PDA

View Full Version : On handgun barrels...

Slater
10-02-19, 07:00
The Turkish Girsan "Regard" (an M9A1-ish clone) is promoted as having a CHF barrel while the Beretta original has a chrome-lined barrel. Not that anyone will actually shoot one out, but is one more durable than the other? I know that handgun barrels are a somewhat different animal than rifle barrels.

MegademiC
10-02-19, 07:20
Durable as far as round count or corrosion resistance?
Cl for corrosion.

For round count, it wont matter, you’re talking like 50k rounds or something like that.
From seeing stuff online, people seem to retire the gun around 20k. Id think the frame and/or slide will wear out before the barrel rifling.

sinister
10-02-19, 07:22
Not really. Hammer-forging is a way to make barrels fast and cheap.

FN makes hammer-forged GI replacement barrels for M9s.

Here are the GAO tested-to-failure parts round counts:

https://news.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/CATResults3.jpg

Outlander Systems
10-02-19, 12:59
My LGS's rental M9 went 500k before it shit le bed.

Cl for corrosion.

For round count, it wont matter, you’re talking like 50k rounds or something like that.
From seeing stuff online, people seem to retire the gun around 20k. Id think the frame and/or slide will wear out before the barrel rifling.

Talon167
10-02-19, 18:31
Cl for corrosion.

20k seems really low. Did you mean 200k?

jsbhike
10-03-19, 05:34
Parts life on an M9 from the 1990's....sort of

https://www.guns.com/news/2012/10/06/the-beretta-m9-debate-a-look-at-the-data

Take most of that with a grain of salt and not sure what testing longevity on a part with unknown prior usage tells other than someone had no idea what they were doing.

Best I can recall from an article in The American Rifleman, barrels were app. 50k, frames 40k, and slides 70k. Not sure which of those are cracks versus gauge fails either.

MegademiC
10-03-19, 07:09
20k seems really low. Did you mean 200k?

Maybe my memory has failed me, but that does seem low thinking about it now.

Point is, its high enough to not worry about imo.