PDA

View Full Version : Shooting habits that bug you

Ron3
09-06-19, 11:33
I isn't perfect.
But, there are some shooting habits people I sometimes shoot with have that bug me. I try to politely help them, and they often try, but just cant quit the habit.

1. Riding recoil when firing low-recoil guns. I can't understand this one. They'll shoot say, a 9mm, and rather than control the recoil they just let it ride up. So much so it looks like they are faking recoil. Weird.

2. No follow-through. The instant the shot breaks (just before?) They are already looking over or around the gun to see where the bullet went.

3. Can't square up. (Rifle) They want to blade. Even with a short stock rifle. (11 in LOP) One funny moment occurred when I turned the shooters body by the shoulders. He moved his feet so now he he had the same posture but was now pointing the rifle 30 degrees off target. Then he says, "see, I cant shoot that way."

It was funnier because he wanted to get it, just couldn't.

4. Showing up, THEN start lubricating (IF they lube their handguns) and loading magazines.

5. No speed/assist loaders for mags. (Maglula, etc.) So I'll let kill their thumbs a bit and download mags before I pity them and loan them mine. "Buy shooting accessories and ammo? But I'm saving up for another gun!"

Yours?

Firefly
09-06-19, 11:45
Bringing some chick and giving her a shotgun with high brass.

I can overlook a lot but thats just dangerous, humiliating, and obnoxious.

I would almost rather that they simply catch her off guard in the parking lot and push her over on her ass. It'd be safer and cheaper.

And on the other emd of that spectrum....you are taking some chick shooting. She fully understands what shooting entails. Nothing is a surprise. Then she gets with a .22 and doubled ear pro and she wants to shoot, yelp as loud as she can, drop the gun, and bury her face in your chest.

No...its not cute. No...its not girly. It's a waste of precious range time. We coulda saved the trip and money and simply fornicated.

Same with wanting me to be all clinged up on you to shoot a .22. It's gay. Super gay. I find being lurched over a girl, and helpimg her hold a gun extended as she wiggles up on me to be gay. Please dont sully my range time.

Those two I can live without. I dont do range dates anymore unless she has a shooting history, her own gear, and has passed the written test.

Arik
09-06-19, 11:49
I isn't perfect.
But, there are some shooting habits people I sometimes shoot with have that bug me. I try to politely help them, and they often try, but just cant quit the habit.

1. Riding recoil when firing low-recoil guns. I can't understand this one. They'll shoot say, a 9mm, and rather than control the recoil they just let it ride up. So much so it looks like they are faking recoil. Weird.

2. No follow-through. The instant the shot breaks (just before?) They are already looking over or around the gun to see where the bullet went.

3. Can't square up. (Rifle) They want to blade. Even with a short stock rifle. (11 in LOP) One funny moment occurred when I turned the shooters body by the shoulders. He moved his feet so now he he had the same posture but was now pointing the rifle 30 degrees off target. Then he says, "see, I cant shoot that way."

It was funnier because he wanted to get it, just couldn't.

4. Showing up, THEN start lubricating (IF they lube their handguns) and loading magazines.

5. No speed/assist loaders for mags. (Maglula, etc.) So I'll let kill their thumbs a bit and download mags before I pity them and loan them mine. "Buy shooting accessories and ammo? But I'm saving up for another gun!"

Yours?

1) Seen in movies. Good guy shoots and the handgun rises till the elbow is bent and the gun is by the head pointing up. Usually done as a one shot stop. Like the teacup hold that people still do.

2) Typical range shooter isn't interested in follow through. They're interested in accuracy, making as small a group as possible. Go on 99% of gun forums and you'll see the quality of the gun judged by how small a group it can shoot.

3) Old habits die hard. It's still seen in movies and older guys at the range.

4) So what? Their time/money

5) So what? Their time/money. I do it occasionally. Doesn't really bother my thumb. More important question is why bring a mag loader when you should have loaded them at home while watching TV. Last few classes I went to I loaded a dozen mags without a mag loader....no issues

The only habits that bother me is when someone is being dangerously unsafe. Im not a teacher, only there to shoot. People can do whatever pleases them as long as the gun is pointing down range. Hell, I see people at the range who only seem to socialize. Like they were going to a bar and made a wrong turn. Still, more power to them as it has nothing to do with me

Ron3
09-06-19, 11:50

I would almost rather that they simply catch her off guard in the parking lot and push her over on her ass. It'd be safer and cheaper.

Yea, I would NOT let a guy do that do a woman or kid. It isnt cool or funny. Good for you.

ST911
09-06-19, 11:56
Tactical apathy. I try to mind my own business unless it's someone I'm either responsible for, has asked for my input, is about to be physically harmed, or is costing me time/money.

