PDA

View Full Version : Four killed at French police headquarters

WillBrink
10-03-19, 08:52
By a knife attack at their own headquarters, supposedly by a member of their own staff:

https://www.bbc.com/news/49921145

jsbhike
10-03-19, 08:58
And a lot of their officers are committing suicides in their police departments?

Sam
10-03-19, 13:51
Horrible.

One wonders, how does a crazy guy with some kind of blade killed 4 and wounded how many others before being stopped? I figured that killing someone with a bladed weapon isn't as quick and clean as they made it look in Kill Bill or countless Hong Kong sword fighting movies. When he's hacking on the first person, what were the others doing? just stand there and watch? or throw orange and apples at him hoping he'd stop?

Slater
10-03-19, 22:24
News reports are saying that the attacker was a recent convert to Islam.

gaijin
10-04-19, 04:50

But of course.

prepare
10-04-19, 04:59
^ Thats why they didn't release the name.

flenna
10-04-19, 05:48
The religion of peace strikes again.....

SomeOtherGuy
10-04-19, 09:08
French police stage major protest and march over working conditions. 52 police suicides in the last year.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/french-police-stage-massive-anger-march-over-working-conditions-low-morale-and-suicide

moonshot
10-04-19, 09:39

Source? I haven’t seen that anywhere.

C-grunt
10-04-19, 10:25
Source? I haven’t seen that anywhere.

I saw it last night. Maybe NY Post?

prepare
10-04-19, 10:43
French police stage major protest and march over working conditions. 52 police suicides in the last year.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/french-police-stage-massive-anger-march-over-working-conditions-low-morale-and-suicide

Why not just change jobs?

prepare
10-04-19, 10:44

The_War_Wagon
10-04-19, 11:12

The religion of peace, love, and doobs?!?!? :eek:

PSHAW, you say! :rolleyes:

WillBrink
10-04-19, 11:40
The religion of peace strikes again.....

Damn Mormons! Oh wait...

titsonritz
10-04-19, 13:38
It's Trump's and Israel's fault.

Averageman
10-04-19, 14:13
How do you kill four Cops in a Police Station without someone stopping the event at the first stabbing?

Sam
10-04-19, 15:19
How do you kill four Cops in a Police Station without someone stopping the event at the first stabbing?

Someone asked the same in post #3.

sgtrock82
10-04-19, 16:18
How do you kill four Cops in a Police Station without someone stopping the event at the first stabbing?Probably a training issue if I were to guess. I wouldnt be suprised if any combative training is given selectively and everyone else gets de escalation techniques and walkie talkies.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

jsbhike
10-04-19, 16:35

3 cops, and the way the article is written I wonder if that is correct. If that was in the article yesterday I do not know how I missed it considering today it is in bold in the very first part of it. Yesterday it seemed like it was entirely administrative people.

dwhitehorne
10-05-19, 10:23
You would be amazed at how many upper management/admin types leave their guns in the desk drawer or file cabinet. It’s funny to see a Commander who I know never carries the issued firearm show up to the range like the 5.11 poster child. David

HardToHandle
10-05-19, 14:50
WSJ reports the POS was a relatively recent convert. The story talked about the French challenges in insider threat triage, which has been tough historically for the best. Fort Hood underscores the challenge.

POS also also killed in several locations - an office, stairway and then was ventilated in the courtyard. Difficult environments to react to an unexpected threat. The victims sound in part like intel analysts too, likely civilians and unarmed.

Well done to the copper who finished the job. Keeping the death toll low is a credit to the man or woman on the scene.

jpmuscle
10-05-19, 15:19
You would be amazed at how many upper management/admin types leave their guns in the desk drawer or file cabinet. It’s funny to see a Commander who I know never carries the issued firearm show up to the range like the 5.11 poster child. David

Scary how accurately true this is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MountainRaven
10-06-19, 13:51
Horrible.

One wonders, how does a crazy guy with some kind of blade killed 4 and wounded how many others before being stopped? I figured that killing someone with a bladed weapon isn't as quick and clean as they made it look in Kill Bill or countless Hong Kong sword fighting movies. When he's hacking on the first person, what were the others doing? just stand there and watch? or throw orange and apples at him hoping he'd stop?

Not all French cops are armed.

The first police officer to confront the Charlie Hebdo attackers was unarmed. And also an adherent of the Religion of Peace.

Not an easy thing in France, where the unemployment rate is at a ten year low of 8.5%.

T2C
10-06-19, 22:29

A highly motivated individual with an edged weapon, or any deadly weapon for that matter, can inflict a lot of damage in a close contact situation in a very short period of time.

This is a sad situation indeed. Let's hope it's a very long time before something like this happens again.

SomeOtherGuy
10-07-19, 12:08
This sheds more light on it:

https://gatesofvienna.net/2019/10/knife-jihad-at-the-paris-prefecture-the-killer-was-a-known-wolf/

It indicates he converted to Islam years ago, but was more recently radicalized. Surprise, surprise.

.223Pound
10-09-19, 23:34
4 killed without a gun, Wow i thought such things can only happen when a firearm is involved. i guess the weapon is not the problem. People are.

Averageman
10-10-19, 00:25
A highly motivated individual with an edged weapon, or any deadly weapon for that matter, can inflict a lot of damage in a close contact situation in a very short period of time.

I get that with one, maybe two, but four?
Nobody yelled, screamed, jumped around, fought back? I just don't believe people go easy on a knife fight.

I've got a feeling that if they had any guns, they were "safely" locked away so nobody got hurt.

Sam
10-10-19, 05:39
Nobody yelled, screamed, jumped around, fought back? I just don't believe people go easy on a knife fight.

That was my point.

MegademiC
10-10-19, 20:53

I've got a feeling that if they had any guns, they were "safely" locked away so nobody got hurt.

It only takes a fraction of a second to kill someone with a knife.
It may take them a few minutes to die- but to do the deed is no slower, possibly quicker than a gun.

Sam
10-11-19, 05:29
It only takes a fraction of a second to kill someone with a knife.
It may take them a few minutes to die- but to do the deed is no slower, possibly quicker than a gun.

Really? you've done it before?

T2C
10-11-19, 16:47

Even if you have a firearm on your person, someone can get the drop on you if your situational awareness and readiness is not at a high level.

I am not second guessing those who were directly involved. Do some of you think they felt safe inside a police station?

jpmuscle
10-11-19, 18:11
I’d be inclined to think the culture and mindset of policing is nothing like here in the states. I wouldn’t be surprised if their constantly behind the loop as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis
10-11-19, 19:19
I’d be inclined to think the culture and mindset of policing is nothing like here in the states. I wouldn’t be surprised if their constantly behind the loop as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAfter spending multiple tourist weeks in Paris over the years as well as some insider Dept training perspective I would say their front line uniformed patrol guys seem as squared away as any here in the States. I cannot say the same for most of the other Agencies I have seen around the world.

I do see how a sufficiently motivated long time 'civilian' employee could manage this in at least my similarly large Dept.

Dennis.

HardToHandle
10-12-19, 06:31
After spending multiple tourist weeks in Paris over the years as well as some insider Dept training perspective I would say their front line uniformed patrol guys seem as squared away as any here in the States. I cannot say the same for most of the other Agencies I have seen around the world.

I do see how a sufficiently motivated long time 'civilian' employee could manage this in at least my similarly large Dept.

Dennis.

Total agreement. French cops, especially Paris, are competent based on my experience. Every French cop in municipal Paris looked much more put together than the best of Chicago PD (I interact with CPD almost monthly).

The French counter terrorism activities are a way higher tempo than the US. The coordinated 2015 terrorist attack in Paris hit six roughly simultaneous targets, including the Bataclan Theatre. The locals handled that pretty admirably and likely better than any city in the US could. I think of the last time I was in the LaGuardia terminal two years ago - I counted five different armed government agencies standing around... That free fire zone would be a guaranteed shitshow. Anyone is dogging on the Parisian police is sorely disconnected from the threat environment and recent history.

The reporting indicated the guy killed two co-workers in a sequestered intelligence cell (think SCIF) after lunch and then did another ambush in a stairway. Since the Prefect of Police building looked to be early 1800’s construction based on my last time there, it is a safe assumption it was narrow, vertical stairs. I have no reservation saying the advantages were all to the bad guy - the POS had the initiative and chose constrained areas to execute the ambush.

pinzgauer
10-12-19, 08:39
Total agreement. French cops, especially Paris, are competent based on my experience. Every French cop in municipal Paris looked much more put together than the best of Chicago PD (I interact with CPD almost monthly).

The French counter terrorism activities are a way higher tempo than the US. The coordinated 2015 terrorist attack in Paris hit six roughly simultaneous targets, including the Bataclan Theatre.

We had been spending some time in western coastal Europe and decided to drive into Paris for a day to see the mil museum and Napolean's tomb. Had some time and went to Notre Dame.

Lots of police around, about half appeared unarmed. (Parking police?)

Then all the sudden here are these legionaire 2REP looking types with M4s and full rattle gear. Completely switched on. Locked and loaded (most had windowed pmags, which I thought was interesting)

Turns out they just had intel of an imminant attack. Turned out to be the Barcelona la rambla truck attack, but they did not know that at the time. (Happened later that same day) Clearing streets, towing large vans away and parking police vehicles in their spot, in minutes the area transformed.

No yelling, no panic, just a bunch of very serious dudes working with the regular leo in pretty tight coordination.