PDA

View Full Version : Dan Wesson Pointman 7

matt7184
11-05-06, 08:32
Didn't want to thread hijack, so I started a new thread.

gotm4 mentioned

The Dan Wesson 1911s are pretty nice too.

They seem to have many good small parts used.

Curious to how everyone feels about their 1911s.

bullitt5172
11-05-06, 10:42
I'll tell you my impression of them. I have owned a CBOB, Pointman 7 and a Razorback. I had them all at the same time. I bought the PM7 and was initially impressed and went back to buy the RZ and the CBOB.

All three of them were very impressive looking at the shop. Ed Brown beavertails and safeties, nice grips etc. They were all very sharp and had not been dehorned at all. Strike one. When I took them to the range I had numerous fail to feed issues with all three of them. None would run, at all. 700 or so rounds later through them (each) they still would function, at all. Called DW and was told I could send them back (at my dime) but there wasn't much they could do. I was told to polish the feedramps with Flitz, didn't do anything. Strike two. Then I found that the firing pin stop didn't fit at right and the extracters could clock quite a bit. This would explain the final issue, they would eject anywhere and with no pattern. Strike three. Sold all three of them and will never consider a DW pistol ever again.

Other stuff I didn't like, they all had cast frames, poor mainspring housing fit, incorrectly machined feed ramps (read about this after I sold them) and cheap factory mags. I tried all kinds of mags to get them to run and nothing was successful.

GreenMtnTac
11-05-06, 12:44
There are quite a few different Pointman models. I owned one years ago, a Pointman Minor as I recollect, and was not real impressed with the gun. I sold it after only briefly owning it.

I now have a DW Patriot that has been a real impressive pistol. These have an external extractor and are very tightly fitted. It has been 100 percent reliable: zero failures of any kind from right out of the box. Accuracy has been as good as my go-to 1911, a Les Baer Concept series. I guess I can't complain.

Both guns were purchased before CZ bought DW. I have no idea what changes, if any, the buy-out produced.