PDA

View Full Version : Is a LaRue Quad Rail worth 250% more than a YHM Quad Rail?

sonrider657
11-14-08, 16:10
I can get a Yankee Hill Free Float Handguard for $99.95 or a LaRue Tactical Free Float Handguard for $247.00.

Both are American Made and seem to work well.

What makes the LaRue 2.5 X as expensive? What do I get for 250% more money?

Lumpy196
11-14-08, 16:27
Rock-solid attachment and rails that are in spec.

R1pper
11-14-08, 17:04
What do I get for 250% more money?

A product that far better and you will only have to buy once.

-DM-

Paulinski
11-14-08, 17:05
Yes..

kukang
11-14-08, 17:36
Is it worth 250% more? Well, that is subjective. Both companies make good rails. The LaRue though has the "it" factor. ;)

lalakai
11-14-08, 19:59
many of the free float guards will "free float" to varying degrees. If you look at the mounting system for the LaRue's, you will see a big difference between the LaRue's and others. Along with making a more secure mount, it improves heat transference; true the grip does get warmer faster, but that same heat is being pulled from your barrel where it's causing more damage.

downside to the LaRue's is that putting them on isn't fun. I'm comfortable with working on those type of projects but this time i chickened out and let Grant assemble the package for me (kudos to Grant on that package btw).

John_Wayne777
11-14-08, 20:13
I can get a Yankee Hill Free Float Handguard for $99.95 or a LaRue Tactical Free Float Handguard for $247.00.

All that glitters is not gold...

This is a lot like the optic questions. What makes one RDS superior to this much cheaper RDS?

"Free float" is unfortunately a term that is used a lot like "mil spec". LaRue's FF rail systems are true free float and their rails are guaranteed to be in spec. Unfortunately a lot of other manufacturers don't quite meet that standard.

When you buy a rail from someone like LaRue or Daniel Defense (another good option) you're getting products that live up to the claims on the label.

Broadway
11-14-08, 22:00
If you are going to a one way square range anything will work so cheaper may be better. If you are going to a two way one the quality and specs. of your gear are more important. Larue is as good as it gets.

bullitt5172
11-14-08, 22:02
Yes, LaRue rails are worth 250% more ;)

DocGKR
11-14-08, 22:36
LaRue is the way to go, followed by DD.

Bachelorjack
11-14-08, 23:50
"If Larue is an answer, Larue is the answer"
-Pat Rogers

SuicideHz
11-15-08, 00:17
I've found YHM to be junk myself.

I don't own LaRue but I've owned several DDs and I know the LaRues are just as good as the DDs.

With that, I'd chose the LT rail.

YHM is junk and you'll always "wonder" about the LT rail.

Buy once, cry once. You'll live through the initial cost I would think. You'll never regret purchasing it, never. With the YHM, you'll always wonder about having a better one and the daydreaming will get old, fast. You may be able to resell that YHM at a big loss if you end up giving in to the wondering and daydreaming.

kukang
11-15-08, 00:33
I wouldn't go so far as calling YHM junk. The are decent well priced equipment.:cool:

Bachelorjack
11-15-08, 01:21
I wouldn't go so far as calling YHM junk. The are decent well priced equipment.:cool:

No. They are very much a waste of money. I will not send another dollar their way. If I get something of theirs I will sell it. Immediately!

It's that big of a difference.

bkb0000
11-15-08, 01:55
No. They are very much a waste of money. I will not send another dollar their way. If I get something of theirs I will sell it. Immediately!

bad experience? do share.

well i haven't used any YHM stuff, but I'm gonna. as soon as i decide on a barrel length for my "cheap gun" build i'm gonna order one up.

All i;ve used is DD. Larue's have always been too ugly, too skinny, or the guy on the phone's been having too bad of a day by the time he answers my call for me to want to place an order, so I've never owned one. DD rocks, but i've recently doubted if i HAVE to spend an additional $350 on every build.

i have trouble following the logic that YHM is "junk." people say, but they never say why. they're heavier, don't look as cool (as DD; larue guards are fugly), cost less, and probably don't wick heat as well... but i'm sure they're still a jagantaye improvement over ANY plastic guards. so what if they're not "as good?" that doesn't make them junk. what if you don't need "as good," but need "better than plastic?"

i'll even do some testing... i'll bang it around some, benchrest it, pull a barrel temp reading, pop it off and put on a DD, bang it around some and benchrest it, and get a barrel temp again. i suspect i'll get the same groups and that it wont break under a moderate beating. we'll see about heat. if someone wants to send me a larue i'll test it too.

kukang
11-15-08, 01:56

I'm glad I don't have champagne taste.

Robb Jensen
11-15-08, 06:56

LaRue rails (and other high end rails) are smaller, lighter and stronger, more consistent from rail to rail. I prefer Daniel Defense rails myself but LaRue rails are top quality and very nice and on the same par as DD.

It's kinda like race cars, How fast do you want to go? Speed costs money.
Will a YHM rail suffice for most people? Yes.

Don Robison
11-15-08, 07:24
LaRue rails (and other high end rails) are smaller, lighter and stronger, more consistent from rail to rail. I prefer Daniel Defense rails myself but LaRue rails are top quality and very nice and on the same par as DD.

It's kinda like race cars, How fast do you want to go? Speed costs money.
Will a YHM rail suffice for most people? Yes.

IMHO, the best answer in the thread.
I prefer DD free float and KAC non free float but have a YHM on a franken upper. It serves the purpose I wanted it to on a fun gun that I don't use or intend to use on a "serious" basis. All I wanted was an inexpensive free float to mount a bipod on and it does that just fine. YHM is not in the same league as Larue, DD, KAC etc., but they serve their purpose in the inexpensive(less expensive) market.
That said, yes Larue is worth the price IMHO.

YMMV

gpo1956
11-15-08, 09:54
I've been on most of the firearms forums for years. The best lesson I've learned is to browse the threads, paying attention to posters. Eventually a pattern will appear. There are those whose opinions I've come to trust and there are those who only parrot what the local forum "Big Dog", the latest gunrag guru or the currently hottest tactical trainer has to say. I've owned DD, Larue, Samson and Yankee Hill. I've been satisfied with all of them. Maybe I'm just lucky, but the YHM did what it was supposed to do. The others do, as someone before noted, seem to have more of an "it" factor, which I think in a lot of cases carries more weight than actual superiority of product. Just my 2 cents.

David Ben Uzi
11-15-08, 10:04

I have always found YHM products to be very good. I would give them a try and see if what I and others are saying is not correct.

David

ryanm
11-15-08, 10:13
Ask yourself what the actual purpose of the weapon for which you are purchasing the part. Another question worth asking "Will I feel bad if I wear the finish off an expensive part vs a cheaper part"? (and more importantly, will it functionally matter...)

I don't think there is any doubt about LaRue quality--its top notch. But if rendering that beautiful rail system into a scratched up mess is going to make you sick at a later date--then I'd think about something that isn't going to have that effect.

If your weapon is more of a tool than a bench piece--get the best tool you can afford to do the job and don't worry about the cosmetics.

bkb0000
11-15-08, 11:02
i will say that i think larue is more "appropriately" priced than some others. off he top of my head, i think they usually run about $50 less for the same unit as DD. in fact, i don't think i've ever seen any larue selling for over $300.

they're more expensive than YHM, but they're still not even the spendiest of guards.

Dave_M
11-16-08, 01:11
I think it really depends what you're going to do with it.

If it's for a vert grip and a flashlight--the YHM will suit you just fine. It's not as pretty and it's heavier and it isn't made by LaRue--but it will suit your purpose.

I am not a cheap bastard but I am a frugal one. So long as I'm not mounting optics on the quad rail--I could really care less what the make is so long as it's stable.

Now if you're mounting a reflex onto it or are overly concerned about weight, it's probably worth it to spend the cash on at least a mid-level rail system.

SuicideHz
11-16-08, 02:01
Are most LaRue railed fore ends $50 cheaper than similar DDs or are you looking at a Lite rail compared to LT's standard rail?

The Lite rail costs more for a reason- it's a superb rail.

And yes, its easy to say that everyone that likes the most expensive rails are elitists or just have too much money to waste.

But, take it from someone who HAD to have a railed fore end on a cheap budget and who later tried DD.

I had ONE YHM carbine free float rail. I could barely get anything to fit without forcing it. It was cheaply parkerized and it actually loosened up several times. Putting KAC panels on it was a joke. The edges were sharp and annoying and really fouled up the foam I custom cut in my starlight case.

I started with DD when I could afford it and took a huge loss on the YHM. I basically gave it away for free on the rifle when I sold it. I truly wish I had saved that hundred bucks to put towards ADCO's first ever DMM4 upper- back before midlengths were all the rage. It came with a DD 9.0 that I quickly upgraded to a 12.0 FSPM. I've since bought a 10.0 DD rail and then an Omega. At just over double the cost (actually less than double after having to pay to ship the rifle and YHM back and forth to get it installed tightly) I would never suggest a YHM product of any kind, except for a phantom FH or one of the suppressors they manufacture under license.

Remember, those that have tried more than a few rails will recommend many others over the YHM. Those that have only used YHM will of course talk about how happy they are to have their first railed fore end.

bkb0000
11-16-08, 02:11
Now if you're mounting a reflex onto it or are overly concerned about weight, it's probably worth it to spend the cash on at least a mid-level rail system.

whats a "mid-level" rail system, then? i would have said YHM IS a mid-level guard. its between the oddball or no-name crap you see on your annoying neighbor's bushmaster, and the splendier SWSs and LArues and DDs.

krichbaum
11-16-08, 10:39
Nothing wrong with YHM, but as usual it depends on the application and your preferences. The YHM free float rails that I've seen ARE free float in function, not just in name. What I don't like about them:

-usually just too fat, I like a narrower cross section with regard to feel
-the actual rails aren't always to spec, so some attachments might not quite fit right
-they don't look as nice as some of the others

I've never had a YHM rail break or come loose, but I'm not really a hard user so take that for what it's worth. I've had Larue and DD rails, and I prefer to spend a little extra on them for most of my builds. Just personal preference, and I do trust them a bit more than others to stand up to real abuse in the (not likely at all) event that it would happen.

And, I have learned that when it comes to this stuff it's better to buy once. I've replaced a lot of stuff that truly was crap or that I just bought as a substitute for what I really wanted. I always end up replacing the cheap substitutes later, and would save money to just get the good stuff up front.

Patrick Aherne
11-16-08, 10:48
YHM stuff is heavier, has more screws and point of potential failure than the Larue. I am probably cheaper than the next guy, but I will only buy Larue, DD or Vltor rails. More than my reputation rests on how my rifles perform.

A friend I trust implicitly just recommended a Samson rail. I may try them or a Troy in the future.

I could care less what people think about my weapon or the bling factor.

Outlander Systems
11-16-08, 11:04
I currently have a YHM "free float" railed handguard on one of my blasters.

It's not horrible, but it's not exactly anything close to resembling the high-end LT, DD, SF, Vltor, etc. either. Not by a mile.

It's bulky, quirky, hefty, and very unrefined.

If you're looking for something cheap, you're going to get what you pay for. The DD Omega is damned near featherweight. Put that up against the YHM, and its like apples and oranges.

I do not like this rail whatsoever. Save the difference and get a top-tier forend.

My advice is the following, so take it for what its worth (not much):

1) Ask yourself how long you plan on keeping your weapon
2) If the answer is "for a looooooong time", then don't skimp on the hardware

You will be happier with a plain Jane handguard than to get a bargain-priced rail system. Seriously. Get the LaRue, man.

nrode
11-16-08, 11:45
My first quad rail was a YHM carbine length FF. It worked but the thing was way too large around. Very uncomfortable to hold, but it was a true FF and it was very solid (anti-rotational screws). I was on a budget and thought it would be fine. Fast forward to present and that rifle wears a DD Lite rail along with both my LMTs. To me the DDs are that good. Extremely light, comfortable and rock solid. I imagine the Larue will be equal to DD.

That said, on my scoped truck gun I am still running a YHM FF rifle length rail. I wanted something I didn't care if I knocked the hell out of that would hold a bipod. I almost never shoot the rifle offhand so the extra weight and size don't matter. It is solid and serves it's purpose well.

I guess the point I am making is that only you can know if the extra money is worth it to you. You know what you want out of the rail and what your needs are. Consider looking at the Midwest Industries rails too. They are a fine product in between the cost and quality of YHM and Larue.

C4IGrant
11-16-08, 12:35
i will say that i think larue is more "appropriately" priced than some others. off he top of my head, i think they usually run about $50 less for the same unit as DD. in fact, i don't think i've ever seen any larue selling for over $300.

they're more expensive than YHM, but they're still not even the spendiest of guards.

Keep in mind that you also receive $35.85 worth of Magpul ladders. These put them in line with the LT rails.

C4

Dave_M
11-16-08, 21:37
whats a "mid-level" rail system, then? i would have said YHM IS a mid-level guard. its between the oddball or no-name crap you see on your annoying neighbor's bushmaster, and the splendier SWSs and LArues and DDs.

I agree, the YHM is a mid-level rail system. I concede the point.

You will be happier with a plain Jane handguard than to get a bargain-priced rail system. Seriously. Get the LaRue, man.

I disagree. The YHM free-floating rails are certainly better than regular handguards. They are certainly easier to mount a white light and vert grip on than a plain jane handguard. For my T&E el-cheapo carbine I even purchased a UTG quad rail--I was just using it for a vert grip and a light so why do I care? It is heavier but it is a great value for the price.

Like I said before though, I am a frugal man. I have an LMT and an ACOG on my SHTF carbine because LMT uppers are great and I don't think anything comes close to the ACOG for the money (and I am a little biased from my experience in the Marine Corps). I still stand by that the YHM is just fine for mounting a vert grip and a white light so long as you don't mind the extra weight.

I have been eyeballing the DD Omega for my SBR (as soon as I get the new stamp!) because of the ease of install and because I plan to forward mount an EOtech on it.

Remember, those that have tried more than a few rails will recommend many others over the YHM. Those that have only used YHM will of course talk about how happy they are to have their first railed fore end.

I've owned other rail systems before but for the basic purpose (I know, I'm a broken record, a white light and vert grip) I can still recommend the YHM.

nrode
11-16-08, 21:50
Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
I agree, the YHM is a mid-level rail system. I concede the point.

The no name oddball shit on BMs is YHM. Most of the BMAS (Bushmaster Modular Accessory System) is made up from YHM parts.

SuicideHz
11-16-08, 21:52
Hmm... I dunno about that one. I would rather take a decent pair of quality M4 handguards and mount a short piece of rail at 1:30 and throw an X300 on there than pay for a YHM. That little piece of rail costs next to nothing and I wouldn't mind not being able to resell it. The YHM on the other hand, isn't so cheap but I know reselling it would be a pain in the ass...

bkb0000
11-16-08, 22:17
The no name oddball shit on BMs is YHM. Most of the BMAS (Bushmaster Modular Accessory System) is made up from YHM parts.

Hahahaha... that's bad ass.

I'm still getting a YHM, though. If they truly suck balls, then I'll be able to tell people "I tried YHM, and they sucked balls. You don't want your balls sucked by a piece of ****ed up aluminum, now do you?"

And I didn't fully disclose my true intent anyway- I plan to take it down to my father's machine shop and hack on it. I have an idea, but I don't know if it'll work, so I gotta have something cheap to try it on first.

bkb0000
11-16-08, 22:23
Hmm... I dunno about that one. I would rather take a decent pair of quality M4 handguards and mount a short piece of rail at 1:30 and throw an X300 on there than pay for a YHM. That little piece of rail costs next to nothing and I wouldn't mind not being able to resell it. The YHM on the other hand, isn't so cheap but I know reselling it would be a pain in the ass...

man... we're talkin about a hunna dolla. that's nothin... you'll blow more than that for a half hour in a decent hooker, and guards will last you a hell of a lot longer than a half hour. even crappy guards.

SuicideHz
11-16-08, 22:39
No, I'm afraid I'd still rather not waste the money and use the good ol' M4 handguards...

A $100 hooker? Oh, she might linger LOT longer than you think depending on how much lysol you use or don't use ;)

tkosiba
11-17-08, 06:03
I just put the YHM rifle length customizable round handguard on my mid-length 18" 6.8 SPC. It's a nice slender handguard that allows me to mount "what I want, where I want." No problems and everyone who has seen it seem to like it. Yes, it's not the serious quad rail, but round shooting comfort was first on my list with adaptability second. Since the time of the photo, I added the 3"rail forend for a Bobro Gen 2 bi-pod. Also looking at a Daniel Defense 1 O'Clock mount for an optional Aimpoint T-1 positioned closer to the scope.

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo122/tkosiba/WOAAR001.jpg

JoshNC
11-17-08, 09:29
Yes, it is absolutely worth the additional cost. The LaRue is lightweight, has an anti-rotation feature built into the design, has built-in q.d. swivel points on each side of the rail at the rear, and is extremely well made.

Not to mention that Mark GIVES a great deal of gear away to our war fighters. He truly supports our troops and puts his money where his mouth is routinely.

Buy the LaRue and don't look back.

Oh, and you get a 'Dillo bottle opener, LaRue hat, and LaRue dry rub seasoning with each purchase.....what is not to like. ;)

mmike87
11-17-08, 09:29
The first AR I ever bought was a RRA with a YHM rail.

Would I buy those same parts again knowing what I know now? Probably not.

However, I am looking at that rifle and wanting to make some changes, and I have been wondering if I should swap out a free float rail that I have never had any issues with? Everything fits on it and it seems to be "in spec". It IS heavier, but not $150 heavier, and it's only a 7.0 rail so it's not that heavy to begin with. it hasn't twisted or moved in a couple thousand rounds, so it seems solid.

I'm torn. All my other rails are DD Lite or Omega, and they are great. But I'd feel silly trashing a rail that doesn't see to have any issues. But I like/want "good" stuff across the board, too.

Since this rifle is probably going to a a KISS rifle and nothing is going on the rails aside from rail covers anyway I should probably remove it and put handguards back on it.

I'll also add this - Magpul XTM panels fit better on the YHM than on my DD 12.0 rail. They are slightly loose on the DD 12.0 and fit snug on my DD 9.0 Lite and 9.0 Omega, and on the YHM as well. Tolerance differences between the rails and XTM panels? But panels that are tight on the other rails are still ever so loose on thr 12.0 rail.

Just thinking out loud.

Dave_M
11-17-08, 10:42
Oh, and you get a 'Dillo bottle opener, LaRue hat, and LaRue dry rub seasoning with each purchase.....what is not to like. ;)

Don't forget about the tactical paint mixer you get sometimes too :D

MIKE G
11-17-08, 11:10

boltcatch
11-17-08, 13:34
I'm glad I don't have champagne taste.

We're not talking champagne and beer here, we're talking potable water vs. something that might or might not give you the shits, but is going to taste like ass even if it doesn't.

LaRue products are going to be better designed, more accurate, more consistent, and made from better materials than anything YHM puts out. YHM products will generally work - unless they don't (rails not fitting, not being true, etc.) If $150 is really that big of a deal when it comes to getting a piece of equipment that is dependable and fully functional, then you probably should have bought an SKS or M44.

Alaskapopo
11-17-08, 15:13
I am so impressed with Larue stuff that is pretty much all I buy when it comes to optics mounts now.
Pat

Abraxas
11-17-08, 15:32
LaRue is the way to go, followed by DD.

Really? I have always understood them to be equal. What puts them above DD?

kukang
11-17-08, 17:05
We're not talking champagne and beer here, we're talking potable water vs. something that might or might not give you the shits, but is going to taste like ass even if it doesn't.

LaRue products are going to be better designed, more accurate, more consistent, and made from better materials than anything YHM puts out. YHM products will generally work - unless they don't (rails not fitting, not being true, etc.) If $150 is really that big of a deal when it comes to getting a piece of equipment that is dependable and fully functional, then you probably should have bought an SKS or M44.

SKS or M44's? C'mon dude give me a break! Can anyone here boast of 7 M16's and its variants? I can. You talk about rails like it's going to save your life. Get a gun that will dude!

kukang
11-17-08, 17:35
Really? I have always understood them to be equal. What puts them above DD?

Amen to that!

bkb0000
11-17-08, 18:04
LaRue products are going to be better designed, more accurate, more consistent, and made from better materials than anything YHM puts out.

when?

j/k

boltcatch
11-17-08, 23:04
SKS or M44's? C'mon dude give me a break! Can anyone here boast of 7 M16's and its variants? I can. You talk about rails like it's going to save your life. Get a gun that will dude!

That wasn't a knock on AR's, it was a knock on people going cheap because the weapon they've chosen is outside their budget. What would you rather have, a Vulcan AR-15, or an SKS?

Dave_M
11-18-08, 11:35
That wasn't a knock on AR's, it was a knock on people going cheap because the weapon they've chosen is outside their budget. What would you rather have, a Vulcan AR-15, or an SKS?

That's funny. I don't see how choosing a YHM over a LaRue on a gun means that the rifle is outside of my budget. It's not the same as choosing a Chinese red dot over an ACOG.

boltcatch
11-18-08, 14:10
I stand by what I said, in the context of non-plinking rifles.

If the price difference between the YHM and LaRue rail really is that critical for you, then you probably should have chosen a platform other than the AR.

Dave_M
11-18-08, 14:34
I stand by what I said, in the context of non-plinking rifles.

If the price difference between the YHM and LaRue rail really is that critical for you, then you probably should have chosen a platform other than the AR.

It's not that I can't afford it, not by any means. It's that I don't see any added benefit to the LaRue since I'm not currently mounting optics on the quad rail and I don't care about weight. Like I said before, I'm not cheap but I am frugal. I spend the extra money where I see that it's appropriate (upper receiver assembly, bolt assembly, LPK, optics, magazines, buttstock). For a gun with no forward mounted optic, frankly any solid rail system will work just fine.

For the SBR build, I'm looking at the LaRue and the DD rails since I'll be forward mounting an optic. With that use I see spending the extra money on the rail system as appropriate.

I get the impression you think I have a no-name gun with the cheapest shit on it I could find like a import buttstock with an underweight buffer with an airsoft knock-off Aimpoint and USA brand magazines.

lalakai
11-18-08, 15:16
my experience comes from owning an M4 with LaRue's, also based on alot of researching the topic, talking with individuals that have owned various setups with different hand guards, and shooting a couple different rail systems.

if you are just looking for a free float system, then many of them will do that just fine, and less expensive then the LaRue's. Free float along with mounting potential and you have can choose from several different manufactors that will all give you what you want (barring the adhesive systems that secure to traditional heat shields). If you are considering a free float system that combines a very secure mounting system, that narrows the field. If you also want to combine a system that will assist with actively pulling heat from the barrel and chamber, you are left with the LaRue Tactical.

Often it comes down to an individual's priorities and preferences, and how that affects their wallets and what they expect from their purchases. For plinking you can't beat my old 10/22 that has burned through thousands of rounds; deer hunting in the brush i love my old lever action 30/30. A rifle that i will trust in a confrontational situation.......my M4, and part of that trust is based on the LaRue components.

gpo1956
11-18-08, 18:57
I guess I've finally found the place all the black fatigue wearing "operators" walking the aisles of the gun shows hang out.

SuicideHz
11-18-08, 19:04
I'd say welcome and enjoy your time here but with that attitude, I doubt you'll enjoy it, nor will it last long.

Shall I now add that now I've finally found the place where the guys who hang out at the UTG booth at the gunshows would like to start hanging out?

:p

I guess I've finally found the place all the black fatigue wearing "operators" walking the aisles of the gun shows hang out.

Don Robison
11-18-08, 20:16
I'd say welcome and enjoy your time here but with that attitude, I doubt you'll enjoy it, nor will it last long.

Shall I know add that now I've finally found the place where the guys who hang out at the UTG booth at the gunshows would like to start hanging out?

:p

+1 Suicide

GPO you might want to look around a while before you start running off at the keyboard.

FWIW: I'm embarrassed for you.

SpartanArms
11-18-08, 20:19
RE: O/P's question -- Is LaRue FF worth 250% more than YHM FF

YES. Any truly in spec., quality FF rail (be it LaRue, DD, K.A.C., or even P.R.I.) is considerably better than anything YHM produces. Even if the previously mentioned companies charged 400% more than YHM it would still be worth it, if you plan to use your weapon for any serious purpose. There are serious companies who make guns/parts for serious use, and there are hobby companies who make guns/parts for hobby shooters. If you plan on never using your weapon for defense, and only plan to punch paper, then buy whatever. If you plan on using your weapon for defense of your life, or the lives of your loved ones I would buy parts made to a quality standard.

Also, I doubt whomever owns YHM will ever let you send something back to them for a full refund just because you weren't happy with it. Mark LaRue will.:D His gear also has a lifetime guarantee, which I'm pretty sure YHM does not offer.

Dave_M
11-18-08, 21:05
Also, I doubt whomever owns YHM will ever let you send something back to them for a full refund just because you weren't happy with it. Mark LaRue will.:D His gear also has a lifetime guarantee, which I'm pretty sure YHM does not offer.

Oh I have no misconceptions that YHM won't give me my money back--it's a $100 rail, I could care less. I also don't like spending my money so others can think I'm "serious" about shooting.

Karl in NY
11-18-08, 21:13
I'm a newcomer here, but my initial impression is that there are many elitists who feel that only the very best and most expensive gear is even remotely acceptable.
Who would trust the safety of their family to a Yankee Hill handguard, for example? Sometimes this culture makes me gag.

Some of us are on a budget, some of us are just building a new sand-lot plinker, some of us already own 27 high-end SHTF guns, some of us are just building yet another AR-15 only to avoid Winter boredom, some of us can't justify a 250% cost-hit to get the last 5% of performance from a handguard which will probably have nothing other than a sling and bipod ever attached to it, some of us just want to get "invested" in our first AR-15 before new legislation kicks in, some of us already own a $1000 AR-15 airsoft replica complete with fake Matech rear BUIS and fake ACOG®...

My point being, we are all coming from different places and heading for different destinations as far as the AR-15 is concerned.

YHM seems to be as ridiculed here as Leapers and UTG, both Chinese brands.
I only have one YHM item, a folding BUIS front sight which seems perfectly adequate, especially considering the fact that it will probably never be "deployed" in my lifetime. I also have GG&G, JP, etc...I pick and choose and yes, I do look for what's cost-effective.

I say "deployed" because so many folks on the forum speak as if they're going to be in Bagdad before sundown, but the majority of that just seems to me to be posturing and role-playing, one small step above airsoft.

Dave_M
11-18-08, 21:15
I'm a newcomer here, but my initial impression is that there are many elitists who feel that only the very best and most expensive gear is even remotely acceptable.
Who would trust the safety of their family to a Yankee Hill handguard, for example? Sometimes this culture makes me gag.

Some of us are on a budget, some of us are just building a new sand-lot plinker, some of us already own 27 high-end SHTF guns, some of us are just building yet another AR-15 only to avoid Winter boredom, some of us can't justify a 250% cost-hit to get the last 5% of performance from a handguard which will probably have nothing other than a sling and bipod ever attached to it, some of us just want to get "invested" in our first AR-15 before new legislation kicks in, some of us already own a $1000 AR-15 airsoft replica complete with fake Matech rear BUIS and fake ACOG®...

My point being, we are all coming from different places and heading for different destinations as far as the AR-15 is concerned.

I only have one YHM item, a folding BUIS front sight which seems perfectly adequate, especially considering the fact that it will probably never be "deployed" in my lifetime. I also have GG&G, JP, etc...I pick and choose and yes, I do look for what's cost-effective.

I say "deployed" because so many folks on the forum speak as if they're going to be in Bagdad before sundown, but the majority of that just seems to me to be posturing and role-playing, one small step above airsoft.

I'd quiet down if I were you--you might bring more Arfcommers to this thread :D

SpartanArms
11-18-08, 21:34
DavePAL84,

No offense intended to you sir. I don't mean to imply that having a YHM rail means you are not serious about shooting. I stated in my post if you are simply building a gun for fun, paper punching, etc. then buy whatever floats your boat. If you are using it for defense then buy something that works, is built to the correct spec., and won't crap out at the first opportunity. Personally my AR's are not used for 3-gun or shooting on the range, but for duty (local P.D.) and for high-volume training classes. If my rifle takes a shit on duty, it very well could mean my ass.

Karl in NY,

We're all adults here, if you prefer YHM, fine. If it's only being used to build your 28th AR-15, and you already have 27 other high-end guns that's cool. To be perfectly honest a rail system is not a necessity on an AR-15, unless you run lights, lasers, VFGs, etc. If you need to put lights or lasers or VFG's on your weapon, then I'd buy a quality rail system...it's all dictated by your end use. The reason I'm so adamant about using a "high-dollar" rail system is because too many people buy Leapers, UTG, or YHM thinking this rail is "just as good as" a higher priced rail and then they want to bitch and complain when it takes a shit...just my 02 cents.:)

SuicideHz
11-18-08, 21:59
Wow. Good luck to you too Karl. You WILL need it.

I didn't say you had a small penis or were worthless as a man because you don't have a LaRue or DD.

Please don't lash out like you've been offended.

Person A asks a question. Persons B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, etc. all came in and said "I owned YHM and here is why I won't again."

Person X and Y come in and shoot their mouths off having no experience with either that anyone knows of, but they act insulting.

The alphabet is going to be only 24 letters long soon I think...

Your post is chock full of negative attitude. Your POV would be nice if it was at least in support of the OP but you seem to have just come in to stir the pot. You took defending YHM to the extreme.

Take it from someone who's come close to drowning himself in hot water around here before. Getting carried away like you just did will cut your own throat.

At least your YHM BUIS is a front sight. Their rear sights barely fold. They have a 90 degree hinge and are as about as tall when folded as they are when up.

You get what you pay for. There are a lot of good ~$250 rails out there. There are a lot of ~$100 or less rail/handguard systems. Don't think that because the YHM is made in the US that it's actual quality is much better than UTG. It's advantage is it's made of steel. YHM isn't stupid. If their rail was worth any more than $100, it would cost more than $100. It simply isn't.

Let me make myself clear, NOONE who can only afford a $100 YHM rail has anything to be ashamed of and noone here wants them to feel that way, or at least I hope they do not. What I and the rest of us have done was give the OP our own experiences, the reasons for the choices we've made and hopefully some insight we wish we would have been given.

Experience is what makes this site different than most. If you want to get the most you can from it, learn from the experiences others offer you and if you don't want to, walk away quietly. That's all anyone will ask of you.

Dave_M
11-18-08, 22:34
No offense intended to you sir. I don't mean to imply that having a YHM rail means you are not serious about shooting. I stated in my post if you are simply building a gun for fun, paper punching, etc. then buy whatever floats your boat. If you are using it for defense then buy something that works, is built to the correct spec., and won't crap out at the first opportunity. Personally my AR's are not used for 3-gun or shooting on the range, but for duty (local P.D.) and for high-volume training classes. If my rifle takes a shit on duty, it very well could mean my ass.

Although I do use an AR for shooting 3-gun I use the same one for training. My AR has made it through more than one 500-rounds-in-a-day session and the rail has held up just fine. If I was worried about the YHM rail I have failing I would replace it, simple as that. I have yet to have a negative experience with it and as soon as I do I'd be the first to report it. I've been wrong in the past and swallowed my pride before.

As of yet, the YHM rail on my carbine hasn't failed me (nor am I mounting optics on it, as I've stated many times). On the same token, I am not going to replace it because someone on the internet said it was garbage.

I have several pieces from LT (all optic mounts actually) and I do not doubt the quality of LT gear (actually, my magnifier mount came from one of the staff member's weapon since they were out of stock at the time and incorrectly had it listed in stock--great customer service. I could not be more pleased). I have no doubt that the LT rail system is a better system than the YHM but I just can't see paying more for it when currently I just have a white light and a VFG on the rail system.

bkb0000
11-18-08, 22:46
Who would trust the safety of their family to a Yankee Hill handguard, for example? Sometimes this culture makes me gag...

I suspect I have at least a LITTLE bit of a rep for being a sub-culter non-conformist around here, myself... And I agree with what you're saying, to an extent. but you're really kind of being an asshole about it, and no one's going to be receptive to an asshole. if you hope to change some personalities with a post or two before being banned by the elitists running the show, you're not going to... so it's pointless.. and you won't even get the satisfaction of having jabbed and danced away, 'cause we're all gonna pounce on this opportunity to rock somebody's e-world- and then forget you were even here.

if you look around a little bit, you'll see half of us ARE going to be in baghdad tomorrow- have been and will be for a while. the rest of us are dealers, smiths, competition shooters, miliary, police, PSD, or retired military types like me who're still actively engaged in the platform. whatever the case- the lingo comes out when you're talking guns and tactics. nobody's using the shit on some dumb chick in a bar, or with people standing around at the bus stop, or whatever your experience has been.

this is a technical forum, not intended for casual shooters. casual shooters are welcome to come and learn things, and even contribute- but there's plenty of other forums for non-technical, non-military people to hang out and talk about how much they love their Bushmasters. go there if you can't handle the rich odor of balls eminating from this site.

nrode
11-18-08, 23:01
this is a technical forum, not intended for casual shooters. casual shooters are welcome to come and learn things, and even contribute- but there's plenty of other forums for non-technical, non-military people to hang out and talk about how much they love their Bushmasters. go there if you can't handle the rich odor of balls eminating from this site.

+1

If a person doesn't like the "elitist attitude" there is always TOS. I really don't see it as being elitist though. More of a group of men who appreciate high quality, no compromise equipment.

SuicideHz
11-18-08, 23:02
You spelled "emanating" wrong. :p

Thanks for taking my rambling and getting to the point!

Alaskapopo
11-18-08, 23:06
I suspect I have at least a LITTLE bit of a rep for being a sub-culter non-conformist around here, myself... And I agree with what you're saying, to an extent. but you're really kind of being an asshole about it, and no one's going to be receptive to an asshole. if you hope to change some personalities with a post or two before being banned by the elitists running the show, you're not going to... so it's pointless.. and you won't even get the satisfaction of having jabbed and danced away, 'cause we're all gonna pounce on this opportunity to rock somebody's e-world- and then forget you were even here.

if you look around a little bit, you'll see half of us ARE going to be in baghdad tomorrow- have been and will be for a while. the rest of us are dealers, smiths, competition shooters, miliary, police, PSD, or retired military types like me who're still actively engaged in the platform. whatever the case- the lingo comes out when you're talking guns and tactics. nobody's using the shit on some dumb chick in a bar, or with people standing around at the bus stop, or whatever your experience has been.

Not all of us are military. There are a fair number of LEO's here as well. Otherwise I agree with your post.
Pat

bkb0000
11-18-08, 23:21
Not all of us are military. There are a fair number of LEO's here as well. Otherwise I agree with your post.
Pat

i included LEOs in my post, brother.

the rest of us are dealers, smiths, competition shooters, miliary, police, PSD, or retired military types like me who're still actively engaged in the platform.

Alaskapopo
11-18-08, 23:45
i included LEOs in my post, brother.

Doh. Sorry I missed that.
Pat

bkb0000
11-19-08, 00:16
You spelled "emanating" wrong. :p

Thanks for taking my rambling and getting to the point!

well what do you expekt from a dumbshit elitist gun guy?

Sabre675
11-19-08, 05:00
YES!

I love Larue, DD and VLTOR VIS. Also LMT MRP for the two piece challenged. Get what you pay for. I've bought a lot of stuff in the past that I now consider junk. I would have saved a lot of money if I would have bought higher quality products the first time. :cool:

bkb0000
11-19-08, 05:43
YES!

I love Larue, DD and VLTOR VIS. Also LMT MRP for the two piece challenged. Get what you pay for. I've bought a lot of stuff in the past that I now consider junk. I would have saved a lot of money if I would have bought higher quality products the first time. :cool:

what junk did you buy, and why was it junk?

lalakai
11-19-08, 08:19

Back on track folks......................................................a legitimate question and they want simple easy answers (before thread gets locked for flaming).

boltcatch
11-19-08, 10:18
Oh I have no misconceptions that YHM won't give me my money back--it's a $100 rail, I could care less. I also don't like spending my money so others can think I'm "serious" about shooting.

I don't like to spend my money so that the rifle weighs more than it needs to and things wont fit and don't mount true, either. :p We're talking about differences that are more than just a price tag and name.

It's not the "best" gear, it's the gear made correctly to do the job correctly. You are not going to see a lot of UTG rails and accessories on LMT, Noveske, or Colt AR's... guys who buy them generally would have been much better served laying off the "cool" junk and getting a better rifle to start with.

We expect our stuff to work, and work correctly. For any given AR part, there is a minimum amount cost/accuracy/materials/precision that it takes to get the job done to a minimum standard. For some of us, YHM does not meet that standard. (I think they make some good products, don't get me wrong - but the FF's are not one of them) If all you need is a 2 piece non FF rail for a light and foregrip, yes, they can get the job done... but for a tad more you can get used KAC RAS's, so why bother?

Look at it in terms of red dot optics, where the price difference is more extreme; under $100 for a cheap red dot setup, $500 for an Aimpoint setup. People piss and moan all the time that people saying not to waste your money on anything less than an EoTech/Aimpoint are "elitists", but the simple fact of the matter is that a <$100 red dot is crap, and so unreliable as to add no serious functional benefit to the rifle. You simply can not have a red dot of any quality for that amount of money, any more than you can have a decent new pickup truck for $3000. You're literally better off spending your money on something else or saving it, but some people simply HAVE to have all the tacti-cool crap on their rifles, and so there is a market for cheap shit that looks the same if you squint.

Part of it is that people simply don't understand what things cost, why they cost that much, and what they're getting for their money; the other part is people who make impulse buys and then feel the need to defend their purchases.

bkb0000
11-19-08, 10:40
...but for a tad more you can get used KAC RAS's, so why bother?

where? I love used shit, but cant ever seem to find it.. every ONCE in a while there's used shit on gunbroker and ebay, but they get gobbled up quick.

a1fabweld
11-19-08, 11:00
I personally like the Daniel Defense Lite Rail over all the others on the market. The continuous top rail is functional & I don't like how the Larue, DD M4, & others fasten with a large nut that breaks up the handguard from the upper receiver. I'm sure it's very solid by design but the Lite Rail is solid as well & provides a continuous top rail.

Solomon
11-19-08, 11:03
SWS makes another quality rail. Noveske uses a customized version of them on his non-VIS models.

SWS was mentioned earlier in this thread - just trying to keep the name out there as another brand to consider.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-19-08, 13:04
I don't like to spend my money so that the rifle weighs more than it needs to and things wont fit and don't mount true, either. :p We're talking about differences that are more than just a price tag and name.

He said several times that he doesn't care about the weight. I know Dave personally, he's used to some pretty heavy combat loads, so a heavy AR for training or 3-gun is not a concern for him. Me on the other hand? I'm a weakling, so i like DD rails. if you're humping a whole bunch of other gear +IBA w/SAPI, yeah the weight makes a bigger difference, but if all you have is a couple mags or a LBV, the weight for some people isnt an issue. for me it would be, but apparently its not a problem for everyone.

The rifle in question has a TA31F in a LT mount. If he wanted a LT rail he'd have one. On that rifle he doesn't feel like he needs one. He's acknowledged that the LT rails will have better support and are probably superior in just about every way, except for price. He only uses a VFG on it, so it doesn't need to mount true. Why bother attacking his position? He's already said LT is better, but he doesn't see the need to equip LT rails on every AR he owns. maybe some people here do want LT rails on all their ARs. that's fine too.

gpo1956
11-19-08, 20:41
+1 Suicide

GPO you might want to look around a while before you start running off at the keyboard.

FWIW: I'm embarrassed for you.

Guys, I am in no way a bad*ss, operator, swat guy or anything remotely resembling that. I have, however, been fortunate enough to meet several. General James Gavin 82nd AB (youngest Divisonal Commanding General in WW II), Carlos Hathcock, Bill Jordan and Maurice "Footsie" Britt (Medal of Honor and former Lt Governor of Arkansas). I can't imagine the self righteous crap coming from those guys that you hear on these boards. Ban me if you like, but don't expect me to roll over and be awed by a bunch of people I've never met just because they have a large number of posts on these boards or are parroting whatever the latest tactical guru has to say. And you're embarrassed for me?!!!
What a gunsel!

bkb0000
11-19-08, 20:50
General James Gavin 82nd AB (youngest Divisonal Commanding General in WW II), Carlos Hathcock, Bill Jordan and Maurice "Footsie" Britt (Medal of Honor and former Lt Governor of Arkansas). I can't imagine the self righteous crap coming from those guys that you hear on these boards.!

Who the hell are they?

bkb0000
11-19-08, 20:56
blablalblablablalblablablablablablablabla!

the reason I can't get on board with the idea that everyone around here is over-elistist and "roll playing" "postulating" etc... or that we're self-righteous- because there's really only three topics that make people freak out- chinese crap, optics in general, and handguards.

for some reason, people are ****in passionate about NOT buying chinese crap, optics and handguards.

if it's a question as to what lower receiver is "best," most guy will say "which one's cheaper?"

if the question is "which FA BCG should i get?" the answer is "which one's cheaper? get whatever's in stock."

ask about ammo, "what's your need? get what's cheap and local"

even with regard to what kind of upper to get, you'll generally hear people ask what the needs are, and suggest things that are priced and built appropriately to the question...

so all this BULL SHIT about everyone here being total phony pretentious ****s is basically baseless.

just don't ask about optics, chinese shit, or handguards.

Don Robison
11-19-08, 21:00
Guys, I am in no way a bad*ss, operator, swat guy or anything remotely resembling that. I have, however, been fortunate enough to meet several. General James Gavin 82nd AB (youngest Divisonal Commanding General in WW II), Carlos Hathcock, Bill Jordan and Maurice "Footsie" Britt (Medal of Honor and former Lt Governor of Arkansas). I can't imagine the self righteous crap coming from those guys that you hear on these boards. Ban me if you like, but don't expect me to roll over and be awed by a bunch of people I've never met just because they have a large number of posts on these boards or are parroting whatever the latest tactical guru has to say. And you're embarrassed for me?!!!
What a gunsel!

Have fun playing your name dropping dick swinging game by yourself.:rolleyes:

ETA: Almost forgot, welcome to the forum:D:p

USMGoldenEagle
11-19-08, 21:24
I purchased a DD Omega 7 rail. I am happy with it. I have never seen the YHM or the Larue. I too have often wondered if the large price difference was in fact worth it.

I have noticed that there are a lot of "fan boys" when it comes to brands. I am not partial to any one particular brand, but I am a fan of quality. The big question here is if there is a difference in quality or if it is just priced higher for the gullible "fan boys".

I think the only way to know is to see them side by side.

bkb0000
11-19-08, 21:37

well then you're in for a treat

bad experience? do share.

well i haven't used any YHM stuff, but I'm gonna. as soon as i decide on a barrel length for my "cheap gun" build i'm gonna order one up........

.........i'll even do some testing... i'll bang it around some, benchrest it, pull a barrel temp reading, pop it off and put on a DD, bang it around some and benchrest it, and get a barrel temp again. i suspect i'll get the same groups and that it wont break under a moderate beating. we'll see about heat. if someone wants to send me a larue i'll test it too.

SuicideHz
11-19-08, 22:19
I purchased a DD Omega 7 rail. I am happy with it. I have never seen the YHM or the Larue. I too have often wondered if the large price difference was in fact worth it.

I have noticed that there are a lot of "fan boys" when it comes to brands. I am not partial to any one particular brand, but I am a fan of quality. The big question here is if there is a difference in quality or if it is just priced higher for the gullible "fan boys".

Ok then. It seems MOST of us are in a position to KNOW what the F we are talking about since we HAVE and we have stated we HAVE.

There are a few running around, saying the only rail that they've owned is a YHM and it's "good enough."

ALWAYS trust the guy with more experience than the guy who has only experienced ONE of the choices...

Dave_M
11-19-08, 23:01
There are a few running around, saying the only rail that they've owned is a YHM and it's "good enough."

I suppose I am the exception then. If it's just for a white light and a VFG, a YHM will work just fine

If however, you see yourself in the future forward-mounting optics, you may as well spend the money on a higher quality rail.

kukang
11-20-08, 00:36
Here's my hypothetical situation for you guys. Take your pick. A select fire M4 (Colt BCG and LPK) with YHM rails or a LMT semi auto AR-15 with LaRue rails?

Answers please! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Alaskapopo
11-20-08, 03:41
Here's my hypothetical situation for you guys. Take your pick. A select fire M4 (Colt BCG and LPK) with YHM rails or a LMT semi auto AR-15 with LaRue rails?

The Select Fire. Then I would sell it and buys lots of toys.
pat

rob_s
11-20-08, 05:03
This thread makes my head hurt. So far, both sides of the argument here have been extremely weak. What I do hate seeing is the YHM crowd insinuating that they're anything OTHER than the posers they accuse everyone else of being simply because they bought cheap.

If you don't understand why a Larue rail costs more than a YHM rail, then you'll probably be perfectly happy (for awhile) with a YHM rail.

Buy what makes you happy, try to make an educated purchase, stay within your budget and don't go into debt over it, and use it until it breaks.

The YHM crowd needs to realize that there are quite a few members of this forum that HAVE owned and used the YHM products, or who supervise others in using that product, and have had problems with them coming loose, not fitting certain accessories, etc. Just because YOU lack the experience to make an informed decision on your own doesn't mean that someone else here doesn't. If you don't want to believe someone on the internet that's your business.

The "high end" crowd needs to realize that some people acknowledge that they aren't going to ever push their rifle past whatever happens at the shooting benches at the public range on any given Saturday. Give them your experiences and advice, and then just walk away. Either they will eventually push their gear and have problems, or they won't. Either way why the hell do you care what kind of rail he has on his gun?

My personal opinion, based on my own experience with YHM products in general (and their customer service, which is a whole 'nother topic) is that I would PERSONALLY stick with the plastic stock handguards rather than buy a YHM product that doesn't suit my needs on any front. This is based on having YHM rails that won't fit certain accessories, buying used accessories from others that have been forever ruined by being relieved to fit YHM rails, seeing firsthand YHM rails come loose on the range, and the aforementioned customer service (or lack thereof).

bullitt5172
11-20-08, 06:57

That makes no sense. No one would make that decision based on a railed forend :rolleyes:

Don Robison
11-20-08, 07:42
That makes no sense. No one would make that decision based on a railed forend :rolleyes:

Apparently he would.:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

USMGoldenEagle
11-20-08, 08:47

Adding to what I stated earlier, I do trust a lot of the guys on here because of your experience with many of the products already. The OP is going to formulate his own opinion and make his decision. If he does go with the YHM and has a bad experience hopefully he will post his review on here to help other guys in the future.

My experience with DD has been great so far. This thread reminds me of that quote I have heard people say.....how does it go?

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the memory of cheap price."

El Mac
11-20-08, 09:14

The LMT.

rob_s
11-20-08, 09:18
"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the memory of cheap price."

That's close but not exactly right.

If you find the exact quote, let me know because I'm going to put it on the front page of my site.

kukang
11-20-08, 10:02
The LMT.

Right on! Buy semi auto LMT w LaRue rails. It is superior to select fire Colt w/ YHM rails. ;)

kukang
11-20-08, 10:04

Yup I did. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

kukang
11-20-08, 10:05
The Select Fire. Then I would sell it and buys lots of toys.
pat

That is certainly an option no doubt...............

zchen
11-20-08, 10:17
That's close but not exactly right.

If you find the exact quote, let me know because I'm going to put it on the front page of my site.

The original quote is

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." it is attributed to John Ruskin

rob_s
11-20-08, 10:30
The original quote is

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." it is attributed to John Ruskin

Thank you. added it to the top of my main page! :D

USMGoldenEagle
11-20-08, 12:10
The original quote is

Yeah I love that quote. I need to start using it at work more.

mmike87
11-20-08, 12:16
ask about ammo, "what's your need? get what's cheap and local"

Just don't ask about Wolf ammo ... ;)

boltcatch
11-20-08, 13:11
I'm going to use some poor guy as an example.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=119&t=606531

Now,

He bought the plastic CAA non-FF railed handguard. No doubt he is now going to go buy a YHM freefloat, as he indicates. For what he paid for everything shipped, he nearly could have bought a LaRue rail instead, and most certainly could have picked up a KAC RAS for the same or cheaper than what is he spending overall.

This is a textbook example of the sort of thing that wants to make me bang my head against the wall. It is also why there are millions of people who make 2x as much as I do who are "poor", while I am not.

a1fabweld
11-20-08, 13:17
What about Wolf ammo?:D JK!

gpo1956
12-26-08, 09:04
Have fun playing your name dropping dick swinging game by yourself.:rolleyes:

ETA: Almost forgot, welcome to the forum:D:p

Would someone please explain to this idiot that everytime he opens his mouth , he further proves my point?

Don Robison
12-26-08, 12:13
Would someone please explain to this idiot that everytime he opens his mouth , he further proves my point?

Feel free to explain it yourself.
I apologize if I bruised your mangina, but your attitude and arrogance are both funny and embarrassing at the same time. I'm not worried about what a nameless, faceless blowhard on the internet thinks of me. :rolleyes:

Have a nice day.

Saginaw79
12-26-08, 12:43
I may have to join BKB in this experiment. Ive contemplated a new build and it needs a FF

I was also looking at YHM, or MI

olds442tyguy
12-26-08, 13:40
FWIW, I recently looked at YHM's new rail system in person. Supposedly the rails are in spec and it has an anti-rotation device in it. Over all quality and feel felt 110% better than the YHM rails of old. EDIT: They also felt lighter, but my hand scale could be off.

http://yankeehill.bizland.com/store/media/Diamond_Forearms.jpg

That said, MI's are cheap, and DD is top dog.

Edit 2: I honestly think YHM is trying to turn themselves around as a company. Surprisingly their rifles are available with a chrome lined 1/7 twist barrel, and the guy who showed me the rail said he checked out one of their uppers and was impressed with it. He specifically said he wouldn't be buying one for himself, but that he'd take the YHM over RRA or BM.

I think if they continue down this path they could be a viable product in the future (like CD for example). JMO though.

Kaos
12-26-08, 15:11
I have a carbine length YHM Lightweight FF tube on my carbine.

I built the gun as a "beater" to see how quick it would fail with cheap parts. So (this being my first AR) I set out a list of parts I needed and quickly proceeded to try and get it so the cost was under or around $400.

At the time I didn't care for rifles and really enjoyed shooting pistols more than anything, I was on a budget and it seemed like a fun project.

I ended up with a free upper(oly), a free BC (unknown mfg, chrome lined on the inside though), a used colt bolt, a new YHM FF tube for about half price, an ace arfx stock on an anvil arms lower with a dpms kit in it and a wilson barrel. Final price with shipping and ffl was only $425.

I've had the YHM on there for more than a year, probably about 2k rounds down the tube. When I installed it I used lithium grease on the threads, a torque wrench to get it "in the zone" etc. The model I have came with locking screws to keep the tube from rotating. About a month ago I traded a romy g AK kit for a compML2 LNIB, which I placed in a LT-129 mount.

As the upper I have is A1 (being replaced as soon as the brown truck shows up) I had no choice but to mount it on the YHM for the time being. As I had never had an optic on this rifle before I never noticed a little wobble. The solution was to tighten up the side screws and I used a punchdown tool with a flat blade to give the locking ring the extra oooomph it needed. Another note, dont install larue mounts in the very first two slots on the rail, the optic WILL move easily...move it up one notch...and you're in business.

I zeroed from the bench, unloaded, threw the rifle down range about 10 yards out (i was alone), retrieved it and took two more shots...it was still zeroed.

My only wish is that it weren't so bulky, other than that I have no complaints.

With that being said, I'd buy from them again if they had a set that weren't so bulky...but will be buying larue in a matter of months to replace this as I'm rebuilding and going for a little more quality, some weight savings...and Im going to midlength.

Im not an "operator" but I do put value into giving products a chance to make, break, and retake a good name for themselves.

Saginaw79
12-26-08, 17:04
FWIW, I recently looked at YHM's new rail system in person. Supposedly the rails are in spec and it has an anti-rotation device in it. Over all quality and feel felt 110% better than the YHM rails of old. EDIT: They also felt lighter, but my hand scale could be off.

http://yankeehill.bizland.com/store/media/Diamond_Forearms.jpg

Those are nice. I may use one for my next project just to see and it helps as Im always on a budget

NavyDavy55
01-24-10, 10:53
Great I just ordered a Yankee Hill Manufacturing Two Piece AR15 M4 Carbine Customizable Handguard.

I didn't want a free float on carbine so the 2 piece is fine.

The flat feel of the round rail instead of the cheese grader feel of a four rail system seems more appealing too.

Hope I like it.

And I plan to put a TangoDown Vertical Foredrip on it. Have to use some KY. :)

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25008/Product/AR_15_CUSTOMIZABLE_2_PIECE_CARBINE_HANDGUARD
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/l_100002896_1.jpg

bkb0000
01-24-10, 11:14
Great I just ordered a Yankee Hill Manufacturing Two Piece AR15 M4 Carbine Customizable Handguard.

I didn't want a free float on carbine so the 2 piece is fine.

The flat feel of the round rail instead of the cheese grader feel of a four rail system seems more appealing too.

Hope I like it.

And I plan to put a TangoDown Vertical Foredrip on it. Have to use some KY. :)

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25008/Product/AR_15_CUSTOMIZABLE_2_PIECE_CARBINE_HANDGUARD
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/l_100002896_1.jpg

how the hell do you put covers on that? hope your gloves are thick

usmcvet
01-24-10, 15:53
I've only used two rails a Sure Fire M73 and now a Troy DI, both carbine length. I've never wanted to do any permanent modifications to my weapon or my issue weapon. I started looking for a QD sling swivel mount to add to my SF rail. I was frustrated after checking the internet including SF’s website for a
Sling swivel to attach to the SF rail so I called Sure Fire about the female threads on their rail.
I was surprised and disappointed to learn SF did not recommend using a sling on their rail at all and the threads were an addition that just dd not work out.

I was disappointed until I found Troy. I love my Troy DI rail even with out the four screws installed it was very solid and their customer service was awesome. I bought the rail direct from Troy for ($149) less than I paid for the SF rail years ago. The addition of 4 QD mounts was awes some. I quickly became annoyed with the full 360 degree turning of the QD sling mount and the attached sling, My rifle rides in a rifle case 98% of the time and the sling is often screwed up when I go to take the weapon out. Enter the DD Omega rail for my new BCM midlength carbine, To me extra cost is an issue but the fact that my sling will be ready and in the correct position when I need it will be worth it. Until then a pair of RRA middy hand guards are on the rifle in the safe.

I will keep the Troy rail, it is a good piece of equipment, I gave the SF rail to a buddy I work with. I love surefire lights and have used them since 1992 but if the company tells me I can not put a sling on their rail I'm not impressed with that product and would not recommend it to any one who wanted to mount a sling on their weapon with a rail system. This along with a light was the only reason I wanted a rail on my gun!

Can any one tell me how far the DD will allow the QD sling mounts to spin?

