PDA

View Full Version : FBI Crime Stats

WillBrink
10-01-19, 14:07
Media et al wants people to thinks it's WWIII out there as fear sells and disconnects one from their critical thinking abilities... FBI crimes stats show crime dropped yet again and statically speaking, you have not been safer in the US in many decades and crime peaked in the late 80s/early 90s:

"For the second consecutive year, the estimated number of violent crimes in the nation decreased when compared with the previous year’s statistics, according to FBI figures released today. In 2018, violent crime was down 3.3 percent from the 2017 number. Property crimes also dropped 6.3 percent, marking the 16th consecutive year the collective estimates for these offenses declined.

The 2018 statistics show the estimated rate of violent crime was 368.9 offenses per 100,000 inhabitants, and the estimated rate of property crime was 2,199.5 offenses per 100,000 inhabitants. The violent crime rate fell 3.9 percent when compared with the 2017 rate; the property crime rate declined 6.9 percent.

These and additional data are presented in the 2018 edition of the FBI’s annual report Crime in the United States. This publication is a statistical compilation of offense, arrest, and police employee data reported by law enforcement agencies voluntarily participating in the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program."

https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/fbi-releases-2018-crime-statistics

docsherm
10-01-19, 18:09
Perfect, then no need to ban any weapons or creste any new gun laws, or additional background checks, or any other BS.

Then again, 73.34% of all statistics are made up.

WillBrink
10-01-19, 18:13
Perfect, then no need to ban any weapons or creste any new gun laws, or additional background checks, or any other BS.

Then again, 73.34% of all statistics are made up.

Precisely. The gun banners must convince people the sky is falling to maintain any momentum and these new figures will do a nice job of yanking much wind from their sails.

Rogue556
10-01-19, 18:36
Oh, I can hear the leftists already..

"Your statistics won't bring back the dead!"

"Why would I believe the FBI? The FBI is corrupt, just look at how they've helped Trump!"

"The people that make those stats are bought and paid for by the NRA!"

"But..but.. Switzerland!.. but..but.. Australia!"

Unfortunately, at the end of the day the truth won't sway their opinion because truth isn't what they're after.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

HardToHandle
10-01-19, 20:53
http://heyjackass.com

Superb microcosm of violence in one of America’s more dangerous cities. Their deadliest hoods heat chart tells us us what we already know... Location, Location, Location

Ouch!

MountainRaven
10-01-19, 23:06
http://heyjackass.com

Superb microcosm of violence in one of America’s more dangerous cities. Their deadliest hoods heat chart tells us us what we already know... Location, Location, Location

Ouch!

Looks like those images are sized for proper viewing by ants.

Any chance you have something not microsized?

26 Inf
10-02-19, 03:00
Looks like those images are sized for proper viewing by ants.

Any chance you have something not microsized?

Click the link and look at the whole page?

joedirt199
10-02-19, 07:16
Hard to get true crime rate stats when same race violence often goes unreported. Hard to solve a case when both victim and witnesses just berrate you for the uniform you wear.

CWM11B
10-02-19, 08:14
One issue with the UCR is it is based on voluntary reporting by local agencies. Under reporting or downgrading offenses to make your city look better is a thing

WillBrink
10-02-19, 09:26
One issue with the UCR is it is based on voluntary reporting by local agencies. Under reporting or downgrading offenses to make your city look better is a thing

According to the BJS's National Crime Victimization Survey, crime is up, but also relies on surveys:

https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=6686&utm_source=juststats&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=cv18

Korgs130
10-02-19, 09:57
The same crime stats for England & Wales in 2018 are available from Office of National Statistics, a governmental department of the U.K. England & Wales considered one country with their stats. There a my comparison of their violent crime in 2018 vs the U.S.

I used the FBI’s definition of violent crime:

“In the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program, violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. Violent crimes are defined in the UCR Program as those offenses that involve force or threat of force.”

The stats below reflect incidents of these these four crime groups. From the ONS I added their stats for rape and robbery to their numbers for violent crime.

U.S.A.

Violent Crime: 1,206,836
Population: 328,231,337
Violent Crime Rate: 368.9 per 100,000

England & Wales

Violent Crime: 1,746,671
Population: 55,977,178
Violent Crime Rate: 3,120.3 per 100,000

The violent crime rate in England & Wales is 845.8 % higher than the U.S.

Here are the official sources I used:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/file?uri=/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/datasets/crimeinenglandandwalesappendixtables/yearendingdecember2018/appendixtablesyearendingdecember2018.xlsx

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2018/crime-in-the-u.s.-2018/topic-pages/violent-crime

joedirt199
10-02-19, 18:49
We are more spread out so the higher crime areas are more localized. Our relatively safe middle states help our average. Drug abuse is through the roof and crimes associated with that are running rampent. Murder doesn't effect very many people but drug addicts running through a subdivision or appartment complex can wreck people's sense of safety and security. All the gun ban nonsense drives people that would not normally buy a gun go out and get one because the news says crime is everywhere. They leave it in the car because they don't want the kids getting ahold of it in the house. Car sits in driveway because garage is full of crap. Doors left unlocked because subdivision feels safe. Druggies roam through looking for cupholders of change and other fast moving valuables. Find gun and run to the city to trade for more dope. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Bulletdog
10-02-19, 19:21
The violent crime rate in England & Wales is 845.8 % higher than the U.S.

This is brilliant. I'm copy/pasting this post and sharing it with lots of people.

HardToHandle
10-02-19, 20:02
This is brilliant. I'm copy/pasting this post and sharing it with lots of people.

In some defense of the Brits, the US UCR chronically underreports violent crime.
UCRs are driven by charged crimes for arrested persons. A-hole punches 10 people in a fight, generally one assault charge, usually the most severe charge, no matter the number of actual victims.

In the last reliable survey I saw, my state had about 45% violent crime reporting rate. That means more than half of personal crime never is reported to law enforcement. That doesn’t mean the British stats are dramatically more accurate comparatively, but we need to understand UCRs are always an understatement.

MountainRaven
10-02-19, 22:41
Probably also worth bearing in mind that legal definitions vary by jurisdiction, as well, to say nothing of how things are defined in a country whose laws we've branched off from over two hundred years ago.

So attempting an apples-to-apples comparison between different countries is very difficult.

prepare
10-03-19, 05:05
Crime stats and facts are not the same. First no city benefits from high crime, tourism suffers, college towns see a reduction in admissions, high income people move out, police chiefs, look like they're not doing their job good enough, etc. So numbers and reporting get manipulated.
Here's an example of an increase;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACPdvckwMS0

AndyLate
10-03-19, 07:14
We are more spread out so the higher crime areas are more localized. Our relatively safe middle states help our average. Drug abuse is through the roof and crimes associated with that are running rampent. Murder doesn't effect very many people but drug addicts running through a subdivision or appartment complex can wreck people's sense of safety and security. All the gun ban nonsense drives people that would not normally buy a gun go out and get one because the news says crime is everywhere. They leave it in the car because they don't want the kids getting ahold of it in the house. Car sits in driveway because garage is full of crap. Doors left unlocked because subdivision feels safe. Druggies roam through looking for cupholders of change and other fast moving valuables. Find gun and run to the city to trade for more dope. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Spot on, excellent.

I find myself buying (relatively) inexpensive "safes" for my son's as the settle into independence. They won't stop a determined thief, but they will slow them down and keep kids, freinds, and etc out.

Korgs130
10-03-19, 07:47
In some defense of the Brits, the US UCR chronically underreports violent crime.
UCRs are driven by charged crimes for arrested persons. A-hole punches 10 people in a fight, generally one assault charge, usually the most severe charge, no matter the number of actual victims.

In the last reliable survey I saw, my state had about 45% violent crime reporting rate. That means more than half of personal crime never is reported to law enforcement. That doesn’t mean the British stats are dramatically more accurate comparatively, but we need to understand UCRs are always an understatement.

I have no doubt that is the case. They are however official government statistics and make a compelling counter argument to the left’s continues push to limit firearm ownership, (“England banned assault weapons &handguns, so can we”) in order to create a “safer” society.

WillBrink
10-03-19, 07:50
Here's an example of an increase;

n= 1 is not an example of an increase. It's an example of a single attack on vid.

Adrenaline_6
10-03-19, 08:50

I wouldn't be too quick to defend the Brits. The way they report crime fudges their numbers in their favor too.

https://rboatright.blogspot.com/2013/03/comparing-england-or-uk-murder-rates.html

https://www.americas1stfreedom.org/articles/2015/7/17/how-the-uk-covers-up-murder-stats/

WillBrink
10-03-19, 08:55
I wouldn't be too quick to defend the Brits. The way they report crime fudges their numbers in their favor too.

