PDA

View Full Version : AR-15: Keeping it not simple

Uni-Vibe
09-24-19, 21:04
At the range recently I saw a guy who has the exact opposite philosophy of the AR-15 than mine. Mine are box-stock, keep it simple.

This guy had a Knight's with I believe an 18" barrel. On it he had attached:

Magpul furniture
Free float picatinny handguard
Scope (can't remember whose brand)
Green light
Laser
White flashlight
Bipod
Muzzle brake
45 degree angled backup sights

So he took a light, handy fighting rifle and turned it into a $5000 (?) 12 pound (?) behemoth that takes three different kinds of batteries to keep running.

And that's not the end of the story: He had THREE of these remarkable objects, one black, one olive drab furniture, one desert tan. I didn't look and see who made the other ones. They were identically tricked out. I mean identically equipped; there was no apparent effort to differentiate among the three as to intended purpose.

I hesitate to think of how much all three cost.

And there I was, banging away with my box-stock 6920, with only a $130 Sig red dot added.

hotrodder636
09-24-19, 21:09
That is part of what makes gun ownership an individual sport. That dude can rock whatever he wants. I didn’t read this as a bash just a comparison between styles.

lsllc
09-24-19, 21:12
It’s important to have defined roles for your kit. I have an SPR style rifle set up, 16”, 3-18x Leupold, and a large light and bipod. I have a hunting .300 BLK pistol with a 1-4x and suppressor. I have a “multi-purpose” rifle set up for the majority of my use. I train with it and hunt with it; LW 14.5”, scout light, and 1-6x. I have a home defense gun with fixed irons, an Aimpoint micro, and X300U (because the extra spill ain’t bad in the house) and it’s mounted at 12 in front of my front sight. The light functions ambi should I need to switch shoulders coming out of the doorway. Then I gave a 11.5” SBR with a can, aimpoint, a stiff rail, flip ups, Surefire vampire, and a DBAL for when I run nods.

I’m sure you’d laugh at my SBR weighing more than your 6920 but I have capability you do not with it.

Then I have several “6920s”, some BCMs and some actual Colts set up for training and teaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

False Cast
09-24-19, 21:16
Everyone has their preferences. How you setup your rig is not how I set up mine. I agree with hotrodder that the individuality of our gear is part of what makes it interesting. Just look at the picture threads - very few, if any duplicates.

JediGuy
09-24-19, 21:25
Didn’t I read this somewhere before?

RHINOWSO
09-24-19, 21:27
First, How does "Box-Stock" differ from "Stock"? Is it like a HARD PASS vs PASS thing?

Second, I bet you use Mobil One on EVERYTHING, right? Keeps things simple too.... ;)

Ok, onto your issue with a guy who has better toys than you...

A - What do you care what someone else does?

B - Maybe he wants to be able to hit things at greater distances that you?

C - Maybe he wants to see his target if it's dark out?

D - Maybe he hunts with NODs and uses his rifles for more than fingerbang from the bench?

AKDoug
09-24-19, 21:36
How do you know they were Knights ?

Wake27
09-24-19, 22:10
Why is this a thread? There are legit arguments for most of those things. Not even arguments, just common sense reasons. Magpul furniture is complicating things? Really? The only thing that seems weird to me is a green light. I don’t know wtf that is.

But guess what. Your gun has furniture. And an optic. And I assume irons. And a muzzle device. And a handguard of some kind. As long as it’s not cheap bullshit he really didn’t over complicate anything. I’d argue he’s simplified some shit because while there may be more and/or better components to the gun, it’s more versatile which means he has better options to choose from. A solid LPVO like my Razor simplifies the shit out of a 400m shot compared to your Sig red dot.

Sure, if he was an idiot and sucked at gun fu then he should’ve spent some of that money differently. But so far this threads screams of “jUsT aS GuD aS.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uni-Vibe
09-24-19, 22:13
It said so on the side of the lower receiver.

Not casting aspersions, just noting that side by side at the range , you see a great diversity in ARs.

RHINOWSO
09-24-19, 22:34
Why is this a thread?
The OP needs to attention whore - reason could be numerous and really don't matter.

TomMcC
09-24-19, 22:39
Op... when I go to the range, I like to observe what kind of iron and goodies people are into. Sometimes strike up a convo about their gear and why they bought what they bought, how it works for them. It's just light gun chat. Some guys like it simple and others like to spend the bucks, and some like it in between. In this case variety is cool.

Striker6
09-24-19, 23:20
The OP needs to attention whore - reason could be numerous and really don't matter.
We need a “like” button on the forum.

vicious_cb
09-25-19, 00:37
We need a “like” button on the forum.

Or a down vote. Id like to see how many down votes this thread gets.

JediGuy
09-25-19, 04:43
Worst of all, this is not an original thread. I read this at least weeks ago, somewhere. Maybe in a post here, I don’t know. But it’s unmistakable.

Straight Shooter
09-25-19, 05:06
Worst of all, this is not an original thread. I read this at least weeks ago, somewhere. Maybe in a post here, I don’t know. But it’s unmistakable.

This EXACT shit has been posted here before, yeah I saw it too. Holy crap, this guy.

grizzlyblake
09-25-19, 05:31
Green lights are for night time hunting. The color doesn't spook game and it's obviously exponentially cheaper than NV.

In addition, the scopes, bipods, and longer barrels, tell me those rifles were most likely hunting rigs for static night time nuisance animals like hogs and coyotes. They sound like excellent rifles for that.

Or perhaps they were triple redundancy for the tire change turned gang shootout.

robbins290
09-25-19, 06:41
So i have a Windham Weaponry with a fore end pistol grip, magpul stock set, light mount, streamlight flash light with red lens, sling, BCM charging handle and night scope that is for night hunting only. Is that too much stuff to have on my ar15?

I need the light to navigate to the blind in the dark, 1/4 mile walk at night is hard without it.

fore end pistol grip is easier with gloves (gets 20 below 0 at night here sometimes)

BCM for the exact same reason, gloves.

sling is for carrying the rifle out when i am dragging something out, either blind or animal.

I got the magpul stock because it was the easy way to mount a light and fore grip.

MegademiC
09-25-19, 07:08
At the range recently I saw a guy who has the exact opposite philosophy of the AR-15 than mine. Mine are box-stock, keep it simple.

Magpul furniture doesnt complicate anything
Free float picatinny handguard doesnt complicate anything
Scope (can't remember whose brand) makes ID and precise hits on long range small targets simpler
Green light for hunting?
Laser visible or IR? Visible is not my thing- but ok
White flashlight makes seeing in the dark simple
Bipod makes forming a steady shooting platform simple
Muzzle brakedoesnt complicate anything

So he took a light, handy fighting rifle and turned it into a $5000 (?) 12 pound (?) behemoth that takes three different kinds of batteries to keep running.

And that's not the end of the story: He had THREE of these remarkable objects, one black, one olive drab furniture, one desert tan. I didn't look and see who made the other ones. They were identically tricked out. I mean identically equipped; there was no apparent effort to differentiate among the three as to intended purpose.

And there I was, banging away with my box-stock 6920, with only a $130 Sig red dot added.

Assuming this is a dedicated hunting/long range gun- sounds like his setup makes performing the task simpler than a stock rifle. Maybe his rifle is “mOrE kIsS” than yours.

Not everyone shares your goals.

Its all perspective.
“Look at these losers fishing on a golf course”
“Look at these losers golfing on a trout stream”

JulyAZ
09-25-19, 07:44
This is one of those thread that makes me miss IG.

A quick response and a dumbass hammer to lock the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

robbins290
09-25-19, 07:45
This is one of those thread that makes me miss IG.

What is IG?

tehpwnag3
09-25-19, 08:26
Will Larson aka Iraqgunz or "IG". Moderator and Industry Professional. He passed away earlier this year. More info in the stickies.

What is IG?

ChattanoogaPhil
09-25-19, 08:31
If it helps... every time I go to the club I see rifles set up differently than mine. I've just never thought of it as something worthy of an M4C news alert.

tehpwnag3
09-25-19, 09:30
What I notice, more than anything, is stuff people have on their gun that I KNOW is going to eventually break with moderate use. $50 optics, certain brands of furniture, cheap quality mags and lights, off brand bipods, BUIS I've never seen before, aluminum muzzle brakes and gas blocks (sometimes harder to spot), plastic sling mounts, etc., etc.

ETA: Using stuff that doesn't break instantly or outside of reason, is one of the best ways to keep things simple.

Five_Point_Five_Six
09-25-19, 13:17

Magpul furniture
Free float picatinny handguard
Scope (can't remember whose brand)
Green light
Laser
White flashlight
Bipod
Muzzle brake

Nobody cares. Shoot your "box stock" rifle with your Sig red dot and move on with life, which is probably what the Knights guy did, if this story is even real to begin with.

TomMcC
09-25-19, 14:08
So now he's a liar on top of being a waster of bandwith....swell.

JSantoro
09-25-19, 14:51
As a frame of reference to a question, sure.

As a stand-alone thread, nah.