PDA

View Full Version : Opinon on Stag Arms??

btarc422
11-14-08, 23:31
Looking at a Stag Arms model 2T. Wondering what other members think about Stag Arms products.

bkb0000
11-15-08, 00:39
Looking at a Stag Arms model 2T. Wondering what other members think about Stag Arms products.

What's your application? Budget? What do you like about the 2T over a different model/maker?

they have nice receivers. I have my own way of ranking manufacturers that's not exactly scientific- I'm a build-it-myself guy, I've actually never bought a complete AR in my life... but I always think of Stag as the best of the "home-owner" models, if you know anything about power tools. if not, that won't make sense.

10MMGary
11-15-08, 01:18
I have multiple Stag L models and the wife has a Stag upper on a Anvil Arms lower with a RRA two stage trigger. I replaced all the factory triggers with various aftermarket triggers in mine also. Between hers mine and ours we have well over 8000 rds down range with out a single rifle/carbine caused issue. bkb000 said it really well, and personally as a lefty who is not a professional warrior I will never go with anything other than Stag L model.

theblackknight
11-15-08, 01:56
Well as I see it, they are better then DPMS and Bushy, but not quite Smith Noveske or Colt.

I have a Model 1 Stag-15.I bought it cause the balance of quality and price was good enuff at the time.I thought I would be in a less than stellar situation money wise, but things turned around! I have about 1500 thru it, all stock, i use PMAGS and only Privi or Federal m193. The only times it gives me problems is lite primer hits when bumpfiring, which im not worried about bc it has the normal ar15 BCG and firing pin.

But i would say if you can, get atleast a Smith, if not N or C.

Paul45
11-15-08, 09:57
I have 2 Stag lefties, One I bought off the self (tactical model) and then restaked parts, changed grip, changed the trigger group - It has worked perfectly for over 10000 rounds. Normal maintenance is all that is required. The other is a custom build on a Stag lower and a Stag lefty upper. All other parts were hand picked and assembled by me. 100% happy - tack driver - over 12000 rounds - considering a new barrel - groups starting to open.
I am not a warrior but I do shoot alot. They work for my appilictions very well. I will not go back to right handed if I am not forced to.

btarc422
11-15-08, 10:12
Thanks, for the information. Reason for buying the stag basically comes down to price. I'm very green to the Black Rifle world, the only real experience I have had is with my service issued weapon in the Army. After doing some looking around town and doing some comparison shopping, the Stag already had a lot of the bells and whistles on it. The price seems comparable to most other AR's in town, plus a liked the look and feel of it.
Thanks again for the advice.

bkb0000
11-15-08, 11:23
Thanks, for the information. Reason for buying the stag basically comes down to price. I'm very green to the Black Rifle world, the only real experience I have had is with my service issued weapon in the Army. After doing some looking around town and doing some comparison shopping, the Stag already had a lot of the bells and whistles on it. The price seems comparable to most other AR's in town, plus a liked the look and feel of it.
Thanks again for the advice.

ironically enough, Stag is probably a better weapon than the others you're seeing around town, for less money. that's also why I dig their receivers.. they're machined nicer than some "tier 1" receivers, but are half the price.

Check out the technical stickies in the technical forum to learn about reliability issues with all the rifles, and check yours point-by-point, do whatever corrections/upgrades that are necessary, and it should be a fine rifle.

it is a 1/9 twist rate, so keep in mind you'll wanna stick with 55-62gr ammo. you can shoot heavier loads from a 1/9, but on average they're not gonna perform as well as the lighter loads.

welcome to the forum, and welcome to the hobby

David Ben Uzi
11-15-08, 11:29
You will be fine with the Stag. As others have mentioned you can do some minimal work to it as you go to bring it up to higher spec. if needed.

I would much rather have the Stag in my hands than wait for what others call "tier one" guns and potentially lose the opportunity to own a AR because a shift in our gun rights.

Good luck.

Gutshot John
11-15-08, 11:41
The Stag is an excellent first choice. I certainly wouldn't put it in the league of a Noveske or Colt, but it will teach you the basics and inform your opinion when you do decide to upgrade. It's still a durable little AR that shoots well.

There was an argument to be made that they aren't that much cheaper than a new LMT, Colt, but that's probably changed in the last week and certainly if you buy a lightly used gun.

My guess is that you can find a lovely used Stag somewhere for a nice price as a whole bunch of AR enthusiasts may have recently upgraded.

C4IGrant
11-15-08, 14:18

If you are interested in a 1/9 twist weapon, then go for it. Just remember to stake the gas key on them.

C4

pm40
12-11-08, 21:29
I was thinking about getting one just to shoot wolf through,and to keep the miles off my colt's

bkb0000
12-11-08, 21:55
I was thinking about getting one just to shoot wolf through,and to keep the miles off my colt's

i'm building a "beater build" for training right now for the same purpose... with the possible not-so-distant-future ban looming, i've decided to ease off the round count on my nicer, harder to repair/replace builds. even the beater build won't be a total piece of crap, though.. it just won't shoot as straight or last as long. i'm ok with having to replace a $130 barrel every 10,000 rounds.

SoDak
12-11-08, 22:38
i'm building a "beater build" for training right now for the same purpose... with the possible not-so-distant-future ban looming, i've decided to ease off the round count on my nicer, harder to repair/replace builds. even the beater build won't be a total piece of crap, though.. it just won't shoot as straight or last as long. i'm ok with having to replace a $130 barrel every 10,000 rounds.

I've been in kind of the same mode lately. I've just about built up my perfect ranch gun, but now I don't want to abuse it in case it's the only one I can get for a while. I have been thinking about getting a stage upper from bravo co and do a similar yet cheaper build. Hey Grant, do you know if stag is pretty good about keeping the chamber 5.56 spec?

GaryXD
12-12-08, 07:26
I like their lowers. If their uppers had M4 feed ramps, 4150 barrel steel, and mid length gas system I'd probably buy them.

pm40
12-12-08, 13:59
My idea is to just have a range toy for plinking,training,practice etc. I currently have a pile of wolf ammo that I just dont feel comfortable shooting out of my colts. (I know alot do and have no problems,I'd just feel better about it on a cheaper rifle) So as far as barrel steel,m4 feed ramps etc. I dont feel it would be an issue for what I want the rifle for.Now if I could find one for a "decent" price I may just pick one up.

bkb0000
12-12-08, 14:32
wolf is less abusive on your colts than m193

Wolfgang
12-15-08, 15:39
I love my Stag Arms Model 3.
It rocks!

Caeser25
12-15-08, 16:24

I plan on doing the exact same thing, or a delton upper once I find a LMT lower to go with my LMT upper.

bkb0000
12-15-08, 16:34
I love my Stag Arms Model 3.
It rocks!

...and how does it rock?

Josh-L
12-15-08, 20:53
Stag rifles are great guns. Stake the key, castle nut and upgrade the bolt guts and you will have a strong running weapon that shouldn't give you any problems.

Aray
12-15-08, 21:02
wolf is less abusive on your colts than m193

I'm new and have not heard this before. How so?

bkb0000
12-15-08, 21:12
I'm new and have not heard this before. How so?

because it's low pressure.

10MMGary
12-15-08, 22:11
Stag rifles are great guns. Stake the key, castle nut and upgrade the bolt guts and you will have a strong running weapon that shouldn't give you any problems.

FWIW CMT/Stag bolt carrier groups are now side staked and MP tested according to JTAC Supplies web page. Good luck finding anyone with them in stock though.

Jedimac
12-15-08, 22:34

I agree with Josh_l, I own a few Stags and I honestly can say I have never had any problems with them, I have roughly 3-4 thousand rounds in 2 of my rifles and not one hiccup. My 2 cents worth.

Josh-L
12-16-08, 01:36
FWIW CMT/Stag bolt carrier groups are now side staked and MP tested according to JTAC Supplies web page. Good luck finding anyone with them in stock though.

Hmm.. I haven't seen one side staked yet. The last few I got did have factory staked castle nuts though. And yeah this is the longest I've gone without being able to get one.