Famously so.

prepare
10-03-19, 11:09
Almost any statistics that affect money are going to be manipulated. Follow the money...

joedirt199
10-03-19, 12:31
Softer judicial system is letting people out of jail and prison at an alarming rate. Our prisions are closing down housing units because there are not enough people to fill them. When criminals would rather go to prison then spend another day in a local jail, there is a problem. Not enough funding to give the corrections staff the raise and benefits they diserve but every inmate gets a free tablet as soon as they walk through the doors. They can watch movies, music, text, email and get to keep it when they leave. Free workout, food, room and board and now if they are homeless when they leave it is no big deal. There are no penalties for their actions. Concurrent sentences is the dumbest idea ever. Go out and commit a shit ton of charges. Get convicted of all those charges but their time runs together for all of them at thw same time. Where is the incentive to not commit more crimes? Get charged with old cases while already in prison and doesn't add any extra time to their sentence. Buy all the drugs you want in prison because security there is a joke. Prisons have been recruiting from high schools because they can't find people to do the job. Start conceal carrying every where you can it is only going to get worse.

prepare
10-03-19, 14:28
A lot of LE departments are short staffed also for the same reasons. The left coast is even using LE to clean up after the homeless.

jpmuscle
10-03-19, 16:17
Thanks to Cuomo these changes came to fruition:

As of January 1st, 2020 - the list of crimes that will NO LONGER hold a suspect on bail in NYS.... We have our governor to thank for this...

Source: the District Attorneys Association of the State of New York

Assault in the third degree
Aggravated vehicular assault
Aggravated assault upon a person less than eleven years old
Criminally negligent homicide
Aggravated vehicular homicide
Manslaughter in the second degree
Unlawful imprisonment in the first degree
Coercion in the first degree
Arson in the third and fourth degree
Grand larceny in the first degree
Criminal possession of a weapon on school grounds or criminal possession of a firearm
Criminal possession of a controlled substance in the first and second degree
Criminal sale of a controlled substance in the first and second degree
Criminal sale of a controlled substance in or near school grounds
Specified felony drug offenses involving the use of children, including the use of a child to commit a controlled substance offense and criminal sale of a controlled substance to a child
Criminal solicitation in the first degree and criminal facilitation in the first degree
Money laundering in support of terrorism in the third and fourth degree
Making a terroristic threat
Patronizing a person for prostitution in a school zone
Promoting an obscene sexual performance by a child
Possessing an obscene sexual performance by a child
Promoting a sexual performance by a child
Failure to register as a sex offender
Obstructing governmental administration in the first and second degree
Obstructing governmental administration by means of a self-defense spray device
Bribery in the first degree
Bribe giving for public office
Bribe receiving in the first degree
Promoting prison contraband in the first and second degree
Resisting arrest
Hindering prosecution
Tampering with a juror and tampering with physical evidence
Aggravated harassment in the first degree
Directing a laser at an aircraft in the first degree
Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree
Criminal sale of a firearm to a minor
Enterprise corruption and money laundering in the first degree
Aggravated cruelty to animals, overdriving, torturing and injuring animals
Failure to provide proper sustenance
Animal fighting

So yea the stats are certainly skewed towards under-reporting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joedirt199
10-03-19, 17:03
Missouri has been holding child support offenders for 30 days every time they get behind or don't pay. Sorry but there is not enough room in the jail for these people to sit around and not pay their child support while they are locked up. If they had a job before they usually don't after sitting around. They also take away their drivers license and then wonder how they are supposed to get to work. Judges can order up to 49% of your pay in child support whether you have 10 kids or 1. Pretty messed up to send 1 person to prison over something that took 2 people to create. Sure some people probably need the support but more often it is laziness or to screw the other person over.

I think everyone should do a tour in law enforcement or as many ride-alongs as they can in order to learn about the world around them. So many monday quarterbacks have all the answers about how we should do our jobs or how we should have responded a certain way but I don't see them signing up for an academy and getting out there to make the difference they claim with all the answers.

jpmuscle
10-03-19, 17:09
Family court is screwy like that.

Also I’m well aware of how ****ed up society is thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk