PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still watching the kowtowing NBA?

NWPilgrim
10-15-19, 19:05
I suppose I was naive in the world of sports not to know how beholden sports leagues are to clothing companies and them to China. And how much audience revenue they seek in China. Now that Hong Kong and the NBA tweets have revealed this nefarious overlord relationship, especially with the NBA, I am sickened.

I have never been a big basketball viewer but am wondering if this “reveal” and LeBron’s apologetics for China have moved others to dump NBA viewing? I mean the NBA struts itself as inner city justice league. US police are brutal thugs? But breaking Chinese bones (according to Xi) is fine?

tn1911
10-15-19, 19:19
I want to live in a world without the NFL or the NBA...

Sam
10-15-19, 19:20
Still watching? .... haven't watched them before, ain't gonna start now.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-15-19, 19:24
The juxtaposition between the treatment of Trump as a dangerous despot and North Carolina over their bathroom concentration camps versus China and their actual despot and real concentration camps is just too rich.

It isn't that the NBA is pro-China, it just shows that they are pro NBA getting money. They think these positions are the most advantageous in the long run- and maybe they are. I haven't watched a full game in decades and can't name half the teams. To me it is the retirement home for awesome college players, which I do watch with some regularity.

F the NBA, NASCAR, NIKE, P&G all these corporate virtue signaling marketing plans. They go after bathrooms, the 2A, Betsy Ross shoes and white guys in general as the root of all evil, but when it comes to actually facing a real evil in the world, they whiff, drop to their knees and deep throat Winnie the Pooh.

Arik
10-15-19, 19:46
Saw headlines about it, didn't have time to read. Anyone have a cliff Notes version?

Also, never watched basketball.

AKDoug
10-15-19, 20:08
The last time I watched the NBA, Larry Bird and Michael Jordan were still a thing. I haven't sat down and watched a professional sporting event of ANY type in three years. I don't miss it a bit.

SteyrAUG
10-15-19, 20:20
I want to live in a world without the NFL or the NBA...

+1

And any other sport where adults are paid MILLIONS to play childrens games. Hong Kong is poised to become another Tienamen Square, don't think they aren't capable of doing it.

I'm actually sad it takes a sportstard like LeBraun to get people talking about this. Because honestly I'm usually "who cares what a basketball player thinks about politics", it's right up there with how concerned I am about the opinion of random Hollywood celebrities who honestly "play pretend" for a living. But given how much sports apparel crap funnels money into China I guess it's an actual issue.

I suggest everyone "take a knee" and not attend NBA games and not watch them on TV. Want to hurt them? Cut off the money flow.

SteyrAUG
10-15-19, 20:31
Saw headlines about it, didn't have time to read. Anyone have a cliff Notes version?

Also, never watched basketball.

Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey tweeted a message of support of Hong Kong’s demonstrators, saying: “Fight for freedom, stand with Hong Kong.”

LeBron says he believes Rockets GM Daryl Morey wasn’t educated when he spoke about Hong Kong and that his tweet could have hurt a lot of people, including financially.

James then made a comment in response to a question about whether Morey should be punished for his controversial tweet.

“So many people could have been harmed, not only financially but physically, emotionally, spiritually. So just be careful what we tweet and what we say and what we do. Even though yes, we do have freedom of speech, it can be a lot of negative that comes with it.”

Protesters said his comments smacked of a double standard, because he’s used his clout as a sports superstar to press for social causes in the US.

“Please remember, all NBA players, what you said before: ‘Black lives matter.’ Hong Kong lives also matter!” one of the protesters, William Mok, 36, told a crowd of hundreds.

Others said James’ comments made it seem like he’s more worried about money than people.

soulezoo
10-15-19, 20:48
Exactly. Especially a sport with no diversity! No diversity = racist!!!

Ned Christiansen
10-15-19, 20:59
And Apple? China says jump and they ask how high. Because all their stuff is made there in the aforementioned concentration camps.

"Shut down the app the protesters are using" and bang, it's gone.

It's like China owns 49% of Free Speech Inc. How far off is the hostile takeover...?

jpmuscle
10-15-19, 21:27
Exactly. Especially a sport with no diversity! No diversity = racist!!!

Racism only works in one direction, remember?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand58742
10-15-19, 22:40
The last time I watched the NBA, Larry Bird and Michael Jordan were still a thing. I haven't sat down and watched a professional sporting event of ANY type in three years. I don't miss it a bit.

I stopped watching after Jordan retired from the Bulls.

I delve into collegiate sports these days. Liberals are trying to eff that up too.

THCDDM4
10-15-19, 23:46
Just another reason hockey is the superior sport to all others.

You will NEVER see a professional hockey player take a knee for the national anthem nor support any ridiculous political bullshit.

It’s the last professional sport left that’s worth watching and the only one that has any class.

