PDA

View Full Version : New railed handguard

josey88
11-15-08, 14:08
I am thinking in buying a railed handguard for my CD M4LE. My choice originally was a Midwest M20 free float , but later I changed mi mind and now I am set on a Daniel Defense Omega 7 . I want to complement that with a Tangodown stubby vertical grip, the new model, quick release. Am I doing the right thinking and chosing the right components ? I will apreciate any comments on those items, specially the DD handguard... Thanks

mvician
11-15-08, 14:55
The Omega and TD QD sound like a great combo to me.
The MI rails are too "fat" IMO

KyAKGuy
11-15-08, 15:35
Get the DD Omega 7.0...Great rail.
I have one on my primary AR.
Quality, light weight, strong. Great company...

Do it!

KyAKGuy

Solomon
11-15-08, 15:51
DD Omega 7.0 for the rail & LaRue Tactical F.U.G. for the vertical grip

BushmasterFanBoy
11-15-08, 16:20
The Omega is an excellent rail, I don't think anyone here would fault you for choosing that rail.

Keep in mind that there are also other great options such as LaRue Tactical railed handguards and they too offer a forward grip which can be quickly converted from short, medium, and tall. It also has quick detach throw levers similar to the Tango Down product. The LaRue rail has the integral QD studs which I really like. You also don't have to deal with a two piece setup with a bunch of screws.
NOT FACTUAL:
*I believe the LaRue is a one piece forearm which is glued to the rear end, but I'm not 100% certain.
In my opinion this seems a bit sturdier than the Omega, but I don't have any data or experience to back that up, just my personal opinion from the fact that the Omega is two piece with a bunch of screws. Like I said this is just my opinion no facts or experience to back this up. If someone knows the truth that would be great to hear.

ddemis
11-15-08, 16:57
No doubt about it, DD OMEGA RAIL is the best ever. I have one on my Rock River and use it alot, no complaints. You won't be disappointed.

SuicideHz
11-15-08, 19:08
I use the DD Omega with a standard TD I shortened. Excellent combo. Forget the fat MI handguard...

BmFB- The Larue is a totally different rail. It is not glued. The machined rail is bonded to the portion machined to attach to the barrel nut. The LaRue attaches the way most FF rails do- the new barrel nut replaces the stock barrel nut and the new rail has a threaded ring that tightens down on the railed fore end.

Don't forget we are talking about the Omega- the way you brought up the LT's QD swivel mounts made it sound like you thought this was an advantage- the Omega has the same mount points.

Also saying the Omega may be inferior to the LT (a product not being discussed here) is unfair- it's not made to compete with any of LT's products, although it does a very good job.

The DD uses no more screws than many other similar rails. Even the LT rail uses two of them iirc.

The Omega is a heck of a rail. I can't believe how solid it is!

TAP
11-15-08, 21:29
DD Omega 7.0 for the rail & LaRue Tactical F.U.G. for the vertical grip

+1

DD omega is a great two piece rail. I also have a DD lite which is better but it is more difficult to install. I have a DD omega 9.0 on my 16" middy and DD lite 7.0 on my 14.5" carbine.

I am a big fan of the Larue FUG vertical grip. It is solid and has 3 different length options.

BushmasterFanBoy
11-16-08, 01:21
Forget the fat MI handguard...
BmFB- The Larue is a totally different rail. It is not glued. The machined rail is bonded to the portion machined to attach to the barrel nut. The LaRue attaches the way most FF rails do- the new barrel nut replaces the stock barrel nut and the new rail has a threaded ring that tightens down on the railed fore end.

I agree about the M.I. rail system. I had one of the M.I. 17 two piece rails and they were nice, but very bulky, especially with the KAC panels on them. Not a bad rail for the price though.

Thanks SuicideHz for correcting me. I knew I was talking about stuff I had no clue about and am glad someone could clear that up.
BUT;
I'm pretty sure LaRue uses some type of industrial adhesive to bond the machined rail body to the rear end barrel nut area. It's a blue color and often times you can see bits of the light blue adhesive sticking out of that area.
It's a solid ass rail, I have two of them on both of my carbines. Throw in LaRue's AMAZING customer service and extra goodies that they give you when you order direct, you got yourself a hell of a product. :D

SuicideHz
11-16-08, 01:38
Hey no problem. I believe you are referring to one single pic that was posted of one rail that had a fault with that bonding material. It really caused a stir two years ago and created some HUGE rifts between very well respected men and many bystanders. It's something of a non issue and doesn't need to be brought up anymore.

That adhesive was described as a cold bonding method- similar to welding in it's properties and effects on the parts that are bonded.

Somehow that rail had excess and it looked bad- like loc-tite. I was happy to give Mark a lot of crap at that time but it was uncalled for. His methods and choices in materials are top notch. I've never owned any of his rails as I had always liked my DDs. But after using several of his other products including Aimpoint mounts, ACOG mounts, scope mounts and an Eotech mount, I know that he does what has to be done to make the best product out there. If the method he chose to bond the parts, then it was the best choice and in no way inferior- I believe this.

There are people that use his products on two way ranges and I have NEVER seen one fail or heard about one that has failed.

Why are we talking about LaRue? :p

The DD Omega is a work of art when you look at how it works and what it actually accomplishes in the end. I use KAC panels on mine and it is in total, as wide as an M4 handguard. They are excellent pieces of kit.

What's the MI go for these days, new?

I'd like to add, I even installed it's closest competition (if you will), a Troy carbine length free float rail, on an M4 clone for a friend. I don't remember what he paid for it but I'd never buy one when the DD Omega is available. Cutting off the delta ring, snap ring and weld spring wasn't too difficult but it's a stupid way of doing things IMHO when the DD is available. It wasn't at the time though... Yeah, I'm at fault now for introducing yet another product that the OP isn't interested in...