Ron3
09-06-19, 11:59
1)

4) So what? Their time/money

5) So what? Their time/money. I do it occasionally. Doesn't really bother my thumb. More important question is why bring a mag loader when you should have loaded them at home while watching TV. Last few classes I went to I loaded a dozen mags without a mag loader....no issues

It's my time too when I'm the member, they the guest, and we are staying only until X O'clock because it's hot as hell.

But otherwise, yes, I'll just shoot while they load mags, spray guns with oil (?) Etc.

Like you I'm definitely saving time and sweat loading mags at home.

Not only do I have the Lula for them, but I have about two dozen magazines. For Beretta .25's. :)

Ron3
09-06-19, 12:00
Tactical apathy. I try to mind my own business unless it's someone I'm either responsible for, has asked for my input, is about to be physically harmed, or is costing me time/money.

New phrase to me, I like it.

Alex V
09-06-19, 12:19
I'm with ST911, unless it effects me like someone flagging me with their gun, I will keep an eye on things but ignore their stupidity.

I isn't perfect.

Yours?

A lot of out of state instructors who come to NJ would get pissed at this one. Then we had to explain to them that driving to the range with loaded mags would be the same as driving with a loaded guns and you couldn't do that in New Jermany.

Uni-Vibe
09-06-19, 12:36
Both men and women face the target feet close together, upper body leaning back away from the handgun, arms limply forward.

I sometimes show them the basic Weaver and how to shift their weight to the front leg, etc. Invariably they think it's better and start hitting th e paper at least.

MegademiC
09-06-19, 12:49
Dramatic movements to look tactical but just cause inefficiency.
Guys who have no clue “correcting” someone doing stuff right, or at least better than they are.
Ive had guys tell me how to “get better” and it was the opposite of what you should do.

I load with my bare hands. It doesnt hurt and is just as fast or close to it as my loader.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-06-19, 13:17
Handling guns behind the line, touching a gun with people down range- usually it is fiddling with a scope, or taking it offline- but no means no touch.

A HOLES THAT DRILL HOLES IN RANGE STEEL... special place in hell.

There is an indoor range where the fee is for unlimited time, rather than by the 1/2 hour. If the lanes fill up before you get there at 10, you might as well wait till after lunch as everyone leisurely shoots, comes out and has a coke...

People that come over and want to tell me about my guns. I like jawing it at the range just fine, but I don't need someone playing Ian from "In Range" with guns I own. Ask me as many questions as you want, just don't tell me what I also read online.

Arguing with your kid, oh wait, that's me.... ;)

Using a braked centerfire rifle under cover, next to me.. oh wait, me again..

I do have a 22lr loader for my MP-15-22 and MP9-22. What a transformaiton. I have a 'milker' loader for pistol mags, mainly just reduces dings to your fingers. Frankly, making me load AR mags by hand is the only thing that keeps me from going broke.

26 Inf
09-06-19, 13:17
I feel for you guys that have to put up with crowded public ranges or smallish 'lanes' and shooting with folks you don't know.

Our gun club keeps it's membership low, 400 members, so generally I can always find a bay/range to use without the company of others - I prefer to practice alone. If people are with me I'm generally in a teaching/mentoring mode. If I'm on a range/area that I have to share (action pistol falling plate bay, plinking or benchrest range) I simply go to another area if someone shows up. A pleasant 'Hey, I'm done here, give me time to gather my gear and I'll be out of your way' and I'm off.

Here is the map: you can enlarge it to get pretty good detail. We have a plinking range (canopy on North side of 200 yard line) and a benchrest range (smallish canopy to the South of the 200 yard line) which you have to share if someone else shows up, beyond that it is pretty much first come first served. You can shut down the entire South side of the range to practice at 600 yards if you get there before anyone occupies the trap/skeet, plinking or benchrest ranges and nothing is scheduled on the range calendar.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.1427454,-97.9007281,373m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en-US

Ahhh, Kansas. We may be hicks, but we get to shoot.

As for this:

You need to be able to 'splain by the numbers:

A) Why and when we use this stance

1) Feet, knees, shoulders and hips square into the threat/target;

2) Strong foot slightly to rear;

3) Slight bend at the knees and waist;

4) Head erect, stock mounted as high and close to centerline of body as possible.

Then demo the stance by the numbers w/o weapons and have them get into the stance w/o weapon. Ron Avery does a hell of a job teaching it on a video I watched by equating it to sports you've played - a shortstop alert for the hit.

Then demo the stance with weapon properly mounted, then coach them into the proper position.

If you wanna teach, be ready to teach!

flenna
09-06-19, 13:19
1. Cup and saucer handgun grip.
2. Lack of muzzle awareness.

chuckman
09-06-19, 13:29
Not shooting habit, but rather range etiquette: One shot. Put gun down. Take ear pro off. Converse with buddy. Want to go downrange to look at target. Have sip of coke. Converse. Ear pro back on. Take 3 minutes to get in shooting stance. Fire next shot, rinse and repeat.

