PDA

View Full Version : Air Force GAU-5A Rifle

Midwest Industries
10-24-19, 10:39
As many of you possibly know we were involved in the production of the Air Force GAU-5A Rifle which is a break down carbine that ejects with the pilot and gives them a means to defend themselves.

MORE INFO:

https://www.airforcetimes.com/off-duty/gearscout/irons/2019/05/31/aircrews-are-carrying-more-emergency-firepower/

https://www.armytimes.com/resizer/SybTXvyEduXC3qADhz8Dq6D-uhE=/600x0/filters:quality(100)/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-mco.s3.amazonaws.com/public/BYOJ2KZHPBHFVAHTFYVEYSWF6U.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54866/Gau5-1135924.jpg

We are proud to have been involved in the development of this project and have been discussing the idea of releasing a clone in pistol form.

Your thoughts on offering this would be appreciated.

gaijin
10-24-19, 13:53
Well done.

I would be interested in pistol version. I’ve found the SBa3 brace hard to beat in the AR platform.

mack7.62
10-24-19, 17:20
If you can keep the cost reasonable I think it will sell.

Midwest Industries
10-24-19, 17:31
Well done.

I would be interested in pistol version. I’ve found the SBa3 brace hard to beat in the AR platform.

Thanks and we agree. SB A3 is awesome.

Korgs130
10-24-19, 17:38
Very cool and much needed.

Diamondback
10-24-19, 18:21
Thanks and we agree. SB A3 is awesome.

A4 might be more "clone close," though. Is it a full 14.5 M4, or did they take it down to 12.5 or less? I've been toying with the idea of building one of these as a Bugout Bag gun... Can't commit at this point, but if you do a no-lower "DIY Kit" I' might be interested in one of those. :)

Supremely cool would be a full Ejection Seat Kit package including the case. :D

dcale101
10-26-19, 09:56
I would be interested in a pistol version as well.

flenna
10-27-19, 11:43
I would be interested in a pistol version as well.

Ditto. Or maybe a conversion kit, too.

ST911
10-27-19, 14:53
No compromise on build quality, no downgrade to any hobby-grade components, no "good as." As close to spec as possible, in every way.

Sell a base gun individually, both in factory-SBR and pistol configuration. Use a GI stock look (or as near thereto as possible) for the pistol "brace."

Sell a "seat kit" package configuration with mags, whatever accessory pack would be included or mounted to the gun in the airframe.

Diamondback
10-27-19, 17:47
No compromise on build quality, no downgrade to any hobby-grade components, no "good as." As close to spec as possible, in every way.

Sell a base gun individually, both in factory-SBR and pistol configuration. Use a GI stock look (or as near thereto as possible) for the pistol "brace."

Sell a "seat kit" package configuration with mags, whatever accessory pack would be included or mounted to the gun in the airframe.

THIS. All of this in both "complete gun" and "parts kit, just add lower" options. :)

trio
02-12-20, 23:56
I know I’m reviving an old thread, but I’d love to buy the upper. I’ve got an SBR’d lower that’s been awaiting something perfect like this since pretty much the sunset of the AWB 15+ years ago. Right now one of Pat Roger’s colt commando upper is on it. I’d love to just store that upper and put this thing on the lower

JeffM.
02-13-20, 12:43
I know I’m reviving an old thread, but I’d love to buy the upper. I’ve got an SBR’d lower that’s been awaiting something perfect like this since pretty much the sunset of the AWB 15+ years ago. Right now one of Pat Roger’s colt commando upper is on it. I’d love to just store that upper and put this thing on the lower

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-GAU5-P-5-56-Clone-Pistol-Upper-p/mi-gau5a-pu.htm

Just not in stock at this time.

Diamondback
02-13-20, 13:09
I was just toying with the idea of a revival myself... to spitball a discussion topic for our SME's.

If we were looking for a compact red-dot that would fit in the seat-pan kit and still be durable enough to survive the knockaround of ejection and impact, is there anything in the RMR or Docter size-class that would be a viable contender? Remember, it has to not only be functional but HOLD ZERO all the way through the ride, including 12-14 G's in the ejection, the 3-6 G's of the chute popping, and the forces of impacting ground, all in a matter of a few seconds to a few minutes.