PDA

View Full Version : Why don't the big names use solar power in their red dots?

Giggles
09-08-19, 03:42
Why don't reputable companies like Aimpoint, Eotech and Trijicon use solar power in their designs. I think I would be more inclined to buy more optics from these companies if they offered some sort of battery and solar power options combined. I know there is a dual illuminated RMR, but from what I've heard it has issues.

Chameleox
09-08-19, 05:33
https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=SRS

Trijicon still sells these if I'm not mistaken. They came out a few years ago, but were eclipsed (pun intended) by the MRO, which they released shortly afterwards.

One of the issues with solar is that you do need some space up top for the panel. The SRS is a pretty big optic; possibly for that purpose. But, it came out when the T2, RMR, and MRO were all the rage.

Added: The RMR's dual illumination was from tritium and fiber optic, not solar.

Giggles
09-09-19, 13:34
I’ve known about the SRS. The issues with the srs are the price and availability. I really do think that consumers want optics that give them the most bang for there buck, and that they want cutting edges options with either something like solar or a rechargeable option. I know companies like holosun have solar type option. But I just wonder why you don’t see the big companies pursuing the path.

sjc3081
09-09-19, 13:42
Because Solar is expensive and unreliable

the AR-15 Junkie
09-09-19, 15:40
How do those watches that are advertised as "fueled by light", never needing batteries, work at night?

Seems like a Red Dot could be made the same way? My guess is those watches really have a battery inside that lasts the 10 years of the warranty lol. How else do they work at night?

VIP3R 237
09-09-19, 16:01
Because Solar is expensive and unreliable

And inefficient, plus with 7-10 year battery life available why does anyone need it? The holosun and trijicon models with solar don’t provide enough juice to power them alone, so they assist the battery vs power it solely. You’d need a much larger bank of solar cells to provide the energy needed.

GH41
09-09-19, 16:14
How do those watches that are advertised as "fueled by light", never needing batteries, work at night?

Seems like a Red Dot could be made the same way? My guess is those watches really have a battery inside that lasts the 10 years of the warranty lol. How else do they work at night?

Solar doesn't mean it doesn't have a battery. My 12 year old Citizen Eco Drive watch shuts down everything but the processor when in the dark. In the winter when you pull your sleeve up to check the time it powers up and the hands jog to correct time. I also corrects several times a day through a radio signal. Don't ask me how that works. It's been good enough that the minute it dies I will get another one. My guess is a RDS requires more energy than a watch. I don't see the need for solar in a sight. Maybe I could justify a solar rig to charge batteries if a SHTF event last any length of time.

Mr McSimon
09-09-19, 18:01
https://www.sigsauer.com/store/romeo4t-1x20-mm.html

I'm no operator but I haven't had any problems with mine. I've heard some smack talk about Sig Optics, but also heard some good things too. I've never run any of mine hard enough to destroy them, but I'm a fan and have a couple Romeo's (4's and 5's). The main thing that drew me to them in the first place is they seem to be the best (next to Aimpoints that I also have) for my astigmatism, but I also call the solar on the 4T model a feature.

WickedWillis
09-09-19, 18:15

I'm no operator but I haven't had any problems with mine. I've heard some smack talk about Sig Optics, but also heard some good things too. I've never run any of mine hard enough to destroy them, but I'm a fan and have a couple Romeo's (4's and 5's). The main thing that drew me to them in the first place is they seem to be the best (next to Aimpoints that I also have) for my astigmatism, but I also call the solar on the 4T model a feature.

Holosun, and Sig optics are constantly evolving, and improving, while listening to the feedback from the end user. I have talked tons of shit on Holosun, and then they come out with something incredible like the 507c that is working excellent on hard use handguns, for way less than the RMR or the aimpoints.

They are becoming hard to ignore in the firearms community. I own aimpoints, and RMR's, and the Sig optics at my local dealer have clearer glass and a crisper dot (To me) than my Aimpoint or RMR. YMMV

QuackXP
09-09-19, 19:26
I also corrects several times a day through a radio signal. Don't ask me how that works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWVB

Most of the solar powered watches from the better makers will run between 30-60 days on a full charge without any light. When they do get low they will often go into a low power mode and only basic watch functions will continue to work.

RHINOWSO
09-09-19, 20:20
Why? Because I don't think there is any money it, past hobby users.

If a .Gov agency wanted solar, they'd make solar.

But what real door kickers or even regular soldiers want to worry if the rifle optic that has been in their locker / deployment box is 'charged'?

Who wants to leave their black rifles baking in the hot ass sun to 'charger' either?

Solar on optics is currently a solution in search of a problem to solve.

Straight Shooter
09-09-19, 20:46
And inefficient, plus with 7-10 year battery life available why does anyone need it? The holosun and trijicon models with solar don’t provide enough juice to power them alone, so they assist the battery vs power it solely. You’d need a much larger bank of solar cells to provide the energy needed.

I did not find that to be the case this past Labor Day at all. Ran my Holosun without even the battery tray in the thing..as I have honestly misplaced the thing a couple days earlier. Shot the rifle all Monday afternoon..the Holosun RD was bright & beautiful the whole afternoon. Could be adjusted from dim..all the way to max.

Straight Shooter
09-09-19, 20:48

Why? Because I don't think there is any money it, past hobby users.

If a .Gov agency wanted solar, they'd make solar.

But what real door kickers or even regular soldiers want to worry if the rifle optic that has been in their locker / deployment box is 'charged'?

Who wants to leave their black rifles baking in the hot ass sun to 'charger' either?

Solar on optics is currently a solution in search of a problem to solve.

I disagree.
The dot comes on instantly..no charging required. Even in my bedroom it works.
I see the solar panel just as a back-up to a dead battery.
Again...there is no charging required...I wouldnt want it either were that the case.

the AR-15 Junkie
09-09-19, 21:51
Solar doesn't mean it doesn't have a battery. My 12 year old Citizen Eco Drive watch shuts down everything but the processor when in the dark. In the winter when you pull your sleeve up to check the time it powers up and the hands jog to correct time. I also corrects several times a day through a radio signal. Don't ask me how that works. It's been good enough that the minute it dies I will get another one. My guess is a RDS requires more energy than a watch. I don't see the need for solar in a sight. Maybe I could justify a solar rig to charge batteries if a SHTF event last any length of time.

Not a bad plan. Food for thought.

Giggles
09-10-19, 08:02
I’m surprised that the major companies aren't embracing solar power as a redundant type of back up. Because for example the batteries that people consider easy to find aren’t necessarily easy to find when you start traveling the US or even the world.

jsbhike
09-10-19, 12:14
FBI approved list:

I don't think it matters either way considering the battery life.