Rider79
12-16-08, 03:55
Hmm.. I haven't seen one side staked yet. The last few I got did have factory staked castle nuts though. And yeah this is the longest I've gone without being able to get one.

http://www.quanticoarms.com/asp/itemDetail.asp?dispItemNum=902&type=M&CMN=Lewis+Machine+&+Tool&CMNum=35&CMSNum=158&CMSN=Bolts+and+Bolt+Carrier+Groups

Quantico Tactical has semi-auto LMT BCGs in stock, the fullautos just sold out. I picked up 2 semis and 2 fulls.

larry0071
12-16-08, 06:07
There are 3 stags left on the wall in Western PA.
I grabbed a Stag 1L last night for $850 (+3% because I used a credit card) at the shop.
He had right handed stag flat top guns and one with a CNC alluminum 4-rail on it, and I think one more Stag 1 (standard gun). Prices were $900-$1100 on them, the $1100 being the one with a $250 4 rail on it. He has scopes, mounts, bags and more. What I like is... he is not price gouging like everyone else around the country!

Coopers Gun's and More
160 Ridge Road
New Brighton, PA. 15066
Shop - 724-843-4081
Cell - 724-624-0994

Open evenings only.
Mon-Fri 5-9PM
Sat 9AM - 5PM
Call for additional hours and Sundays!
Brant and Ryan Cooper (Father and Son)

Ned Christiansen
12-16-08, 10:21
What I've seen from Stag has been good stuff. Maybe not the very pinnacle but better than much of what's out there and a good value.

larry0071
12-16-08, 11:56
I agree. I doubt your going to show up at a range with a Stag and have guys all crowded around to see your new toy....but I have 4 pals with Stag guns and they all shoot them every couple months on a weekend and have fun playing Rambo and shooting up paper plates and various cans. For the money, a Stag or Bushmaster is a great gum. There is some real trashy stuff out there.....I say that from what I have read, not from experiance. What I do know is that my local buddies with Stag and Bushmaster guns are trouble free and they all like what they purchased. Don't fret it...it may not be a SOCOM certified death delivery unit... but it will destroy paper plates, 2 liter bottles and beer cans like nobodies business!

Enjoy, buy cheap ammo to play with, and dont be scared to shoot it till the wheels fall off!

If you wanted a match quality nail driver....you may need to apply some upgrades.

Josh-L
12-16-08, 12:10
http://www.quanticoarms.com/asp/itemDetail.asp?dispItemNum=902&type=M&CMN=Lewis+Machine+&+Tool&CMNum=35&CMSNum=158&CMSN=Bolts+and+Bolt+Carrier+Groups

Quantico Tactical has semi-auto LMT BCGs in stock, the fullautos just sold out. I picked up 2 semis and 2 fulls.

We are talking about Stag stuff....

bkb0000
12-16-08, 12:12
For the money, a Stag or Bushmaster is a great gum. There is some real trashy stuff out there......

....then what would you call "real trashy stuff?"

larry0071
12-16-08, 12:30
There is some real trashy stuff out there.....I say that from what I have read, not from experiance

I plainly said that I had no experiance with it other than reading on forums with some the other companies. "IF" Stag and Bushmaster are flat out trashy junk... there are a shit-ton of folks around the country that love thier trashy junk!

Atlantic Firearms was one that a gunshop told me to RUN FROM.

Wolfgang
12-16-08, 14:02
Before feeding Wolf through an AR, make sure it won't void the warranty. Some AR makers specify that Wolf ammo (steel cased) will void the warranty.
Ther Russian ammo with brass case ought to be okay though.

bkb0000
12-16-08, 14:04
I plainly said that I had no experiance with it other than reading on forums with some the other companies. "IF" Stag and Bushmaster are flat out trashy junk... there are a shit-ton of folks around the country that love thier trashy junk!

Atlantic Firearms was one that a gunshop told me to RUN FROM.

yes... there ARE a shit-ton of people that like trash.

however, i would NOT call stag or bushmaster "trash." stag's are a good value because they generally make a pretty decent weapon and are reasonably priced. bushmasters are mass produced with very little QC and are vastly over priced for that.

that's the biggest problem people have with bushmaster- they're on par with $600-700 weapon systems but charge the same price as tier 1 makers. if they charged what they were worth, i wouldn't have such contempt for them.

Rider79
12-27-08, 21:05
We are talking about Stag stuff....

Sorry it took a minute to reply to this, but I was just going through my subscription list.
The reason I gave you info on where to locate an LMT BCG is because you said you had been having trouble locating a CMT/Stag BCG. I was making an attempt to be helpful, which I now see was a waste of my time. Again, I apologize for trying to assist you with a problem you seemed to be having.

Outlander Systems
12-27-08, 21:36
Sorry to go off-topic, but a beater-build is a great idea. As mentioned before, having a cheap blaster for taking courses and square-ranging would be better than the wear 'n tear on the SHTF pieces.

Awesome idea.

To the OP, check THE Comparison Chart. If you don't mind the features you're missing out on, and are aware of what will need fixin' before you buy, you'll be GTG:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

Josh-L
12-28-08, 00:28
Sorry it took a minute to reply to this, but I was just going through my subscription list.
The reason I gave you info on where to locate an LMT BCG is because you said you had been having trouble locating a CMT/Stag BCG. I was making an attempt to be helpful, which I now see was a waste of my time. Again, I apologize for trying to assist you with a problem you seemed to be having.

Apology accepted...

Rider79
12-28-08, 02:01
Apology accepted...

Yeah. That thing that just went flying over your head was the point I was trying to make. With the help of people on this site I've located several LMT BCGs, an LMT upper, and 2 LMT lowers. All because they were nice enough to post and spread info, even if it was slightly off topic of the thread, instead of keeping it to themselves. So I try to return the favor when a guy like you says "I can't find BCGs." So I say "hey, try here", and instead of getting a thanks in return, like I've given everyone else who's helped me, I get "we're talking about Stag, not LMT." So good luck with your search for CMT BCGs, I hope you find all the crappy BCGs your heart desires.

bkb0000
12-28-08, 02:40
So good luck with your search for CMT BCGs, I hope you find all the crappy BCGs your heart desires.

even noveske uses CMT BCGs... they aren't "crappy." the only issue is that there WILL be some lemons, and if the AR manufacturer doesn't put out the do'h for HPMP testing you might end up with one of those exceedingly rare lemons.

Parabellum9x19mm
12-28-08, 04:25
all but one of my Novekse bolts have the same markings as BCM bolts and on all the staking on the carrier keys are nothing like the CMT staking job. i guess the markings are different because of the individual testing perhaps??

Our bolt carriers are not CMT. They may be made by the same sub contractor as BCM's, we are very happy with the quality so it would not surprise me if BCM used them.

Our bolts are Stag but we get ours fully tested, 100%.
Stag only batch tests so that is probably where the confusion is.

bkb0000
12-28-08, 04:42
hmm.. i would have swore sheri told me they were CMT. i think i still will.

edit: i'm sure they've changed manufacturers a few times anyway.

Rider79
12-28-08, 06:40
even noveske uses CMT BCGs... they aren't "crappy."

Crappy or not, the point I was making was that when you say, "I'm having trouble finding this item" and another poster says "hey, try here for the same item, made by a different manufacturer", you don't give the guy shit for going off topic when he's just trying to help you out. Who does shit like that?

Josh-L
12-28-08, 22:34
Dude calm down and get over yourself. Also stop "quoting" things I did not say. I did not say "I can't find a BCG". What I said was this is the longest I've had to go without being able to get one.... meaning one direct from Stag since this entire thread is about Stag.

Edit to add... Here if it will make you feel better so we can move on since I'm sure you will keep posting replies.... Thanks for trying to help me find a BCG. There now we can move on.

Rider79
12-29-08, 00:27
I noticed that the other people who went off topic about Bushmaster, Wolf ammo, Noveske, etc. didn't get chastised by you, but that's cool. I just figured you would have answered like a normal person would, i.e. "I'm actually looking for a Stag BCG, but thanks for your help anyway." Not, "we're talking about Stag here". But thanks for your insincere apology. Much appreciated. Maybe you should go around and police the other threads that stray off topic too, because I've yet to see one that's stayed completely on topic, even the Pmag availability thread.

Dr.Doom
01-20-09, 11:18

Ive emailed Stag Arms about the MP testing, and they said they do indeed to it. But they dont always mark them as such. The ones that are marked were ones that requested they be marked.

"...all of our bolts are MP tested, but they are not marked unless it is requested of us."

B

C4IGrant
01-20-09, 11:21
Ive emailed Stag Arms about the MP testing, and they said they do indeed to it. But they dont always mark them as such. The ones that are marked were ones that requested they be marked.

"...all of our bolts are MP tested, but they are not marked unless it is requested of us."

B

MP inspection is just about worthless without HP testing first (FYI).

C4

Dr.Doom
01-20-09, 11:32
MP inspection is just about worthless without HP testing first (FYI).

C4

Hahaha, I dont even now what that is man. I was just replying to somebody else who mentioned MP testing, and Ive read the "chart" and know it is a missconception.

Now if you would care to elaborate on HP testing, I would love to hear it.

B

C4IGrant
01-20-09, 11:35
Hahaha, I dont even now what that is man. I was just replying to somebody else who mentioned MP testing, and Ive read the "chart" and know it is a missconception.

Now if you would care to elaborate on HP testing, I would love to hear it.

B

HP = High Pressure. You fire a "blue pill" in the gun and it stresses the barrel and bolt. You then MP the barrel and bolt looking for cracks.

C4

Dr.Doom
01-20-09, 11:51
HP = High Pressure. You fire a "blue pill" in the gun and it stresses the barrel and bolt. You then MP the barrel and bolt looking for cracks.

C4

So you apply stress first, and then see if the bolt etc. has any weak points...is this correct.

Is this common practice among companies, and do you k now if stag does or does not do this??

B

C4IGrant
01-20-09, 11:53
So you apply stress first, and then see if the bolt etc. has any weak points...is this correct.

Is this common practice among companies, and do you k now if stag does or does not do this??

B

Basically yes.

Only a FEW companies do this. Some of the main ones are:

LMT, BCM, Colt, S&W and our bolts.

Stag does NOT HP test.

C4

Dr.Doom
01-20-09, 11:55
Basically yes.

Only a FEW companies do this. Some of the main ones are:

LMT, BCM, Colt, S&W and our bolts.

Stag does NOT HP test.

C4

May I ask who "our" is in your quote?? Thanks for all the help.
B

C4IGrant
01-20-09, 12:04
May I ask who "our" is in your quote?? Thanks for all the help.
B

G&R Tactical

C4

Dr.Doom
01-20-09, 12:06
G&R Tactical

C4

As stated in your sig....Im not that observant huh.

Josh-L
01-20-09, 21:00
If I'm not mistaken you can pay an extra $10 and get an HP tested one from Stag and another $10 can get you a full auto carrier. It might just get you a bolt that's actually marked MP though and still not HP'd. I'm on midnight shift or I'd call and ask unless Grant knows.

iamhistory
05-04-09, 20:44

I can understand staking the necessary areas but if Stag is such a respected company and reasonably good quality firearm, why is it necessary to upgrade the bolt guts? I've never upgraded the bolt on any m-16 or ar15 I've ever fired or owned and never noticed any issues or didn't know better.

What problems would a guy have if he didn't do these suggested things?

DRich
05-04-09, 21:16
I can understand staking the necessary areas but if Stag is such a respected company and reasonably good quality firearm, why is it necessary to upgrade the bolt guts?

HP/MP testing is an extra level of QC that helps ensure durability and reliability of the BCG. Also, many of the "upper-tier" bolts (Colt/LMT/BCM/etc) have the recommended extractor spring/o-ring upgrades to further enhance reliability in carbines.

If I buy a rifle that doesn't have a MP/HP tested bolt, I replace it simply for piece of mind. A non-MP/HP tested bolt may last a lifetime and never have an issue....or it might break in your first carbine class. I have a mix of AR's, but they all have BCM or Colt BCG's.

What problems would a guy have if he didn't do these suggested things?

The most common issues I've personally witnessed are broken bolts, usually at the pin hole. Even HP/MP tested bolts will break eventually, but the cheaper/substandard bolts break with far greater frequency and typically at lower round counts.