PDA

View Full Version : Creepy algorithms suggesting videos....

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-07-19, 23:36
So I'm in a hotel, by the highway, on the noisy side. The highway noise is inconsistent and louder than the crappy AC fan.. I think , I'll go to Youtube and get some kind of rain storm or white noise video. I open the website up and the first video in the upper left - you guessed it- A rain and thunder deep noise 10 hour video. Now, I never typed anything in looking for one, and I opened the webpage only after I thought about the noise- so it isn't like I was prompted to the idea by the page.

WTF

Are their algorithms that complex? Is it because it is late at night? It can tell I'm on hotel wi-fi? Is it listening to the trucks???

MorphCross
10-08-19, 00:18
The algorithms can be creepy good especially if you allow the high accuracy location data sharing on applications. For example: a person that goes on frequent runs of two miles or more in four out of seven days a week will likely find advertising for running shoes.

If an advertisement that is suggested gets a click the algorithm recognizes that the data it used to target something to you was good and it will keep repeating the suggestion.

The other factor at play is the fact that other guests at the hotel have done the same thing you were looking to do and as you are using the hotel Wi-Fi and the time you were accessing YouTube was when most would be going down for the night so again a creepy suggestion based on success of a guess.

QuackXP
10-08-19, 16:05
It's probably location based. A ton of people at that location looked up the same thing so now its at the top of the suggestion list. Location could be IP, wifi ssid, etc.

Aries144
10-09-19, 01:14
I don't think it is just location based. The other night, I played a game of warthunder tanks with a buddy on my PC, talking to each other over teamspeak. My phone sits on my desk to charge. That night, my ****ing iphone youtube suggested videos had two warthunder tank videos at the top of the list. I'm not even signed on to youtube on ym phone and I've never searched warthunder on it.

**** google, **** microsoft, **** apple and **** all the other megalomaniac pieces of shit who are full enough of hubris to think they can make the world a better place by running the little people's lives.

Alex V
10-09-19, 04:40
Watch The Great Hack on Netflix. I haven’t checked it out yet myself but my coworker tells me it’s all about data mining by the social media giants.

That’s how they make money. Collecting and selling your data.

jsbhike
10-09-19, 07:39
Had products/services mentioned in texts and got pop up ads for said products later. A coworker swears he has had phone conversations that resulted in pop up ads within hours.

Outlander Systems
10-09-19, 08:03
Go here: https://clickclickclick.click (it's safe).

Then extrapolate accordingly...

tb417
10-09-19, 13:11
I've accepted that Google tracks cookies, and my phone listens to me. But when you're thinking about a movie and it comes on network TV, it makes me believe we're in the Matrix.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk