PDA

View Full Version : Best home alarm that is practical for 2019:

Det-Sog
10-01-19, 13:23
Mrs. Det-Sog and I are buying a house. Surprisingly, even though the house is fairly new and is in a major city, it has no alarm. OBVIOUSLY we will have a system in place before we move in.

I don't need Fort Knox level security, but don't want to go fly-by-night either. We are moving from a temporary apartment with it's own canned alarm, so I will need to pick something from scratch. I've had ADT and Brinks in the past, but ADT now wants to integrate all of the appliances with the system... F-That. I don't need ADT monitoring my electric bill.

WANTED: A reliable system with door sensors, motion detectors and glass break sensors with a camera covering ONLY the front yard and driveway. . I do NOT want "smart connectivity" where the MF is wired into the A/C, interior lights, fridge ect... To get video, ADT wants to hook up every appliance in the house. No way. The more that is connected, the more that can go wrong.

Many thanks!

zombiescometh
10-01-19, 13:37
Haven’t used it myself but have seen quite a few sponsored plugs about simply safe from demo ranch and lunkers. Granted they get there’s for free but they seem to like the system. And you can pick out what and how many components you need.

https://simplisafe.com/home-security-shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillBrink
10-01-19, 14:11
Haven’t used it myself but have seen quite a few sponsored plugs about simply safe from demo ranch and lunkers. Granted they get there’s for free but they seem to like the system. And you can pick out what and how many components you need.

https://simplisafe.com/home-security-shop

That's what I have and it's a good basic system for the $. I also have some Blink cameras. That and some quality properly installed locks on good doors, and it's just too much time/effort/risk for vast majority criminal types to bother with unless you're targeted specifically and that's a different animal.

Adrenaline_6
10-01-19, 14:25
If you want wireless than find a company that installs DSC. Their spread spectrum 900 Mhz transmitters and receivers have great range and great battery life (5-7 years). If the company installs Honeywell, the wireless is using an old dated 433 Mhz band. Garbage. All alarm companies you see advertising how great they are don't have their own alarm brands. They just sell one or a couple of the same ones everyone else does. ADT and Brinks, etc just have proprietary versions of the same brands but are essentially the same alarm panel that only they can access and program.

The difference is monitoring price and options and the monitoring companies themselves. Some companies are big enough to have their own central monitoring station, most go to national monitoring stations that service many alarm companies. Beware of the contract price and lengths if they install the equipment for peanuts.

Another difference is installation expertise and professionalism. Some are great. A lot are hacks.

Simplisafe is a do it yourself kit. Does it provide basic security? Sure. It was using unencrypted wireless signals that could be intercepted to sniff out pin codes, but they have since encrypted them with their new hardware. The people who bought the original systems had no upgrade path though. Not sure if they upgraded from the crappy 433 Mhz band they were using also.

Det-Sog
10-01-19, 14:48
That's what I have and it's a good basic system for the $. I also have some Blink cameras. That and some quality properly installed locks on good doors, and it's just too much time/effort/risk for vast majority criminal types to bother with unless you're targeted specifically and that's a different animal.

Agreed. Good locks and lighting will be the first thing done. Alarm will be done around the same time. With the exception of the true pros, 99% of the local turd burglars are like roaches. Lock YOUR place down and make it a hard target, and they will go hit the neighbor instead of you. Sorry neighbor. Regardless, a true "Pro" that makes their living doing this will get in anyway. THAT is why we have insurance AND a good safe also.

Just a basic alarm and a yard sign will send most amateurs down the street.

If you want wireless than find a company that installs DSC.

-snip-

Simplisafe is a do it yourself kit. Does it provide basic security? Sure. It was using unencrypted wireless signals that could be intercepted to sniff out pin codes, but they have since encrypted them with their new hardware. The people who bought the original systems had no upgrade path though. Not sure if they upgraded from the crappy 433 Mhz band they were using also.

Is DSC a brand or a technology? New term to me.

I've been hearing a lot of good about simplysafe, but... THIS is the intel I am looking for. Thank you. I will check into what they are using now. I don't mind the idea of a DIY system as 25 years of previous LEO experience has told me where the crooks get in.

Adrenaline_6
10-01-19, 15:13
Is DSC a brand or a technology? New term to me.

It's a brand that many alarm companies install. Honeywell (Ademco) is another as well as Bosch (Radionics), DMP, Morse, Napco. There are more but these are the more commonly used ones.

jmp45
10-01-19, 15:25

Our kids had a garage break in and opted for Simply Safe. Good results, control where you need it. They have the back door bypassed during hours they are home to allow the dog in and out etc. Cam in the garage as well as sensors on all doors and their storage shed. Their yard is fenced in.

Will, do you have issues with Blink missing events or late in events? I have two at our front doors. Catches about 80% of the activity. I'm suspecting problems with Spectrum, getting dropouts and packet loss here. Techs have been here 3 times in 2 weeks, again tomorrow. Paying for 100mbs down, getting 12mbs - 35mbs down. Shotty service, we go thru this about twice every year with them. Always before it gets to our pole.

WillBrink
10-01-19, 15:34
Our kids had a garage break in and opted for Simply Safe. Good results, control where you need it. They have the back door bypassed during hours they are home to allow the dog in and out etc. Cam in the garage as well as sensors on all doors and their storage shed. Their yard is fenced in.

Will, do you have issues with Blink missing events or late in events? I have two at our front doors. Catches about 80% of the activity. I'm suspecting problems with Spectrum, getting dropouts and packet loss here. Techs have been here 3 times in 2 weeks, again tomorrow. Paying for 100mbs down, getting 12mbs - 35mbs down. Shotty service, we go thru this about twice every year with them. Always before it gets to our pole.

I have had good experiences with some tweaking the cameras via their settings and such, but my sister has various issues. I figured that's due to net speed differences or she's not really taken the time to set the cams right. Her cameras seem to take a long time to alert her of the camera sensing motion where as I get alerted within a short time.

GH41
10-01-19, 15:52
IMO the location of your home and value of what you are trying to protect will dictate what you really need. If your location is rural and 20 minutes from town and your property sits on 5,000 acres the best alarm system made won't do you much good other than telling you that you have been robbed. The opposite extreme would be living in a high density residential area in town. In this scenario a half dozen strategically placed flood lights on motion detectors and a couple of Ring doorbells may be all you need in addition to a well concealed/camouflaged safe. The guys that kill me have alarm company signs all over their yard screaming I have something to steal!

WillBrink
10-01-19, 16:06
IMO the location of your home and value of what you are trying to protect will dictate what you really need. If your location is rural and 20 minutes from town and your property sits on 5,000 acres the best alarm system made won't do you much good other than telling you that you have been robbed. The opposite extreme would be living in a high density residential area in town. In this scenario a half dozen strategically placed flood lights on motion detectors and a couple of Ring doorbells may be all you need in addition to a well concealed/camouflaged safe. The guys that kill me have alarm company signs all over their yard screaming I have something to steal!

It does not say that. It says "this place is not worth bothering with, go to another house that will be less hassle" and intended as a deterrent. It generally works. Not much reason to have the alarm and not have the deterrent effect of the signs. No one assumes an ADT sign = lots of good stuff to steal per se.

The sticker to never have? That's an NRA sticker on your car. They will follow someone home and see where you park knowing there will be plenty of guns to steal. Interviews with inmates serving time for robbery said NRA stickers were an instant call to action for them.

Det-Sog
10-01-19, 16:23
It's a brand that many alarm companies install. Honeywell (Ademco) is another as well as Bosch (Radionics), DMP, Morse, Napco. There are more but these are the more commonly used ones.

Thank you.
It does not say that. It says "this place is not worth bothering with, go to another house that will be less hassle" and intended as a deterrent. It generally works. Not much reason to have the alarm and not have the deterrent effect of the signs. No one assumes an ADT sign = lots of good stuff to steal per se.

