PDA

View Full Version : On Using Grease In the Receiver Extension?

JBnTX
11-15-08, 11:04
I've never been a proponent of using grease anywhere other than on the
Bolt, Receiver Rails of a rifle.

I've heard grease can be used in the AR-15 to deaden the "sproong" of
the buffer spring and to lessen the wear of the steel spring on the alloy
extension.

Seems sensible and probably can't hurt anything.

What type grease is the best to use?

A light grease like Tetra Grease or a heavier grease like that used
on automobiles?

Thank You.

No.6
11-15-08, 11:33
It sorta makes some sense, almost. Seems to me, and I don't know even half of what I should, so take it for what it's worth, that you'd have to literally pack the RE with the grease to damp the "sproing". But then, where would the buffer have to go during recoil? My bet is someone on here has tried it, or knows the answer.

pearson
11-15-08, 11:47
Personally I like the noise it is a diagnostic tool it tells you when your gun is empty and other things. but you have to know what to listen for. it is just like tuning a car.

Iraqgunz
11-15-08, 12:26
You heard this or read it in that silly AR15 book that people have bought? FWIW- putting grease in the buffer tube to lessen some kind of "sproong" sound is a bad idea. If it is really that annoying get another type of weapon. I am not being facetious.

I've never been a proponent of using grease anywhere other than on the
Bolt, Receiver Rails of a rifle.

I've heard grease can be used in the AR-15 to deaden the "sproong" of
the buffer spring and to lessen the wear of the steel spring on the alloy
extension.

Seems sensible and probably can't hurt anything.

What type grease is the best to use?

A light grease like Tetra Grease or a heavier grease like that used
on automobiles?

Thank You.

No.6
11-15-08, 12:38
You heard this or read it in that silly AR15 book that people have bought? ....

Which one is that? I'm beginning to find that there are so many.

Iraqgunz
11-15-08, 13:02
This is the book that another poster mentioned in another thread.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=559952

Cagemonkey
11-15-08, 13:03
The only place I'd use grease is on the bolt cam pin. Though the grease will get gummy from carbon after a short time and may slow things down. I'd stick with oil.

Iraqgunz
11-15-08, 13:12
The only grease that I have ever used in a carbine that works is the TW-25B grease from Mil.comm products.

JBnTX
11-15-08, 13:22
You heard this or read it in that silly AR15 book that people have bought? FWIW- putting grease in the buffer tube to lessen some kind of "sproong" sound is a bad idea. If it is really that annoying get another type of weapon. I am not being facetious.

That's a very critical answer.

Re-read the first sentence of my post?

I've never read that silly AR15 book.
The first AR-15 book I was issued was full
of cartoon pictures.

Not so much worried about the "sproong" as I am wear.
Steel against Alloy metal.

It's not annoying.

If you're young enough to be in Iraq, that
means I've been listening to that "sproong" since before
you were born.

Thanks anyway.

Iraqgunz
11-15-08, 14:09
I said you heard this or read it in that silly book. I was attempting to clarify. The amount of wear in the lower receiver extension from the spring movement is insignificant. I have seen lower receiver extensions that were on weapons for years w/o it being an issue.

There is no REAL reason to put grease in the tube, but whatever works for you.

You have no idea how old I am, what I do or anything else so you may be surprised at just how I old I am.

Putting grease in there will allow for all kinds of shit and debris to gather inside the tube. Though if you are at Ft. Livingroom with it, it probably isn't an issue.

You also did not clarify what the intended purpose of said grease was. You said that it may "deaden" the sound and possibly reduce wear as if you were concerned about both.

That's just my 400 Fils on the matter.

That's a very critical answer.

Re-read the first sentence of my post?

I've never read that silly AR15 book.
The first AR-15 book I was issued was full
of cartoon pictures.

Not so much worried about the "sproong" as I am wear.
Steel against Alloy metal.

It's not annoying.

If you're young enough to be in Iraq, that
means I've been listening to that "sproong" since before
you were born.

Thanks anyway.

T-TAC
11-15-08, 14:23
I have used grease before. It's mainly favored by Compentition shooters.
Take the spring in one hand and you favorite gun grease in the other and rub it all over the spring. Not alot, just enough for it to be coated. Then reinstall spring.
No more Spoing.
Now because my AR's are defense orientated. I spray the spring with Break free CLP. Wipe off the excess and reinstall.
The gun will give you a differant feel and sound, a few rounds before the mag runs empty. Which is how it should be.

JBnTX
11-15-08, 14:42
I have used grease before. It's mainly favored by Compentition shooters.
Take the spring in one hand and you favorite gun grease in the other and rub it all over the spring. Not alot, just enough for it to be coated. Then reinstall spring.
No more Spoing.
Now because my AR's are defense orientated. I spray the spring with Break free CLP. Wipe off the excess and reinstall.
The gun will give you a differant feel and sound, a few rounds before the mag runs empty. Which is how it should be.

Thank You!

markm
11-15-08, 14:52
As foolish as greasing the recoil spring is... it's nothing compared to some even more retarded shit I've read on a few other boards....

DIPPING THE RECOIL SPRING in goop used for tool handles.... pliers, wrenches, etc.

I'm not shitting. I read some dumb ass inquire about this and a few other short bussers chimed in to say it sounded like a bright idea! :rolleyes: (this wasn't even ARF believe it or not)

hatt
11-15-08, 15:07
Has anyone ever seen a receiver extension with any significant wear associated with the buffer spring?