So I am not talking about a YHM rail vs. a LaRue rail but here but I agree you do get what you pay for. As long as you walk into your purchase with both eyes open and know what you are buying go for it.

The information shared here on this site has saved me ass ache and money! I would not have known about the benefits of many items with out doing some reading here. If you do not want to hear what other people, some with strong opinions, have to say do not waste your time or ours.

S391
01-24-10, 17:32
Are most LaRue railed fore ends $50 cheaper than similar DDs or are you looking at a Lite rail compared to LT's standard rail?

I had ONE YHM carbine free float rail. I could barely get anything to fit without forcing it. It was cheaply parkerized and it actually loosened up several times. Putting KAC panels on it was a joke. The edges were sharp and annoying and really fouled up the foam I custom cut in my starlight case.

I cannot speak to the experience you had with your YHM rail but I have had just the opposite. My rail is solid, everything fits on it, it is NOT sharp and I've had zero issues with it moving around.

That said, DD and LaRue make fantastic products but everyone has to figure out for themselves if something "is worth it". To some, the DD / LaRue rail is more than worth it but to others like myself (I'm not an operator, I have 2 kids in private school, and I mainly use my AR for targets / IDPA side matches / etc) the YHM rail more than does the job.

kaiservontexas
01-24-10, 18:14
Another in for LaRue.

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww256/crusaderwyn/Projekt%20AR/DSC01689.jpg

Granted the entire upper receiver is all LaRue, DMR 16". As a Texan I am glad that not only do I have a Texas company to support, but they make good kit. :D

"Live free or die."

Oh eventually I will add an Aimpoint with a LaRue mount, but currently I have dental work to worry about when it comes to money spent. Gotta take care of those chompers.

organdonor
01-24-10, 18:39
worth more? yeah. worth 250% more? no.

glocktogo
01-24-10, 18:56
worth more? yeah. worth 250% more? no.

I tend to think most AR kit is overpriced, but that may be a function of being an old fart and feeling like everything is overpriced these days. Having had a YHM that I got rid of and a DD that I'll likely never get rid of, I for one feel like it's worth 2.5 times what one I'd never have again is. I'm sure the same would apply to the Larue if I were to get one. I do have a Larue Aimpoint mount and feel the same way about it vs. the GG&G I got rid of.

I guess everything is relative.

organdonor
01-24-10, 20:01
I tend to think most AR kit is overpriced, but that may be a function of being an old fart and feeling like everything is overpriced these days. Having had a YHM that I got rid of and a DD that I'll likely never get rid of, I for one feel like it's worth 2.5 times what one I'd never have again is. I'm sure the same would apply to the Larue if I were to get one. I do have a Larue Aimpoint mount and feel the same way about it vs. the GG&G I got rid of.

I guess everything is relative.larue makes quality products. my m4 used to sport a dd omega rail and it was a quality piece... $250, though? you are definitely paying some for their name when the little guys get everything done for less than half the price; albeit to a lower standard. i won't dissuade anyone from buying larue or troy or dd because you get what you pay for. that doesn't mean that i don't disagree with their pricing.

orionz06
01-24-10, 20:09
write down your needs/requirements. other than price, which rail meets more of those needs?

weight, length, strength, installation, rigidity, size (diameter), etc...

usmcvet
01-24-10, 21:09
write down your needs/requirements. other than price, which rail meets more of those needs?

weight, length, strength, installation, rigidity, size (diameter), etc...

That is good advice.

+1 on the LaRue aimpoint mount, love mine.

bkb0000
01-25-10, 00:39

I guess everything is relative.

larue makes quality products. my m4 used to sport a dd omega rail and it was a quality piece... $250, though? you are definitely paying some for their name when the little guys get everything done for less than half the price; albeit to a lower standard. i won't dissuade anyone from buying larue or troy or dd because you get what you pay for. that doesn't mean that i don't disagree with their pricing.

things are only worth what people will pay for them. i vaguely remember the sticker-shock i felt when i first got into ARs, and it's slowly just gotten more than more expensive every year. i'm so used to builds running in excess of $1500 that, these days, that's pretty much the minimum i expect to spend on a pretty basic carbine.

every time a new innovative product comes out, the whole game gets a little more expensive.. a decade later, you look around and realize you have more invested in one platform than you put down on your house.

larue handguards are actually not that expensive, comparatively speaking. some of DD's rails retail for over $400, and KAC's got some at over $500

Alaskapopo
01-25-10, 00:42
I cannot speak to the experience you had with your YHM rail but I have had just the opposite. My rail is solid, everything fits on it, it is NOT sharp and I've had zero issues with it moving around.

That said, DD and LaRue make fantastic products but everyone has to figure out for themselves if something "is worth it". To some, the DD / LaRue rail is more than worth it but to others like myself (I'm not an operator, I have 2 kids in private school, and I mainly use my AR for targets / IDPA side matches / etc) the YHM rail more than does the job.

A friend of mine has YHC rails on his guns. Both are heavy, fat and the rails don't match up with the receiver rails in height. Personally I think they are crap. Yea they free float the barrel and stuff will mount on it. But their ergonomics are terrible.
Pat

vampiresharpshooter
01-25-10, 00:53
If you are going to a one way square range anything will work so cheaper may be better. If you are going to a two way one the quality and specs. of your gear are more important. Larue is as good as it gets.

Is this your first time in North America, or is that the way you talk?

SWATcop556
01-25-10, 01:46
Is this your first time in North America, or is that the way you talk?

Hell of a first post. :rolleyes:

I prefer the Larue rails for several reasons and price and function are only two. The DD Lite rails will be going on my next rifle.

I have used YHM and MI rails before and they were shit. Out of spec, sharp, shot loose (the YHM after only three mags worth of drills). If I could have back the money I've spent on shit gear trying to see what works for me, I could have a few more high-quality "elitist" rifles in my safe.

DD or Larue for me.

newguy
01-25-10, 02:46

I have a YHM on a bushmaster all rails are in spec looks good fits man size hands does yours shoot 3/4 moa @100yds or are you still saving for your first ar

Alaskapopo
01-25-10, 02:49
I have a YHM on a bushmaster all rails are in spec looks good fits man size hands does yours shoot 3/4 moa @100yds or are you still saving for your first ar

What so if you think the YHM rails are too big you have non man hands. Sure. The fact is they are way over sized.
Pat

SWATcop556
01-25-10, 03:23

I usually refrain from quoting people that exibit jackass behavior but I'm making an exception.

If you choose to be a pole-smoker to people and base it off of your BM and your man hands you might want to rethink your approach. No one gives a **** whether your BM shoots 3/4 MOA at 100 yards or if dick beaters are larger than life.

People who have posted their negative opinions about YHM have been based off of first hand experiences. It's not just Internet fanboys circle-jerking over the latest and greatest. I'd like to know your background and first hand experiences with the other mentioned rail systems.

And next time you choose to insult someone here, try using proper English and sentence structure instead of a rambling run-on sentence that would insult a second grader.

Boss Hogg
01-25-10, 07:52
I find YHM's rails too thick.

I do, however, like their freefloat tubes very much. A very compelling value. I say that as an owner of 2 x DD rails and 4 x LT rails.

Toonces
01-25-10, 09:55
I have a mid-length YHM on a RRA 9mm that I bought in 2006, long before I found this forum. Between M4, Rob_S, and actually shooting this gun; I probably wouldn't have a RRA or a 9mm if I had known then what I know now.

I have no other rails to compare it to, but it is too fat for comfort with my hands. It measures 2.43" across the flats. How does this compare to DD/Larue?

For my taste, the gun is overly muzzle heavy. I don't know if that is from the rail, barrel contour, or railed gas block. Probably all three.

I don't know what you guys consider sharp, but the rail has been vibradined. There is nothing that a machinist would call sharp. Nobody who has shot the gun has been cut in its limited use. However, I can see how my opinion might change if I were a hard user.

The top rail on the tube is 0.004" below the rail on the receiver. I have no idea how close it should be, but that is pretty close for a joint with a couple sets of threads. I thought you weren't supposed to span that gap, so what does this affect?

Dimensionally, it comes up pretty good when checked with a dial caliper and depth micrometer, except for one height. I cannot do a full inspection of all features at home, so I don't know how the rest of the features stack up. Going off of pages 8 and 9 from the link below, I took a few minutes and checked the following dimensions:

0.835 - 0.005 overall width = measured OK
0.367 min rail height to shoulder = measured 0.324
0.617 - 0.010 base width = measured OK
0.206 + 0.008 recoil groove width = measured OK
0.118 + 0.008 recoil groove depth = measured 0.126 to 0.136
0.394 (basic) groove to groove = estimated ok

http://www.quarterbore.com/library/pdf_files/mil-std-1913.pdf

It is what it is: fat, heavy, and inexpensive. The 0.367 min rail height to shoulder is off by a lot. 0.040 is a mile in the machining world. I would love to have the rails and mounts from the guys that had stuff fall off. I would measure them until I found the problem. With the proper tools, I doubt it would take very long to find the discrepancy.

If the whole theory of 95% of the ARs are good enough for 95% of the owners is true, there are a lot of happy owners out there. This is like Craftsman or Allen brand tools instead of Snap-On. I'm not betting my life on this rifle, so I should be in the 95%, but I wouldn't buy it again if I decided I really wanted a 9mm. As usual, you get what you pay for.

docsherm
01-25-10, 11:02
I had a DPMS rifle with an YHM Rail many years ago. I did not know too much about the AR, besides what the US Army teaches. It was OK, for what I used it for, paper shooting and that is it. It did loosen up all of the time. It was a 12" rail so my flip up front sight was useless. It was never zeroed. After my experience with YHM I will never buy another YHM product again. I know more about the AR and I do all of my own builds now. When I build I only use top end products. I am not going to stick by one company because that is the coolest thing according to everyone at the time. I get parts that are time tested and the QC process is the best. I look at the QC process, MPI testing, type of material, life span, and versatility. Yes the prices are a little more. Is the final product that much better? Yes it is. Does it take me much longer to build an AR because I have to save my money to get a quality part? Yes it does. I will stand by every build I have done. As a matter of fact I will only build an AR if the final product is good enough to stake my life on it. By this I mean will I take it into Combat. Last year I was in the Stan and I used one of my uppers. Tested and it passed. I use LaRue Tactical rails and yes they are worth it.

I have 4 M4s and I have 3 LaRue rail and a DD Lite. The only reason that I have a DD Lite is because LaRue does not make a rail with a front sight cut out. Is the DD Lite a good quality rail? Yes it is. Would I swap it with a LT rail when LT starts to make one with a FSP Cut out? HELL YES, I hope you read this Mark. :D

By the way if an YHM rail cost $100 new 250% more would be $25,000. Check your math.
And yes I understand this is a two year old post.

01-25-10, 11:04
delete

bkb0000
01-25-10, 11:53
By the way if an YHM rail cost $100 new 250% more would be $25,000. Check your math.

um, partner... 250%, changed to decimal, is 2.5... 2.5 x 100 = 250

docsherm
01-25-10, 15:36
um, partner... 250%, changed to decimal, is 2.5... 2.5 x 100 = 250

WOW!!!

That is what I get for posing right after running 6 miles.......blood had not returned to my brain yet. :p

Never mind....:rolleyes:

The rest of it is good, I just reread it.

Facepuncher
01-25-10, 17:21
Larue/DD = Levi's

YHM = Walmart brand jeans

Both do the same thing but one is just nicer.

I have a 9.0 DD Lite rail and it is awesome. It is probably overkill though because my rifle is a total range queen and is never subjected to serious use or harsh conditions. A friend has a carbine YHM rail, and a midlength version of it would probably be completely adequate for my purposes. His feels nice and tight and fit his rifle just fine.

But I do not regret buying the DD rail one bit. It is so light that it feels like it almost isn't there. It has a really nice dark black finish that matches my receiver nicely. Accessories fit perfectly and easily.

It really comes down to the kind of rifle you are building, and what you value. You should not cut corners anywhere else on the rifle to afford a nice rail system. I think the money would be better spent towards a quality receiver mounted optic personally, if you had to choose.

If you are going all out and want a top-shelf rifle then the difference in quality is worth the extra money. If you just want to put a VFG and light on your $700 DPMS then YHM is the way to go.

lanceriley
01-25-10, 17:34
my first rail is a DD Lite Rail 7.0 yes I would agree the build quality is great. I chose it because of the great reviews. I really began appreciating it when some of my friends chose the other brands like YHM and MI. it really has big difference. aesthetically and size. as for the Larue. I've only seen it once. although heavier than the DD it was very sturdy and I would gladly buy one next time... maybe for an SPR project.

Showbart
03-16-10, 18:15
My first post.

You wanna know what I think?

Don't matter what I think.

Sparky5019
03-16-10, 18:19
I had the YHM and replaced it with the LaRue! It sits closer to the barrel yielding a more compact and lighter gun that points better and besides...the LT is 10x the quality of the YHM!

Sparky

Showbart
03-16-10, 18:22
My first post.

Seriously. This is about YHM. It's not about LT.

I'm ordering a complete YHM rig. 14.5" 5.56mm w/ customizable carbine handguard. I'll let you know how it rates.

kwelz
03-16-10, 18:22
What the hell is up with all the troll posts in this thread.

bkb0000
03-16-10, 18:38
My first post.

this ain't the Mog, Hoot.

usmcvet
03-17-10, 01:08
I called LaRue today with a question about their BUS. I had the question answered quickly and thoroughly and spoke with Brian about several other issues and learned a few more things. Awesome customer service/knowledge. That is worth quite a bit to me. Their gear is top notch and its priced accordingly. Check the EE out and look for a used rail. There are some wicked deals out there.

crazymoose
03-17-10, 03:15
In most cases, YHM will do the job. LaRue will do it better. Like everything else, the law of diminishing returns comes into play. I have a couple of YHM rails. Not terrible, not the best around, either.

If brand X gives you capabilities that brand Y does not, and you need those capabilities, then price should be out of the equation. LaRue is lighter, tougher, has QD attachment sockets, and it ****ing says "Live Free or Die."

FWIW, I'm an VLTOR and SWS man, so I feel kinda-sorta impartial saying this.

Alaskapopo
03-17-10, 03:16
I hate YHC rails a friend of mine has two of them. Neither of them lines up with his upper receiver so mounting a rail mounted front sight was a pain. Luckily the MOE sight had just enough adjustment to make it.
Pat

dcs12345
03-17-10, 09:35
I hate YHC rails a friend of mine has two of them. Neither of them lines up with his upper receiver so mounting a rail mounted front sight was a pain. Luckily the MOE sight had just enough adjustment to make it.
Pat

Is this YHM's fault (Rail out of spec) or your friend's (Poor install)? Did he use some thing to bridge the upper and the YHM rails to make sure that they were inline or did he just eyeball it?

S391
03-17-10, 09:42
I know I posted earlier but I just wanted to add a quick follow-up. I had an YHM free float rail on my AR and it did everything just fine. It didn't twist, break or flex and I consider it a good buy for the money.

However, I have since gone with a Daniel Defense Omega X rail and I consider it a much better product for a couple of reasons:

A) Super simple to install.

B) Much thinner diameter. With the YHM I felt like I was holding a softball bat and it was worse once you put rail covers on it.

C) The Omega X is a full 12" rail that still allows me to use the stock front sight and it saved me the cost of having to buy a new one.

D) I know it may sound trite but the little things with the DD rail were pretty nice. Better install instructions, they included full ladder covers and the unit had much better packaging, etc. Once again, it was the little things….

Overall I would have to agree with a former member where he said that the YHM rail works but there are others that do it better.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/S682/Best_one_yet.jpg

Showbart
03-17-10, 11:45
this ain't the Mog, Hoot.

Good.

Couldn't resist, it was playing in the other room.

Showbart
03-17-10, 13:20
I discovered this forum in time to make the correct choice on the purchase of my next new M4 type. Was first set on a Colt, have had many. Then Bravo but they were out of alot of stuff, then leaned towards DD. I didn't want a quad rail but wanted alum free float for maybe a white light. Really wanted flip front/rear sights. Was suprised that DD neither configured nor sold any flips. Then I convinced myself that, since I'm just a Civvie shooter, a mid level maker's rifle would be fine, that it didn't HAVE to be Colt, BCM or DD. Then I went to YHM. It does SEEM like alot of rifle for the money, features that I want and all that. Hang said features on a SW or BM and it's a $1500 price tag.

But then I came back here and searched some more and read all this thread. There are 2 camps and as usual I fall in the middle. But I threw on the brakes and didn't order the upper from YHM. I ordered a 14.5" middy complete, yes with PLASTIC handguards, from BCM. The complete lower I have coming is still a YHM, factory assembled multi caliber, nothing I can do about that. Rationale being that it would essentially have been all YHM factory rifle. Still don't have my flip front sight tho. And truth is, never needed a free float. But the more I thought about it the more I leaned towards the one camp; that quality costs a little more. Doesn't have to be alot, but sometimes it might.

I've been around guns alot (all these internet places too, same username). I've collected guns, sold guns, competed a little, practiced alot. I've had a dozen ARs, dozens more mil rifles, over 20 years, but I've been without for a little while. Never really concerned myself so much as I have lately with the idea of a SHTF situation. But with a lovely wife and two young boys I WILL BE putting 4 M4s in the safe. And they WILL BE....Colts, BCMs and DDs.

Man, now I have to research and decide on an optic. And what about 6.8, 6.5...?? Oh let's not go there.

Alaskapopo
03-17-10, 14:16
Is this YHM's fault (Rail out of spec) or your friend's (Poor install)? Did he use some thing to bridge the upper and the YHM rails to make sure that they were inline or did he just eyeball it?

The rail he has is lower than the upper receiver. A gunsmith installed it.

usmcvet
03-17-10, 17:45
I started with good high quality iron back up sights and one used Aimpoint M3 in a LaRue mount purchased at a great price on the Equipment Exchange. With the QD mount I could swap it between my work gun and two personal guns. When and if you need to you can add more scopes as needed.

GermanSynergy
03-17-10, 19:49

You get a proven rail that will be in spec, not rotate or spin, and comes with dillo Dust. :)

m1a_scoutguy
03-18-10, 00:01

I agree also,,I installed a YHM Diamond 9 inch rail on my recent build and all went fine. I have about 500 rds throught the gun with no problems yet,,time will tell I guess ! I do beleive ya get what ya pay for,,but I got a good deal on the rail & it looks good and seems to do what it is supposed to do !!! If it falls off or breaks in half at the range I'll let ya know !!! ;)