PDA

View Full Version : 10 round 1911 mags

decodeddiesel
11-14-08, 16:10
If this has been asked already I apologize, but I am looking for high quality 10 round 1911 mags. I am a big fan of CMC mags, are the 10 rounders any good? I was also looking at the Wilson 10 rounders, how do they compare? Thanks!

m4shooter
11-14-08, 18:09
CMC are the only 19rds I carry. For 8 rds I like the wilson's

HK45
11-14-08, 18:28
I've used both CMC and Wilsons without issue.

RD62
11-14-08, 19:28
I have never used the Wilson's but the CMC's worked well.

-RD62

DocGKR
11-14-08, 19:55
While I love them for training, after using both CMC and Wilson for a long time, I do not believe any of the 10 round 1911 mags are suitable for duty use.

You might want to read: http://www.10-8performance.com/id17.html

decodeddiesel
11-14-08, 20:16
While I love them for training, after using both CMC and Wilson for a long time, I do not believe any of the 10 round 1911 mags are suitable for duty use.

You might want to read: http://www.10-8performance.com/id17.html

Well thanks for raining all over my parade Doc ;) (at least you didn't have anything to say about me sort of shooting myself)

I may still pick a couple up for range fun.

LonghunterCO
11-14-08, 20:33
Have used the CMC and Brown 10 rnds. I prefer the Brown. No exp with the Wilson in 10 rd.

-As the CMCs wear they have a tendency to have the mag release a round as the mag is seated.

ErikL
11-16-08, 21:16
I have run the the CMC 10 round standard and plus mags pretty hard, and find them to be as reliable as their 8 round power mags in MY guns. I think they have the best 10 rounders on the market, that said If you are going to run them you need to monitor the feed lips and make sure they don't spread to much and continue to drop free from your gun. The new plus (+) magazines have an improved follower design that supposedly adds to reliability, i never had a problem before. I also think that CMC 10round mags have the best base plate, and prevents the mag from getting over inserted. I would have no problems running them operationally and know others that do.

Edited to add. I no long use CMC magazines besides the 10 round models, and if there were a better option I would no longer use those either. I had a group of magazines whos feed lips were spread out and they would no longer drop free. CMC gave me a load of crap about replacing the bodies under warranty, lucky for me the seller refunded the cost of the mags and i replaced them all with the new Wilson elite mag which have run great so far and from past experiences have great customer service. In total i replaced (25) 8 round power mags and (10) 10 round power mags, all were about 2 years old at the time.

Bigun
11-16-08, 22:59
I have run the the CMC 10 round standard and plus mags pretty hard, and find them to be as reliable as their 8 round power mags in MY guns. I think they have the best 10 rounders on the market, that said If you are going to run them you need to monitor the feed lips and make sure they don't spread to much and continue to drop free from your gun. I would have no problems running them operationally and know others that do. I agree when I carry a 1911 it has a 8 round powermag up the spout and 2 10 rd powermags in a double mag carrier. If I cant handle the problem with 28 rds of reliable .45 acp then I have bit off way more than I can chew and deserve whatever comes my way. I have thousands of rounds of factory and reloaded ammo through my CMC powermags and have never had a issue with them.

mac83083
11-17-08, 23:38
In my experiences the CMC mags have proven to be more durable than the Wilson mags. The Wilson mags have a small lip that serves as a stop point to stop you from pushing the magazine to far into the gun, while the CMC mags have the large plastic piece that is provides more of a positive stop. I have had two of the Wilson magazines where that small metal lip broke causing the mag to go to far up into the gun which tied the gun up. The bodies on the Wilson mags also seem to be a little more fragile, I have had several of their magazines dent in the body of the magazine, and have also had problems with the feed lips getting bent. I use these magazines in IPSC and IDPA competition so they get used pretty hard.

Alaskapopo
11-19-08, 22:26
I agree when I carry a 1911 it has a 8 round powermag up the spout and 2 10 rd powermags in a double mag carrier. If I cant handle the problem with 28 rds of reliable .45 acp then I have bit off way more than I can chew and deserve whatever comes my way. I have thousands of rounds of factory and reloaded ammo through my CMC powermags and have never had a issue with them.

Actually it would be 29 rounds. 8 in the mag one in the pipe and 20 on the belt.

Anyway I used to carry 10 round mags but after having issues with feed lip spread and failing to drop free I went to Wilsons ETM 8 round mag.
Pat