PDA

View Full Version : EOTech 512 vs. Aimpoint Comp ML2

GK70
11-15-08, 21:36
I have a newbie question.
I am looking to purchase a red dot sight/scope for my DPMS AR-15 in 5.56mm.
I pretty much just use it for paper targets on the range, plinking cans, varmint hunting and home protection.
I am looking for the best I deal I can get, as I have limited myself to $500.
I have narrowed mysearch down to either the EOTech 512 with a mount from LaRue tactical or the Aimpoint Comp ML2 with a cantilever mount from LaRue tactical as well. That may be overkill for someone like me but I have never purchased such a high quality item and not really shure what to expect.
I would greatly appreciate any and all information, suggestions and recommendations. Thanks.

Patrick Aherne
11-15-08, 23:55
If your life might ever depend on it, get an Aimpoint. I have been issued, as in FREE, three Eotechs. My issue patrol rifle ahs a compact ACOG and my SWAT rifle has an Aimpoint ML2 that I paid for myself. If I was you, I would call up Grant at G&R Tactical and get an Aimpoint C3 in a Larue mount. It will be cheaper and will do everything you need. I got my ML 2 used, so it made sense. I am not a HSLD uy and I don't assault enemy encampments from 400 meters away, so the C3 with 15' of water resitance and 50k hours of battery life is good enough for me. Plus, it will be far below your budget of $500, and it won't break like an Eotech.

DocGKR
11-16-08, 02:15
As Pat stated, get the Aimpoint...

sff70
11-16-08, 08:19
Do as Pat says.

This past week, one of my guys broke the allen head bolt that secures his 512 to the M1913 rail. Snapped in half. Sight fell off carbine.

The broken part of the bolt is stuck in the weaver nut, and will require an easy out to remove it.

While I was working on the 512, I checked the battery box. Had I not been paying attention when I removed the batteries, the battery contacts could have fallen out unnoticed and lost.

This is a Ref F model 512, made in 2007.

I've maintained this rifle/optic and it's never been abused or excessively torqued (when I installed it, I ensured it was done to 16 inch pounds, loctited, and witnessed it).

The 512 shows no signs of being dropped, used as a club, etc.

I like EOtechs. I really do. I have owned a 512 and I currently own a 552, however I will be converting over to aimpoints as finances allow.

Aimpoints are much more KISS and have less to go wrong. You can leave them on for over 5 yrs before changing the battery, too. Not having to mess with turning on the sight when time and stress are against you is a nice thing, too.

JSGlock34
11-16-08, 09:54
There's a great thread on here about using Ebay and Microsoft's Cash Back live program to score great deals on optics. With your $500 budget and that program, you can easily score a Aimpoint Comp ML2 from a reputable seller (such as SmartGunner) or even a more recent optic like the T-1 with LaRue mount.

Having owned an EoTech 512 and several different Aimpoint models, my preference runs to the Aimpoints. I find the battery life of the Aimpoints a true advantage.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=18148

LettersFromEarth
11-16-08, 13:33
EOTech fan here--get an Aimpoint. Captain Insano Battery life compared to...well...to ANYTHING that takes a battery! :)

Or, if your leaning in the direction of the EOTech, look at Trijicon RX30. It is configured like a HUD sight (EOTech) but it doesnt go through "rolling balckouts" like the L3 products are known to do.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-16-08, 14:20
i have a 2004 Rev F 552. i like it. i use it a lot, but i'm still in the Aimpoint camp.

C3, ML2, M2 or ML3 can all be done for around or under $500.

ahescock
11-21-08, 13:57
I was in the same boat as you last year trying to decide if I should go with an Aimpoint or Eotech. I decided to get the Aimpoint for several reasons (1) its smaller than the Eotech, (2) it mounts very nicely on RRA's tactical carry handle, and (3) battery life, battery life, battery life.

I am very happy with my Aimpoint. I have dropped my rifle a couple of times (hk clip came loose) right on the Aimpoint without any issues. The 2moa dot is plenty big enough for CQB, especially if you turn it all the way up.

Either choice would probably serve you well because they are both quality. But the Aimpoint is the way to go. I have seen a couple of cheap red dots at the range, and they are worthless. You can't see the dot in daylight and they look like they came out of a gumball machine. Buy once, cry once.

SMGLee
11-25-08, 14:33
At 1000 hours, the 512 with a Lithium batteries are not on par with the Aimpoint but AA batteries are not expensive.

I like the advantage of the EOTech reticle which enable me to shoot just a little faster than using an aimpoint.

another advantage of using 512 is that it has a build in mount, as far as the thumb screw or allen screw, it is never a good idea to over tighten the screw. usually I just give a nice hand tighten with the thumb screw and then a half turn with a coin of something to give you slightly more leverage.

With all the EOtechs in the field used by professionals, the optics has its advantages.