PDA

View Full Version : Ok, that was odd...

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-28-19, 03:26
I'm at the airport and I just miss the shuttle train and a big burly guy with a smokers voice and what appears to be well worn Good Will clothes asks me if this is the train to the terminal. I have a strict code of helping fellow travelers because people have helped me all over the world when I get lost. I confirm that it is. He's an outgoing guy and we have a few minutes so we start talking, really he starts talking. I notice he has on an ankle braclet with a little antenna on it. He says he is Medic back from Afghanistan and the government wants to keep tabs on him because he has to do his de-brief, but he has a penchant for not staying where he is told. Last trip he took some time in Greece to unwind. Now the government wants to track him so he shows up when he is supposed to. OK. Get on the train and he starts talking about how he is a medic that also teaches hand-to-hand combat. Two women who heard the MIL story notice his electronic anklebraclet and so he tells the whole story again. I guess TSA has a hissy fit if you show up with an anklebraclet.

Nice guy. Big guy. I can think of a lot of things I'd rather do than have to go hand to hand with that guy. WE get off the train, head up the escalator and I make sure he is headed to the right side of the terminal for his baggage. He thanked me, shook my hand and headed off.

I was like- what in the holy heck had I just seen? His story seems kind of hinky, but he didn't seem to mind who heard it. He could have easily hidden the ankle bracelet.

Does that story make any sense?

gaijin
09-28-19, 05:12
Not really. Hinky at best.
Although I expect the worst in people as a rule.

austinN4
09-28-19, 05:22
Could just be making up a story to explain the ankle bracelet he was wearing for some legal reason.

Hmac
09-28-19, 06:13
Paranoid schizophrenia is a very interesting disease. Hopefully, the real reasons for the ankle bracelet didn’t include violence.

Arik
09-28-19, 06:16
I find it near impossible to believe that the gov need to know where a medic is and that they don't debrief like right away.

C-grunt
09-28-19, 09:16
Yeah that doesn't happen. That's a pre trial monitoring or a "house arrest" monitoring system. Either he is making up the story to try and explain away the monitor or he is schizophrenic.

Ron3
09-28-19, 11:36
First time meeting a crazy?
You must be young or live in the country. 🤔

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-28-19, 12:45
He's wearing that as a court order for a crime that was committed, not because he is Jason Bourne. He is NOT supposed to be travelling.

jpmuscle
09-28-19, 12:50
Yea homeboy has a history of unscrupulous behavior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex V
09-28-19, 12:59
Did he also tel you that the King of Sweden is using his penis as a radio transmitter to send anti-semitic lesbian meatloaf recipes to Soupy Sales and Marvin Hamlisch.

HardToHandle
09-28-19, 13:15
Who knows? Sometimes a brother knows his audience and wants to pick up some mid-40s ladies likely to be impressed with a yarn like that. Relating that heroic story within earshot but indirectly sets up the next phase. Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Probably a total line of BS, but similarly I try to treat everyone I meet traveling with equal forbearance and respect. Traveling is stressful for most folks, so you see some extremities of human behavior. A cat who earned an ankle bracelet has earned it the old fashioned way... They used to be for non-violent offenses, but I keep reading about new outrages in Chicago where home monitoring home boys are frequently capping each other.

My story whilst traveling is always incorrect - wrong city, vague on any details and always intended to limit conversational openings. Non-description clothing and ear buds in, usually with no music playing whilst in the terminal. Every once in a while I fail and usually end up having a pleasant enough conversation with someone of a similar middle-class background but I make sure I know a lot more about my seat mate than they will about me. The ODNI has some good open source videos on basic trade craft - I.e., know when you are being played.

Straight Shooter
09-28-19, 14:21
I'm at the airport and I just miss the shuttle train and a big burly guy with a smokers voice and what appears to be well worn Good Will clothes asks me if this is the train to the terminal. I have a strict code of helping fellow travelers because people have helped me all over the world when I get lost. I confirm that it is. He's an outgoing guy and we have a few minutes so we start talking, really he starts talking. I notice he has on an ankle braclet with a little antenna on it. He says he is Medic back from Afghanistan and the government wants to keep tabs on him because he has to do his de-brief, but he has a penchant for not staying where he is told. Last trip he took some time in Greece to unwind. Now the government wants to track him so he shows up when he is supposed to. OK. Get on the train and he starts talking about how he is a medic that also teaches hand-to-hand combat. Two women who heard the MIL story notice his electronic anklebraclet and so he tells the whole story again. I guess TSA has a hissy fit if you show up with an anklebraclet.

Nice guy. Big guy. I can think of a lot of things I'd rather do than have to go hand to hand with that guy. WE get off the train, head up the escalator and I make sure he is headed to the right side of the terminal for his baggage. He thanked me, shook my hand and headed off.

I was like- what in the holy heck had I just seen? His story seems kind of hinky, but he didn't seem to mind who heard it. He could have easily hidden the ankle bracelet.

I myself dont believe it. Dude was on the lam.

Honu
09-28-19, 15:03
On call wanting to know where one is to be gotten ahold (as in receive a phone call/text) they would a cell phone :)

Not sure how a Tx becomes a Rx but yeah psycho for sure

MegademiC
09-28-19, 15:33
Sounds legit. They typically use the ankle trackers because phones are too slow.

At that guy’s level, they just show up with the choppers and brief him on the way to the next mission or personal meeting with the president.

He is beyond top secret. He can talk about it because he is such a government asset- he has no rules.

26 Inf
09-28-19, 16:11
Did he also tel you that the King of Sweden is using his penis as a radio transmitter to send anti-semitic lesbian meatloaf recipes to Soupy Sales and Marvin Hamlisch.

Kind of specific on what he was sending, eh, Alex?

Probably had a bunch of guys googling Soupy Sales. :D

GH41
09-28-19, 16:19
Maybe the bracelet was fake or homemade and there to attract attention. Hell.. there are people who have limbs surgically removed to attract attention.

Alex V
09-28-19, 16:26
Kind of specific on what he was sending, eh, Alex?

Probably had a bunch of guys googling Soupy Sales. :D

I wish I could claim credit but it’s a George Carlin line.

Arik
09-28-19, 16:48
Hey, at least he said he was a medic and not the typical "sniper", seal". "Assassin", 007 Borne

Hmac
09-28-19, 18:01
I myself dont believe it. Dude was on the lam.

And not in an intelligent way, having forgotten to remove the ankle bracelet.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-28-19, 18:19
And not in an intelligent way, having forgotten to remove the ankle bracelet.

That's pretty normal. They have to pay extra upon arrest for damaging the ankle monitor, so they'll just let it die and leave it on knowing they're bound to be picked up soon enough.

tb-av
09-28-19, 19:22
How did he manage to get through the metal detectors and TSA? I would think that would get you a sit down in the back room.

That's a lot to believe. I didn't even know those things had visible antennas. It didn't look like this did it?

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/8c/7d/de/8c7dde27ba0b9fa1aa176526c0b09e38--bangle-bracelets-bangles.jpg

The_War_Wagon
09-28-19, 19:25

Sounds legit. They typically use the ankle trackers because phones are too slow.

At that guy’s level, they just show up with the choppers and brief him on the way to the next mission or personal meeting with the president.

He is beyond top secret. He can talk about it because he is such a government asset- he has no rules.

I wish I could claim credit but it’s a George Carlin line.

I laughed way too hard at this.

SteyrAUG
09-28-19, 20:04
I can't think of a single military "medic" or any other MOS for that matter, that would agree to an ankle bracelet monitoring thing that wasn't related to come kind of criminal sentencing.

Back in the olden days, sky pagers, today some kind of cell phone with GPS. Also most "medics" aren't also hand to hand combat instructors. This guy is just living the movie in his head.

HMM
09-28-19, 20:39
Exactly why I wear ear buds a lot, especially while traveling. And sometimes I fake answering the phone if someone still tries to get a conversation going with me that looks sketchy or when I want out of the conversation. 99% of the time when I'm out in public there is no music playing, they are all show just to be left alone.

I learned that trick during a wedding rehearsal one Saturday about 10 tears ago while an Alabama game was on TV, we were watching it inside until it was time for us to do our part. I threw in my ear buds and acted like I was listening to the game and just ignored the rest and barely responded to anyone. My buddy that traveled with me about fell out as we were headed back to our hotel when I let him in on the secret. I had heard all the comments and just acted like I couldn't hear anything. We both didn't want to be at the stupid destination wedding... We have both learned to say no and set better boundaries.

JC5188
09-29-19, 16:51

Did he have a 93r in a chest rig and begin the conversation with “Howdy”?

chuckman
09-29-19, 17:25
That fella was coo-coo for Cocoa Puffs. Sounds like textbook paranoid schizophrenia.

AKDoug
09-29-19, 20:20
First time meeting a crazy?
You must be young or live in the country. 🤔

Dude.. we have all the crazies out in the country...

Pappabear
09-29-19, 20:26
Could just be making up a story to explain the ankle bracelet he was wearing for some legal reason.

Child molester playing the PTSD card or sumpin. Eff that nutbag. Hope I'm wrong.

PB

Arik
09-29-19, 21:14
I don't think it's any kind of paranoia. Just a guy trying to sound cool and relevant. Like those who dress in military fatigues and pretend to be some hard ass soldiers

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-29-19, 22:27
Out on the street, i’d Go with full crazy from the git go. Being in an airport, inside security, seemingly after taking a flight, makes the full odd. I assume you try to get on a plane with an ankle bracelet, they are going to find out The Who and why’s. I’m just glad that he wasn’t sitting next to me. I’m thinking earphones wouldn’t deter him much.

It was interesting. I get lied to all the time, and people don’t like to lie. You can tell. This guy thought he was telling the truth. Freaky...

Like I said, once past security, it’s pretty easy to hide the braclet.

SteyrAUG
09-29-19, 23:14
I don't think it's any kind of paranoia. Just a guy trying to sound cool and relevant. Like those who dress in military fatigues and pretend to be some hard ass soldiers

My favorite is the Ranger tab above the front BDU jacket pocket.

Arik
09-30-19, 06:24
My favorite is the Ranger tab above the front BDU jacket pocket.You know how many people I've met who were in Desert Storm and had their croshairs on Sadam only to get a personal call from the president to stand down!

SteyrAUG
09-30-19, 15:10
You know how many people I've met who were in Desert Storm and had their croshairs on Sadam only to get a personal call from the president to stand down!

On top of that those cheesedicks showed up with a daylight extraction that almost got my whole team zipped.