NWPilgrim
10-16-19, 05:47
I agree there are much better sports like hockey to watch that don’t denigrate the country that gives them the opportunity to compete and earn a good living.

The NBA is rife with wannabe thugs and crass prima donnas. LeBron continues to use media to dig his commie hypocrisy hole deeper and deeper.

Now he tries to nuance his criticism as being about timing and not content of Morey’s post. Whines that it caused him and the league a week of difficulties. And then tried to deflect by blaming America for having “real problems that need to be addressed!”

Hello! Sorry, it was not Morey’s post that caused you difficulties. It was your cash cow of Communist China that caused you difficulties, and your allegiance to their money. You are willing to keep your pie hole shut when the commies tell you to be quiet, but in the US you don’t hesitate to criticize politicians by name or complain about social ills. Admit it, LeBron, you are a money whore and will lick the boots of the highest bidder.

Since commie money is much more important to you and you find nothing in China to criticize why not just pack up your precious family and live and play in China full time so you can enjoy that wonderful place? Please.

just a scout
10-16-19, 06:58
These assholes ruined football and soccer, now basketball. I just hope these Commies keep their dirty dickgrbbers off of baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Watrdawg
10-16-19, 07:42
I haven't watched an NBA game in at least 10 years. I can barely stand the NFL and will watch snippets here and there. I stick to the college game in both sports. When I watched Lebron and what he said I about puked! He basically bent over and touched his toes for the Chinese!

Whiskey_Bravo
10-16-19, 08:47

Same here. Never cared about the NBA and stopped watching the NFL a couple of years ago. Saturday football and a little MLB here and there is all I watch.

3 AE
10-16-19, 08:52
Just another reason hockey is the superior sport to all others.

You will NEVER see a professional hockey player take a knee for the national anthem nor support any ridiculous political bullshit.

It’s the last professional sport left that’s worth watching and the only one that has any class.

You nailed it! Any trash talking gets taken care of out on the ice. Mano a mano. I'm not fond of Canada's social agenda, but when it comes to their hockey and their fans, class act. Here are videos of Maple Leaf and Oiler fans carrying on our National Anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHSaHRd4Q48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v324_vjrDr8

THCDDM4
10-16-19, 09:39
You nailed it! Any trash talking gets taken care of out on the ice. Mano a mano. I'm not fond of Canada's social agenda, but when it comes to their hockey and their fans, class act. Here are videos of Maple Leaf and Oiler fans carrying on our National Anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHSaHRd4Q48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v324_vjrDr8

Yep. Canadiens as a whole are a respectful people. Their government is messed up too and the social agenda off the wall, but I always enjoy debating politics with a Canadien, it’s always over a beer or four and no one calls the other person names or gets angry and walks off.

Civility is a good thing and the left in this country needs to get their collective act together when it comes to such things.

SteyrAUG
10-16-19, 15:19
These assholes ruined football and soccer, now basketball. I just hope these Commies keep their dirty dickgrbbers off of baseball.

I don't think communists ruined basketball, I think the people who play for the NBA ruined basketball.

jsbhike
10-16-19, 15:30
I stopped watching after Jordan retired from the Bulls.

I delve into collegiate sports these days. Liberals are trying to eff that up too.

Mid 90's I lived one year in the same dorm as the men's basketball team. The fire alarm on their floor got pulled in the middle of the night at least once a week until their practices started then 2 or 3 times in the wee hours during finals week when they had no games or practices. That along with at least one of them having a handicapped parking sticker wasn't exactly endearing.

That none of them could get to their rooms on the 2nd floor without using the elevator wasn't impressive either.

Biggy
10-16-19, 15:51
IMHO, the NBA, NFL and NASCAR have all gone to hell, and I have not watched them in years.

titsonritz
10-16-19, 19:04
There no "still" about it, never had an interest.

NWPilgrim
10-16-19, 22:24
Yeah the NBA groveling to China’s hurt feelings over one twitter posts appalling considering how quick they are to blame American police and politics. I hope every time an NBA player opens his trap about some US social issue he gets swamped on social media with pics of his “bow to China” admonishments.

jpmuscle
10-16-19, 22:32

To be fair basketball was always lame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-17-19, 08:44
I’d like to see millennials pay for season tickets at any of these sports. I know these guys are going after these political positions because they play well with the young demographic, but I think they forget who has the money to spend.

Sry0fcr
10-17-19, 13:21
All I learned about the NBA was that it was a business with hundreds of millions of dollars tied to the Chinese. But then again, I already knew that. So F$#k yeah, I'm still gonna watch. Western Conference is going to be nuts now that the Warriors' stranglehold has been broken.

If you wanna let politics infect and ruin everything for you that's your prerogative. But you guys burned all your Nikes and Levi's and don't watch any Marvel or Star Wars movies, ESPN, or History Channel because of the damn Libs at Disney right? :suicide: