PDA

View Full Version : AR Build Thoughts

basykes
09-20-19, 05:07
Hello all.

Currently working on "building" my first AR15 (first bought and/or built). How does this set up sound to all the fanatics on here ;)

-BCM BFH 16" Mid Length (ENHANCED Light Weight) Upper Receiver Group w/ BCM MCMR-13 Handguard

-SIONICS Gutless Lower Receiver Assembly (with the SIONICS 2 stage trigger and mag catch assembly options)

-Daniel Defense Collapsible Buttstock

-Daniel Defense Overmolded Pistol Grip

-Magpul Industries MLOK Angled Foregrip

I realize this isn't building an AR as much as putting together the already complete parts, but what do y'all think? good rifle set up? thoughts or suggestions? It will be an all purpose tool, everything from range shooting to self defense.

Eurodriver
09-20-19, 05:24
I’m absolutely stunned that someone would willingly buy Daniel Defense furniture.

Stunned.

basykes
09-20-19, 05:44
As I said, first AR. I would really appreciate it if you would let me know why, and what a good replacement would be. (not being sassy, I honestly want to know. from what I've read it seemed to have a good reputation)

JediGuy
09-20-19, 06:29
Well, if you absolutely do not want to purchase your first rifle complete, you’re going about things the right way.

You are missing a very important part: the bolt carrier group (BCG). My suggestion would be to order with the BCM upper. If you want a cool one, Sionics has their NP3 BCG.

Also, you will need a charging handle. I suggest getting the Radian Raptor or Raptor LT on sale. Or just order from BCM with the upper.

Finally, you will need a sighting solution. I suggest the Daniel Defense fixed set. You can then keep these in place when you run a red dot, so you have redundancy. If you are planning to use a low power variable optic (LPVO), any set of folding sights will work, though I like the Magpul Pro set,

On the DD furniture, I personally like how they look, but the grip feels too narrow for my hand to be comfortable. The stock gets some hate. But overall, there’s nothing wrong with the DD furniture and you could always sell the set if you decide to try something different.
Personally, the best furniture is the Magpul SL-S stock and K2 grip.

Regarding the angled fore grip, I had one for a while, but eventually removed. It isn’t necessary.

Also, not sure if Sionics would let you order the lower with an A5 receiver extension, but if they do, that would be the preferred choice.

basykes
09-20-19, 06:40
Thanks for the reply! Ya I forgot to mention, I am indeed getting both the BCG and the charging handle with the BCM upper. I will look into those sights. What's the reason for the hate on the stock? Is it flimsy or weak? Thank you.

GH41
09-20-19, 06:57
What would I do differently?? I wouldn't spend more for the hammer forged barrel and I would buy this>https://www.gandrtactical.com/BCM-Lower_p_155.html from Grant.

JediGuy
09-20-19, 07:00
I believe it generally relates to the way the rubberized grip material on the stock looks and feels. However, someone else would have to chime in with experience.

OldState
09-20-19, 07:27
I agree on just getting the BCM lower from Grant unless you simply want to build the lower for fun or educational purposes...which is fine. Then I would just use the stock BCM GI trigger and then get a Geissele later if you want. There isn’t really any company that has made match grade triggers that are also combat grade....so for me there is little reason to chose anything but Geissele to replace a GI one.

As mentioned the BCG and barrel are the single most important ingredients in a build. BCM BCGs are known to be top tier so I would just match one of those up to your barrel.

Many find DD furniture hideously ugly and you don’t often see people with it unless they bought a DD rifle and it came that way. That is probably the root of the comment made above. I’m sure it works just fine and is built well.

the AR-15 Junkie
09-20-19, 08:26
I’m absolutely stunned that someone would willingly buy Daniel Defense furniture.

Stunned.

lol, I thought the same thing, just spit up on my computer.

Eurodriver
09-20-19, 08:31
It’s less about the looks (while it is absolutely hideous) and more about the feel.

That stuff gets worn down when you use gloves and the rifle is sandy. It tends to stick, which is I guess what you want in a grip, but I don’t enjoy that on my face. The shape isn’t very ergonomic (or at least takes a lot of getting used to).

basykes
09-20-19, 18:26
Thanks everyone for the responses, good to know on the DD stuff. I will probably switch that out for Magpul products. For those saying dont go with SOINICS, is it because there is something wrong with it or because the one sold by grant is BCM? Because the BCM is also $100 more, for what I havnt been able to find a real difference? If there is an actual meaningful difference other than the brand then please let me know. Thanks!

26 Inf
09-20-19, 18:41

Stunned.

Well FMRing, we finally agree on something!

JediGuy
09-20-19, 20:31
Thanks everyone for the responses, good to know on the DD stuff. I will probably switch that out for Magpul products. For those saying dont go with SOINICS, is it because there is something wrong with it or because the one sold by grant is BCM? Because the BCM is also $100 more, for what I havnt been able to find a real difference? If there is an actual meaningful difference other than the brand then please let me know. Thanks!

No difference other than brand.
But...if you take the advice, spend a little more for the BCM with A5 system...you have everything you need, and matching. Kinda hard to argue against that.

Firefly
09-20-19, 20:38
If I couldn't have my slutty Colt, my tranny LMT, my Nam era SP1, or my space gnazzie ass Kraut HK....I would just give up on ARs..

Just buy one of them. Just buy one of them and all will be good.

But definitely a Colt though

the AR-15 Junkie
09-20-19, 22:31
If I couldn't have my slutty Colt, my tranny LMT, my Nam era SP1, or my space gnazzie ass Kraut HK....I would just give up on ARs..

lol, well said sir.

the AR-15 Junkie
09-20-19, 22:31

lol, well said sir.

everready73
09-21-19, 10:24
SOLGW sells a5 lowers and they are quality as well.

You can get SOLGW A5 lower for not much more than a standard BCM. Both great choices

Milspec78
09-21-19, 10:27
+1 on this

09-21-19, 15:18

Stunned.

I actually really like the DD grips and use them on most of my rifles. I know nothing about the buttstocks, but they don’t look like I would like them.

maximus83
09-22-19, 12:14
Those components look good, except as discussed, swap out the DD furniture for I'd suggest either something Magpul, or I like the BCM Gunfighter stocks as they are tough and well thought-out, and usually a bit lighter than some competing stocks.

As noted, you need a CH, I'd recommend a Radian Raptor, they have a lot of options, I've been the running 2 of the LT (lightweight) versions recently. If you will run suppressed they have a version for that too.

If you care about ambi controls, Sionics can give you an ambi selector, but probably higher end ones would be from B.A.D. or Radian. For the ambi mag catch, I'm partial to the Troy and run it on all my AR's now.

ETA: Forgot to add, +1 to the guys saying you want to run an A5 receiver extension, get VLTOR or BCM. Adds reliability and smoother functioning to the rifle, well worth it, I also run this on every rifle.

26 Inf
09-23-19, 02:16
OP - I had a fairly long, well reasoned (for me anyways) post about DD furniture and stocks and grips in general. But it disappeared when the site whited out - what's up with that anyways?

Here is a short version:

DD stocks - rear butt pad is the way I like them, the ones I've used, however, remind me of a Hogue slip on over-grip after it has been on for a while, or a grippy steering wheel when the rubber/vinyl starts to go (I figure we've all experienced that)

With stocks, there are several things to think of, here are 3 I 'like' and why:

Ti-7 - My favorite. This is EXOS Defenses take on a SOPMOD style stock, I like the slight angle and rounded toe of the recoil pad, as well as it's length (up and down). What I call the saddle is wider, which I prefer. Overall the stock mounts high in my shoulder, which I prefer, and the width of the saddle is right for my cheek weld. In fact when I went looking for a picture, I found this and am going to order a couple:

http://damageindustriesllc.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2541

MagPul MOE SL This stock has the narrowest saddle of the three I've listed. The recoil/butt pad is angled and the toe is radiused. I can get a good cheek weld with this stock, but it isn't as good as with the Ti-7.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/buttstocks/ar-15-moe-sl-stock-collapsible-mil-spec-prod69636.aspx

B5 Systems Bravo - This is their minimalist version of the SOPMOD stock. The Bravo doesn't have storage capability, as a result the saddle is somewhat narrower. The butt/recoil pad is slightly angled, but the toe isn't rolled like I prefer and the overall length of the recoil/butt pad is shorter than the Ti-7 or the Magpul SL.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/buttstocks/ar-15-sopmod-bravo-stock-collapsible-mil-spec-prod72317.aspx

The one thing all three stocks have in common is anti-rotational QD sockets. I'm a lefty and I run the rear of the sling attached to the left qd socket, around the recoil pad.

Otherwise, I just use Magpul MOE stocks - no QD sockets, but angled butt pad and slot for me to rig the sling around the recoil pad from the left side.

Those are some of the things I look for in carbine stocks.

With grips, it helps to consider whether you are going to do most of your shooting on your hind feet, or from the prone or bench.

I prefer a more vertical grip on rifles that I move around with. I've tried most brands, and settled on the B5 Systems Type 23 (Same as the Umbrella Corporation Type 23 grip but without the way cool logo).

https://www.tacticallink.com/Umbrella-Corp-Weapons-Research-Group-AR15-Pistol-Grip-23.html

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/grip-parts/pistol-grips/ar-15-p-grip-23-composite-prod87078.aspx

For rifles I shoot of bipods or bags I use grips that approximate the A2 angle, so I'm okay with the Magpul MOE grips.