PDA

View Full Version : Stag Model 2 Carbine Upgrades

sholling
11-14-08, 14:57
I'm still learning and getting a lot of good information here. I've been doing my homework including the "Did I Make A Mistake" thread. Now it's time for a reality check. I've decided on some changes to make it mine and improve reliability and shootability. I'm in my 50s and not going off to war. It'll be a range toy and stuff/fan self defense tool. I'll be supplementing it with an 18 or 20" DMR/SDM.SPR as soon as I figure out what the heck I want.

LMT BCG
Adco's improved RRA N/M trigger
H buffer
Other changes as suggested from the "mistake" sticky

Am I on the right track? Any thoughts on Wolf buffer springs? Phantom 5C2 flash hider/compensator?

Thanks!
Steve

hatt
11-14-08, 17:55
If the Stag is reliable as it sits, I'd stake the gas key, get the $5 extractor upgrade kit, and maybe the H buffer. Then focus on getting your next rifle together with the higher quality parts before any potential bans or something like that. You're never going to upgrade the Stag to a Colt, no use in changing out every other part when you are wanting to build another rifle anyway. That is just me and my 2 cents. ;)

sholling
11-15-08, 12:21
If the Stag is reliable as it sits, I'd stake the gas key, get the $5 extractor upgrade kit, and maybe the H buffer. Then focus on getting your next rifle together with the higher quality parts before any potential bans or something like that. You're never going to upgrade the Stag to a Colt, no use in changing out every other part when you are wanting to build another rifle anyway. That is just me and my 2 cents. ;)Thank you. I tend to think you're right. I'm just going by the suggested upgrades because of bolt stresses. I'm not going to war with the thing and for now I'll order the H buffer and do the extractor upgrade and stake the gas key. I do have two builds planned as money allows. A 16" mid length, probably based on a Bravo Company (based on reputation) upper and a 20" DMR/SDM that I'm still puzzling over. I'd like to go with White Oak for the 20" but that's a lot of money.