I would think if you can get past the noise of the action cycling to chamber a round, the hammer falling, the lond boom, the sonic crank, and the action cycling again, the sproong would be not so big of a deal. I'm sure the bad guys aren't going "did you hear a sproong sound" to each other after you shoot at them a couple times.

JBnTX
11-15-08, 15:10
As foolish as greasing the recoil spring is... it's nothing compared to some even more retarded shit I've read on a few other boards....

DIPPING THE RECOIL SPRING in goop used for tool handles.... pliers, wrenches, etc.

I'm not shitting. I read some dumb ass inquire about this and a few other short bussers chimed in to say it sounded like a bright idea! :rolleyes: (this wasn't even ARF believe it or not)

I've heard that too! I've heard everything from packing it full of grease to
stuffing a grease soaked rag in the receiver extension.

All I've ever used is BreakFree.

This question has popped up several times over at TOS.

I was just wondering?

JBnTX
11-15-08, 15:14
Has anyone ever seen a receiver extension with any signification wear associated with the buffer spring? ...

No, it's never been an issue.

Failure2Stop
11-15-08, 16:14
I'm unsure if judging the quality of someone's information by their age is logical. By reading Iraqgunz posts over the past year I have deduced that he knows what he is talking about, and has signifanct experience in AR maintenance/repair in adverse conditions.

I do not personally like using grease in ARs due to their propensity to acquire debris from the environment. The receiver extension is more forgiving than other areas as far as tight tolerances are concerned though. Like Iraqgunz, the only grease I accept (not that I have used many) is TW-25B. I still use it occasionally on the buffer spring- but I only use a small dab to lightly coat the spring. I use it simply because it stays around for a long time when in storage and since it is a low-temp area it stays around during firing. I sill get the "sproing" though since I am not using much, just enough to provide lubrication.

But that's just me in my application.

Medicine Calf
11-17-08, 08:52
What about Hershey bars?

JBnTX
11-17-08, 08:59
What about Hershey bars?

Works fine but don't use the ones with Almonds.
They'll cause a jam.

The reason I started this thread was because I recently saw a
guy at the range that had so much grease packed in his receiver
extension that it was ozzing out of the gun.

I just wondered if others were doing this?

All I've ever done is oil it and forget it.

chuckles
11-17-08, 11:15
What about Hershey bars?

You can only use Hershey bars to shine your boots, never on your weapon.:p

carbinero
11-17-08, 23:18
Checking my stock for a zerk fitting now...

Robb Jensen
11-18-08, 05:56
I run a tiny bit of Militec grease on my buffer springs along with either Militec-1 oil or Weaponshield oil. I don't live/work in a dusty environment (if I did I wouldn't use the grease). I only use a dab about 1/2 the size of a dime and the spread it all over the spring. It does cut down on the noise but I like it because if I store the gun muzzle up all the oil doesn't run to the back end of the receiver extension.

My guns are 'hobby' guns or competition guns. My guns have run well through every class I've ever been to using this method, I do clean out the receiver extension ever few thousand rounds (at that time I also measure the length of the buffer spring and trash them when they get to 10.25" or shorter).

QuickStrike
11-18-08, 07:39
I run a tiny bit of Militec grease on my buffer springs along with either Militec-1 oil or Weaponshield oil. I don't live/work in a dusty environment (if I did I wouldn't use the grease). I only use a dab about 1/2 the size of a dime and the spread it all over the spring. It does cut down on the noise but I like it because if I store the gun muzzle up all the oil doesn't run to the back end of the receiver extension.

My guns are 'hobby' guns or competition guns. My guns have run well through every class I've ever been to using this method, I do clean out the receiver extension ever few thousand rounds (at that time I also measure the length of the buffer spring and trash them when they get to 10.25" or shorter).

I put grease on my buffer spring too, and there is probably a whole buttload of oil in this area from my excess lubing of the BCG and the way I put my carbine muzzle up...

Works fine in my 6920. I don't see how significant amounts of carbon/dust can get there with the way I clean....

bkb0000
11-19-08, 02:51
Has anyone ever seen a receiver extension with any significant wear associated with the buffer spring?

not receiver extension wear, but I've worn the spring pretty flat on the OD. you'd think it would eventually reduce the spring thickness enough that it would start to short stroke on you, but i've never let it get that bad.

I'm sure the bad guys aren't going "did you hear a sproong sound" to each other after you shoot at them a couple times.

"hay ahmed, did you hear that? hahahaha, stupid Americans!... ahmed? ahmed....?"

Heavy Metal
11-21-08, 04:23
Failure2Stop

I'm unsure if judging the quality of someone's information by their age is logical. By reading Iraqgunz posts over the past year I have deduced that he knows what he is talking about, and has signifanct experience in AR maintenance/repair in adverse conditions.

I do not personally like using grease in ARs due to their propensity to acquire debris from the environment. The receiver extension is more forgiving than other areas as far as tight tolerances are concerned though. Like Iraqgunz, the only grease I accept (not that I have used many) is TW-25B. I still use it occasionally on the buffer spring- but I only use a small dab to lightly coat the spring. I use it simply because it stays around for a long time when in storage and since it is a low-temp area it stays around during firing. I sill get the "sproing" though since I am not using much, just enough to provide lubrication.

But that's just me in my application.

I agree with the above. I will only add that I will use Tetra grease interchangably with TW-25B if it is not handy. I avoid the petroleum oil/metallic soap greases anymore.