanks Sig, I am a Glock Lover.

JediGuy
09-03-19, 18:14
Ammunition bit is cool. Would like to see how it works, etc.

Other than that, just another piston AR.

But back to ammo, I would imagine that “sole source” item is just there as a bargaining chip for later. Not versed in federal contracts, though.

lsllc
09-03-19, 18:56
Yeah as long as lake city exists...

ginge
09-03-19, 19:32
I found this on the ammo. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190904/a784ca5f9e28bf45a342117a951488e8.jpg

“The 6.8mm Next Generation ammo needs to have the velocity to penetrate body armor; this is one of the requirements from the army. Cohen feels this ammo could change the path of firearms, because it’ll allow for new platforms of weapons. Having seen it first hand, we believe the new hybrid technology is a truly significant development in ammunition design and, by extension, what firearms will be capable of. SIG opted for a bi-metallic, multi-piece case instead of a telescoping polymer case. During testing, SIG learned that it’s difficult for polymer rounds to keep high pressures. As of December 2018, SIG has demonstrated at two separate locations for the U.S. Army the 6.8mm Hybrid ammo shot from a 16-inch barrel at 3,000 feet per second.”

“One of the many benefits of SIG’s Hybrid ammo is that it can be used in legacy firearms. For the regular consumer, this translates to access to high-pressure, high-velocity rounds in the future that we can use in the guns we already own. For competitors, Lindsay Bunch, of the Strategic Weapons Group, likens the increased performance of the hybrid ammo to getting 24-inch bolt gun velocity in a 16-inch gas gun. That capability would be a huge competitive and hunting advantage. To learn more about NGSW, go to the Federal Business Opportunities website, www.fbo.gov, and search for solicitation number W15QKN19Z042P.”

Full article source
https://www.recoilweb.com/sig-sauers-secret-sauce-to-winning-146832.html

Hard to say what will come of it. We know what happened with the xm8 and G11.

drtywk
09-03-19, 20:08
The ammunition is what is driving this bus, due to the near peer threat, and it should reach milestone C and then on to full rate production. As said above, this was a down select to three vendors, Textron, General Dynamics and Sig. Also take notice that FN is not on this list.

As far as the press release goes, somebody in Sig's PR/marketing department took some real creative liberties. Sig definitely has the capability to be the single source provider for both weapons systems and the ammunition, but this makes procurement officers cringe. I completely agree that Textron should be the front runner in this, with General Dynamics in the hunt. This is a program to watch because it has the support of a lot of people in the Pentagon.

jpmuscle
09-03-19, 20:17
I found this on the ammo. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190904/a784ca5f9e28bf45a342117a951488e8.jpg

“The 6.8mm Next Generation ammo needs to have the velocity to penetrate body armor; this is one of the requirements from the army. Cohen feels this ammo could change the path of firearms, because it’ll allow for new platforms of weapons. Having seen it first hand, we believe the new hybrid technology is a truly significant development in ammunition design and, by extension, what firearms will be capable of. SIG opted for a bi-metallic, multi-piece case instead of a telescoping polymer case. During testing, SIG learned that it’s difficult for polymer rounds to keep high pressures. As of December 2018, SIG has demonstrated at two separate locations for the U.S. Army the 6.8mm Hybrid ammo shot from a 16-inch barrel at 3,000 feet per second.”

“One of the many benefits of SIG’s Hybrid ammo is that it can be used in legacy firearms. For the regular consumer, this translates to access to high-pressure, high-velocity rounds in the future that we can use in the guns we already own. For competitors, Lindsay Bunch, of the Strategic Weapons Group, likens the increased performance of the hybrid ammo to getting 24-inch bolt gun velocity in a 16-inch gas gun. That capability would be a huge competitive and hunting advantage. To learn more about NGSW, go to the Federal Business Opportunities website, www.fbo.gov, and search for solicitation number W15QKN19Z042P.”

Full article source

Which all sounds awesome for us the civilian consumers.

Until it’s banned [emoji849]

ginge
09-03-19, 20:22

Yup.

MorphCross
09-03-19, 21:07

None of us, outside of a crate that "fell off an ammo truck," would get to shoot the tungsten core ammunition that would be going hand in hand with the new 6.8.

Pretending it will happen is a fool's bet.

jpmuscle
09-03-19, 21:09
Also, the .mil wants telescopic ammunition ultimately yes? Only nobody has been able to do it successfully yet correct?

MorphCross
09-03-19, 21:17
If any company has the capital to chase that tiger it would be Winchester-Olin in partnership with Textron.

09-03-19, 22:16

Full article source

Didn’t they say they wanted that sort of performance in a 13”, not 16” barrel?

ginge
09-03-19, 22:42
Didn’t they say they wanted that sort of performance in a 13”, not 16” barrel?

Could have.
Theres no telling what they’ll actually settle on.

ginge
09-03-19, 22:44
None of us, outside of a crate that "fell off an ammo truck," would get to shoot the tungsten core ammunition that would be going hand in hand with the new 6.8.

Pretending it will happen is a fool's bet.

Its nice to dream. Lol

Furbyballer
09-04-19, 09:00
If any company has the capital to chase that tiger it would be Winchester-Olin in partnership with Textron.

I can't see how Sig or TX has more juice than General Dynamics. if they want to win this contract they will win this contract. Its that simple. I can't remember the last time a company this big jumped into the small arms acquisition side of the .mil contracts.

krm375
09-04-19, 17:09
Sig has some some players in the Strategic Weapons Group. Looking forward to what else they can come up with.

JediGuy
09-04-19, 19:39
General Dynamics is a behemoth, obviously. They make warships and fighter planes. But they don’t always get those contracts, either.

A little division of Fairchild came up with the Armalite Rifle, though they had to sell it to Colt before it got adopted.
I don’t think it makes sense to count Sig out yet. I’m not rooting for them in particular, just looking at it from that angle.

BoringGuy45
09-05-19, 10:30
Those rounds are enormous! So, we're basically supposed to be changing from 5.56 NATO to 6.8mm Magnum?? This is moronic. If they're worried about armor piercing and "stopping power", go back to the 7.62 NATO or switch everything to 6.5 Creedmore. My thought is that this is designed to fail in order to justify budgets, but with no intention of bringing any new technology onboard. It's like the OICW: Nobody REALLY thought we were going to equip hundreds of thousands of combat troops with $35,000, massive, 20 pound rifles.