PDA

View Full Version : Match 9mm ammo ?

Pappabear
10-11-19, 16:47
I have been shooting Blazer and Magtech ammo in local matches. Im told it is some of the hottest factory ammo. Who makes some 9mm with lower velocities ? I don't care if it 115, 124 or 147 but probably prefer 124gr.

Any help appreciated.

PB

lsllc
10-11-19, 16:59
Federal Syntech 150 gr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam
10-11-19, 21:49
I have been shooting Blazer and Magtech ammo in local matches. Im told it is some of the hottest factory ammo. Who makes some 9mm with lower velocities ? I don't care if it 115, 124 or 147 but probably prefer 124gr.

Any help appreciated.

PB

Who told you that Magtech and Blazer are some of the hottest 9mm ammo? They must only shoot .380 and .32. Chronograph doesn't lie. Those two ammo are average range ammo, not hot at all. Their velocities average just under 1100 fps.

Some of the top notch professional competitive shooters are sponsored by Atlanta Arms. Match ammo are not cheap, beware.

Here is one of their offerings:

https://atlantaarms.com/products/products-9mm-147gr-fmj-html/

Renegade
10-11-19, 22:14

For standard 115 (no +P, etc) out of a G17

Blazer (Al) is the hottest I have shot, at 1225 fps.

UMC is around 1125.

Of course, if low velocity is what you want, 165 grain would be the ticket.

GJM
10-11-19, 23:19
Federal Syntech 150 gr

This right here!

spence
10-11-19, 23:20
Going off manafacturer's specs, definitely not the hottest stuff.
All the first numbers are the manafacturer's. The YT number are from Buffman Range's on YouTube. Should at least give you an idea what a few loads are doing.
For the lower end of the spectrum, I tend to like the Federal Champion and UMC, but since the only real place I ever saw them, at least for money I wanted to pay, was WalMart, I won't be getting any more any time soon. I've also shot a fair bit of the Magtech 124 and S&B 124 in my M9 and they're really mild shooting, too.
I err toward buying S&B, Fiocchi, or Geco most of the time because they usually are priced the best from the suppliers I buy from.

If you specifically want lower velocity, buy the heavier end of the bullet spectrum. Probably the mildest shooting of what I've shot at least, is the S&B 124.

Magtech 115 gr - 1135 - YT 1090 (3.6") 1200 (5")
Magtech 124 gr - 1110 - YT 1150 (4.5")
Blazer Brass 115 gr - 1145
UMC 115 gr - 1145
Federal Champion 115 gr - 1125
Sellier & Bellot 115 gr - 1280 (5" barrel) - YT 1100 (3.6"), 1180 (5")
Sellier & Bellot 124 gr - 1180 (5" barrel) - YT 1025 (3.6"), 1100 (5")
Fiocchi 115 gr - 1200 - YT - 1150 (4"), 1200 (5")
American Eagle 115 gr - 1180 - YT 1150 (4.5")
American Eagle 124 gr - 1150 -
Aguila 115 gr - 1150 - YT 1060 (3.6"), 1150 (5")
Geco 124 gr - 1180

Tx_Aggie
10-11-19, 23:46
Winchester has a 147gr 9mm loading marked "Training" that is pretty soft shooting, around 950 fps IIRC. There are several other 147gr Subsonic loads available commercially that come in around the same velocity.

None of it will be as cheap as 115gr though.

26 Inf
10-12-19, 02:04
Papabear,

Are you concerned about felt recoil or accuracy?

As mentioned the 147gr bullets will, in general, be softer shooting. The downside is slower cycling, which may be an issue in getting back on target in some games.

ST911
10-12-19, 08:46
Except at extremes, I haven't found velocity to be particularly useful at predicting recoil attributes and "shootability". Two cartridges of the same bullet weight and chrono'ed velocity can be different in recoil and POI. One example off the top of my head is the Speer Lawman 53620 and the legacy Federal AE9FP.

"Match" ammo would need to be defined, accuracy spec, if you want to hit a certain power factor, etc. Easiest thing to do is buy a box of everything you have access to and find something you like. The problem with that is a load may not be the same between lots, or even within a given lot in some places.

Tx_Aggie
10-12-19, 08:59
Except at extremes, I haven't found velocity to be particularly useful at predicting recoil attributes and "shootability". Two cartridges of the same bullet weight and chrono'ed velocity can be different in recoil and POI. One example off the top of my head is the Speer Lawman 53620 and the legacy Federal AE9FP.

"Match" ammo would need to be defined, accuracy spec, if you want to hit a certain power factor, etc. Easiest thing to do is buy a box of everything you have access to and find something you like. The problem with that is a load may not be the same between lots, or even within a given lot in some places.

Great post. Where's the like button?

It sounds like the reasons above are why a lot of pistol shooters end up reloading, more than any sort of cost savings. Do you load 9mm?

BuzzinSATX
10-12-19, 09:03
In one of the “Wilson Combat Gun Guys” YouTube videos, Bill Wilson mentioned something about Wilson Combat using/shooting a lot of PMC ammo because it was soft shooting and reliable. Can’t remember which specific video it was...

Wake27
10-12-19, 09:59
I didn’t think blazer was supposed to be hot. I’ve never paid much attention though, I just always assumed that the cheap 115gr stuff that can be found anywhere was the weakest.

Personally I like the Win NATO stuff for competition. Obviously it’s on the opposite end of low velocity, but so far it’s seemed to be pretty accurate and consistent, and most importantly it cycles my KKM comp very well. If not for the latter, I’d probably experiment with lower velocity stuff, but there’s something to be said for practicing with hotter loads if you carry +P IMO.

lsllc
10-12-19, 10:32
If you’re running a comp, it’s certainly a good thing to have the extra gas.

Gunnar da Wolf
10-12-19, 13:11
+1 on the Winchester 124gr NATO stuff. Very consistent and accurate out of all my 9mm guns.

Pappabear
10-12-19, 17:49
Thanks for the replies. Yes, what I was looking for was low recoil stuff. Velocity doesn’t mean shit to me. gaijin also said Blaser and magtech was reasonable factory fodder. I found some 147’s shooting 880 FPS that I’m going to try. A little more expensive, but not crazy like other “ match “ ammo was. If I’m impressed I’ll post results. Don’t want to give a plug to some crappy ammo mfg that doesn’t deserve it.

PB

.223Pound
10-12-19, 18:03
Most guys are running 124s or 147s. The 115s are a bit snappy (more often used in Steel Challenge, where there is no powder floor) and the 160s are for hand loaders. You just have to see what fits your rhythm best out of your gun.

flanntastic
10-12-19, 18:47
Allot of my buddies shoot hush puppy from supervel, it’s crazy soft shooting. But the prices scares me off

MegademiC
10-12-19, 20:13
Most guys are running 124s or 147s. The 115s are a bit snappy (more often used in Steel Challenge, where there is no powder floor) and the 160s are for hand loaders. You just have to see what fits your rhythm best out of your gun.

This. I dont know yet if any of it affects scores, but the 115 is a little fast(slide action) and the 147 is slow. I recently switched to AE124 grain. In practice- i seem to be able to pick up more A hits at full speed, but I think its just what I “like”.

I was shooting federal champion before, but the AE is noticeably more accurate on 25yd targets.

Dont adopt something that will limit your ability to hit 25yd heads, because they show up in matches occasionally.

GJM
10-12-19, 20:33
In one of the “Wilson Combat Gun Guys” YouTube videos, Bill Wilson mentioned something about Wilson Combat using/shooting a lot of PMC ammo because it was soft shooting and reliable. Can’t remember which specific video it was...

Bill told me the same five or so years ago, and I have shot tens of thousands of PMC 115 from SGAmmo. It is clean, reliable and accurate. Out of a 320 X5 is is at 130 PF, might not make minor in USPSA out of a four inch barrel, and sometimes leaves steel standing.

Uni-Vibe
10-19-19, 01:17
+1 on the Winchester 124gr NATO stuff. Very consistent and accurate out of all my 9mm guns.
It's my carry ammo. I trust my life to it.

MegademiC
10-19-19, 11:13
I just tried some geco 115 gr and am impressed with the accuracy.
Its advertised as ipsc minor, but havent chronoed it yet, so not sure how consistent or “into” the minor power factor it is.
I would not hesitate to use it for locals.

lsllc
10-19-19, 11:14
It's my carry ammo. I trust my life to it.

You carry ball by choice? Lordy!

Wake27
10-19-19, 21:59
You carry ball by choice? Lordy!

Yeah, we've been over it a few times, it always ends the same...

lsllc
10-19-19, 22:06
Yeah, we've been over it a few times, it always ends the same...

I’m sure it’s an interesting conversation.

As somebody doing trauma for a living, FMJ/Ball has a terrible track record.

26 Inf
10-20-19, 00:06
I’m sure it’s an interesting conversation.

As somebody doing trauma for a living, FMJ/Ball has a terrible track record.

His focus is on accuracy, nothing but C4 hits.

sidewaysil80
10-20-19, 09:02
Honestly for the cost and fact it’s only for competition, just reload your own. You can pick up a Lee Classic Turret and it’s a great beginner press is sort of an in between a single stage and progressive.

I’m using a polymer coated bullet because
1. they’re cheaper
2. since the coating isn’t as thick as a plated bullet, they allow for less powder to achieve desired velocity

With that and years of shooting matches I have a 147gr 9mm round that uses quality powder and Federal primers (softest/reliable) for about .12-.17/round. It’s ridiculously soft shooting and without exaggeration it has same perceived recoil as a .22 pistol out of my 1911.

I’ve shot Atlanta Arms, Speer, Federal, Winchester, etc. and NOTHING comes close to hand loads tuned to your firearm in terms of cost and felt recoil/snappiness.

MegademiC
10-20-19, 21:56
Honestly for the cost and fact it’s only for competition, just reload your own. You can pick up a Lee Classic Turret and it’s a great beginner press is sort of an in between a single stage and progressive.

I’m using a polymer coated bullet because
1. they’re cheaper
2. since the coating isn’t as thick as a plated bullet, they allow for less powder to achieve desired velocity

With that and years of shooting matches I have a 147gr 9mm round that uses quality powder and Federal primers (softest/reliable) for about .12-.17/round. It’s ridiculously soft shooting and without exaggeration it has same perceived recoil as a .22 pistol out of my 1911.

I’ve shot Atlanta Arms, Speer, Federal, Winchester, etc. and NOTHING comes close to hand loads tuned to your firearm in terms of cost and felt recoil/snappiness.

They are not the softest shooting, but bulk ammo can be had for $.16/rd right now... all comes down to how much free time you have. I quit reloading for the time being and am saving brass. If ammo goes back up or becomes less available (election panic?) i’ll dust it off. Definately good to have the option.

10-21-19, 07:19
As somebody doing trauma for a living,

Yup, we’ve played that card already, also.

lsllc
10-21-19, 07:30
Yup, we’ve played that card already, also.

Can’t fix stupid, huh?

Pappabear
10-22-19, 11:49
Im shooting a match tonight and I tried some of the low velocity / recoil ammo at the range the other day. It definitely felt better, but I dont know if I'm good enough for such a small gain will make much difference to me. There is a lot of other shit I need to work on.

Range report to follow.

PB

Wake27
10-22-19, 12:39
Im shooting a match tonight and I tried some of the low velocity / recoil ammo at the range the other day. It definitely felt better, but I dont know if I'm good enough for such a small gain will make much difference to me. There is a lot of other shit I need to work on.

Range report to follow.

PB

Which stuff, syntech?

lsllc
10-22-19, 13:35
Man you just need to load your own. It takes time but you’ll learn your load. Shooting something else will feel different. It’s best to get something that works and stay with it.

147 gr acme
Sport pistol
Federal small pistol primers

Warp
10-25-19, 15:56
Atlanta Arms
Current carry ammo
Anything that is not Winc-

snapcap
10-26-19, 02:10
Shoot mostly S&B subsonic FMJ 140 grain for IPSC. I am using a 10 lbs recoil spring. Good accuarcy and I feel that steel targets respond better.

Wild Geese 1
10-26-19, 10:07
Just load your own

capbuster
10-26-19, 14:17
Thank you for clearing that up about Blazer and Mag tech. Take care!

Pappabear
10-26-19, 16:45
I shot Fenix ammo competition 147 grain. It shot nice and I did 2nd in my class.. Very small 40 person deal, so no big deal. Ill stick with this for a while. Im running a 12lb spring and felt recoil is very manageable. It was $220 for a thousand. They have much other more expensive stuff. Ill practice with cheaper stuff like Blazer or Magtech.

Im not loading pistol ammo, not my thing. I know I should but just don't want it bad enough.

PB

Ron3
10-27-19, 12:36
Not always a pattern with brands.

I've found the best thing to do is just try several types of loads and see what's best from that gun.

As for 9mm fmj for SD, my main concern would be over penetration.

lsllc
10-27-19, 12:44
I shot Fenix ammo competition 147 grain. It shot nice and I did 2nd in my class.. Very small 40 person deal, so no big deal. Ill stick with this for a while. Im running a 12lb spring and felt recoil is very manageable. It was $220 for a thousand. They have much other more expensive stuff. Ill practice with cheaper stuff like Blazer or Magtech.

Im not loading pistol ammo, not my thing. I know I should but just don't want it bad enough.

PB

Ultimately, if you want to level up, stick to the same load for practice and competition. You’ll learn the timing of your gun better.

ceb
10-27-19, 13:36
I have pretty much settled on Speer Lawman 124gr fmj for all my practice and match ammo, it's accurate and reliable for me. Shoots about the same as my 124gr HST carry ammo.

Wake27
10-27-19, 14:05
I have pretty much settled on Speer Lawman 124gr fmj for all my practice and match ammo, it's accurate and reliable for me. Shoots about the same as my 124gr HST carry ammo.

Just bought two cases, looking forward to trying it in the current guns.

1986s4
10-28-19, 08:34
For what it's worth I no longer reload for soft recoil and reasonable accuracy. I load more for reliability and accuracy. Enough push to cycle a dirty action is more important to me. Years ago Angus Hobdell told a bunch of us that the CZ [9mm] was most accurate with middle weight bullets 124/125 gr. weight was best.

MegademiC
10-29-19, 10:17
For what it's worth I no longer reload for soft recoil and reasonable accuracy. I load more for reliability and accuracy. Enough push to cycle a dirty action is more important to me. Years ago Angus Hobdell told a bunch of us that the CZ [9mm] was most accurate with middle weight bullets 124/125 gr. weight was best.

Recoil difference between standard pressure loads is one of the most overrated things, other than triggers.
It wont matter. To your point, your gun jamming will absolutely cost you places in a match. So will steel not falling.

Just to be clear, the recoil impulse will be different, but if you practice with your match ammo, you ‘ll know how to grip it.

1986s4
10-29-19, 10:39
Recoil difference between standard pressure loads is one of the most overrated things, other than triggers.
It wont matter. To your point, your gun jamming will absolutely cost you places in a match. So will steel not falling.

Just to be clear, the recoil impulse will be different, but if you practice with your match ammo, you ‘ll know how to grip it.

Agreed. Along with decently powered ammo I use full strength springs, again, to better close the action when dirty. I've experimented with soft springs and super fast powder in my .38 super colt. I did get soft recoil and a flat shooting gun but at the cost of a much narrower window of reliable function. But the real deal breaker for me was a blown case head due to the VV N310 powder and just the right amount of powder, maybe a worn out case.. I don't know but it hasn't happened since I went to VV N340.

shadowrider
10-29-19, 13:34
But the real deal breaker for me was a blown case head due to the VV N310 powder and just the right amount of powder, maybe a worn out case.. I don't know but it hasn't happened since I went to VV N340.
I've been using e3 which is right up there on the chart with N310. I haven't had any blown cases or issues and its a great powder in that it's not temp sensitive at all. But I'm going the same direction as you and moving to BE-86. The uber fast powders do shoot softer, but I don't believe there's any benefit unless you are shooting at USPSA Master class level or maybe a solid A class which I'm not. Proper gun function is far far more important. It's also nice to just consolidate on a single powder or two for everything.

1986s4
10-29-19, 13:55
If I can get it I'm going to VV N330 which will be great for 9mm and .38 Super Auto.

Straight Shooter
11-02-19, 14:25
Velocities from my chrono on my G17 @ 10 feet, 10 round average:
Blazer 124 fmj -AVE: 1088 SD:69 Blazer Brass Case: 1047 SD:43
Blazer 115fmj - AVE: 1127 SD: 68

PB..MY favorite fmj 9mm is MEN 124gr...out of my G19 & g17 its VERY accurate. That & Winchester NATO are great, Ive shot so many thousands of each, all been 100%.
MEN 124 fmj
G19: AVE: 1068 ES:45
G17:AVE: 1085 ES: 35

Winchester NATO
G19: AVE: 1131 ES: 55
Winchester Steel Case 115 fmj
G19 AVE: 1057 ES: 46