PDA

View Full Version : RMR or SRO...... for a competition handgun ?

Pappabear
10-24-19, 16:09
What is your favorite RDS for your handgun? Im putting a SRO on my Legion X5 for competition. I shot my Sig P320 compact with their standard RDS Romeo and did OK. So Im taking the full plunge on RDS with hand gunning.

What says you mi amigos?

PB

m1a_scoutguy
10-24-19, 16:51
For competition go SRO all day long. I don't have one (SRO) but have a RMR on my CZ-07 and really like it but its smaller screen versus the SRO will make it harder I'm sure. Don't be afraid to check out the Holosun 507,,I have one but have not installed it yet,it has a bigger lens than the RMR also but not sure if its the same/bigger/smaller than the SRO.
https://holosun.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=61

crossgun
10-24-19, 17:31
I own 4 RMRs and recently picked up an SRO. I was really surprised how much faster and natural the SRO presented over the RMR. SRO is now on the game pistol and RMRs still reside on my work blasters.

Walker_Texasranger
10-24-19, 18:52
Would that fit on there? I thought the X5 was only cut for a DPP or Romeo.

lsllc
10-24-19, 21:57
I’m running an SRO on my X5 Legion. Love it. It’s hard to miss and FAST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m1a_scoutguy
10-24-19, 22:47
I own 4 RMRs and recently picked up an SRO. I was really surprised how much faster and natural the SRO presented over the RMR. SRO is now on the game pistol and RMRs still reside on my work blasters.

I’m running an SRO on my X5 Legion. Love it. It’s hard to miss and FAST.

Yea that sounds right, the RMR is Duty rated, the SRO is NOT, its clearly made for competition! Isllc did you have the X5 machined so the SRO would work? The good thing is the RMR/SRO takes the same footprint! Kinda funny in the beginning,,plus great review! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzjgOq60vFE

YVK
10-25-19, 00:32
Would that fit on there? I thought the X5 was only cut for a DPP or Romeo.

You need this https://shop.springerprecision.com/SP-Sig-M17-X-Compact-X-Five-LEGION-RMR-Mount-SP0245.htm.

I know that the question was about competition, in which case it is a no-brainer (Trijicon's share of optics used in CO Nationals before SRO release was a whopping 3%), but one of my SROs is sitting on my carry G19. I know, Cowan said it wasn't duty rated so I'll probably die in the streets. My second, competition, SRO just passed 2000 round mark without issues. My buddy feels that SRO auto adjust doesn't work as well as RMR, even though the guts are apparently the same, but I don't run mine on auto.

@PB: FWIW, three of my gaming buds have already moved from SRO to Romeo3Max. They feel it is a better optic for gaming. Mine is coming next week; we'll see what it does. Since you've not bought your SRO yet, maybe consider this other option.

lsllc
10-25-19, 05:21
Yea that sounds right, the RMR is Duty rated, the SRO is NOT, its clearly made for competition! Isllc did you have the X5 machined so the SRO would work? The good thing is the RMR/SRO takes the same footprint! Kinda funny in the beginning,,plus great review! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzjgOq60vFE

No. I have the Bobro M17 adapter plate. I’d includes a rear iron sight machined into the plate. I’m weird like that.

nightchief
10-25-19, 12:57
RM-06 on my defensive Handgun, which is a G19

rathos
10-25-19, 14:41
For competition I would go SRO all day long because of the larger window. You most likely won't have to worry about the less durability aspect.

Halo09
10-25-19, 14:44
SRO or Sig Max are going to be the 2 best for pistol work in my humble opinion.

MegademiC
10-25-19, 14:44
I carry and compete with an rmr on a g19.5.
If I make a dedicated race-gun, it will have an sro on it.

I dont want to mess around with adjusting brightness, turninng shit on and off, or dots that fail, or washout, so I’ve been sticking with trijicon.

skatz11
10-25-19, 14:47
The SRO has my first handgun RDS . I’ve been using for a few months and probably 2,000+ rounds with it. It’s on a G17 and I’ve been shooting carry optics in USPSA.

I had no trouble adapting to the sight. The large window is really forgiving and fast to pick up. I expected a longer learning curve to get comfortable. I have the 5 MOA dot and I’m glad that I went with that size. I would not want it any smaller. In fact I think there is some merit to a 7-9 MOA dot for competition and defensive use.

I’m considering an RMR or another SRO for my HD gun. The benefit to the RDS on a pistol was an eye opener to me. I had been resisting it for awhile but very happy that I gave the SRO try.

Jinete_Palido
10-25-19, 15:32
Can anyone comment on how the SRO compares to the RMR with respect to magnification and tint? I have an RMR that I have a hard time with because of the magnification/fisheye effect, and at dusk especially it is hard to see through because of the blue tint on the lens. Is the SRO any better in these aspects, or is the window just bigger. Thanks.

lsllc
10-25-19, 15:51
Fisheye and tint is there but significantly less so than that of an RMR. Leupold Delta Point Pro and Sig Romeo 1 Pro both have clearer glass. That said, target focused shooting it all disappears anyway.

FrankDude72
10-25-19, 17:32
That said, target focused shooting it all disappears anyway.

Amen to that. Best way to train the brain with these little RDSes.

old16inf
10-25-19, 18:42
My experience with the RMR was humbling -- with a steep learning curve. I have shot it three months in a row in club competition with lots of dry fire and range time too, and I am still far back in the pack. It is very accurate, but my target acquisition from the holster and transitions were slow, particularly if I had to move to a new firing position. Even after much practice the RMR is still slower for me than iron sights (as an IDPA Expert and USPSA B Class shooter). I suspect the SRO would help me do better in competition based on the comments I have seen.

WARRIOR45
10-25-19, 20:27
I have a lot of time behind the RMR and like it. Don’t have a lot of time behind the SRO, but really like the field of view it offers. The RMR is more durable.

Aceventura
10-25-19, 20:38
What moa for the SRO is recommended for competition? I shoot mainly IDPA

lsllc
10-25-19, 20:52

I think that’s a very personal decision. Many top shooters prefer 5 MOA. My eyes prefer the 2.5 because it seems a 2.5 looks almost as large as a 5 with my astigmatism.

Terp
10-25-19, 21:39
I carry an RMR and considered using it while shooting USPSA, given I am pretty fast with it and have no issues finding the dot on the draw (or through recoil) after a *bazilllion* presentations; but the SRO is like going from a 32" TV to a 60" TV...incredible views from all angles. :)

I think the 3.25MOA of the RMR is perfect...didn't want to go larger to the 5MOA, but the SRO next smaller size is 2.5MOA (I think)...didn't want to go smaller than the RMR, so went with the 5MOA...no regrets.

I just sent off another slide (G45) to get milled for another 5MOA.

Hopefully they will 'ruggedize' the SROs down the road and it could rival the RMR as the best carry optic out there.

YVK
10-26-19, 10:34

If you put them side to side, you'll see only very subtle difference. However, 5 pops bigger and brighter on max, and that to me gives an advantage in a very bright light and against non-contrast targets. I am also a guy who runs DPP on one setting only - max, so that may be my personal thing. That said, two shooting buddies have sold their 2.5s and got 5s instead.

Shane1
10-30-19, 03:38
SRO for competition for sure. The window size makes it easy to pick up. I did Sage Dynamics class with one but am going back to RMR for work stuff.

m1a_scoutguy
10-30-19, 13:15
I have a Holosun 507c but have not mounted it yet but it looks like there is a new model out, kinda the same thing only different,;), titanium housing so it should be tougher. Decent review from Aaron C for what its worth. The screen/lens is bigger than the RMR for sure but maybe not as big as the SRO,but for a couple hundred bucks less it could be worth it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK0O6eI5rZU

GJM
10-30-19, 14:01
I have a Holosun 507c but have not mounted it yet but it looks like there is a new model out, kinda the same thing only different,;), titanium housing so it should be tougher. Decent review from Aaron C for what its worth. The screen/lens is bigger than the RMR for sure but maybe not as big as the SRO,but for a couple hundred bucks less it could be worth it.

Not sure about the new model, but I found the front lens on the 507 to scratch too easily. I have a large gouge on one of mine from where a case bounced off the front lens.

MegademiC
10-30-19, 20:46
Not sure about the new model, but I found the front lens on the 507 to scratch too easily. I have a large gouge on one of mine from where a case bounced off the front lens.

Fwiw, with the sun at steep angles, holosun users have complained about washout when it never crossed my mind (rmr user here).

Only happened on 2 occasions with 3 shooters total, but it SEEMS the trijicon coatings/lenses are better for these situations

Ive actually never had the dot wash out in natural lighting in auto mode.

Jmacken37
10-31-19, 12:51

Steve Fisher speaks highly of the Holosun pistol optics.