As long as someone isn't being dangerous though I really don't pay much attention to their shooting.

Hmac
09-06-19, 13:40
I am insufficiently arrogant to offer shooting advice to anyone unless they ask, or unless they're endangering me in some way.

26 Inf
09-06-19, 13:53
I am insufficiently arrogant to offer shooting advice to anyone unless they ask, or unless they're endangering me in some way.

If you are referring to my response, yep, I was assuming they asked or were there for that purpose.

RMiller
09-06-19, 13:59
Handling a gun like you're trying to hide it.

Run it like you mean it.

mark5pt56
09-06-19, 14:18
Kind of like folks everywhere, yip yapping about crap that doesn't matter and bothering me. Being unsafe of course and having kids (or beginners) shoot guns they shouldn't be shooting, at least not yet.

Ron3
09-06-19, 14:34
If you are referring to my response, yep, I was assuming they asked or were there for that purpose.

C'mon, when it's your friends and family you want them to shoot better. At least as good as yourself.

Ron3
09-06-19, 14:48
I do have a 22lr loader for my MP-15-22 and MP9-22. What a transformaiton. I have a 'milker' loader for pistol mags, mainly just reduces dings to your fingers. Frankly, making me load AR mags by hand is the only thing that keeps me from going broke.

Well, I can see that.

Then again, I recall a relative who brought a Taurus. 22 mag revolver with a very long barrel (8 inch). He was having a good time with it then dismayed when he ran out of ammo. I said, "You didn't shoot that much". "I only brought two boxes" he says. I said, "I remember you saying you had about 900 rds for it." "Yea, I wanted to save some of it."

This guy shoots a couple times a year and has about 50 guns. He got the ammo in a trade because he never buys that much ammo. At the time he only shot 100-200 rds per year.

That's just kinda weird to me. Sell guns, buy ammo, shoot it.

Hmac
09-06-19, 16:24

No, I didn't see your post.

duece71
09-06-19, 16:36
That annoying hammer cocking sound when I fire my Glocks.
The sting of hot brass hitting me from the booth next door.
Seeing some douche trying to teach a pretty lady how to shoot but gets it all wrong.
Support hand thumb crossing over the back of the firing grip hand. “Why is this thing jamming?”

FlyAndFight
09-06-19, 16:39
1. Cup and saucer handgun grip.
2. Lack of muzzle awareness.

Yes! Especially the second one.

Coal Dragger
09-06-19, 17:19
I don’t care about anything other than safety violations and people trying to talk to me.

Arik
09-06-19, 17:54
Ok I actually do have a slight issue with one thing. It's very very rare but it happened not long ago. I get the last open bay, 2nd to last from the wall, which is fine, but I'm next to two guys with two dozen mags, a 1000 rounds of ammo and a full auto Browning B.A.R! It was kinda awesome but after a while the full auto 30-06 was getting a little annoying

flenna
09-06-19, 18:04
Ok I actually do have a slight issue with one thing. It's very very rare but it happened not long ago. I get the last open bay, 2nd to last from the wall, which is fine, but I'm next to two guys with two dozen mags, a 1000 rounds of ammo and a full auto Browning B.A.R! It was kinda awesome but after a while the full auto 30-06 was getting a little annoying

I know I would have been very pissed off....if they didn't invite me over to crank off a few magazines

Arik
09-06-19, 18:25
I know I would have been very pissed off....if they didn't invite me over to crank off a few magazinesI tried not to be obviously noisy nor bother people so i complimented them on a fine piece of historical hardware. They were nice, thanked me but no invite! Too bad, I was with my cousin, who's new to shooting and would have loved for him to take a few shots even if it was 5 rounds

sgtrock82
09-06-19, 18:40
My list of self righteous indignation

-Folks not understanding that "line is clear/cold/safe" means and no touching firearms. Of course now this has recently morphed into someones thinking the loading of any magazines or clips during this time to also be unsafe. I havent heard it from any official channel yet, so I thumb my nose at it

-Going to the range without a target? Not merely forgetting but letting the universe decide what will be your target of the day...

-Sighting in huntin rafles and needing a clear after each shot.

-Acting like your 25yd AR zero is going to be waays off paper at 100yd, so of course your working up to it slowly.

-Complaining about $300 scope on a $1500 rifle.... all under the shadow of a $70k bro dozer.

-The bring girls shooting thing. Not the act itself but the stupidity that typically ensues in this situation which has been touched on already. Seems plenty of goobers find an excuse to mosey on over and offer advice/sneak a peek too

Of course I cant say for sure but I feel like alot of the women Ive seen taken to the range come away with very little, mostly because their "instructors" seem to barely be conversant in the operation of the firearms present let alone able to instruct or even shoot.

My hats off to those that can instruct. Not everyone is born to instruct. Most of the women Ive seen at the range seem quite willing and eager to learn but are let down by people who arent quite aware of what they dont know or how to relate things they learned decades ago (often informally)or just presently take for granted.

Its definitely a challenge to get someone to properly hold a rifle that didnt spend their formative years shouldering every half bent stick like object they came across.

And just about NOBODY can hold a pistol effectively(present company excepted) which makes these type of sessions on the pistol range quite interesting. Last one of these I witnessed, a 30ish woman of slender build with her giant bear like dad who stepped straight from the tatter pages of the 1981 shooting digest. Dad, being a man, only had 2 choices available. The colt woodsman or the 6" .44 mag. Cups of tea for all of course. Better than nothing I suppose.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

sgtrock82
09-06-19, 18:50
Ok I actually do have a slight issue with one thing. It's very very rare but it happened not long ago. I get the last open bay, 2nd to last from the wall, which is fine, but I'm next to two guys with two dozen mags, a 1000 rounds of ammo and a full auto Browning B.A.R! It was kinda awesome but after a while the full auto 30-06 was getting a little annoyingCornering you with a BAR at the range, with such an abundance of ammo, and not offering at least a trigger squeeze should be in violations. But Im not sure which governing body to refer you too in this instance lol

Mmmmmmm BAR , it should be on one of those whitenoise sleeping aid apps. Id rock it

markm
09-06-19, 18:54
The "chicken wing" rifle stance is annoying.

I can't stand shooting at a public range anymore. We're not arrogant pricks by any stretch, but there's some real genetic waste at the public ranges.

We'll help guys with hunting/scope issues if they're receptive. As far as polishing operators... nah.

Arik
09-06-19, 18:57
Cornering you with a BAR at the range, with such an abundance of ammo, and not offering at least a trigger squeeze should be in violations. But Im not sure which governing body to refer you too in this instance lol

Mmmmmmm BAR , it should be on one of those whitenoise sleeping aid apps. Id rock it

Sent from my SM-J727T using TapatalkWas at Clayton's

sgtrock82
09-06-19, 19:33
Was at Clayton'sOoooff! Wow... that changes things lol

I cant fathom shooting such a beast indoors and calling it fun but around here there is no where else to shoot it all. If only Twin S was still open.... (tear)

Ron3
09-06-19, 19:59
The "chicken wing" rifle stance is annoying.

Yea, that's a good one. Especially when it's something with a fairly vertical grip on it.

titsonritz
09-06-19, 20:09
Pulling the trigger to make sure the chamber is empty.

Straight Shooter
09-06-19, 21:39
Coming to a match with shitty reloads that malf every other round.
Using 2-3 boxes of cheapest ammo in Wally World to "sight in for deer season''...year..after year.
Using 7mm Mags & other cannons for a 100-150lb whitetail deer.
The phrase "Going Hot!". SO douchey.
Someone literally holding a new firearm..shooting 2-3 rounds thru it..then pronouncing it "a good un" or "shoots good".
Hip shooting.
Cocking a DA revolver in a SD situation.
Literally calling every semi pistol "a Glock".
Hornady ammo.
Aftermarket Glock triggers & 99% of the rest of the aftermarket crap.
AR's set up for SD/SHTF/LE ect. use that dont have back up irons.
The word Tactical..I HATE the word.
Women buying a gun because "its cute".
Buying a gun for self defense & not getting competent training immediately after..if ever.
Thinking that just because someone was " in the military" they know all about guns & shooting. Same for cops.
That aint all, but its enough.

SteyrAUG
09-06-19, 22:28
Guys who do the "robot" when extending or retracting their handgun.

Just shoot fer ****s sake, stop voguing. Even gayer when they mechanically scan left to right. Just check like a normal person, it's not a mime contest.

Diamondback
09-06-19, 22:55
Just to be contrary: People who can't understand that some of us are UNABLE to form proper shoulder pockets for one reason or another and thus have to use "improvised" stances, which may mean blading or chicken-winging. Not all of us have Plate Carriers, in which case blading does make for a narrower (admittedly not by much in the case of us Five-By-Fives) target profile.

Do what gets results for you, and let me do what gets results for me--this ain't a "One Size Fits All" business. :) Maybe someday I'll get down to 175# again and my UT mass will redistribute on my frame in a manner more conducive to "pocketing," but until then I gotta make the rifle work with the body I HAVE rather than the one I WANT.

Firefly
09-06-19, 23:24
Oh boy I'd piss some of youse off.

I almost exclusively chickenwing my retrogats and my M1 Garand.
I'm a long drink of water. I wanna be comfy.

Also me and an acquaintce may have hypothetically shot a deer with a Barrett once. It was like a vidya gaem. I was like hoolee cheet. He was in season screw him.
Also all I buy or collect now is Hornady Critical Ammo.

Also...I went with a former F buddy who did in fact buy a HK 2000 because "It looked cute" according to her. (plus she was a Jack Bauer fangirl and wrote some....colorful....JB fan fiction)

Also part of me wants to buy the Jew FAL from DSA to go hogging with despite like...not being into FALs no more. Or shit, use it like a normie deer rifle. I dunno it looks cool. Hmm...

But yeah. :)

Diamondback
09-06-19, 23:29
Also part of me wants to buy the Jew FAL from DSA to go hogging with despite like...not being into FALs no more. Or shit, use it like a normie deer rifle. I dunno it looks cool. Hmm...

But yeah. :)
I hear ya, man, I wish there were a domestic source for inch-pattern FAL receivers and parts so I could build a C1A1 clone for the GF's dad to relive his former glory-days with.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-07-19, 00:03
-Folks not understanding that "line is clear/cold/safe" means and no touching firearms. Of course now this has recently morphed into someones thinking the loading of any magazines or clips during this time to also be unsafe. I havent heard it from any official channel yet, so I thumb my nose at it

Some manned ranges are like that. I get it. At the very least I load the mags while away from the line

Hornady ammo.

?
Although, I dd have their Superperformance pop a primer in my MWS. Not the hero of the range when the cup locks up the action and you are alternating mortaring the rifle and cursing...

And people who shoot your steel, only later to admit that they didn't realize it was 22lr only, and they shot it with 223. Yes, I can shoot a 3 inch spinner at 200 yards with a 22.

26 Inf
09-07-19, 00:17
Just to be contrary: Not all of us have Plate Carriers, in which case blading does make for a narrower (admittedly not by much in the case of us Five-By-Fives) target profile

Being contrary right back at ya: Riddle me this - would you rather take a round the goes straight into the chest, pretty much blowing up one lung, or one that comes in through the arm-pit area and merrily traverses the chest cavity wrecking havoc with several organs?

Seriously, it is an issue, roughly 40% of the officers killed while wearing vests have been killed by shots that went between the side panels or arm hole area of the vest - so rounds do hit that area when you are bladed out. (That data had been good for at least a decade when I retired in 2016 and quit crunching the numbers each year)

SteyrAUG
09-07-19, 00:34
Being contrary right back at ya: Riddle me this - would you rather take a round the goes straight into the chest, pretty much blowing up one lung, or one that comes in through the arm-pit area and merrily traverses the chest cavity wrecking havoc with several organs?

Seriously, it is an issue, roughly 40% of the officers killed while wearing vests have been killed by shots that went between the side panels or arm hole area of the vest - so rounds do hit that area when you are bladed out. (That data had been good for at least a decade when I retired in 2016 and quit crunching the numbers each year)

I think you are screwed no matter what if you take torso hits. It's mostly a matter of how do you want to finish dying.

So I advocate you use the shooting position that makes you most efficient in terms of speed and accuracy. If that's Iso then use Iso, if that's weaver then use weaver. If switching from one to the other makes you more efficient, do that.

I blade about 45 degrees because I have shot that way for 40 years, it would probably take me 20 years to learn to undo it and become more efficient squared up. And I'd probably get into a gunfight and die during that 20 years.

If I'm wearing body armor I'll remember to apply special conditions.

I wouldn't recommend anyone who shoots squared up to scrap 20 years of training if some "new, newer" method came out tomorrow that became the official Jesus method.

Of course in reality, if I'm in a gunfight, I'm probably gonna be slant prone behind a dumpster so bladed / non bladed ain't gonna mean anything. Also before people get hung up on square vs. bladed, they probably need to spend more time thinking about "shoot" MOVE "shoot."

Coal Dragger
09-07-19, 00:52
If you’re target shooting standing offhand most people will get their best on target results with a bladed stance because it takes advantage of body mechanics. You don’t see dudes at Camp Perry shooting 90%+ scores on the 200M standing shooting squared up like tactical Timmy.

So use the appropriate standing stance for your situation.

AKDoug
09-07-19, 01:25
If you’re target shooting standing offhand most people will get their best on target results with a bladed stance because it takes advantage of body mechanics. You don’t see dudes at Camp Perry shooting 90%+ scores on the 200M standing shooting squared up like tactical Timmy.

So use the appropriate standing stance for your situation. No kidding. I've shot my AR so much that I squared up and fired my .375 H&H the other night.. ouch. Bladed is far easier for me with a big caliber rifle.

SteyrAUG
09-07-19, 02:20
No kidding. I've shot my AR so much that I squared up and fired my .375 H&H the other night.. ouch. Bladed is far easier for me with a big caliber rifle.

I think another factor is those of us who grew up shooting HK91s, FALs and 20" ARs bladed because it was a longer rifle. If I'm shooting a Vz61 I'm probably going to hold it differently. Everyone seems to want to apply their experience to everything and everyone in a "one size fits all" answer. But the world doesn't work that way.

There are people who actually can't shoot a carry handle mounted scoped AR. I grew up doing it so it's easy for me despite the higher offset. My way isn't better or worse, it's just what I have experience doing. I actually have difficulty shooting micro dots on M4 rails, it "seems" way too low for me, but everyone who grew up with that setup...it's normal.

Firefly
09-07-19, 02:40
OMG if we aren't stacked up and finna ruin someone's day then why do you care how someone holds a gun?

I know of a guy in his 70s who still chicken wings his A1 rifle and he's likely killed more VC than anyone (to my knowledge) actively posting here. YOU tell him how wrong he is.

And 1. I doubt I will see 70. Beginning to wonder if I'll see 50 the way I live and 2. A guy still willing to go shoot his stuff at that age is free to do however he pleases

Diamondback
09-07-19, 02:56
Frankly, if I'm not running and trying to break contact, I've already written my own ass off because I'm either cornered and winning means dragging the vermin kicking and screaming to Hell with me so they can't harm anyone else, or my loved ones/someone I've chosen to stand and fight for are on the other side of me and winning means dragging the vermin kicking and screaming to Hell with me before they can harm those I'm protecting.

I hope to God that day never comes, but it's a probability I lived with every day for two years of my life and I won that game by convincing the other guy that his ex (now our mutual ex) wasn't worth going down with me for, Cold War-vintage MAD applied on the personal level.

Firefly
09-07-19, 03:04
Frankly, if I'm not running and trying to break contact, I've already written my own ass off because I'm either cornered and winning means dragging the vermin kicking and screaming to Hell with me so they can't harm anyone else, or my loved ones/someone I've chosen to stand and fight for are on the other side of me and winning means dragging the vermin kicking and screaming to Hell with me before they can harm those I'm protecting.

I hope to God that day never comes, but it's a probability I lived with every day for two years of my life and I won that game by convincing the other guy that his ex (now our mutual ex) wasn't worth going down with me for, Cold War-vintage MAD applied on the personal level.

wow...thats extreme.

I will say this....I aint fighting no other man for a woman.

Diamondback
09-07-19, 03:27
wow...thats extreme.

I will say this....I aint fighting no other man for a woman.
George Patton used to expound on having a similar mindset, and a college labmate from Japan used to jokingly call me "Gaijin Samurai."

It was business (well, mostly) at that point and that first year on her payroll--Executive Protection, occupational hazard. I had my time in the line of duty, such as it was, and now I'm content to leave it to those better trained and better physically and psychologically suited to the task as much as I can, but at that time there was nobody else stepping up to the plate and there was that little voice in the back of the head, pull in the gut, sense of calling, whatever you call it. The experience played a big role in developing some of my better personality traits, too, to the point that I daresay I wouldn't have become the man I am without having had it to force me into the responsibilities of adulthood.

"Winning" still means, "everybody goes our separate ways with no more holes than we came in with." :)

Ron3
09-07-19, 08:52
Pulling the trigger to make sure the chamber is empty.

Yes! Some guys I'm waiting to hear the "I had an oopsie" story.

markm
09-07-19, 09:05
Yea, that's a good one. Especially when it's something with a fairly vertical grip on it.

Yep... and gripping the VFG like they're choking their chicken.

THCDDM4
09-07-19, 09:06
My only real peeves are the people who don’t have good safety/discipline with where they point the dang gun and “that guy” that is critiquing everyone as if they are the end all be all of shooters, their way is the best, anything different is wrong “I saw it on a video on YouTube from an operator”- guy.

And the people who aren’t friendly to others at the range, act elite and that sort of nonsense.

As some of you may know it is my goal to “take a liberal shooting” every month.

It’s been working pretty well and I’ve got some folks to leave the dark side.

Whenever there is the “elite” dickhead at the range, it rubs them the wrong way; I’m sure you guys know the attitude. Full sleeve of tats- please everyone look at me, hear what aim saying while I put every other shooter down talking to my buddy...

Another of my least favorite is the guy that comes over to look at one of my DD’s says “nice rifle” but the AK is a better overall rifle for war... All the while they have a cheap PSA AK that has FTE’d, FTF’d and given them nothing but problems getting anything smaller than a frisbee spread at 15 feet...

It’s annoying.

Here’s who I like:

Anyone and everyone that is respectful of others at the range, acts safely and has good discipline. Is just there to have fun and shoot the gun.

I don’t care of the blade out, chicken wing, lean back, etc. a good range officer will provide minimal instruction in a respectful and affective way to those folks and the ones at my range do.

markm
09-07-19, 09:07
The woman shooter LEAN BACK, STANDING position is painful too. You know? When the boyfriend hands the chick a pistol or rifle and they take that lean way back stance and one eye the sights.

BITCH! Lean forward!!

Firefly
09-07-19, 09:46
The woman shooter LEAN BACK, STANDING position is painful too. You know? When the boyfriend hands the chick a pistol or rifle and they take that lean way back stance and one eye the sights.

BITCH! Lean forward!!

Actually, its not uncomfortable for them. they have a lower center of gravity and the chick lean is natural because thats how they carry children. It's not good for shooting but it feels more natural for them

maximus83
09-07-19, 10:32
Also me and an acquaintce may have hypothetically shot a deer with a Barrett once. It was like a vidya gaem. I was like hoolee cheet. He was in season screw him.

Just shoot fer ****s sake, stop voguing. Even gayer when they mechanically scan left to right. Just check like a normal person, it's not a mime contest.

Have read a few zingers that were capable of inducing drink sprays in the last week. These 2 are the best. :sarcastic:

26 Inf
09-07-19, 12:43
You don’t see dudes at Camp Perry shooting 90%+ scores on the 200M standing shooting squared up like tactical Timmy.

So that's what's wrong....I swear I shot better with the POS M-14 the Marine's gave me to qual with at Edson Range than I do with my WOA Service Rifle and a fancy jacket.

I ass-u-med he was talking CQB tactics.

Artos
09-07-19, 13:26
Brother, I would hope that isn't a bad habit vs simply being deliberate tool in every single case...now I'm sneaking up on 50 but easing a kid / new shooter during firearm introduction starting with rimfire to small centerfire & up is something I bet they even teach in hunting safety classes today?? Long time ago stopped a couple Dad's after chatting at the range where the boys were sighting in to shoot their first deer or hog with a 308 & come to find shot nothing but rimfire to date. Let them shoot my vssf swift & the kiddos were all smiles & told Dads they need to go back or borrow some calibers as a 60-70lb kid isn't gonna enjoy the 308 & possibly a scope dink.

The rest of my irks are hunting / safety related....I'm in the field more than the range these days.

And on the other emd of that spectrum....you are taking some chick shooting. She fully understands what shooting entails. Nothing is a surprise. Then she gets with a .22 and doubled ear pro and she wants to shoot, yelp as loud as she can, drop the gun, and bury her face in your chest.

No...its not cute. No...its not girly. It's a waste of precious range time. We coulda saved the trip and money and simply fornicated.

Same with wanting me to be all clinged up on you to shoot a .22. It's gay. Super gay. I find being lurched over a girl, and helpimg her hold a gun extended as she wiggles up on me to be gay. Please dont sully my range time.

Those two I can live without. I dont do range dates anymore unless she has a shooting history, her own gear, and has passed the written test.

Coal Dragger
09-07-19, 13:35
So that's what's wrong....I swear I shot better with the POS M-14 the Marine's gave me to qual with at Edson Range than I do with my WOA Service Rifle and a fancy jacket.

I ass-u-med he was talking CQB tactics.

We should see if Creedmoor Sports will make a special heavy leather shooting jacket for Tactical Timmy to shoot standing offhand with a squared up stance.

It would probably sell like hot cakes.

markm
09-07-19, 14:23
Actually, its not uncomfortable for them. they have a lower center of gravity and the chick lean is natural because thats how they carry children. It's not good for shooting but it feels more natural for them

Makes sense... because it seems like every woman does that.

JoshNC
09-07-19, 18:57
Unsafe firearm handling. Everything else falls into the mind your own business category, unless someone asks for help.

AndyLate
09-07-19, 22:35
The folks who bring friends/family to shoot and don't have ear pro for them. I pass out foam earplugs and tell folks how to insert them, whether I am asked or not.

Andy

m1a_scoutguy
09-07-19, 23:31
I am pretty lucky being a member at a Private Range, just show up anytime from 9 am on weekdays through Saturday and 11 am or later on Sunday and you can shoot outside till sundown, inside you can shoot 24/7! With that said I don't run into many blockheads but there are a few. Biggest is a finger on the trigger for me and sweeping you even if I know it's empty, just not cool, another main one is handling a gun while people are down range! One of the biggest things is the dumb f**ks that shoot stuff up,we had just hung up New ballistic curtains inside and new 2x8s at the base/floor level for the curtain to hang in back of to keep it from flopping out or moving around and a week later some moron shot the shit out of the lower boards ! Like I said these are 2x8s so what the hell were they shooting at ! I shoot alone a lot because of my work schedule but I do have a main group of buddies so we don't have too many issues. If someone new or I don't know is there and they're struggling I will help with grip/stance, etc but try for the most part to keep to myself. I will always keep a watchful eye thought!

eodinert
09-09-19, 09:28
2,000,000 year of evolution to develop a thumb, and when shooting off of a bipod, people don't wrap their thumb around the grip...'cause having a good grip somehow makes you less accurate.

MegademiC
09-09-19, 12:24
2,000,000 year of evolution to develop a thumb, and when shooting off of a bipod, people don't wrap their thumb around the grip...'cause having a good grip somehow makes you less accurate.

I thought you did not want a firm grip to influence the rifle.
I barely touch the rifle with my strong hand when going for groups, but the argument could be made I dont know what Im doing.

CRAMBONE
09-09-19, 13:05
Clean up your flipping empty shotgun shells!!! Been hunting a lot of public land lately searching for doves with my dad, and usually one of my daughters. I’m tired of picking up other people’s hulls. Pick that shit up. I have to explain to my daughters how some people aren’t as clean as us and how they don’t care for the environment and Mother Earth. Clean your trash up!

That and rude behavior. It’s really bad with on public land during waterfowl seasons.
And I love taking women to the range. Whether it’s a friend, my daughters or a romantic interest. Because they listen. And there is always some dude there that thinks he knows better and tries to butt into the range time. They always make a fool of themselves.

26 Inf
09-09-19, 15:22
Clean up your flipping empty shotgun shells!!!

I'm with you on that, for sure. Too many folks think nothing about leaving hulls and boxes lay in the field, even in controlled shooting areas. My son is a neat freak and just as often as not he'll bring in a bag of trash from the areas he's hunted. He frequents a specific walk-in spot for turkey, I think he does more trash pickup than the KDWP personnel.

My pet peeve is folks shooting 22LR and steel-case who just leave their cases lay. I know very few people who police 22 brass, but it becomes a problem in high volume shooting areas. If you are on a concrete pad - sweep it up. If you are going to shoot 300 rounds from 10 yards on the plate rack, pick up the majority of your brass. You get ten people doing that on a week-end and it creates a problem with other shooters finding their brass.

Even if I'm using .22 to practice, I lay out a painter's drop cloths by my shooting positions (https://www.harborfreight.com/9-ft-x-12-ft-canvas-dropcloth-38109.html) I originally used blue plastic tarps, but .223/5.56 were hot enough to fuse to them and stick.

Not always practical if you are doing movement drills, but in most cases you are going to be able to clean your area quickly AND almost always 100% brass recovery. My primary pistol games are action pistol and GSSF so this system works well.

Rogue556
09-09-19, 17:18
Unsafe firearm handling. Everything else falls into the mind your own business category, unless someone asks for help.This.

Fudds are gonna fudd, tools are gonna keep being tools, and more aften than not no one wants your opinion unless asked, even if you are being truly helpful.

So long as one can refrain from doing something unnecessarily dangerous in the vicinity of me and mine, then I really don't care..

Though I do have my own land and thus don't have to deal with others, so there's that.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
09-09-19, 17:20
I thought you did not want a firm grip to influence the rifle.
I barely touch the rifle with my strong hand when going for groups, but the argument could be made I dont know what Im doing.

That is such a "flavor of the month" thing. Hathcock shot circles around most of the people on this forum and he did it with less than ideal shooting positions and rifle grips and under usually terrible conditions. That is when you know somebody can really, really shoot.

I get the strong, practices basics part BUT if actually using a pistol grip with your thumb on the other side throws everything you do into disarray you aren't a strong "practical" shooter. Now if you are bench shooting for any Olympic gold medal, then do whatever makes you 1/200th of an inch tighter than you'd normally shoot.

CRAMBONE
09-09-19, 21:19
My son is a neat freak and just as often as not he'll bring in a bag of trash from the areas he's hunted. He frequents a specific walk-in spot for turkey, I think he does more trash pickup than the KDWP personnel.

I’m the same way. I usually have more trash in the bottom of the boat than ducks on the way out, but I feel better.

SteyrAUG
09-10-19, 01:29
This.

Fudds are gonna fudd, tools are gonna keep being tools, and more aften than not no one wants your opinion unless asked, even if you are being truly helpful.

So long as one can refrain from doing something unnecessarily dangerous in the vicinity of me and mine, then I really don't care..

Though I do have my own land and thus don't have to deal with others, so there's that.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Stupid shit bugs me because I then have to wonder "what's next"? Doesn't mean I voice my concern or get into anyone's business, but it does mean I have to keep an eye on "those guys" when I'm trying to do my thing.

But if everyone is shooting safe, I don't really worry about it, but some things are still amusing.

_Stormin_
09-12-19, 13:13
Unsafe firearm handling.

I'd say that this and people not policing their brass/hulls. I'm a member at a private club, and for the most part all of our people are fantastic about stuff. There's always gotta be one or two outliers that can't help themselves. Hulls on the trap range are the worst, just because people have got to go place their guns on the rack and somehow forget that they left 25 hulls on the ground out at the stations.

T2C
09-12-19, 21:51
People with poor muzzle discipline bug me. As long as you don't flag someone else on the range with your muzzle, nothing else matters much to me and I'll keep to myself.

Furbyballer
09-13-19, 06:19
watching people not follow through and grab a second sight picture. You know the guys that snatch their pistols or rifles back to their chests or low ready? Its an epidemic.