PDA

View Full Version : FN 45 & HK 45

Hawkeye
11-15-08, 15:50
Just for informational purposes..... I know that some of you have handled and fired both the FN 45 USG model and the HK 45. Just wondering about how you thought they compared to each other, and individual thoughts on each (especially in regards to handling, accuracy, ergonomics, reliability, followup shot speed, etc..).

John_Wayne777
11-15-08, 16:05
I don't have extensive time on both platforms, but I have put some rounds downrange with both. Personally I prefer the HK45. It handles better, fits my hands better, and the trigger was better than on the FN .45 models I've fired.

HK45
11-15-08, 17:35
I prefer the Hk 45. Much better ergo's, can carry cocked ad locked with Single Action trigger. Not as big and blocky.

Hawkeye
11-15-08, 19:07
The FN can carry cocked and locked as well.

VA_Dinger
11-15-08, 19:57
I've only gotten to handle the FN a few times, and shot maybe fifty rounds but it seemed like an outstanding handgun to me. I would not hesitate to buy one.

The HK45 on the other hand is my absolute favorite handgun. If .45 ammo was cheaper an HK45/HK45C would always be in my holster. I love the ergo's, locked & cocked single action, mag catch design & quick manipulation, thumb safety feel, top notch quality construction, ETC. I know LAV has issues with the trench in the trigger guard but I have never even noticed it. Mine is also a damn laser accuracy wise. Even though I've never spent the time to get 100% comfortable with mine I can still shoot damn tight groups with it. It is a very impressive handgun. I'd love it if HK would make a 9mm version of it.

davemcdonald
11-15-08, 20:03
I have shot the HK45 but not the FN. The HKshot great and felt good in the hand.

Dinger have you compared a P30 or P30L to the HK45?

Dave

kingc
11-15-08, 20:18
I had the HK45 with the standard trigger and thought it's trigger was very rough. Both SA and especially DA were heavier than I had expected. I HAD expected something much better after reading all the articles in favor of it. Quickly sent the pistol into the netherlands. It was well made, and HK perfection in all areas, sturdy as a tank, just not the trigger department(IMO). Is there something that others are doing to improve that part?

IrishDevil
11-15-08, 20:30
I haven't shot the USG model, but I have 200 rds on the standard model. I like it, large frame which is easy to handle, even with my medium sized hands. I prefer my HK45/45C, better ergos and controls. The HK45C is my top pick, it's like the G19 of the .45 world, IMO of course.

bullitt5172
11-15-08, 21:18
Guess I'll go against the grain, I prefer the FN to the HK. The HK45 is probably the best HK in a long time but it still does nothing for me. I just do not like HK's. The FN felt better and I shoot it better. That being said, I still prefer the Glock G21SF to both of them.

HK45
11-22-08, 14:22
I thought the FN does not have a single action trigger even when cocked and locked but after checking their web site it looks like I was mistaken.

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF020&gid=FNG001

The FN can carry cocked and locked as well.

bullitt5172
11-22-08, 14:24
if I remember correctly the FN does not have a single action trigger even when cocked and locked.

:confused:

HK45
11-22-08, 14:31
I have noticed the trigger and the finish has gotten better on the Hk 45 since it's introduction.

I had the HK45 with the standard trigger and thought it's trigger was very rough. Both SA and especially DA were heavier than I had expected. I HAD expected something much better after reading all the articles in favor of it. Quickly sent the pistol into the netherlands. It was well made, and HK perfection in all areas, sturdy as a tank, just not the trigger department(IMO). Is there something that others are doing to improve that part?

williejc
11-22-08, 21:30
My FNP.45 is SA/DA with a decocker and no safety. FN has a recently introduced variant with the SA trigger and cocked and locked capability and upgraded sights.

My gun has performed flawlessly for 1100 rds and demonstrates target accuracy. It is a big handgun.

subzero
11-22-08, 22:22
Between the two I would take the HK, no contest. This coming from someone who does like HKs as a rule. I would take a proper 1911 or M&P45 over either one without thinking twice.

The FN has less desirable ergonomics while the HK feels better in hand. The FN feels rather like a G21SF to me, just a bit too big. I was reminded of the Mk23 when I picked it up. Perhaps not in grip circumference, but in overall size of the gun. It seemed very tall and long.

Both have a higher bore axis than I would prefer. I can't speak for the reliability of either platform having only shot each one for less than 100 rds. The triggers I have tried have felt roughly equivalent...neither stood out above the other.

If HK would start putting in a version of the trigger that didn't have the safety acting as a decocker as well, it'd be easily on par with an M&P45. I do not recall if the FN safety also acts as a decocker, but I'm tempted to say it does not. That's my big gripe with the HK as it is now.

maximus83
11-23-08, 11:06
I've only gotten to handle the FN a few times, and shot maybe fifty rounds but it seemed like an outstanding handgun to me. I would not hesitate to buy one.

Same here. My own plastic pistol favorite is the M&P, but I'd also have no qualms about trying the FN, and is probably the one I'd get if I already had several M&P's and wanted to own something different.

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-23-08, 22:47
The only FN 45 I had a chance to shoot had some feed problems. Other than that it, which I presume was a fluke, seemed nice.

On the other hand, the HK45 is a phenomenal handgun that I enjoy very much. I have shot over 10k through mine and it has not malfunctioned. I took it through classes with Vickers, Hackathorn, etc and it has never embarrassed me. If someone would build a .22 kit for it I would probably retire my other guns.