PDA

View Full Version : Hodge Defense Barrels

Bomba07
10-12-19, 12:19
Im interested to hear a little more about these barrels. Supposedly, they're optimized for M855A1 EPR rounds or higher pressure 5.56 rounds. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. Im not super concerned with accuracy, as long as its 1.5 MOA Im happy. I just want a CHF barrel with a taper profile and the Hodge barrel has it, but it's expensive. A lot of what I have read regarding Hodge stuff often creates an argument on whether or not it's worth the cost. Im just curious if the claims made on specific websites/forums about the greatness of this Hodge stuff has been followed up on. Thanks!

vicious_cb
10-12-19, 12:49
Im interested to hear a little more about these barrels. Supposedly, they're optimized for M855A1 EPR rounds or higher pressure 5.56 rounds. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. Im not super concerned with accuracy, as long as its 1.5 MOA Im happy. I just want a CHF barrel with a taper profile and the Hodge barrel has it, but it's expensive. A lot of what I have read regarding Hodge stuff often creates an argument on whether or not it's worth the cost. Im just curious if the claims made on specific websites/forums about the greatness of this Hodge stuff has been followed up on. Thanks!

Hodge barrels are cold hammer forged barrels made by FN using a proprietary steel/process thats on par to Aubert & Duval steel used in HK barrels. You are paying top dollar for the better materials and extra QC that goes into the barrels. "Optimized" for M855A1 is just a smaller gas port which is not even that much smaller. The 14.5's are a hair smaller than other companies like BCMs port sizing andthe latest batch of 12.5" barrels have larger ports for running mostly unsuppressed.

themonk
10-12-19, 17:49
Are you looking for the 12.5" or 14.5 barrel? If 14.5" I think there are a ton of great barrels out there and unless you are looking for barrel life I think there are better deals to be had. The new DD barels are shooters and have tightened up their gas ports.

If you looking to make a top end upper in 12.5", after lots and lots of research I came to the conclusion you have two options - Hodge or V7. There are not a ton of barrel options in this length. You have BCM, DD, Centurian, and a few lesser barrels like Ballistic Advantage. From info I have gathered the BCM is a solid 2 MOA gun. the DD is a solid 1.5 moa gun and thats with a number of different loads and is probably the one to buy if you want a solid 12.5". Rainier used to make a great 12.5 but they no longer do.

I am of the belief that the Hodge is the best cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel you can by in the 12.5" length. If you are looking for laser accuracy the V7 is the way to go. I have a buddy who build up 2 uppers around that barrel and they are both .5 moa shooter. It shoots 1.2 moa on average with wolf gold. The V7 weighs a lot more than the Hodge and its life expectancy suppressed is much much shorter than the hodge.

I have a 12.5" Hodge upper.

My barrel is sub MOA all day with the right ammo. It can also be way wacky with the wrong ammo 4-6 moa. It likes heavy bullets. My gun can do moa (.8-1 moa) with PCM m855, PCM match, Federal GMM, BH 77 BTHP and surprisingly BH 55gr tsx. It can do sub 1.5 moa with Federal fusion and Honady frontier 75 gr. It does not like any magtech or Honady tap sbr.

I'm still in the I dont know what to think about my upper faze but its growing on me. Mine is setup with an A5H2 50/50 suppressed and I have had no issues with it being under gassed. Sometimes is a little slow so I may swap to a A5H1. I am running a Leupold 1x6 on it.

Feel free to ask questions.

jpmuscle
10-12-19, 17:53
Can someone tell me what a vaporware hodge barrel will do better than a Colt SOCOM?

I’m genuinely interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

themonk
10-12-19, 18:00
Google "Hodge rifles a gimmick?". There is a good long thread over at arfcom with that name.

themonk
10-12-19, 18:01
Can someone tell me what a vaporware hodge barrel will do better than a Colt SOCOM?

I’m genuinely interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barrel life, profile, weight, gas port size.