The sticker to never have? That's an NRA sticker on your car. They will follow someone home and see where you park knowing there will be plenty of guns to steal. Interviews with inmates serving time for robbery said NRA stickers were an instant call to action for them.

Spot on. The Pros already know you are a target. That’s what they do. The local Dirtbag crooks will shy away from places with signs, IF they have alarms also. They look. You’d be surprised how many people put up signs but do not have alarms. The crooks look.

NRA or ANY 2nd sticker on a vehicle screams “free guns”.

Pappabear
10-01-19, 17:25
Someone recently tried to steal our dog and we bought the Ring system of cameras for outside our house. It is awesome. It alerts you on the phone, if your away you can set off an alarm. You can watch live, you get feedback from other RING users in the area and can choose your radias. Its unbelievable how much shit goes on weekly. People list " this guy walked to my door and rang doorbell then took pictures and you can see the video.

Check it out even if you get an indoor security system. This is a major deterrent for serious planners. And its not crazy expensive. They started out as only a doorbell system and have expanded. Congrats on the new house.

PB

WillBrink
10-01-19, 17:33
Someone recently tried to steal our dog and we bought the Ring system of cameras for outside our house. It is awesome. It alerts you on the phone, if your away you can set off an alarm. You can watch live, you get feedback from other RING users in the area and can choose your radias. Its unbelievable how much shit goes on weekly. People list " this guy walked to my door and rang doorbell then took pictures and you can see the video.

Check it out even if you get an indoor security system. This is a major deterrent for serious planners. And its not crazy expensive. They started out as only a doorbell system and have expanded. Congrats on the new house.

PB

Ring and Blink are owned by Amazon. Ring is the more expensive option. Ring seems higher quality and higher res vis and such and maybe more integrated options, but Blink works well for the $.

WillBrink
10-01-19, 17:36
Thank you.

Spot on. The Pros already know you are a target. That’s what they do. The local Dirtbag crooks will shy away from places with signs, IF they have alarms also. They look. You’d be surprised how many people put up signs but do not have alarms. The crooks look.

NRA or ANY 2nd sticker on a vehicle screams “free guns”.

And or they tend to focus on higher end places where the score is bigger for the risks taken. If they target you, it's an inside job and someone - cleaning person, workmen, etc - let them know you had a large gun safe or something else of value a pro would bother with.

Det-Sog
10-01-19, 18:07

PB

Thanks.

All, be careful with Ring. It's an Amazon product. See my response to Will below.

Ring and Blink are owned by Amazon. Ring is the more expensive option. Ring seems higher quality and higher res vis and such and maybe more integrated options, but Blink works well for the $.

I will not put anything Amazon/Google/Apple in my house. Rumor is these Ring cameras are spying on you just like the rumor of Alexa and Google assist. I will NOT have any cameras system in my house networked unless I am sure it is locked down on a closed encrypted network. Think wired to hard drive recorder or dedicated server.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/30/chris-collins-guilty-plea-insider-trading-1519268

https://nypost.com/2019/01/11/employees-at-amazons-ring-have-been-spying-on-customers/

And or they tend to focus on higher end places where the score is bigger for the risks taken. If they target you, it's an inside job and someone - cleaning person, workmen, etc - let them know you had a large gun safe or something else of value a pro would bother with.

Agreed.

jmp45
10-01-19, 18:17

PB

Ring and Blink both have access to an app called 'Neighbors'. You set the parameter around your location 3 miles etc. neighbors will post videos. In our small town there are a few, stuff getting stolen from a truck less than a block away. People walking around back yards late night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNg4YILTbtc

Thanks.

All, be careful with Ring. It's an Amazon product. See my response to Will below.

I will not put anything Amazon/Google/Apple in my house. Rumor is these Ring cameras are spying on you just like the rumor of Alexa and Google assist. I will NOT have any cameras system in my house networked unless I am sure it is locked down on a closed encrypted network. Think wired to hard drive recorder or dedicated server.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/30/chris-collins-guilty-plea-insider-trading-1519268

https://nypost.com/2019/01/11/employees-at-amazons-ring-have-been-spying-on-customers/

Agreed.

I agree INSIDE the house. I'm not concerned with the cams outside.

WillBrink
10-01-19, 18:24
Thanks.

Agreed.

Ring is all tapped into the Alexa thing. Blink is a stand alone product Amazon purchased and has no integration with Amazon's spytech far as I know.. I have Blink and it's worked fine for me. It's not as fancy as the Ring stuff but does it's intended job as way less $ than Ring. Worst case, they can see who is at the front door if they wish. It's having an Alexa set up where they can listen to your conversations and such I'd worry about.

Det-Sog
10-01-19, 18:30
I agree INSIDE the house. I'm not concerned with the cams outside.

Except for the pool area outside. No ring camera there. Never know what might be going on out there :dirol:

Ring is all tapped into the Alexa thing. Blink is a stand alone product Amazon purchased and has no integration with Amazon's spytech far as I know.. I have Blink and it's worked fine for me. It's not as fancy as the Ring stuff but does it's intended job as way less $ than Ring. Worst case, they can see who is at the front door if they wish. It's having an Alexa set up where they can listen to your conversations and such I'd worry about.

Agreed again. I'm not worried about anyone looking over the front yard out into the street. Great conversation everyone.

jmp45
10-01-19, 18:33

Blink here too.. You can tie it into Alexa if you like, you're out of your mind to do so. They now have Alexa in eye glasses so you can take it everywhere you go. I also have a wifi foscam and another in the back connected to an NVR.

Wake27
10-01-19, 18:46
ADT shouldn't have any issues installing as much or little of the system as you want. I just did it and didn't do the smart home thing. They use other authorized companies to do the install, if one person/company is telling you that, I'd try to get ahold of ADT themselves.

Adrenaline_6
10-02-19, 07:30

Correct. When I did residential alarms way back in the day, people would always ask for yard signs and stickers because they knew it was a deterrent.

CWM11B
10-02-19, 07:59
I've been looking a simplisafe for my home. Of interest, look up "the lockpicking lawyer" video on it. He bypassed the system with a two dollar gadget he bought on Amazon. His advice was if you have it, dont use the stickers or signs that come with the system as someone so inclined would know how to bypass it. Using a competitor's signage was his suggestion.

Adrenaline_6
10-02-19, 08:20
I've been looking a simplisafe for my home. Of interest, look up "the lockpicking lawyer" video on it. He bypassed the system with a two dollar gadget he bought on Amazon. His advice was if you have it, dont use the stickers or signs that come with the system as someone so inclined would know how to bypass it. Using a competitor's signage was his suggestion.

Yup...433 Mhz is old tech. THe Power G wireless technology that DSC uses has 4 times the range, has 2-way communication, has multi channel frequency hop (spread spectrum) and is 128 bit aes encrypted. The battery life is optimized also with their auto gain adjustment - I think they call it "adaptive power" - the better the available signal strength between the receiver and the device, the lower gain it uses to get the threshold it needs, maximizing the battery life. You van also add repeaters if you have huge property with multiple buildings or a warehouse.

Like I mentioned, the DIY stuff is simple - for the simple inexperienced installer. It gives you the bare necessities at a good price point. You do get the app and all the cool remote features that it offers, but the system itself is bare bones. Like many new products now days, they appeal to the tech gadgetry side first - hardware second.

WillBrink
10-02-19, 09:20

Biggest problem his him showing the planet about that, but most criminals not bright enough to do it, and it's not totally reliable either. Good security is layered and no one thing is responsible for the security, making it not worth bothering with for the vast majority of thieves, or you have been targeted by a pro and it's likely an inside job as pros rarely puck random homes. Having said all that, I have simplisafe with ADT signs :cool:

Sry0fcr
10-02-19, 10:32
I'm tagging in for info, but my 75lb lab is worth her weight in gold when it comes to home security.

Averageman
10-02-19, 11:21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bVoTcpAbEg
Guy had two brake ins in 18 hours, same Muppet, dog and a security system.

Adrenaline_6
10-02-19, 11:57
I'm tagging in for info, but my 75lb lab is worth her weight in gold when it comes to home security.

Dogs are great deterrents. Most thieves will rob someplace else. I have a 90lb and a 75lb Doberman along with a 65lb American Bulldog who isn't full grown yet.

WillBrink
10-02-19, 12:02

That vid is a lesson in what not to do for home security. How is your back door so poorly secured he walked in like that? That he didn't harden up that door after the first time, is total fail on his end and put his life, his families, and the dude who was there, in jeopardy. Has he not been there, dude likely also would have had a new gun on the street for added fail and risk to others. I don't even know who that is, but as he's apparently a known name of some sort, he's probably got $ and security so poor dude entered the door (twice!) is beyond being clueless about home and personal security.

Adrenaline_6
10-02-19, 12:46
Watching this video tells me that he has an alarm but didn't arm it - twice. What woke him up was the "chime" mode option that was turned on which "dings" the keypad every time a perimeter sensor is tripped. Awesome - he has an alarm but doesn't arm it at night when home even after being broken into and a dog that barely growls when detecting a stranger. A freaking yapping Chihuahua would have been more useful than that turd.

Det-Sog
10-02-19, 13:34
Thank you all for the replies. Some great ideas out here.

I mentioned, the DIY stuff is simple - for the simple inexperienced installer. It gives you the bare necessities at a good price point. You do get the app and all the cool remote features that it offers, but the system itself is bare bones. Like many new products now days, they appeal to the tech gadgetry side first - hardware second.

Point taken. I get that. The hardware must be rock solid.

I'm going to give ADT another chance. I will let the high pressure sales-slut come out and try to spin me, but I know what I need and will not let them talk me into that smart home crap. We get a USAA discount, and I've had good service with them back in "the day" when everything was wired and there was no smart home stuff. If ADT gets stupid, I'll DIY and call it a day.

I have simplisafe with ADT signs :cool:

If I go with SS, that is EXACTLY what I will do.

<--- Not paranoid here. I was a LEO full and part time for 25 years. I've seen the stuff that happens with the aftermath first hand. I travel for a living now and am gone a lot. I have a wife that stays home alone and want her to be well protected.

Disclaimer: If any nefarious individuals are reading this getting any ideas... Mrs. Det-Sog was Airborne AND Air Assault qualified in the U.S. Army. She can run an AR/M9 as well or better than most of the wannabes on this forum. Enter at own risk... :p

Uni-Vibe
10-04-19, 14:56
I built my own, ages ago, when I first bought my house. You can get all the parts piecemeal. It doesn't call anybody; but there's a loud siren inside the gable vent on each end of the house that'll wake the dead.

Suggestion: if your house is tight, and you might not hear any outside sirens enough to wake you up quick, put in a buzzer that's tied in with the sirens for some inside noise. I did this.

Suggestion: There are bright blinking lights you can put on your front porch that come on when the sirens wail. This identifies your house and might scare people off. I'm tempted to do this but have never done it.

Adrenaline_6
10-04-19, 15:04
I built my own, ages ago, when I first bought my house. You can get all the parts piecemeal. It doesn't call anybody; but there's a loud siren inside the gable vent on each end of the house that'll wake the dead.

Suggestion: if your house is tight, and you might not hear any outside sirens enough to wake you up quick, put in a buzzer that's tied in with the sirens for some inside noise. I did this.

Suggestion: There are bright blinking lights you can put on your front porch that come on when the sirens wail. This identifies your house and might scare people off. I'm tempted to do this but have never done it.

In a modern system, the keypads also go into alarm inside your house and on top of that you usually you have an interior siren. Criminals want to get away from the sound so it is better to design it this way.

If you use an outside siren like an SSX-52B. It wails the siren along with an integrated blue strobe.